• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I was looking for a new bathroom scale that also measures body fat and saw the Ozeri Touch 440lb was highly rated around the web. Amazon had the lowest price @ $48, but when I went to add it to the cart I realized they have an additional 20% off right now bringing the final price to $39.

Link to scale @ Amazon

Glad to run into this- I hope this helps someone else as well.

Amazon
Get Up to 5.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Ozeri ZB13-W2 (8.33kB)
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Apologies- I had the list price $10 high. Have fixed.

I never thought I would see a bathroom scale that went up to 440 lbs.

I certainly would not pay extra for a scale that claims to measure BMI - since it's simply weight divided by height squared, and your height is not likely to change much, calculate it once and from then follow your weight. How hard is that?

Save $10 and look at THIS ONE for $29 which will go to 400 lbs! We've had it for 3 years and have yet to change the batteries (included) and everybody weighs each morning.

MrWizzard said:   

I certainly would not pay extra for a scale that claims to measure BMI - since it's simply weight divided by height, and your height is not likely to change much, calculate it once and from then follow your weight. How hard is that?

Although OP said BMI, I think he means body fat.

you are both correct. fixed.

MrWizzard said:   I never thought I would see a bathroom scale that went up to 440 lbs.

I certainly would not pay extra for a scale that claims to measure BMI - since it's simply weight divided by height, and your height is not likely to change much, calculate it once and from then follow your weight. How hard is that?

Save $10 and look at THIS ONE for $29 which will go to 400 lbs! We've had it for 3 years and have yet to change the batteries (included) and everybody weighs each morning.

Now that I have correctly changed from BMI to body fat, note that the one you are referencing is fine for the weight part, but does not do body fat so this is apples to oranges (or McIntosh apples to golden delicious apples at least)

MrWizzard said:   Save $10 and look at THIS ONE for $29 which will go to 400 lbs! We've had it for 3 years and have yet to change the batteries (included) and everybody weighs each morning.I would agree.

Save even more with patience:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-T...

Despite my reluctance to enter into quibbling, no scale measures body fat. Just weight. And BMI is a reference of proportional body fat so BMI and body fat are essentially the same thing. [Actually BMI is more nuanced than that but let it suffice for this discussion. Calipers are required to actually be more precise for any one individual's estimated body fat.]

The point I was trying to make originally was that spending more on a scale that claims to measure fat is unnecessary. But apples are delicious, any variety.

MrWizzard said:   Despite my reluctance to enter into quibbling, no scale measures body fat. Just weight. And BMI is a reference of proportional body fat so BMI and body fat are essentially the same thing. [Actually BMI is more nuanced than that but let it suffice for this discussion. Calipers are required to actually be more precise for any one individual's estimated body fat.]

The point I was trying to make originally was that spending more on a scale that claims to measure fat is unnecessary. But apples are delicious, any variety.

A fair and balanced reply. Ironically the apples are probably better for weight loss (instead of cookies) than watching any scale, body fat measuring or not. I do still think for someone looking for body fat measurement (however incorrect it may be), this is a good deal though. At least it was for me!

MrWizzard said:   Despite my reluctance to enter into quibbling, no scale measures body fat. Just weight. And BMI is a reference of proportional body fat so BMI and body fat are essentially the same thing. [Actually BMI is more nuanced than that but let it suffice for this discussion. Calipers are required to actually be more precise for any one individual's estimated body fat.]

BMI is nothing more than what it sounds like--a measure of body mass relative to height. It isn't more nuanced than you say; it's less. Someone with a crazy amount of muscle mass relative to his height could have a high BMI despite having very little body fat.

I have never put stock in these body fat scales as I understand them to have such a high margin of error as to be essentially meaningless. But they at least attempt to measure body composition, and there is a market for them.

I like Gala apples sliced, spread with peanut butter and dipped in granola.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014