• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This deal gets posted every year. I realize some people don't like it, but others do so I'm posting it again this year. AMC Theaters is once again doing their Best Picture Showcase. For those unfamiliar with the program, here's how it works. They show all nine Academy Award Best Picture nominees back-to-back on two consecutive Saturdays, four on one day and five on the other. It's $30 for the shorter day and $40 for the longer day, or you can do both days for $60. If you're a member of their Stubs program, you also get $5 credit each day to use for concessions.

Full Information Here

Participating Theaters

Saturday, February 16th:
Amour
Les Miserables
Argo
Django Unchained

Saturday, February 23rd:
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

This will be my seventh year going to this event and it's always a great time!

Member Summary

Logo
Thanks SecondGunman
Disclaimer

popcorn!
Thanks Llilith
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

10+ hours each day, vegging, eating buttery popcorn and diet coke?
Heart attack waiting to happen.

(I have them all "SAVED" in my Netflix Que though)

Do a lot of folks attend this? I'm not keen to do it simply because my amc theatre has seats that don't rock so it becomes a chore on your neck like the lotr marathon I did last year.

Ah. They are doing marathons of all the films at certain places. That'd be interesting. Alas it's not in Oklahoma. How is the north park 15 in Dallas? Anyone?

amexblue said:   Do a lot of folks attend this? I'm not keen to do it simply because my amc theatre has seats that don't rock so it becomes a chore on your neck like the lotr marathon I did last year.

Attendance varies by theater. I've been in San Jose where the place was nearly sold out. The closest theater to me now usually has 30-40 people. It's in one theater, so you get your seat in the morning and that's your seat the rest of the day. You don't have to go between theaters, which is nice.

You might catch flu. A theater is a likely place to catch it. It's a bad flu season.

I went to see 3 movies in one day once and felt like Gollum walking out of the theater. Glad this isn't in my market.

While its a good deal, and I did this I think three years ago (it was cheaper for less movies). I gave up after three movies. These Oscar movies are heavy, need time to let them sink in. I rather prefer the $5 Tuesdays most theaters have around here in NorCal.
Thanks for the post OP.

The most I have done is 6-movie marathon in a theater as a teen. Now, one movie is enough. As antifozy said, for many of those movies, you got to let them sink in.

Doit2it said:   I went to see 3 movies in one day once and felt like Gollum walking out of the theater. Glad this isn't in my market.It is better to feel like Gollum, than to look like Gollum.

9000 said:   You might catch flu. A theater is a likely place to catch it. It's a bad flu season.

Dude, you might catch the flu if you leave the house. Better just stay at home.

Darn, this would be tempting if I didn't have zero interest in seeing Les Miserables and Zero Dark Thirty, but I'm sure this will be fun for quite a few people. Green for OP

I already saw them at my $2.00 theater...$18.00 for all 9 movies.

wino4ever said:   I already saw them at my $2.00 theater...$18.00 for all 9 movies.

Oh; you did not...lol

I do think it would be fun to do this (I've considered it in the past, too), but I've already seen some of them, which makes it less of a deal. Maybe I'll do a couple of mini-marathons of the ones I haven't seen yet instead over the next month.

This could be a great deal if they played them in the dine-in theaters. Big, comfy leather seats, halfway decent food. You could invite like 10 friends and fill a section and sit comfortably for the whole time.

http://dinein.amctheatres.com/locations#

At least 4 of those movies are nearly 3 hours long and amc stubs sucks now. All you can use the stubs bucks for is food(I used to buy gift cards, but the changed the T and C). While it's a decent price, no way i could spend a whole weekend at a theater.

9000 said:   You might catch flu. A theater is a likely place to catch it. It's a bad flu season.

You might meet people and possibly make friends.

For those with lots of fortitude, AMC also lets you see all 9 nominees in one day.
Good luck.
One Day Marathon Event
Saturday, February 23. All nine films in one day for just $60.
Were putting on a special marathon event in select markets! If you think youre up to the challenge, find out if its coming to a theatre near you. AMC Stubs members will get $10 AMC Stubs Bonus Bucks for event day when tickets are purchased in advance. View participating theatres.

FatWalletLurker said:   This could be a great deal if they played them in the dine-in theaters. Big, comfy leather seats, halfway decent food. You could invite like 10 friends and fill a section and sit comfortably for the whole time.

http://dinein.amctheatres.com/locations#


http://dinein.amctheatres.com/how-it-works/cinema-suites

Sorry, but that is the grossest most overpriced fare I've ever seen! Bleah! Frozen food from Sysco, fried or nuked and brought to your lap table in a dark theater. Ick.

MGR said:   For those with lots of fortitude, AMC also lets you see all 9 nominees in one day.
Good luck.
One Day Marathon Event
Saturday, February 23. All nine films in one day for just $60.
Were putting on a special marathon event in select markets! If you think youre up to the challenge, find out if its coming to a theatre near you. AMC Stubs members will get $10 AMC Stubs Bonus Bucks for event day when tickets are purchased in advance. View participating theatres.


I keep saying that I'm gonna do this the next year, and every year they seem to offer it in fewer and fewer theaters. The closest theater this year is a five hour drive away, and that's on top of the 24-ish hours you're in the theater. If I could swing some time off work Friday or Monday, then maybe.......otherwise I just can't swing it this year. It does sound like a lot of fun though!

Milko said:   ...Now, one movie is enough. As antifozy said, for many of those movies, you got to let them sink in.

Totally agree. Saw Django Unchained tonight and lots to talk/think about. By the way, the "D" is silent.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014