• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NP900X3D-A01US-13-3-Inch-Premium-U...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox

Today only, get a Samsung Series 9 premium Ultrabook for $300 off. This slim 13.3-inch Ultrabook is powered by a 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5-2537M processor, providing the best in portability, style, and power.

What's in the Box
Series 9 laptop with 13.3-inch screen (model NP900X3D-A01US), AC adapter, rechargeable battery, operating instructions

Warranty
1-year limited warranty on parts and labor.

Environmental
Energy Star (5.2)
EPEAT Gold

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
My SSD is showing up as 94GB which is 25% below stated. Even considering variability in drives this is absurdly low. Wha... (more)

edick (Jan. 07, 2013 @ 4:33p) |

How's the touchpad on this thing? Some are reporting it being very buggy? Just curious.

antang (Jan. 08, 2013 @ 5:00p) |

I didn't find it to be that bad. It was a little jumpy at first, but then I adjusted the settings to decrease the sensit... (more)

edick (Jan. 08, 2013 @ 5:23p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Previous-generation Sandybridge clearance stock. No discrete GPU. 900 lines is eh.

a-max said:   Previous-generation Sandybridge clearance stock. No discrete GPU. 900 lines is eh.

What are you talking about!
This has a 1600 X900 resolution AND a 128 GB SSD! AND a long battery life!

This is a GREAT deal compared to what is out there. And Samsung makes quality laptops, unlike Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba!

bargainron said:   a-max said:   Previous-generation Sandybridge clearance stock. No discrete GPU. 900 lines is eh.

What are you talking about!
This has a 1600 X900 resolution AND a 128 GB SSD! AND a long battery life!

This is a GREAT deal compared to what is out there. And Samsung makes quality laptops, unlike Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba!


If you don't think Lenovo makes good laptops, you're clearly not a credible source. Thinkpads have been the go-to since forever for businesses that have any sort of important information, and there's a reason for that.

a-max said:   Previous-generation Sandybridge clearance stock. No discrete GPU. 900 lines is eh.

I can't keep track of which core is good or bad these days, which makes it hard to gauge a good price.

Can you point to a price close to this with Ivy Bridge architecture and an SSD?

I think this is a decent price except all samsung notebooks seemed to have a really bad wifi issue and I am saying it from the experience. I had bought 9 series with i7 and had to return it even after they replaced the wifi card. Maybe it is the architect that is causing the wifi issue otherwise, I would say this is the best notebook.

This is an excellent deal on a great ultrabook. Yes, its an older-gen processor but no one will be pushing it to its limits on just 4GB RAM. The current gen retails at twice this price.

4GB of memory is the max you can have. That is a limiting factor.

This has a 2nd Gen Sandy Bridge processor - but it's still a great deal!
I bought it for my sister for $799 on black friday... it is a beautiful ultrabook. Windows 8 took a bit of time to configure, but both of us love this laptop and everything worked without a glitch. Just bought this for myself on Amazon.

fatxman said:   4GB of memory is the max you can have. That is a limiting factor.

Is that for sure or is that just the listed max? My current acer is listed as 4GB max but can actually recognize and utilize 8gigs. Any owners tried this?

I believe Ivy Bridge buys you longer battery performance and improved graphics performance. Ivy Bridge might allow you to play some graphically intensive games that Sandy Bridge won't.

The last line from this page:
The end result [of Ivy Bridge after Sandy Bridge] is a reasonable increase in CPU performance (for a tick), a big step in GPU performance, and a decrease in power consumption.

Another reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Benchmarks-Intel-Ivy-Bridge-CPU...

LOL: Up to 9 hours of battery life (6-cell battery; 3610 mAh)

Battery life is becoming the way of Walkie Talkies. 30-mile range!

6-Cell normally implies 56,000 to 65,000 capacity. What's next? 30-Cell battery (oh yeah, AA batteries)?

can these play blu-ray movies (encoded) and/or with external drive ?

seems a good price .. getting hard to resist

freedealjunkie said:   can these play blu-ray movies (encoded) and/or with external drive ?

seems a good price .. getting hard to resist

Not sure what your "and/or" is about, but you would need to install BD playback software, in addition to attaching an external BD driver. Windows does not supply the codecs natively. Corel WinDVD and Cyberlink PowerDVD are the two primary options, but there are other options available.

If you don't care about sleek body, Lenovo Ideapads at Fry's clean this machine's clock in terms of regular deals. I scored a SB i7 Y560p for $599 over a year ago.

If you need a laptop today, it may be a good deal. Otherwise, I'd wait.

P.S. Don't forget AMD A10's if you want cheap graphics - makes SB HD 3000 whimper.

Hoogineer said:   freedealjunkie said:   can these play blu-ray movies (encoded) and/or with external drive ?

seems a good price .. getting hard to resist

Not sure what your "and/or" is about, but you would need to install BD playback software, in addition to attaching an external BD driver. Windows does not supply the codecs natively. Corel WinDVD and Cyberlink PowerDVD are the two primary options, but there are other options available.


but can the CPU / GPU power handle the BD playback ?

asuka said:   If you don't care about sleek body, Lenovo Ideapads at Fry's clean this machine's clock in terms of regular deals. I scored a SB i7 Y560p for $599 over a year ago.

If you need a laptop today, it may be a good deal. Otherwise, I'd wait.

P.S. Don't forget AMD A10's if you want cheap graphics - makes SB HD 3000 whimper.


Looking for a light weight laptop that I can carry. Am not travelling now but am expected to. So dont want to lug around a 6+lb laptop. At the same time dont want a Netbook kinda low powered ones.

U100 Sandisk SSD kills the deal.

I believe the ram is soldered to the board

bsell said:   I believe the ram is soldered to the board
yes, cannot be upgraded.

Also, there are horror stories about the touchpad....google it.

Am I able to upgrade the SSD? Would love to be able to swap out at least that since I can't the ram from my current lappy.

edick said:   Am I able to upgrade the SSD? Would love to be able to swap out at least that since I can't the ram from my current lappy.

Yes you can. Be sure you have access to all of the drivers however. It uses a mSATA SSD.


skardem said:   I have this note book and upgraded the ram to 16 GB. Hibernation now takes longer, still only seconds. 16 GB fit my needs. 4gb maybe Superior.

The screen is a very bite IPS. The touchpad is not quite as good as a mac.
Thinner than the air. I would have gotten the air for the touchpad but I need windows. This laptop is nearly as good.


you may have a different model:

4 GB of installed DDR3 RAM (1600 MHz; maximum capacity)

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP900X3D-A01US-specs


Don't know why you would not say you had a different model though....

you are right no upgrade on mem

diswes said:   Also, there are horror stories about the touchpad....google it.

I read in the reviews that once the driver was upgraded - that fixed the touchpad.

the memory is also fine.

the SSD seems to be a deal breaker. Apparently U100 has some bad reviews.
And of course the WiFi card .. lot of bad reviews on the card.

i think I will pass on this.

diswes said:   edick said:   Am I able to upgrade the SSD? Would love to be able to swap out at least that since I can't the ram from my current lappy.

Yes you can. Be sure you have access to all of the drivers however. It uses a mSATA SSD.


Thank you. Not sure exactly what mSATA is but my SSD is only 6 months old. I will google it to make sure I got everything in order. Thank you!

drupha said:   bargainron said:   a-max said:   Previous-generation Sandybridge clearance stock. No discrete GPU. 900 lines is eh.

What are you talking about!
This has a 1600 X900 resolution AND a 128 GB SSD! AND a long battery life!

This is a GREAT deal compared to what is out there. And Samsung makes quality laptops, unlike Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba!


If you don't think Lenovo makes good laptops, you're clearly not a credible source. Thinkpads have been the go-to since forever for businesses that have any sort of important information, and there's a reason for that.


Im guessing he meant regular Lenovos. Thinkpads are the gold standard, but regular Lenovos are pretty mediocre at best.

freedealjunkie said:   diswes said:   Also, there are horror stories about the touchpad....google it.

I read in the reviews that once the driver was upgraded - that fixed the touchpad.

the memory is also fine.

the SSD seems to be a deal breaker. Apparently U100 has some bad reviews.
And of course the WiFi card .. lot of bad reviews on the card.

i think I will pass on this.


Yes as to WIFI and SSD issue. I've had this laptop (another model but essentially the same) ended up returning it since even with updated drivers the touchpad wasn't 100%.

the least they can do is throw in a SD reader, would be nice to have an external disk drive included.

WorkerAnt said:   the least they can do is throw in a SD reader, would be nice to have an external disk drive included.

There is an sd slot.

edick said:   WorkerAnt said:   the least they can do is throw in a SD reader, would be nice to have an external disk drive included.

There is an sd slot.


The SD slot is basically hidden; it is a tiny door on the side of the laptop.

I just wanted to say that I bought a much fatter and heavier laptop at a better price from another manufacturer that I'm sure is more reliable. So if you needed a very different device and had a time machine, you could get the great deal that I got. I'm so glad I could contribute to this discussion.

cyfan said:   I just wanted to say that I bought a much fatter and heavier laptop at a better price from another manufacturer that I'm sure is more reliable. So if you needed a very different device and had a time machine, you could get the great deal that I got. I'm so glad I could contribute to this discussion.

But the real questions are: "Does it an AGP slot?" and "Is Netscape Navigator installed?"

diswes said:   edick said:   WorkerAnt said:   the least they can do is throw in a SD reader, would be nice to have an external disk drive included.

There is an sd slot.


The SD slot is basically hidden; it is a tiny door on the side of the laptop.


I see it now, it's very well hidden. LOL thanks. idk why they hide this while all the other connectors are opened.

freedealjunkie said:   Hoogineer said:   freedealjunkie said:   can these play blu-ray movies (encoded) and/or with external drive ?

seems a good price .. getting hard to resist

Not sure what your "and/or" is about, but you would need to install BD playback software, in addition to attaching an external BD driver. Windows does not supply the codecs natively. Corel WinDVD and Cyberlink PowerDVD are the two primary options, but there are other options available.


but can the CPU / GPU power handle the BD playback ?

The short answer is yes.

Any Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge chipset is more than capable. I have a Llano A6-3500 (triple-core, desktop model -- inferior to or on par with a Sandy Bridge i3) in my HTPC and plays BDs just fine. You probably can play BDs fine in anything with at least a 2 GHz CPU, so long as there isn't a lot going on in the background. An i5 is not a performance-limiting CPU. I'm sure Intel 2000/3000 graphics handle video playback without issue.

the only pros for Samsung is the resolution 1600 x 900 (much better than the 1366 x 768 that MOST ultrabooks seem to offer) and the backlit KB.

trying to stay under $1k for an Ultrabook ..

The Acer S5 cons is resolution and no backlit KB
the Samsung Series 9 has bad WiFi and bad trackpad
Asus Zenbook has trackpad and SSD issues

the Toshiba Portege Z935 seems to be the best bet; reviews are great too .. waiting for the price to drop a little before i jump on it... well the resolution is not the greatest but fits the fine balance. Backlit KB, light, decent processor i5 3317U, 6GB MEM standard.

also - I checked some of the 1920 x 1080 laptops (Asus S7, Acer etc) .. they seem to be good for watching videos; but for reading Web - the 13.3 screen is causing the letters to be very tiny.

freedealjunkie said:   the only pros for Samsung is the resolution 1600 x 900 (much better than the 1366 x 768 that MOST ultrabooks seem to offer) and the backlit KB.

trying to stay under $1k for an Ultrabook ..

The Acer S5 cons is resolution and no backlit KB
the Samsung Series 9 has bad WiFi and bad trackpad
Asus Zenbook has trackpad and SSD issues

the Toshiba Portege Z935 seems to be the best bet; reviews are great too .. waiting for the price to drop a little before i jump on it... well the resolution is not the greatest but fits the fine balance. Backlit KB, light, decent processor i5 3317U, 6GB MEM standard.

also - I checked some of the 1920 x 1080 laptops (Asus S7, Acer etc) .. they seem to be good for watching videos; but for reading Web - the 13.3 screen is causing the letters to be very tiny.

The z935 I saw in person at BB and I was not impressed as to the physical build quality of the laptop. If you are paying $800+ dollars for a laptop it should look and feel quality.

Skipping 10 Messages...
antang said:   edick said:   My SSD is showing up as 94GB which is 25% below stated. Even considering variability in drives this is absurdly low. What are thoughts on how I should handle this?

Edit: NVM, just noticed that there is about 22GB in recovery partitions on the drive... Those are going to be removed.


How's the touchpad on this thing? Some are reporting it being very buggy? Just curious.


I didn't find it to be that bad. It was a little jumpy at first, but then I adjusted the settings to decrease the sensitivity. I am now mostly using a usb mouse, but do go back to the touchpad without problems. I will update as I use it more but for me it wasn't a deal breaker.

The memory on the other hand does bother me a bit. When running installations I notice that the memory is at almost full usage. Moreover, the SSD is no where close to fast as my other laptop with an SSD in it for loading and installing programs. It is still plenty fast but just was noticeable when I made the immediate switch. The processor though is great when running apps and loading webpages. All loading and scrolling are perfectly smooth. The picture looks amazing. Overall, I am still very happy with the laptop so far. So thin and lightweight.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014