• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hey guys- just found a link in my Facebook newsfeed and checked it out by talking to the friend that did it and reading all the reviews- looks legitimate. With Promo Code FIRSTPAIRFREE you get your first pair of ordered frames free- but you pay shipping. I paid $12 shipping on a $50 pair of frames. They had a lot to choose from (even for me- not a great face for glasses)! You DO NOT have to have Facebook for this promo-just your prescription (including your PD [PD is Pupillary Distance. Find out more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pupillary_distance ])and a way to pay for shipping! (PayPal, Card, etc.)

Here you go!:

http://www.coastal.com/firstpairfree

Hope you all enjoy!

Member Summary

Free Glasses-First Pair Only
Thanks sLinktastic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
They should as long as the frames are in "good" condition.  What they will do is take your frame and send it to their la... (more)

lambo881 (Jan. 19, 2014 @ 12:33p) |

I just had a forced upgrade of forty dollars, when I've had polycarbonates before and see just fine. I'm very disappoint... (more)

nicolerobinson (Jan. 25, 2014 @ 7:05p) |

How do I opt out of the Silver or Gold package for the lenses?

caprivi (Feb. 08, 2014 @ 3:23p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Please Fix title,

First Pair of Glasses $12 Shipped @ Coastal

Thank You

Butcherboy said:   Please Fix title,

First Pair of Glasses $12 Shipped @ Coastal

Thank You

Thank you for your help- I haven't posted very many OP's yet- and with this deal in particular I wasn't aware the shipping cost was fixed, so I was sure to include it in the Post. I appreciate your feedback!

Coastal now limits you to -3.75 for "free" glasses.

jbierling said:   Coastal now limits you to -3.75 for "free" glasses.

Yep. Now they are limiting you to the 'silver package' for $20.00 extra. Still seems a great deal.

harlock001 said:   jbierling said:   Coastal now limits you to -3.75 for "free" glasses.

Yep. Now they are limiting you to the 'silver package' for $20.00 extra. Still seems a great deal.

Which means if you really need glasses, this is nowhere near "free".

My last pair of glasses from Wal-Mart cost over $300. The glasses I got from Coastal.com cost less than $30 and I like them more. Not free, but at $270 less how could I complain?

harlock001 said:   My last pair of glasses from Wal-Mart cost over $300. The glasses I got from Coastal.com cost less than $30 and I like them more. Not free, but at $270 less how could I complain?

Yeah, I'll never buy glasses from a retail store again!

How long did it take you to receive your glasses after the order? Did you get special lens, coatings, or anything else that might have added to processing time?

Year + ago, you used to be able to find really nice frames from Coastal for their free pair offers (Ray Ban, Tommy Hillfiger,...) . Now it's very limited to the middle and lower-end frames only... mostly the faux designer brands (really just store brands) that are still free.
Still a decent deal, but not as good as it once was and only a little better than the ~$10 shipped glasses from Hong Kong, or where ever.

jbierling said:   Coastal now limits you to -3.75 for "free" glasses.

Hi Jbierling,
I am sorry for any confusion or frustration caused. The free promotion has always included a pair of coupon-applicable frames and the 1.50 standard index lens with any upgraded lenses, shipping and coatings at an additional cost.

Typically we recommend the 1.50 lens for anyone with a prescription between about -1.00 to +1.00, but did allow customers to select the 1.50 if their prescription was higher. Unfortunately, what we soon discovered was that people with prescriptions around and above -3.50 to +3.50 would find that their vision was distorted due to the thickness of the lens, so we have now put a measure in place where it is impossible to select a lens that would actively impair, rather than improve, your sight.

We don't mean for it to come off as an attempt to force our customers to spend more money, or to opt out of the free promotion -- it was merely a way to prevent the inconvenience on your side of having to return glasses with overly thick lenses that you were unable to use.

With that said, if you can get a better deal on your lenses locally, you're always able to buy the frames for free with us and then have the lenses filled elsewhere, however we are confident that the lens prices charged on our site are highly competitive compared to the traditional brick-and-mortar glasses stores.

Again, we're sorry for any inconvenience or frustration caused and hope that this message has helped to explain the change.

Best,

Coastal.com

Danzilla said:   Year + ago, you used to be able to find really nice frames from Coastal for their free pair offers (Ray Ban, Tommy Hillfiger,...) . Now it's very limited to the middle and lower-end frames only... mostly the faux designer brands (really just store brands) that are still free.
Still a decent deal, but not as good as it once was and only a little better than the ~$10 shipped glasses from Hong Kong, or where ever.

Hi Danzilla,

We're concerned to hear that you're not as happy with the selection on our site as you used to be.

Regarding the frames included in First Pair Free, we used to run the First Pair Free promotion sporadically, and would occasionally include higher-end designer frames as a special promotion. Recently we changed our policy so that First Pair Free would run on our site indefinitely, allowing brand-new customers to try out our frames and 1.50 index lenses so they could see the quality of our product first-hand at minimal risk to themselves. As a result, particular frames sell out very quickly, however we always aim to have a great and diverse selection on our site. We get new glasses in every single week, so if you don't see something that suits your taste now there may be something in a week or month's time that will suit better if you haven't made a glasses purchase with us yet.

I do hope that this has been helpful, but if you'd like more information on our products, promotions or procedures, please feel free to call our customer service line at 1-866-333-6888 and an agent will be happy to assist you.

Thanks,

Coastal.com

CoastalContacts said:   we have now put a measure in place where it is impossible to select a lens that would actively impair, rather than improve, your sight.

I have -7.0 eyes and I've never had a problem with the standard index lenses. I have both high and standard index and more often than not I grab the standard index pair. It just doesn't make much of a difference to me. There are also legitimate other advantages standard has over high.

Before your users had the choice. You could have added a warning. Now they no longer have the choice. If your intention is to truly provide a free pair of glasses, the choice would return.

jbierling said:   CoastalContacts said:   we have now put a measure in place where it is impossible to select a lens that would actively impair, rather than improve, your sight.

I have -7.0 eyes and I've never had a problem with the standard index lenses. I have both high and standard index and more often than not I grab the standard index pair. It just doesn't make much of a difference to me. There are also legitimate other advantages standard has over high.

Before your users had the choice. You could have added a warning. Now they no longer have the choice. If your intention is to truly provide a free pair of glasses, the choice would return.

If you can give me your order number, I'd be happy to look into your individual case further.

Is there an upper limit on price that the coupon does not work? My lenses are "standard" lenses. I tried to do this, selecting an $89 pair and when applying the coupon, it says "Rule has not been applied." Hoping to hear from the Coastal Contact rep on this forum. Thanks.

Dear sterlingjeanne,

If you're referring to the cost of the frames, we don't have a specific price limit we cut off at. Usually our team selects particular frames for the first pair free promotion, and others are excluded. If you can tell me which frame you were trying to order, I can take a look for you.

Best,

Coastal.com

$13 for shipping was the final price (frames were valued at $79, code brought them down to $0). Thanks OP!

I ordered my free pair on Jan 9th after reading this post. At the time of my order, the site recommended I get the 1.61 index lenses, my guess is due to the -3.00 of my left eye. I researched the hell out of that and couldn't find anywhere that could corroborate the 24% thickness decrease when going from a 1.59 to 1.61 refractive index lens.

Just for kicks I measured the existing thickness of the lenses in my Lens Crafters glasses and what I found was the same value the online thickness calculators said I would get, if they were polycarbonate. So, at this point I wondered why Lens Crafters did not recommend an upgrade but coastal did.

Since I knew my old glasses were 1.59 PC, I went ahead and ordered that and skipped the upgrade. They arrived on or before Jan 19th (didn't check my mail until that day), so they were definitely quick, considering I am in PA and they are in CA.

The glasses looked better in person than online, I am thrilled with the way they look. The weight is nearly identical to the Lens Crafters glasses. I have not checked the Coastal lens thickness for fear of scratching them. If I can find something that is protective with a uniform thickness (very doubtful I'll find anything) I may make the measurement.

I feel that the clarity of the coastal glasses is BETTER than then Lens Crafter's glasses. The prescription is nearly identical and if anything I feel that my vision is slightly better with these (same paper prescription used to purchase both).

All in all I am happy with the order, just a little disappointed that they wanted me to pay for the $20 upgrade when it clearly was not necessary.

These were purchased to be permanent backup glasses. I am using them for a few months on a trial basis to see how the coatings hold up. I bought a pair from GlobalEyeGlasses and the anti-scratch coating only lasted a month. I could not even use the glasses anymore after 3 months. If I get to the 3 month mark with no scratches I'll be ordering my permanent glasses from Coastal.

Dear kdn102,

We're thrilled to hear that you were pleased with the quality of your order.

Since this has been a recurring question/concern in this thread, I did want to take another moment to discuss the lens thickness/thinness issue and the index recommendations.

What we "recommend" is often the best-quality lens for your prescription. So someone with a very high prescription would be advised to choose the thinnest index, and someone with a very low prescription would be encouraged to choose the thickest index.

The main change that we've made is that if a lens is absolutely not recommended for your prescription, in that it may actually impair your vision to select it, we simply don't make it available. That means that every lens you see on the screen as a choice is a lens that will work for your prescription. The "recommended" lens is the best possible option, but not the option that you are forced to choose.

We are aware that this does mean some customers are not able to get their full pair of glasses for free. While a free frame offer is still a great deal, we do understand that someone with a high prescription who needs Progressives, for instance, may feel that they aren't getting as great a deal as someone who only needs light single vision lenses.

For that reason, we have begun offering more promotions that focus on reducing the cost of frames and lenses. Recently we had a 30% off both sale. This means that if your lenses were originally $199.00, and your frames $69.00, instead of just saving the $69.00 with a free frame promotion, you would instead save $80.40, and you could still use the free frame promotion for a spare pair of readers or distance glasses, so long as you hadn't participated in the offer previously.

I do hope that this has been helpful and informative, but please feel free to ask any other questions that you might have, and I will do my best to provide you with the most thorough answers that I can.

Best,

Coastal Contacts Social Media

Thanks OP. Just ordered my glasses. Came out to $14.14 with shipping, handling and insurance. I skipped the Silver upgrade because I've had lenses with an index as low as 1.57 (-2.50 OD and OS) and haven't had any issues with weight or anything. Their Bronze being 1.59 is definitely a great deal. I do have concerns because the two reviews for the frame I chose mentioned careless handling or quality control of the frame (Joseph Marc 4020), but I threw caution to the wind since it has wooden arms.

I also appreciate a rep is in the thread replying to customer concerns!

kdn102 said:   I ordered my free pair on Jan 9th after reading this post. At the time of my order, the site recommended I get the 1.61 index lenses, my guess is due to the -3.00 of my left eye. I researched the hell out of that and couldn't find anywhere that could corroborate the 24% thickness decrease when going from a 1.59 to 1.61 refractive index lens.

Just for kicks I measured the existing thickness of the lenses in my Lens Crafters glasses and what I found was the same value the online thickness calculators said I would get, if they were polycarbonate. So, at this point I wondered why Lens Crafters did not recommend an upgrade but coastal did.

Since I knew my old glasses were 1.59 PC, I went ahead and ordered that and skipped the upgrade. They arrived on or before Jan 19th (didn't check my mail until that day), so they were definitely quick, considering I am in PA and they are in CA.

The glasses looked better in person than online, I am thrilled with the way they look. The weight is nearly identical to the Lens Crafters glasses. I have not checked the Coastal lens thickness for fear of scratching them. If I can find something that is protective with a uniform thickness (very doubtful I'll find anything) I may make the measurement.

I feel that the clarity of the coastal glasses is BETTER than then Lens Crafter's glasses. The prescription is nearly identical and if anything I feel that my vision is slightly better with these (same paper prescription used to purchase both).

All in all I am happy with the order, just a little disappointed that they wanted me to pay for the $20 upgrade when it clearly was not necessary.

These were purchased to be permanent backup glasses. I am using them for a few months on a trial basis to see how the coatings hold up. I bought a pair from GlobalEyeGlasses and the anti-scratch coating only lasted a month. I could not even use the glasses anymore after 3 months. If I get to the 3 month mark with no scratches I'll be ordering my permanent glasses from Coastal.

Your vision should be better if you changed out of polycarbonate lenses

PC lenses have the lowest ABBÉ value, so they have the crappiest vision, but they are the most shatter resistant , fwiw

I am getting "Rule has not been applied." when applying coupon

srajkumar83 said:   I am getting "Rule has not been applied." when applying coupon

Hi,

Which frames are you trying to order?

srajkumar83 said:   I am getting "Rule has not been applied." when applying coupon

Not all frames are applicable. There should be a note on the frames' ad noting it. If you're still interested in those frames I know there's a free shipping coupon code floating around somewhere, I think there's a restriction on it though; ie only applicable w/frames a certain price or above. But in general there's a good list applicable to the FIRSTPAIRFREE promo code, maybe a different pair of frames could work? Your choice, of course! Hope it works out for you- I'm glad a Coastal Rep is on here- hope they can help

just a question... how you guys ordering a frame (without trying it), when you don't know whether it will fit in or not..

Coastal needs to disclose this forced upgrade in their terms and conditions. There's no indication of this until most of the way through the order. My optometrist told me I didn't need the thinner lens at my prescription (-2.75/-3.25 w astigmatism) so I don't see why coastal would force me to upgrade for $30.

My sons finace and he just ordered online. How long do the glasses take to come? Hers are coming to Canjohaire NY and his to West Winfield, NY. Hoping they come soon. Thanks much.

Dumb question - I ordered from Coastal using the 2 for 95 deal... can I still use the first pair free deal since I have never used it? I realize I may be pushing it here, but I just thought I would ask.

the first pair free promo does not work when i try to purchase glasses... http://www.coastal.com/frames/derek-cardigan-7010-blackout/prod27035.html?rsView=1&ga=F|M|K
theres no indication that the glasses are excluded for the promotion so i was wondering why it wasnt working? my prescription is -4 and -4.25, would that be why it wont work??
id really love to purchase these with the promo, if anyone can help that would be great. please!
thank you.

ive tried everything, i changed my prescription to 0, i signed in, i tried other glasses. its not working for me. why is it so difficult to just get these glasses?? please help..!

Thank you

I ordered a pair from these guys a few months ago. The glasses don't look any different than the ones I paid $100+ for.
No issues with them.

Thanks OP and those that helped! I ordered a pair tonight, I tried a number of options to get the price under $20, hope it works out. If not, no big dollars lost really!

How come it says the FIRSTPAIRFREE coupon cant be applied? i my sphere is -0.25 on both sides, cylinder is -0.25 on the right and -0.50 on the left. and the axis is 145 on the right and 10 on the left.I want to order the Kam Dhillon 3017 Black Pearl frames.

I have a -6 prescription and ordered 4 pairs of glasses from Coastal in the past year with no additional charge and no impaired vision with the glasses -- lenses were fine the way they were and it was a great value, and that's why I *was* a repeat customer. I emailed Coastal support and was not given a very good explanation. I don't understand why this has changed. I'll most likely look somewhere else to place future orders -- but I'm a little disappointed that the glasses I want are Derek Cardigans specific to Coastal.
Also, I referred friends with similar eyesight to the "First Pair Free" special based on my recent past experience and was somewhat embarrassed when they told me they weren't able to get glasses for solely the shipping cost, and they thought I had no idea what I was talking about.

CoastalContacts said:   
 The free promotion has always included a pair of coupon-applicable frames and the 1.50 standard index lens with any upgraded lenses, shipping and coatings at an additional cost.

Coastal.com
I was checking out and i noticed there's not a 1.50 option. Just the 1.59.  Are first pair free glasses made at 1.50 even though it doesn't show in the checkout? It will make a difference which frames I get.

So I'm trying (without a prescription YET) to get an idea of the cost to me of first time frames and progressive lenses. I have a slight astigmatism, if that matters. I saw your $199 example above....bleh. I know at a boutique they are $400 with insurance and $600 without, so $199 should seem great, I guess. Do progressives fall in the $199 range?

Ashley

Will all  B&M retail eyeglass places make a pair of glasses using frames bought elsewhere?

iowahawkeye said:   Will all  B&M retail eyeglass places make a pair of glasses using frames bought elsewhere?
They should as long as the frames are in "good" condition.  What they will do is take your frame and send it to their lab to size and create the lenses.  I've done this at Costco, but with older frames that I bought there before, not sure if they take frames bought from somewhere else.  Some chains may not want to deal with the hassle.  Sears does it, but their lens only prices aren't that great.

Skipping 2 Messages...
How do I opt out of the Silver or Gold package for the lenses?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.