• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Toshiba - Canvio 3TB
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Available for the same price at Frys and Amazon.com (which may also mean Target as well with price matching)

mediaslave said:   Available for the same price at Frys and Amazon.com (which may also mean Target as well with price matching)

$137 at Amazon.

5700rpm drives. Wonder how well these Toshiba drives do - wonder if they'll work in RAID and play nice (unlike WD green).

Is the warranty voided when pulled from the enclosure?

Wow......hard drives keep getting cheaper and cheaper......but has the quality too?

Of course. Quality has went down with price, look how short the warranty periods are now. 1 year is common on many drives, especially external units.

EDIT: To be clear, this particular unit has a THREE (3) year warranty. Just speaking in general.

UAIron said:   5700rpm drives. Wonder how well these Toshiba drives do - wonder if they'll work in RAID and play nice (unlike WD green).

Is the warranty voided when pulled from the enclosure?

I'd bet there is a warranty sticker on the case that you'd need to break in order to open the case.

Another question is whether the unit has a SATA drive plus USB interface, or whether the drive uses USB directly.

JesseKnows said:   
Another question is whether the unit has a SATA drive plus USB interface, or whether the drive uses USB directly.

I'm not aware of any drive that uses USB directly. And id be willing to bet that this one certainly does not have a direct USB interface.

They all use a SATA-USB bridge for communication. There is no "Direct" USB connection.

UAIron said:   JesseKnows said:   

I'm not aware of any drive that uses USB directly. And id be willing to bet that this one certainly does not have a direct USB interface.

WD makes drives that only have a USB interface. Google "wd10tmvv" as one example. I haven't heard of Toshiba making any of these. So it is safe to assume this comes with SATA.

Just cracked the case on mine. Toshiba P/N:9F14318

opps

cgrieger said:   Just cracked the case on mine. Toshiba P/N:9F14318sorry meant to quote you about how to crack the case.

Toshiba Canvio 3TB BestBuy
Disclaimer
Bump this! This drive works with that $50 off Mastercard coupon today. Got one for ~$75 including tax. Great deal!

P/N 9F14318 reported by cgrieger seems to be a DT01ABA300, which is a 5700 RPM drive. Perfect for me. I hate on 7200 rpm drives, as I use only for storage.

Toshiba DT01ABAxxx Series

Also noticed these have 3 years limited warranty versus the 1/2 years offered by Seagate/WD.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014