• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Filtrete 7-Day Touchscreen WiFi-Enabled Programmable Thermostat with Backlight + Free App

Valid only today and only online limited to 5 per customer.

The Filtrete 7-Day Touchscreen WiFi-Enabled Programmable Thermostat with Backlight can be programmed remotely from any internet connection or iPhone. It offers a large display with 7-day programming for efficient climate control that fits your schedule. This thermostat is packed with convenience features and compatible with all residential furnace types.

• 7-day programming for consistent temperature control
  • Can be programmed remotely from a web portal, iPhone, or Android phone
  • On-screen filter-change alert
  • Room temperature calibration to a previous thermostat or temperature sensor
  • Grid status indicators show energy-grid condition (not available in all areas)
  • 100% compatible with all popular residential central heating and cooling systems
  • Large, bright touch-screen display for easy viewing
  • Partial lock feature allows for temporary adjustment of the program
  • 365-day telephone and web support ensure trouble-free installation and setup
  • Room temperature calibration to a previous thermostat or temperature sensor
  • 100% compatible with all popular residential central heating and cooling systems
  • All remote access features require working WiFi network with internet access and a "C" or common wire connected to the thermostat for power
  • MFG Brand Name : Filtrete
  • MFG Model # : 3M-50
  • MFG Part # : 3M-50

Instructions on Installation here
Use and Care here
Warranty Info here

Home Depot
See Home Depot discounts that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

thermostat (10.24kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary

Very interesting option. I've been looking at doing setting something like this up for a while and it has always been a lot more expensive to implement.

I have three of these in my house, 2 for heating zones and 1 for AC and they are very cost effective. The smartphone app works great and it is easy to set up the schedule via the web interface. They are also very reliable!

guho said:   I have three of these in my house, 2 for heating zones and 1 for AC and they are very cost effective. The smartphone app works great and it is easy to set up the schedule via the web interface. They are also very reliable!
Can you give a little more info on this? Did you set them up yourself, or was it something that has to be done by a pro?
Thanks.

just added some more info if this helps

If only I could program my family to get up, go to bed, come, and go with the timer!

it's out of stock!

stn0795 said:   it's out of stock!

Hmmm...I just ordered 2.

Why do these have to require batteries? not a fan of needing batteries.

Litobird said:   Why do these have to require batteries? not a fan of needing batteries.

In case you lose power...settings will remain.

They're easy to set up. They have youtube videos and an excellent customer support line (you can also do online chat, 7 days a week). We use ours to monitor and control our mountain cabin. What we like is the system will send us an email or text alert if the thermostat is unable to communicate with the cloud for more than 4 hours (this is almost always due to a winter power failure).

I was going to get this, but a neg. Amazon review claims this is ONLY operational via a company cloud service.

It's not so much a big privacy issue for me as much as my concern that a monthly fee could be imposed down the road ????

Any thoughts ?

missed it!

In addition to the batteries, the system needs a 24v AC power source to power the WIFI module. Most HVAC systems operate on 24VAC so it's just a matter of hooking up the wires (depending on your old themostat the 24VAC is probably already connected to it).

We've had this thermostat for almost 2 years and in the meantime got a new heating system. I hooked the thermostat up to the new system and the wifi part did not work. After talking to the 3M people via chat, we tested the power coming in to the thermostat and instead of the 24V, it was only 13VAC. We added a seperate transformer to get the proper voltage to the thermostat and all was well. If you have to add a transformer to power this thing - be very careful and measure the output of the transformer you use. I originally purchased a 24VAC transformer from Home Depot that is designed to run sprinkler systems - in testing the voltage per instructions from the 3M rep, the transformer was found to be putting out almost 28V. The rep suggested that was probably too high and could potentially damage the unit and suggested I get an 18VAC supply - that it would be sufficient to power the wifi module and not be too high as to potentially damage it.

I found an 18VAC supply originally intended for a wifi router on eBay for $10 shipped and it's worked great since.

Folks, thought not expensive, will still consider going with NEST rather ...

HTuttle said:   I was going to get this, but a neg. Amazon review claims this is ONLY operational via a company cloud service.

It's not so much a big privacy issue for me as much as my concern that a monthly fee could be imposed down the road ????

Any thoughts ?

If you're worried about that, you could spend $150 more and get the NEST.

I installed one in my Tahoe vacation home. Not too hard to configure for wireless access after I figured out that I could not program it when is in Simple mode. Android and iTune apps are great to use. I can turn on the furnace before I take off. By the time I arrive the house is warm and toasty. I paid $99 for mine === at $69 it is a great deal. Too bad that I missed it.

HTuttle said:   I was going to get this, but a neg. Amazon review claims this is ONLY operational via a company cloud service.

Any thoughts ?

I thought about it but decided it was a remote possibility and even if it happened it would be a minor annoyance to me (your view may vary).

They’ve released the API so that it can be integrated into home automation systems and there are a couple server programs and apps that take advantage of it, I use this Radio WiFi Thermostat app to control the thermostat directly from my phone (faster than the official app, though it only works on the local network). There's also a server program that you can install on your computer and run in place of the cloud service, a bit more work on your end to set up and you need the computer always on but it removes the dependency issue.

I bought mine a couple months ago and love it, if it wasn't sold out I would have bought another one for my parents. Being able to switch off the vacation mode ~1hr before I got home from the holidays was nice, the house was nice and toasty by the time I got home.

Gambit3 said:   guho said:   I have three of these in my house, 2 for heating zones and 1 for AC and they are very cost effective. The smartphone app works great and it is easy to set up the schedule via the web interface. They are also very reliable!
Can you give a little more info on this? Did you set them up yourself, or was it something that has to be done by a pro?
Thanks.

Can be done yourself. Using a pro would negate any savings and will not appeal to fatwalleters. The only challenge is to get the C-wire to the thermostat so it can be powered by the 24AC from the thermostat circuit. Usually there is some unused conductor or some other way to get the C-wire to the thermostat. Worst-case scenario is requiring its own power supply, which can be any AC or DC of 9-24V.

One thing I do not like is that it consumes battery even when powered from the thermostat circuit. Ideally the battery should be for retaining time or settings and normal operation powered by 24AC. As it stands, the thermostat is battery-powered whereas the wifi module is 24AC-powered.

But given that this costs a fraction of other solutions and it is flexible with cloud and local (curl-compatible) controls I think it is wonderful.

guho said:   Worst-case scenario is requiring its own power supply, which can be any AC or DC of 9-24V

I don't think that part is correct. My C wire in my new system was putting out a shade over 13V but wouldn't run the wifi module. The 3M rep said 18-24VAC is optimal for the system (see my post above).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014