• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Here's the info:

On January 22, 2013 Namecheap is having an official Move Your Domains Day.
Starting just after midnight EST we are offering $3.99 transfers for com, net, org, info, and biz domains!

Transferred domain registrations are extended by one year from their current due date.

Some limits will apply and a $0.18 ICANN fee will be added to each com and net domains.

(On every successful transfer they donate $0.50 & $1.50, per domain, to EFF)

I'll be glad to get mine out from register.com
. Not due til June, but the sooner the better unless someone tells me of better transfer deals.

Use code OpenInternet

Member Summary

Domain transfer to Namecheap
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Use code OpenInternet

Not valid for domains that have previously been transferred from Namecheap
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

was hoping for GD coupon for my renewals, but if not this looks great. thanks

How much do renewals normally run on Namecheap?

I have always been able to get renewals for about 8 bucks on GD.

Some things to consider if you are moving your domain.

Namecheap doesn't actually have telephone support. none. No phone number of any kind published.
Namecheap doesn't have an address, just a mailbox drop.
Namecheap is a reseller - Enom runs the show

GoDaddy has free 24/7 telephone support.
GoDaddy owns their equipment

NameSilo - Cheaper than Namecheap
NameSilo - has a telephone number
NameSilo - Owns there own equipment
NameSilo - Never charges for privacy (Even at renewal).

Choose wisely. I've used them all. Use GoDaddy for things that are "mission critical". Use NameSilo for everything else. Dropped Namecheap after a really long slow email process where they couldn't solve a problem and I couldn't call them.

gobigmike said:   Some things to consider if you are moving your domain.
Namecheap is a reseller - Enom runs the show

This is actually a good thing. When registerfly.com went down, taking their "privacy" clients with them, domains that were registered when they were an enom reseller were recoverable through enom.

I would rather save money at a competitor of GoDaddy's than put money in the pocket of a man who kills elephants for sport.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/31/bob-parsons-godaddy-ceo-elephant-hunt_n_843121.html

I use 1&1 for domain registrations but their DNS updates take forever. Namecheap's DNS updates are pretty instantaneous, they have a solid track record and an established history. Definitely not a fly by night sort of company.

In the past, they have been pretty responsive with their email support.

The really good part of this deal is the donation they are making to the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

anonguy said:   The really good part of this deal is the donation they are making to the Electronic Frontier Foundation.To help fight supporters of SOPA and PIPA... Not that I want to name any names.

gobigmike said:   Use GoDaddy for things that are "mission critical".Wow. Just... wow. Please read up on nodaddy2.com before taking this advice to heart.

Just read the announcement again and noticed you'll have to use coupon code "OpenInternet"

@Fizzter
Namecheap is a bit more expensive than GD. They rarely have coupons that work on renewals (unless you have 50 domains with them -> $1 off each domain) and I don't know any site offering CashBack. I would rather pay more than sponsoring the killing of elephants though.

@taipan
NoDaddy.com was bought by GD about two years ago.

ithinkurdumb said:   
@taipan
NoDaddy.com was bought by GD about two years ago.
So it was... nodaddy2.com is around now to fill some of that void.

Also, this promotion is NOT valid for domains that have previously been transferred from Namecheap at any point. If they have ever handled the domain (whether is was yours then or not) this coupon will not work for a discounted transfer.

taipan said:   Also, this promotion is NOT valid for domains that have previously been transferred from Namecheap at any point. If they have ever handled the domain (whether is was yours then or not) this coupon will not work for a discounted transfer.
Thanks for that bit of information, saved me some time. My Domain was previously with Namecheap. But the policy seems discriminatory & petty.

gobigmike said:   ...Dropped Namecheap after a really long slow email process where they couldn't solve a problem and I couldn't call them.
Just used their live chat. Issue resolved in less than a minute.

taipan said:   

Also, this promotion is NOT valid for domains that have previously been transferred from Namecheap at any point. If they have ever handled the domain (whether is was yours then or not) this coupon will not work for a discounted transfer.

I sure hope they change that someday. It prevents ppl from ever coming back. What's the point? Make them stuck with GD even if they want to leave?

Dang. I misread it as midnight PST. Unlocked my GoDaddy domains, got the EPP code and had it all ready to go. Then watched Ice Age with my son and went back on at 9:03 and it was all over. Chat was nice, but it's now $9 to transfer.

I'm still waiting for my EPP codes from register; they really drag their feet on that. Even just the unlocking felt like one of those scam pages where you have to click seven time "yes I really want to leave.
Hoping I still can put them in when they finally come.

TeeSemmel said:   I'm still waiting for my EPP codes from register; they really drag their feet on that. Even just the unlocking felt like one of those scam pages where you have to click seven time "yes I really want to leave.
Hoping I still can put them in when they finally come.

Same here. After seeing all the complaints on their FB page for the same problem, I sent them an email asking to speed up the process. We'll see.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.