Voting History
rated:
Toro 38381 18" 15 Amp Electric 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower only $149.99
Electric Snow Blower

Super Hot

Amazon.com is carrying this Electric Snow Blower for $149.99
Shipping is Free on $25.00 or more
Final Price: $149.99 + Free Shipping

Compare: Home Depot ($299.00) | Buy.com ($315.07) | Newegg.com ($330.68) | eBay.com ($340.99)

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Snow Blower
Thanks JayMatt19
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Amazon raised the price by $100 this morning to $250.

This matches the lowest online price at meijer.

Glad I pulled the t... (more)

Lumix (Jan. 23, 2013 @ 1:26p) |

Anyone still need one of these should buy the Greenworks one - still $160 at AMZ:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-dea... (more)

mmyk72 (Jan. 23, 2013 @ 3:04p) |

Not if you use non-ethanol or summerize it.

daredevil1 (Feb. 03, 2013 @ 9:53a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Looks like Amazon lowered their price on the 1800 to meet Target's sale prices, although the 1800 model went OOS pretty quickly at Target.
I ordered the Toro 1500 from Amazon when it went on sale two days ago although now I am wondering if I should have waited for the 1800.
In any case, this gets great reviews and is an unbeatable deal shipped.

Awesome! Been hemming and hawing on this one for a few weeks now!

adnds said:   Awesome! Been hemming and hawing on this one for a few weeks now!

I'm the same, since global warming, we just do not get the snows we used to in the midwest. Even at 1/2 off, I have not really shoveled snow around here in the last 5 years. Generally, snows one day and melts the next day or two.

In for 1...

jschuman said:   adnds said:   Awesome! Been hemming and hawing on this one for a few weeks now!

I'm the same, since global warming, we just do not get the snows we used to in the midwest. Even at 1/2 off, I have not really shoveled snow around here in the last 5 years. Generally, snows one day and melts the next day or two.
Exactly my thought process as well. Needed to shovel my sidewalks this year tho and like to do the road a few feet so the plows don't block the driveway.

Thanks OP. Got one.
I was bummed when I found out about the Target clearance earlier in the week and it went OOS. My brother has had this blower since 2008 and hasn't used his gas model since.

Missed out on the Target sale earlier for about the same price, so I pulled the trigger on this one. Reviews are mostly good, so I hope it last beyond just 1 or 2 seasons.

There is a Snow Joe brand going for almost the same price: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1250075/
Reviews are also good for Snow Joe too except for the chute not staying put, which will get annoying. Also, it has rotor made of steel which to me would be more sturdy than plastic in the Toro.

However, it seems there is no replaceable part that can be purchased for the SJ while Toro does carry replaceable belts at least. Toro seems to have a higher power (15 Amp vs 13.5) on the specs - don't know if that translate to a functional difference.

The reviews are mostly positive for both the Toro and SJ. People complain that it isn't as powerful as a gas blower and having to deal with the cord.... dah! This is a given so I don't understand why people complain about that.

geezlouise said:   Looks like Amazon lowered their price on the 1800 to meet Target's sale prices, although the 1800 model went OOS pretty quickly at Target.
I ordered the Toro 1500 from Amazon when it went on sale two days ago although now I am wondering if I should have waited for the 1800.
If it hadn't shipped, you can try getting your order changed. I'd get the bigger unit which has more power.

We had this one and it worked amazingly well for about six years. The belt broke when I hit some big ice in the neighbor's driveway, but it was cheap and easy to replace. Then, a couple years ago, the motor gave out in a big snowstorm. We put the 1800 on the curb and replaced it with a 2-stroke gas one exactly like the one our neighbor lent us when the 1800 quit.

No complaints at all for <$200. This thing REALLY throws snow.

Dennis

Around here we don't shovel the snow because the city wont plow the roads so there is no way to get anywhere.

geezlouise said:   Looks like Amazon lowered their price on the 1800 to meet Target's sale prices, although the 1800 model went OOS pretty quickly at Target.

Toro 1500 is also on sale at Amazon for $94.51...almost good as Target sale price of $89.99 plus tax.

Perfect timing, got one! Thanks OP!

I've been using the Toro 1800 Power Curve for the past few years and can add my voice to the overall positive reviews.
This model can move a nice amount of snow quickly and throws it a good distance.

Toro 38361 Power Shovel 7.5 Amp Electric Snow Thrower is $57.84 now
which is the lowest price ever at Amazon and includes Free Shipping.

I've had one of these for 5+ years as well, it works very well. Only extremely wet and deep snow slows it down.

Just found out earlier today that we will be getting 8" to 10" of snow here tomorrow night. I live in Virginia. Ordered it through Amazon Prime: One-Day Shipping is $3.99 per item. Will get it by 8pm tomorrow night. Just in time!!!

rmi65700 said:   Just found out earlier today that we will be getting 8" to 10" of snow here tomorrow night. I live in Virginia. Ordered it through Amazon Prime: One-Day Shipping is $3.99 per item. Will get it by 8pm tomorrow night. Just in time!!!
Rmi: good luck. Let us know how your new toy handles the snow after the storm.

jschuman said:   adnds said:   Awesome! Been hemming and hawing on this one for a few weeks now!

And if you got above average snow fall, you'd also blame global warming.

bobdelt said:   And if you got above average snow fall, you'd also blame global warming.

You should know by now that the term has been modified to "climate change." That way, anything that isn't within 2-3 degrees of the average temperature is cause for bringing down productive economies or at least finding additional excuses to excessively tax those that aren't on board with global warming, er...climate change.

BTW: This is a great deal on an excellent snow thrower. Due to climate change, I've had to use mine a couple times this year. Of course, I didn't use it at all last year, which was also due to climate change. Yes, I really do have one. I'm not a fan of mixing the fuel for a gas item, so I opted for the electric version. Also, I can hang this one on the wall when not in use. Be sure to get a heavy duty power cord for it. Check the specs before using lightweight cords, so you don't cause problems.

TimInHollywood said:   bobdelt said:   And if you got above average snow fall, you'd also blame global warming.

You should know by now that the term has been modified to "climate change." That way, anything that isn't within 2-3 degrees of the average temperature is cause for bringing down productive economies or at least finding additional excuses to excessively tax those that aren't on board with global warming, er...climate change.

BTW: This is a great deal on an excellent snow thrower. Due to climate change, I've had to use mine a couple times this year. Of course, I didn't use it at all last year, which was also due to climate change. Yes, I really do have one. I'm not a fan of mixing the fuel for a gas item, so I opted for the electric version. Also, I can hang this one on the wall when not in use. Be sure to get a heavy duty power cord for it. Check the specs before using lightweight cords, so you don't cause problems.

Is 14 gauge sufficient for 50 ft or 25 ft cord? The Toro manual (avail on the HD website) indicates that's fine. But a lot of people mentioned using 12 gauge - is the 12 gauge needed only if the cord is 100 ft?

mmyk72 said:   
Is 14 gauge sufficient for 50 ft or 25 ft cord? The Toro manual (avail on the HD website) indicates that's fine. But a lot of people mentioned using 12 gauge - is the 12 gauge needed only if the cord is 100 ft?

Heavy-duty motors are more likely to burn out if they can't get all the current they need, especially under load. THIS LINK provides a good reference. Basically, you should stick with a 12 gauge or 10 gauge cord for this snow blower.

docjoo said:   geezlouise said:   Looks like Amazon lowered their price on the 1800 to meet Target's sale prices, although the 1800 model went OOS pretty quickly at Target.

Toro 1500 is also on sale at Amazon for $94.51...almost good as Target sale price of $89.99 plus tax.
Toro 1500 is OOS - On backorder.

I owned a Snow Joe. It was very powerful but one of the blades let loose and demolished the body of the unit. SJ said that part wasn't covered by their warranty. How convenient. I now own a GreenWorks blower and it is built much more solid and has double the warranty. So far it has worked awesome. A bit more pricey but worth it.

JosiOK said:   mmyk72 said:   

Heavy-duty motors are more likely to burn out if they can't get all the current they need, especially under load. THIS LINK provides a good reference. Basically, you should stick with a 12 gauge or 10 gauge cord for this snow blower.

Thanks for the info! I just ordered a 12 gauge cord from Amazon (33 bucks for a 50 ft cord).

Ordered the 1800 yesterday and it's now shipped and pending arrival tomorrow - that's quick!

in for one also! lets see how it does in hartford area. wish i had it on tuesday for the 6" of sloppy stuff. would have been the perfect test.

in for one also! lets see how it does in hartford area. wish i had it on tuesday for the 6" of sloppy stuff. would have been the perfect test.

TY OP... right on time!

mmyk72: Used my new toy tonight. I was very pleased with it. We only had about 4" of snow not the 10" they were predicting. I was hesitant after reading some reviews on Amazon that it would leave a thin coating of snow. I did not experience this. It cleaned off the snow down to the concrete, actually better than using a snow shovel. I would recommend owning the TORO 38381 Snow Blower.

I have two 'Shovels' and one '1800':
  • Be careful with ice, gravel and the *PACKED* PILES that the snow plows leave at the front of your driveway.
    - The plastic 'spirals' on *ALL* of them CHIP / BEND / DEFORM very easily.
    - The DRIVE GEAR on my first 'Shovel' cracked in half when I hit a 'hidden' chunk of ice under the snow.

• The 'Shovel' is great for clearing steps and decks (i.e. it's lighter) but it only throws STRAIGHT.

• The '1800' is great for clearing the driveway when you need to direct the snow LEFT or RIGHT.

• Don't attempt to plow snow HIGHER than the unit. Either hold the unit up high enough to do a LAYER at-a-time *OR* break the snow down MANUALLY with an old fashioned shovel.

• While they don't have the POWER of gasoline powered units, they also don't have the MAINTENANCE!

rmi65700 said:   mmyk72: Used my new toy tonight. I was very pleased with it. We only had about 4" of snow not the 10" they were predicting. I was hesitant after reading some reviews on Amazon that it would leave a thin coating of snow. I did not experience this. It cleaned off the snow down to the concrete, actually better than using a snow shovel. I would recommend owning the TORO 38381 Snow Blower.
rmi: thanks for posting your 1st impressions. I can't wait for a snowstorm to test it out. We just had about 3 inches and I find it pretty easy to shovel. So it's probably not worth the hassle to mess with the machine and the cord until it's 5+ inches.

Here is my 1st impressions: The Toro arrived this afternoon via UPS, so I immediately unboxed it and followed the installation instructions. There are only 3 simple things to do: 1) Screw on the Upper Handle, 2) Insert the metal rod (lever) that turns the chute, and 3) Put the 2 cord clips on the handle.

Starting with unboxing the machine, it's pretty easy. There are even instructions on the box flap on how to best get the snowblower out of the box. [Thumbs Up]. However, I heard something loose inside the box which turned out to be one set of the bolt, washer and turn-knob for the handles floating around inside (These are supposed to be attached to the lower handle loosely). [Thumbs Down on Quality Control].

At Step 1, I ran into a problem. Of the 2 bolts that attach the upper handle to the lower handle, I simply cannot tighten the turn-knob onto 1 of the bolt (the other bolt worked fine). I suspect it's a defective bolt and will try to contact Toro for a replacement. Will update what happens.

Step 2 was pretty simple. The metal rod (lever) is supposed to be inserted into the hole directly under the chute and snaps in place. But I find that metal rod slips out of its socket way too easily. If the lever isn't pushed in hard while attempting to turn the chute direction, it simply comes loose. I can probably live with this by turning the chute directly by hand (rather than via the lever). But its a Thumbs Down.

Step 3 was snapping the cord holder in place. It's not easy at first, but figured out that bending the little plastic piece inside the round clips helps.

I haven't used it for snow yet. Hope it goes better than what I experienced so far.

Snow? That's so 2008!

Got my 1800 Toro 15 amp from Amazon today. Getting the 12 amp from target monday. Looks like target will have one in stock by tuesday.

TimInHollywood said:   bobdelt said:   And if you got above average snow fall, you'd also blame global warming.
This is a great deal on an excellent snow thrower. Due to climate change, I've had to use mine a couple times this year. Of course, I didn't use it at all last year, which was also due to climate change. Yes, I really do have one. I'm not a fan of mixing the fuel for a gas item, so I opted for the electric version. Also, I can hang this one on the wall when not in use. Be sure to get a heavy duty power cord for it. Check the specs before using lightweight cords, so you don't cause problems.

I don't have to mix fuel for my gas snow blower.

daredevil1 said:   TimInHollywood said:   ...I'm not a fan of mixing the fuel for a gas item, so I opted for the electric version...I don't have to mix fuel for my gas snow blower.But, gasoline DOES go stale and has to be replaced - along with sparkplugs.

Amazon raised the price by $100 this morning to $250.

This matches the lowest online price at meijer.

Glad I pulled the trigger at $149.

Anyone still need one of these should buy the Greenworks one - still $160 at AMZ:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1251920/

TakeTheActive said:   daredevil1 said:   TimInHollywood said:   ...I'm not a fan of mixing the fuel for a gas item, so I opted for the electric version...I don't have to mix fuel for my gas snow blower.But, gasoline DOES go stale and has to be replaced - along with sparkplugs.

Not if you use non-ethanol or summerize it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014