Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Ooma telo
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Great deal!

This is the kind of product that I would have no issues getting as a refurb. Not really anything that goes wrong with them new or used.

Thanks, OP. In 4 1, but backordered for shipping. Same price for store pickup.

keaton85 said:   Great deal!

This is the kind of product that I would have no issues getting as a refurb. Not really anything that goes wrong with them new or used.

Um... something went wrong... that's why they are refurbs...

Canucklehead said:   keaton85 said:   Great deal!

Could just be open box return that a customer decides they do not want or do not have a good enough internet connection for (nothing defective about it) that could not be sold as new.

Canucklehead said:   keaton85 said:   Great deal!

I bought an earlier version from fry's 3.5 years ago. it was refurbished at the same price. The only problem is whenever there is an Internet outage it does not work. I dont even remember rebooting it once.

Geez people... lighten up. Just making a joke... This ain't my first rodeo...

remember my area ooma charges 3.6$ per month for taxes. Thats a decent amount, but still the cheapest alternative for me for a real phone like device.

Price at Fry's is now $159. You can get a new one for $139.99 with free shipping from Ooma.com with the coupon code DEJ4516. I have been using the core system for four plus years now as my landline replacement and I like it very much. It does some nice things for no extra cost like sending me an email or text when I have a voicemessage. The monthly taxes and fees in my area are just over $3. I really like that I don't have to have it plugged in to a computer. I have the Ooma box connected between my cable modem and wireless router, with a Panasonic DECT phone base plugged in to the Ooma box so I can use it from all over the house as a true landline replacement. The hardware is superior to magic jack, and from what I gather the service and voice quality is too. Over the four years it has gone offline a few times, more during the first year. I think my internet provider has become more reliable because it has not happended now for over a year. When this happens the Ooma system automatically restores its own connection as soon as the internet connection is available again, smart! Heavy internet usage like streaming movies does not seem to affect my ability to place calls. I am only paying for one of the bottom tier internet connection speeds, download of 3 mbs. With my over the air antenna for digital HDTV replacing my cable bill, media center computer replacing Tivo, I pay only $30 per month for my internet connection and get free calls from Ooma, free HDTV over the air, free HDTV streaming over the internet, and have a lot more cash in my wallet. I was using the 10 cents per minute T-Mobile prepaid for wireless, averaging $12 an month for my cell phone, and less than that for my wife's. She's moving to the T-Mobile $30 smartphone plan and I moved my mobile number to Google Voice and am just using my work phone. So we are at $60 per month between internet and her mobile phone. Not bad for all the media and connections we enjoy.

Okay, quick question... Why am I paying $13.72/month in AZ?
I've had my Ooma set up for just a couple months now, and with the first bill I though maybe it was just set-up fees or something, but just got this month's bill and it is the same. AZ is not known for exhorbitant taxes, and I'm not anywhere exhtic like Sedona, so I can't figure out why my bill is not $3-5. I won't complain too loudly if there's nothing to be done; it beats $29/mo for local phone service, but at $130 (plus ?? $50+/- for "premium" service), it will take me much longer to recoup my savings. Now that I think of it, maybe the "premium" deal is somehow added into the monthly bill... I can't remember if I paid for it up front or not.
Anyone...??

Thx
Pix

Hi Pix, AZ here as well. I only pay ~$3.60 a month. But something similar happened to me on the 4th month of my usage, it started charging 10 extra. Somehow I got signed up for the free trial of premier for 3 months but on the 4th month the fee kicked in. I called them to cancel this premier and they gave me back my money for a "one time courtesy" refund.

If you read the fine print, they automatically give everyone the premier service to start. It's free for 3 months, during which they obviously hope you'll get hooked on the added features and keep it for the extra $10/month. You are supposed to contact them before the 3 months is up to switch your service to regular if you don't want to pay the extra money.

PixieGal said:   Okay, quick question... Why am I paying $13.72/month in AZ?
I've had my Ooma set up for just a couple months now, and with the first bill I though maybe it was just set-up fees or something, but just got this month's bill and it is the same. AZ is not known for exhorbitant taxes, and I'm not anywhere exhtic like Sedona, so I can't figure out why my bill is not $3-5. I won't complain too loudly if there's nothing to be done; it beats $29/mo for local phone service, but at $130 (plus ?? $50+/- for "premium" service), it will take me much longer to recoup my savings. Now that I think of it, maybe the "premium" deal is somehow added into the monthly bill... I can't remember if I paid for it up front or not.
Anyone...??

Thx
Pix

Most likely you are signed up for the premium service which is $10/month plus local taxes which are normally $3-4

Thanks so much for the info!!

Pix

Just a quick question - why would you guys get this while google voice is free after buying an obihai for $45?

BE said:   Just a quick question - why would you guys get this while google voice is free after buying an obihai for $45? google voice is free for now.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014