• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
ugh....stupid chiclet keyboard

kills it

I want a Windows 7 laptop, so looks like this Dell offer is an answer to my prayer. Good to see they have new pc's popping up occasionally as that's what I prefer. Would y'all please help me with the following questions?

What is a chiclet keyboard?

Is the i3 2350 okay for general use and playing FB games?

How's the Dell wireless card vs others that show up (name escapes me)? Any known problems w/ the Dell card?

Is Intel i3 better than AMD processor? How about Intel 3000 video vs the AMD video?

Not too tech savvy (guess you can tell). Appreciate the help! Thanks!!

hereford said:   I want a Windows 7 laptop, so looks like this Dell offer is an answer to my prayer. Good to see they have new pc's popping up occasionally as that's what I prefer. Would y'all please help me with the following questions?

How's the Dell wireless card vs others that show up (name escapes me)? Any known problems w/ the Dell card?

Is Intel i3 better than AMD processor? How about Intel 3000 video vs the AMD video?

I was ready to buy one until I saw the keyboard....(the 15R really stinks)

They're not as good as traditional keyboards.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/05/20110522-2...

Shouldn't be any difference with wireless; your connection speed is what matters.

An i3 is more than sufficient. You could use a core duo and still be fine.

Yes, the i3 is better. Graphics shouldn't be a big decider, believe they're both integrated.

lordoffire said:   hereford said:   I want a Windows 7 laptop, so looks like this Dell offer is an answer to my prayer. Good to see they have new pc's popping up occasionally as that's what I prefer. Would y'all please help me with the following questions?

I was ready to buy one until I saw the keyboard....(the 15R really stinks)

They're not as good as traditional keyboards.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/05/20110522-2...

Shouldn't be any difference with wireless; your connection speed is what matters.

An i3 is more than sufficient. You could use a core duo and still be fine.

Yes, the i3 is better. Graphics shouldn't be a big decider, believe they're both integrated.

Thanks for the pic and reply! So the chiclet keyboard has spaces b/w the keys whereas the traditional doesn't? Is it harder to type on (ie, less responsive leading to a harder tap)?

RE: The graphics on all the models on clearance appear to have integrated cards. Guess @ their pricepoint, that's to be expected, right?

I'm trying to decide on which of the clearance laptops would be the most reliable. Not too worried about screen size as I will not be transporting it too often (mainly desk to couch while watching TV) It appears all 6 models have mediocre ratings with some trending worse than others. The N411z is appealing b/c of weight, however, my rudimentary research shows repeated problems from many reviewers. Please post if you're familiar w/ models N4010, N411z, N5040, M/N5110 and the 17",N7110.

Appreciate insight from all!

hereford said:   Thanks for the pic and reply! So the chiclet keyboard has spaces b/w the keys whereas the traditional doesn't? Is it harder to type on (ie, less responsive leading to a harder tap)?

RE: The graphics on all the models on clearance appear to have integrated cards. Guess @ their pricepoint, that's to be expected, right?

I'm trying to decide on which of the clearance laptops would be the most reliable. Not too worried about screen size as I will not be transporting it too often (mainly desk to couch while watching TV) It appears all 6 models have mediocre ratings with some trending worse than others. The N411z is appealing b/c of weight, however, my rudimentary research shows repeated problems from many reviewers. Please post if you're familiar w/ models N4010, N411z, N5040, M/N5110 and the 17",N7110.

The keys are different shapes, the amount and force of strength to push the keys is different, the spacing is different, and the way the operate is different. You can't "feel" the typing as you usually can.

Most people do not need discrete graphics.

Note that models that the coupon works for.

LOF, I didnt even know the keyboards had their own name LOL.. I just called it my high tech term of 'flat keyboard' ..
I thought most laptops have that type now? I've gotten used to it on my old laptop without grief.
Anyway to each their own, keyboard or whatever it may be ..HAHA..because my 'almost dealbreaker ' is the resolution on the 17r. And I guess I will find out when it gets here

hereford said:   

I would suggest starting to narrow down what you want by screen size. Maybe go to Bestbuy or wherever and really check out what a 14" vs 17" would be like carrying around the house or having on your lap [and possibly a chiclet vs regular keyboard ]. Also, if a numeric keypad is important, those are only on the 15 and 17". Once you figure out what size to get, I go with the best processor that is within budget, because that is what will date it for the most part.

It is the end of d3ll's fiscal year this month so they will probably have some new/more outlet codes coming soon!

Just to give idea of outlet price/specs on the N411z, here are a few I saw (prices before coupon). 419 and 439

gizmo said:   hereford said:   

I would suggest starting to narrow down what you want by screen size. Maybe go to Bestbuy or wherever and really check out what a 14" vs 17" would be like carrying around the house or having on your lap [and possibly a chiclet vs regular keyboard ]. Also, if a numeric keypad is important, those are only on the 15 and 17". Once you figure out what size to get, I go with the best processor that is within budget, because that is what will date it for the most part.

It is the end of d3ll's fiscal year this month so they will probably have some new/more outlet codes coming soon!

Thanks! My most imperative needs are Windows 7 and new (extra AMEX warranty). I want to buy one before all the new W7's disappear. Keypad would be good, but really not necessary. Love the larger screens b/c the old eyes ain't what they used to be! However, the trade off in the extra heft from the bigger screen raises concern. I'd love something other than a black keyboard (extremely difficult to keep clean), but again, really not a necessity. Reliability is important, b/c I'll keep it until one of us dies!

Grateful for everyone's help!

Well, got mine today. Battery won't charge.(Common issue) Yay Dell !

same here I got it 2 days ago and battery needs to be replaced

Received my 17R N7110 a couple of days ago and the Battery seems to be charging fine.
Bluetooth seems flaky, might be plasma TV interference.

tomrule said:   same here I got it 2 days ago and battery needs to be replaced

Guess get what ya pay for.... waiting for tech to call to schedule appointment. Figured they would just send a new battery.. but guess it could be charging circuit on motherboard.

greg9x said:   Well, got mine today. Battery won't charge.(Common issue) Yay Dell !

Greg9x, is that battery problem common only on this model or (practically) all Dell laptops?

PLMK, thank you!

hereford said:   greg9x said:   Well, got mine today. Battery won't charge.(Common issue) Yay Dell !

Greg9x, is that battery problem common only on this model or (practically) all Dell laptops?

PLMK, thank you!

I was mainly researching this model/line but there were plenty of complaints about other ones.
Batteries are such a common component, they must have really cheaped out on them to have so many issues right out of the box.

Received mine yesterday. Battery won't charge. Spent 1.5 hrs on phone with tech support. They have to send out a technician who will bring new battery, new motherboard and new charger. I hope it's just the battery!

For anyone interested.... Tech came out and replaced motherboard, fixed battery charging issue but got new issues with powering on, not shutting down correctly etc. So sending off to depot now.

On mine, they ended up simply shipping a new battery. It appears to be working fine now.

greg9x said:   For anyone interested.... Tech came out and replaced motherboard, fixed battery charging issue but got new issues with powering on, not shutting down correctly etc. So sending off to depot now.

I would call them and complain..... you needed it when you ordered it, you had to spend all this time on phone and with tech and you should not have these issues right out of the box.. refurb or not, it all should have been tested, etc etc. Be stern and upset but be understanding with the rep that its not their fault. Another 15 minutes of drama (if you can stand it lol) might buy you a $50-100 concession. And really it is nothing but the truth.

On another note, mine arrived yesterday with everything okay so far. I would've liked something with higher res but the price was right

gizmo said:   greg9x said:   For anyone interested.... Tech came out and replaced motherboard, fixed battery charging issue but got new issues with powering on, not shutting down correctly etc. So sending off to depot now.

I would call them and complain..... you needed it when you ordered it, you had to spend all this time on phone and with tech and you should not have these issues right out of the box.. refurb or not, it all should have been tested, etc etc. Be stern and upset but be understanding with the rep that its not their fault. Another 15 minutes of drama (if you can stand it lol) might buy you a $50-100 concession. And really it is nothing but the truth.

On another note, mine arrived yesterday with everything okay so far. I would've liked something with higher res but the price was right

Eh, not my style... so far they are making a decent effort to correct the issue so I will wait to see what the end result is. Now,if had to do over again, probably wouldn't have jumped on this deal, but since I did will play the game.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014