• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Good deal if you are okay with a 2.0 usb speed.

Link

Rebate Here

Rakuten.com Shopping
See Rakuten.com Shopping discounts that earn Up to 7.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Fantom GreenDrive 2TB
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

what's inside is what matters. Any idea?

Hot if you need eSATA.
Got one for Directv.

Works like a charm for DirecTv HR22-100 DVR 12/6/2010
I bought this 2TB Fantom in an effort to increase the recording capacity of my DirecTv HD-DVR model HR22-100 - (I had to buy the eSATA cable separately from BB). My first try to connect the drive to DirecTv didn't work because I was impatient! If anybody is trying to expand their HD DVR storage capacity specifically for HR22-100 model (which by default comes with a 500GB internal HD so I went from 500GB to 2TB for $85) then here are the steps to follow: 1. Unplug HR22-100 from wall outlet. 2. Connect the drive using an eSATA cable (usb is slower compared to eSATA) to the DirecTV DVR. 3. Switch on the Fantom drive and then sit back and relax. Make sure your TV is on and you are on your regular directv AUX output. 4. After about 5 minutes (could be earlier) you will see DirecTV turning on as if it is the first time - going through the downloading stuff.. and then you should be on. 5. To check whether your new HD is hooked up and recognized by the receiver, go to LIST and it should show 100% free if your new drive is recognized. Overall, I am very satisfied with the drive. Only drawback I see (not an issue with Fantom drive but with DirecTv) you cannot switch off the HD because if you do, you will have to go through all the setups with directv again.
Nevil P from Denver, CO
2 Helpful | 0 Not Helpful

Logan71 said:   what's inside is what matters. Any idea?

I bought the 1TB version a little over 2 years ago. It was a Hitachi drive and failed right after the 2 year warranty.
I have read that a lot of them come with Western Digital drives so it is probably going to be one or the other.

I am probably going to try to take it apart and put a Western Digital drive in the enclosure. I am currently running Spinrite 6 on it to try to repair it but it is only getting done 1% per day, so it will take 100 days. When I ran spinrite against a 500GB internal Seagate drive it completed in less than 3 days.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014