• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have missed this last time when it went on sale for $199 in Bestbuy during NewYear sale. I have been checking it daily for this deal to reappear luckily it did today. Only in-store, on-line not available, strange thing is even on-line ordering for store pickup even is not working. So I called near by local store where it shows available and requested them a hold. But they said they can't guarantee the on-line price on a hold, instead they asked me to do the phone purchase which I did. $213 (incl taxes), I will be picking it up in an hour.

AVR1700

Best Buy
See Best Buy promo codes that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Harman/Kardon AVR 1700 500W Receiver
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Looks to be sold out online and unavailable at any of the Twin Cities locations

I got this open box for 168.+tax also bought a 4 yr warranty for 30. Anyway, it came without a power cable(traditional computer/monitor power) but i was tempted to return and buy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117410

With tax +50 this receiver is 7.1 but only 80w/ch but it is new and looks like a decent deal. Anyway just FYI!

Keep your current one. It's a good one especially you have 4 year warranty. I bought one to replace my burnt Yamaha 373. Harman Kardon handles overload much better than Yamaha. And believe me, you need the power even if you only use bookshelf speakers.

H/K has given in to deceptive power ratings with this lineup. This is really a roughly 50x5 AVR if you apply H/K's traditional (good, conservative) power rating scale. Having said that the Pioneer is not really 80x7. From a power perspective they are pretty similar, though the H/K will do better into a stereo load if you have big towers that dip into 2-4 ohms.

Overall AVR's are funny things, most of them do 90% of things well and screw up the other 10%. So if the 1700 you have is doing what you need it to do with no bugs like audio drop outs or HDMI switching issues, or missing any major features you need like enough inputs or sound-adjustment options, then I'd recommend you keep it and check off one less thing to waste time on. You certainly got a good deal on it, and though the reliability is very good a 4 year warranty is certainly nice to have. Sane people know the name of the game with AVR's is to leave it alone until it is no longer sufficient. Unnecessary upgrading can often come with new bugs.

I will say that the 4yr BB warranty may be of dubious value. BB open box has full manufacturer warranty, which in this case is 2 years. If this fails outside of 2 years they won't replace it with a new equivalent model ($400 MSRP), you'll get either get it fixed or get the original price back after some delay, and that is only after the manufacturer warranty term. At $30 it is still a good value, but you've got 2yrs already, possibly 3yr with the right CC. With 3 yrs the BB warranty is a bad gamble.

I see I probably will keep this one. Since it was open box, I didn't want to have warranty trouble with hk. Thanks all

ANN ARBOR MI
3100 LOHR RD, ANN ARBOR, MI 48108
Map & Directions
UNAVAILABLE

UNAVAILABLE
BRIGHTON MI
8487 W GRAND RIVER AVE, BRIGHTON, MI 48116
Map & Directions
UNAVAILABLE

UNAVAILABLE
WEST OAKS MALL
43525 W OAKS DR, NOVI, MI 48377
Map & Directions
UNAVAILABLE

UNAVAILABLE
NOVI MI
21051 HAGGERTY RD, NOVI, MI 48375
Map & Directions
UNAVAILABLE

UNAVAILABLE
WESTLAND SHOP CENTER
35000 WAREN RD, WESTLAND, MI 48185
Map & Directions
UNAVAILABLE

UNAVAILABLE
WESTLAND MI
35100 CENTRAL CITY PKWY, WESTLAND, MI 48185
Map & Directions
UNAVAILABLE

UNAVAILABLE
JACKSON MI
1014 JACKSON XING, JACKSON, MI 49202
Map & Directions
UNAVAILABLE

UNAVAILABLE
FARMINGTON HILLS MI
30830 ORCHARD LAKE RD, FARMINGTON HILLS, MI 48334
Map & Directions
UNAVAILABLE

UNAVAILABLE
SOUTHFIELD MI
28400 TELEGRAPH RD, SOUTHFIELD, MI 48034
Map & Directions
UNAVAILABLE

UNAVAILABLE
See more stores
Featuring Microsoft MapPoint Technology. Review Legal Notice and Privacy Policy.

Several stores in the Houston area still showing available. Thanks for the post Boochi.

Got one! It ROCKS!!!

Heads up - sounds like this might be the last time it goes on sale. Best Buy rep I spoke to today said this is a product they aren't carrying anymore, so once they're gone, they're gone.

Thanks Op, just ordered one for in store pick up.
Great Deal! Now to order Energy Classic 5.1 speakers to match.

Unavailable in the Milwaukee metropolitan area.

I bought 2 - what kind of speakers do u recommend for 250 dollars

Got one here in Henderson LV for my buddy back in LA. Looks to be a smoking deal. They had 1 or 2 more new in the box from what the clerk told me yesterday.

Don't expect to get continuous power that the quote.
With the low end of components...watts are hyped..badly.
The agreement that all mfg would only quote continuous power
was torn up some years ago.

There's no free shipping???

bestdealseaker said:   There's no free shipping???

Not sure if you are joking or not...this has been 'in-store pick up' only option since this deal was posted...most stores are sold out.

The thread is clearly showing that there's no free shipping, but the link from the home page says free shipping.

belgique said:   Don't expect to get continuous power that the quote.
With the low end of components...watts are hyped..badly.
The agreement that all mfg would only quote continuous power
was torn up some years ago.

HK was one of the truthful companies so I hope they are still truthful.

MrClean09 said:   Got one! It ROCKS!!!

No it doesn't. It's just a middle of the road receiver. Nothing to get excited about. "It rocks" Oh please; raise your standards.

A newbie here. How does HK compares with Marantz in music and movies?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.