• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Minix Barbebone HTPC w/ ARM A9 Dual Core CPU, 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD and Quad Core Mali 400 Graphics @ Newegg - $99.99

Free Shipping!

• ARM Cortext A9 Dual Core CPU
  • 1GB DDR3 Memory
  • 16GB SSD
  • Mali 400 Quad Core Graphics
  • Wireless N
  • Bluetooth
  • 10/100 LAN
  • Card Reader
  • HDMI
  • 3 USB 2.0 Ports (Micro USB OTG Port)
  • IR Receiver
  • Powered Via 5V 3A DC AC Adapter or USB
  • 1 Year Parts and Labor Warranty

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Member Summary

Minix Barbebone HTPC w/ ARM A9 Dual Core CPU, 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD and Quad Core Mali 400 Graphics
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What OS this one runs? How's it compare to raspberry pi?

hollando said:   What OS this one runs? How's it compare to raspberry pi?

I don't think it comes with any OS.

Android Jelly Bean device (v4.1.1)

tougher said:   hollando said:   What OS this one runs? How's it compare to raspberry pi?

I don't think it comes with any OS.

Looks like most are putting XBMC on the little guy.

If it can only run Android 4.1, can someone tell me which one is better, this one or the MK802 II (http://www.amazon.com/Rikomagic-Android-Rockchip-RK3066-1-6Ghz/d... ?

well.. for what it's worth the one in the OP only supports Android, and android based xbmc.

If you're looking purely for xbmc, I recommend considering pivos Xios. They have a linux firmware you can run on it which is very smooth and supports hardware acceleration.

I believe linux is the only OS that will eventually support frame rate switching (I don't think changing to 24fps for a movie, tehn 30 or 60 for another etc... will be possible in android).

http://www.amazon.com/Companion-802-11n-Ethernet-Official-Sponso...

I bought two, they work really nicely and it's the only arm box that officially supports xbmc development so you feel "good" about it too.

If you order the xios from Amazon it will be the m3 version, which is 1gig ram, and single core 900 or 1ghz processor (versus ops dual core) but if you are looking for xbmc, the single core+linus with hardware acceleration is all you need.

I will warn that all these arm boxes are works in progress and will frustrate you from time to time but I'm liking my xios's (as a pure xbmc client) overall.

Note: I don't believe you can install recent linux firmwares from pivos on other company's arm/android boxes, plus like I said it's nice feeling good about supporting a developer that (from what I understand) has 2 xbmc developers on their payroll.

arebangdu said:   If it can only run Android 4.1, can someone tell me which one is better, this one or the MK802 II (http://www.amazon.com/Rikomagic-Android-Rockchip-RK3066-1-6Ghz/d... ?

Depend on what you need. They are both RK3066. But if you like Bluetooth and want to hook more USB devices then the box is better. And I believe the Ethernet will be more stable and green than the wireless. Or you may turn the wireless into a hotspot when you use the box.

I have one and it works great. I bought an ipazz wireless keyboard/ir remote to go with it. Minix has updates to support hardware acceleration in xbmc. It is in beta currently, but we are early in the rollout of the android version of xbmc. This has more horsepower than the pivos unit.

Does the monitor/tv have to be HDCP compliant?

Devices in this range have only HDMI video/audio output buy you can find many HDMI to VGA converters (that also provide an audio socket) on "Fleebay"... That may answer your question.

uchamish said:   Devices in this range have only HDMI video/audio output buy you can find many HDMI to VGA converters (that also provide an audio socket) on "Fleebay"... That may answer your question.

you should quote what question you are trying to answer. also if you look at the pictures, this unit includes optical audio out. specs also says it has a headphone out which would work for an analog connection.

poppagene said: Does the monitor/tv have to be HDCP compliant?

I doubt it, as this isn't intended to playback protected content, like an actual blu-ray disc or restricted Windows Media recordings. I'm thinking you want to hook it up to something with DVI or an older computer monitor?

No Gb Net.

MeIsCheap said:   
poppagene said: Does the monitor/tv have to be HDCP compliant?

I doubt it, as this isn't intended to playback protected content, like an actual blu-ray disc or restricted Windows Media recordings. I'm thinking you want to hook it up to something with DVI or an older computer monitor?

Or the new SilconDust Project Connect, which is intended to allow all DLNA devices to access networked SD tuners (like the HD HomeRun Prime). Great idea in theory--I'll wait to see the execution!

Does it support hdmi-cec? Want to get one for my father who doesn't know anything besides TV remote.

So with this box I can keep my movies on a NAS on my network, then install the XBMC software on it as a server so other devices on my network can play the movies?

Thanks

They don't mention at what is the speed of the ARM CPU. I suspect is is 1.2 GHz or 1.4 GHz that's why they don't mention it in their specs.
The latest Android mini PCs run on dual core 1.6 GHz.
In comparison, the Odroid U2 ($89) runs on Samsung Exynos4412 Prime Cortex-A9 Quad Core 1.7Ghz CPU with 1MB L2 Cache, 2GB onboard memory and will run Android 4.0 or Ubantu 12.10.

I for one am holding out for this http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/08/07/xbmc-and-ouya-oh-yeah/
Expecting good 1080p playback and with xbmc support this could be another apple beater. This time on the tv front. Too bad it won't be released until April.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014