• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
If you are a seller and use the USPS Priority mail a lot for shipping, this may be useful to you.

Prepaid Forever Priority Mail Flat Rate

Here is the items you can buy

New prices effective 01/27. Everything is going up
https://www.usps.com/new-prices.htm

No need to bash.. If you're not a shipper.. pls move on. I am just trying to be useful to someone like me here who ships a lot using USPS.

Member Summary

USPS: Prepaid Forever Priority Mail Flat Rate
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Apparently parcel post is gone, at least for a month or so do to some screw up. On some items, this has tripled my ship... (more)

dcg9381 (Feb. 17, 2013 @ 6:54p) |

It's not gone, just a new name (Parcel Select I believe). You can still get it at the PO, or online at some postage site... (more)

rhino850 (Feb. 17, 2013 @ 7:04p) |

It's also not just a rename. Some parameters changed slightly (I'm still trying to figure out specific differences, but... (more)

labboypro (Feb. 17, 2013 @ 7:07p) |

NOTE: All address labels will contain the customer's return address in the upper left corner of the label...
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

How will new rates compare to FedEx or UPS for same size?

FrugalFreak said:   How will new rates compare to FedEx or UPS for same size?

FedEx and UPS rates are based on weight and distance traveled and have numerous add-ons (for residential address, rural areas, fuel surcharge, etc.)

Priority Mail Flat Rate is not based on weight and is the same price to every address served by USPS

Ergo, there is no way to directly compare the two.

I have found the USPS regional rate boxes and non-flat rate service are often a better deal than the flat rate packaging. The main advantage of the flat rate packaging is the simplicity of not having to figure out rates. Having said that, if you are shipping a lot of small size, but dense/weighty items that fit in the flat rate boxes, and especially if you are shipping cross country or to Hawaii/Alaska, the flat rate boxes may indeed be the best option.

crhptic said:   FrugalFreak said:   How will new rates compare to FedEx or UPS for same size?

FedEx and UPS rates are based on weight and distance traveled and have numerous add-ons (for residential address, rural areas, fuel surcharge, etc.)

Priority Mail Flat Rate is not based on weight and is the same price to every address served by USPS

Ergo, there is no way to directly compare the two.

I have found the USPS regional rate boxes and non-flat rate service are often a better deal than the flat rate packaging. The main advantage of the flat rate packaging is the simplicity of not having to figure out rates. Having said that, if you are shipping a lot of small size, but dense/weighty items that fit in the flat rate boxes, and especially if you are shipping cross country or to Hawaii/Alaska, the flat rate boxes may indeed be the best option.

Yup, I agree, this comparison is never easy. I agree with all of the above and here is more:

I have been shipping for years and seen many rate changes and now I have a good hang of which service to use.

I never use UPS because its almost always more expensive than FedEx for same service. So, to compare FedEx with USPS:

- FedEx automatically gives $100 insurance with shipping packages. You have to buy that with USPS.
- FedEx also gives tracking # automatically but with USPS you've to buy that (delivery confirmation) unless you're using USPS.com to create your shipping label online. Or you use the prepaid forever shipping supplies
- USPS priority mail boxes have weird dimensions so sometimes FedEx ground comes out cheaper (with $100 insurance) but it gets there much slower.
- If you can fit your item in USPS padded envelope or small/medium boxes then its generally good deal with similar services at FedEx (2-3 day Express)

There are many more factors to consider, but it comes with experience I guess

Anyone run the numbers as to it's investment potential? Assuming the postal service will still be in business in 5, 10 or 30 years? Thinking about the small flat rate box for example at $5.35. Say you buy 10,000 of them for $53,500 and in 10 years they will cost $15.35 at the P.O. You would make a $100,000 profit, or more likely $80,000 since you couldn't ask the same price as at the P.O. Would that by a wise investment?

first class letter increased 1 cent. Stock up on those forever stamps!

desidealmaster said:   

I have been shipping for years and seen many rate changes and now I have a good hang of which service to use.

I never use UPS because its almost always more expensive than FedEx for same service. So, to compare FedEx with USPS:

I don't use FedEx at all, so I can't really comment on that part, but I will say that UPS is sometimes much cheaper than USPS, especially when packages are heavy and/or too big for flat rate boxes. UPS rates also include $100 worth of insurance. finally UPS to business address is often equal to or less than USPS, even without factoring in insurance difference

I agree it can be very confusing....

atikovi said:   Anyone run the numbers as to it's investment potential?

Stephen Colbert did on his show the other night

i like to keep a few on hand thanks

atikovi said:   Anyone run the numbers as to it's investment potential? Assuming the postal service will still be in business in 5, 10 or 30 years? Thinking about the small flat rate box for example at $5.35. Say you buy 10,000 of them for $53,500 and in 10 years they will cost $15.35 at the P.O. You would make a $100,000 profit, or more likely $80,000 since you couldn't ask the same price as at the P.O. Would that by a wise investment?

Sounds like the scheme used by Charles Ponzi. You could sell shares in your investment. 😄

I use Shipgooder to compare rates. I've found that if it's over 2 pounds, FedEx Ground is cheaper. YMMV.

atikovi said:   Anyone run the numbers as to it's investment potential? Assuming the postal service will still be in business in 5, 10 or 30 years? Thinking about the small flat rate box for example at $5.35. Say you buy 10,000 of them for $53,500 and in 10 years they will cost $15.35 at the P.O. You would make a $100,000 profit, or more likely $80,000 since you couldn't ask the same price as at the P.O. Would that by a wise investment?

Where are you going to store the 10,000 boxes ?
What if they encounter water-damage, fire, bugs ?

What if the post office goes bankrupt.

I don't think it's a good investment for re-sell but I think buying a stash for yourself if you are in the shipping business would make a lot of sense.

how much're the flat rate priority mail envelopes going up??

But when you ship/pay online, the prices are lower than the current prepaid rates (and still will be cheaper than the new full rate).

So these locked in prices will only be a saving after the next probable price increase.

robotprom said:   I use Shipgooder to compare rates. I've found that if it's over 2 pounds, FedEx Ground is cheaper. YMMV.

That's handy, although it's missing some details like the surcharges for residential deliveries, etc. I made an Excel spreadsheet which I use to do the comparison myself.

atikovi said:   Anyone run the numbers as to it's investment potential?

I will be using money made from my recent bottle deposit scheme.

desidealmaster said:   
I never use UPS because its almost always more expensive than FedEx for same service.

With an account, FedEx Ground and UPS Ground base rates are more are less identical. The only difference is what % of discount each is willing to offer you based on shipping volume.

these are great for Hawaii --- but I don't ship a lot so don't know if I will bother

vickh said:   how much're the flat rate priority mail envelopes going up??

would be nice in the summary or OP --- I couldn't get a split second answer from the links

I find shopping package from FedExOffice is a much better experience than most post offices!

germanpope said:   vickh said:   how much're the flat rate priority mail envelopes going up??

would be nice in the summary or OP --- I couldn't get a split second answer from the links

New domestic retail pricing for Priority Mail Flat Rate products include:

Small box $5.80
Medium box $12.35
Large box $16.85
Large APO/FPO box $14.85
Regular envelope $5.60
Legal envelope $5.75
Padded envelope $5.95

2cheap2eat said:   I find shopping package from FedExOffice is a much better experience than most post offices!
Agreed. My local PO troll loves to try and find something wrong with my packages (like, amazingly, the "ship from" zip code). FedEx is always much more pleasant.

Plus, FedEx tracking is so much better.

The buying power of that $80K in 10 years will be diminished. Better to invest the $53K now and grow based on cost of living. Send it to me, and I'll send you $80K in 9 years. That's a 10% better deal... I promise I will... really...

robotprom said:   I use Shipgooder to compare rates. I've found that if it's over 2 pounds, FedEx Ground is cheaper. YMMV.

I agree, I have compared many times and found the same and used FedEx ground shipping as a rule of thumb when I don't have time to compare each time.

Canucklehead said:   atikovi said:   Anyone run the numbers as to it's investment potential? Assuming the postal service will still be in business in 5, 10 or 30 years? Thinking about the small flat rate box for example at $5.35. Say you buy 10,000 of them for $53,500 and in 10 years they will cost $15.35 at the P.O. You would make a $100,000 profit, or more likely $80,000 since you couldn't ask the same price as at the P.O. Would that by a wise investment?

The buying power of that $80K in 10 years will be diminished. Better to invest the $53K now and grow based on cost of living. Send it to me, and I'll send you $80K in 9 years. That's a 10% better deal... I promise I will... really...

better to enjoy the money now --- you can't buy back the years

Over the years, I've used mostly FedEx and the value and sometimes even price is better than USPS.

The only time I use USPS is if I qualify or media mail or first class. For most packages I've shipped, FedEx has been pretty competitive with USPS. Plus, there's a links near me that's open 24 hrs so I can drop my packages anytime.

Recently I used USPS and was not by a printer, so had to go inside and use the APC. Except that, the drop box wasn't available to use, so I had to wait 15 minutes in line to drop off the paid package. And the teller wasn't even nice. Sheesh.

FrugalFreak said:   How will new rates compare to FedEx or UPS for same size?

My wife mails a ridiculous amount of stuff for her business. Tips:

* USPS is always cheaper
* FedEx ground is always cheaper than UPS ground
* UPS is mainly for overseas

Use regional rate boxes instead of normal flat rate boxes for better rates.
Flat Rate beats FedEx ground.
Use FedEx Ground when it doesn't fit into a flat rate box or you need good tracking.
UPS is for international shipments.

That seems to be her shipping rules of thumb.

If I did the math correctly, that's approx a 10% annual rate of return. That of course assumes that the price will triple in 10 years. If I recall, the price of priority mail from 2003 it hasn't even doubled in the last 10 years much less tripled. Then of course there is the storage costs and risks. I think the Dow has returned an average of over 7% for the last 10 years so why would you invest in a storage locker full of boxes?

Ah, the good old days of 2 pounds, 2 days, $2.99.

cpabster said:   Ah, the good old days of 2 pounds, 2 days, $2.99.most people who dont ship still thinks its $3

cpabster said:   Ah, the good old days of 2 pounds, 2 days, $2.99.

Priority service was introduced as 2 pounds, 2 days, $2.35. Gas was also once $0.05/gallon.

Good deal. Too bad I don't ship priority mail much.

I used to buy a lot of flat rate envelopes and boxes to ship care packages to troops overseas, but the greatly increased costs over the last several years have made it prohibitive to ship much these days (even with the price "break" to APO/FPO addresses). When I first started using them, flat rate boxes were @$8 for pretty roomy boxes, so the price has pretty much doubled since then. It's gotten more difficult, too, to pack in enough weight to make the flat rate boxes worthwhile. (Although, a careful packer can still fit an awful lot into one of those flat rate envelopes!)

Thanks for the alert, OP. I may go ahead and pick up a few...

As others have mentioned, REGIONAL FLAT RATE BOXES are MUCH CHEAPER...

jaimelobo said:   But when you ship/pay online, the prices are lower than the current prepaid rates (and still will be cheaper than the new full rate).

So these locked in prices will only be a saving after the next probably price increase.

You are absolutely right.

Does anyone know if the Regional Rate box prices will go up? I use a TON of those every day for my non profit so now I'm a little worried

chrisledoux said:   Does anyone know if the Regional Rate box prices will go up? I use a TON of those every day for my non profit so now I'm a little worried

I general their price increases effect EVERYTHING.

Wonder how this increase will affect commercial prices - labels generated from paypal.

labboypro said:   cpabster said:   Ah, the good old days of 2 pounds, 2 days, $2.99.

Priority service was introduced as 2 pounds, 2 days, $2.35. Gas was also once $0.05/gallon.

Yeah, but gas hasn't been $.05 in living memory (75+ years); $2.35 was the rate like 10-15 years ago... The cost for shipping via USPS Flat Rate has *far* outstripped inflation (not to mention median wages) and arguably is no longer the value proposition it once was (why buy used and sell/ship after use when you can let Amazon.com pick up the cost of shipping and throw stuff away?)...

Skipping 59 Messages...
rhino850 said:   dcg9381 said:   Apparently parcel post is gone, at least for a month or so do to some screw up. On some items, this has tripled my shipping costs...

It's not gone, just a new name (Parcel Select I believe). You can still get it at the PO, or online at some postage sites (usps shipping assistant) But it is NOT yet avaliable on eBay/Paypal - no clue why...

It's also not just a rename. Some parameters changed slightly (I'm still trying to figure out specific differences, but an auction item that ended BEFORE the change, but didn't get paid quickly by the buyer forced me into the new cost structure and the same item cost me DOUBLE-- to the tune of $34-- to ship. I had to eat it because I listed as "free shipping").

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.