QUICK LINKS
MY ACCOUNT
Cash Pending:
Cash Available:
Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

USPS: Prepaid Forever Priority Mail Flat Rate. Save before prices go up from 01/27

First page
1 of 10
desidealmaster
1/11/13 6:50 PM
If you are a seller and use the USPS Priority mail a lot for shipping, this may be useful to you.

Prepaid Forever Priority Mail Flat Rate

Here is the items you can buy

New prices effective 01/27. Everything is going up
https://www.usps.com/new-prices.htm

No need to bash.. If you're not a shipper.. pls move on. I am just trying to be useful to someone like me here who ships a lot using USPS.
WikiPost
1/11/13 6:51 PM
NOTE: All address labels will contain the customer's return address in the upper left corner of the label...
FrugalFreaky
1/11/13 6:59 PM
How will new rates compare to FedEx or UPS for same size?
crhptic
1/11/13 7:09 PM
FrugalFreak said:   

How will new rates compare to FedEx or UPS for same size?



FedEx and UPS rates are based on weight and distance traveled and have numerous add-ons (for residential address, rural areas, fuel surcharge, etc.)

Priority Mail Flat Rate is not based on weight and is the same price to every address served by USPS

Ergo, there is no way to directly compare the two.

I have found the USPS regional rate boxes and non-flat rate service are often a better deal than the flat rate packaging. The main advantage of the flat rate packaging is the simplicity of not having to figure out rates. Having said that, if you are shipping a lot of small size, but dense/weighty items that fit in the flat rate boxes, and especially if you are shipping cross country or to Hawaii/Alaska, the flat rate boxes may indeed be the best option.
desidealmaster
1/11/13 7:21 PM
crhptic said:   

FrugalFreak said:   

How will new rates compare to FedEx or UPS for same size?



FedEx and UPS rates are based on weight and distance traveled and have numerous add-ons (for residential address, rural areas, fuel surcharge, etc.)

Priority Mail Flat Rate is not based on weight and is the same price to every address served by USPS

Ergo, there is no way to directly compare the two.

I have found the USPS regional rate boxes and non-flat rate service are often a better deal than the flat rate packaging. The main advantage of the flat rate packaging is the simplicity of not having to figure out rates. Having said that, if you are shipping a lot of small size, but dense/weighty items that fit in the flat rate boxes, and especially if you are shipping cross country or to Hawaii/Alaska, the flat rate boxes may indeed be the best option.



Yup, I agree, this comparison is never easy. I agree with all of the above and here is more:

I have been shipping for years and seen many rate changes and now I have a good hang of which service to use.

I never use UPS because its almost always more expensive than FedEx for same service. So, to compare FedEx with USPS:

- FedEx automatically gives $100 insurance with shipping packages. You have to buy that with USPS.
- FedEx also gives tracking # automatically but with USPS you've to buy that (delivery confirmation) unless you're using USPS.com to create your shipping label online. Or you use the prepaid forever shipping supplies
- USPS priority mail boxes have weird dimensions so sometimes FedEx ground comes out cheaper (with $100 insurance) but it gets there much slower.
- If you can fit your item in USPS padded envelope or small/medium boxes then its generally good deal with similar services at FedEx (2-3 day Express)

There are many more factors to consider, but it comes with experience I guess
atikovi
1/11/13 7:24 PM
Anyone run the numbers as to it's investment potential? Assuming the postal service will still be in business in 5, 10 or 30 years? Thinking about the small flat rate box for example at $5.35. Say you buy 10,000 of them for $53,500 and in 10 years they will cost $15.35 at the P.O. You would make a $100,000 profit, or more likely $80,000 since you couldn't ask the same price as at the P.O. Would that by a wise investment?
partybag
1/11/13 7:35 PM
first class letter increased 1 cent. Stock up on those forever stamps!
freakinout
1/11/13 7:56 PM
desidealmaster said:   



I have been shipping for years and seen many rate changes and now I have a good hang of which service to use.

I never use UPS because its almost always more expensive than FedEx for same service. So, to compare FedEx with USPS:



I don't use FedEx at all, so I can't really comment on that part, but I will say that UPS is sometimes much cheaper than USPS, especially when packages are heavy and/or too big for flat rate boxes. UPS rates also include $100 worth of insurance. finally UPS to business address is often equal to or less than USPS, even without factoring in insurance difference

I agree it can be very confusing....
freakinout
1/11/13 8:00 PM
atikovi said:   

Anyone run the numbers as to it's investment potential?




Stephen Colbert did on his show the other night
maxxodds
1/11/13 8:26 PM
i like to keep a few on hand thanks
First page
1 of 10
Please select a reason for your RED vote:








You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.
Loading...