• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Intel X25-M SATA 2.5" 160GB Solid State Drive @ Tiger Direct - $89.99 after Rebate
was $119.99
shippings starts at $3.58
Expires On: Jan 19, 2013 11:59pm

Rebates
$30 Mail-in Rebate



(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)


Tiger Direct
See Tiger Direct coupons that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Intel X25-M SATA 2.5" 160GB Solid State Drive
Thanks sparky34
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It's a good price for the size. The downside is that it's Serial ATA-300, so it doesn't support 6 Gig transfer. Maybe not an issue for some, but if you are looking for speed beware that it's a slower drive.

drodge said:   It's a good price for the size. The downside is that it's Serial ATA-300, so it doesn't support 6 Gig transfer. Maybe not an issue for some, but if you are looking for speed beware that it's a slower drive.

Only for sequential, and how often are you looking to transfer movie files between two SATA6G SSDs? Because that's the only scenario where sequentials above 300MB/sec matter, really.

There are many other scenarios where speed is of concern. Just pointing out the fact for people who might be concerned. There are plenty of SATA3 drives out there for a little more money, so just trying to put out the information.

But where an SSD shines, is random I/O. And these Intel X25-M SSDs have EXCELLENT random I/O.

Green for you OP - these intel drives are just fantastic!


Not the fastest SSD around, but Intel X25-M G2 is the most reliable SSD to date. A true gem for under $100.

Would this work as a replacement for my 2.5" laptop drive in my Vostro 1500 laptop?

Be careful. Not all SSDs can plug into laptops. Your best bet is to call your computer manufacturer to see what parts are upgradeable. Also, a new hard drive on some laptops can be a no-go for reinstalling the original version of Windows that came on your computer. If that is the case, you need to call Windows to have it reactived on the new computer and i've heard nightmares doing that.

Are you sure that the X25-M currently on sale at TD is G2 not G1? There is huge difference between the two.

dayve said:   Be careful. Not all SSDs can plug into laptops. Your best bet is to call your computer manufacturer to see what parts are upgradeable. Also, a new hard drive on some laptops can be a no-go for reinstalling the original version of Windows that came on your computer. If that is the case, you need to call Windows to have it reactived on the new computer and i've heard nightmares doing that.

You sound like you've never upgraded anything, just "heard stories".

Let me set the record straight. If a laptop uses a standard laptop HDD, then you can replace it with an SSD. They come in two main varieties, 9.5mm, and 7mm. These Intel G2 SSDs may or may not come with the spacer attached to make them 9.5mm. If they do, and you have a laptop that takes 7mm drives, then you'll have to remove the spacer, or get an SSD that comes as a 7mm drive. (Certain G2 drives, and Crucial m4 drives do.)

When it comes to re-installing Windows, if you made a CD/DVD restore disc set, then you can usually, although not always, use that.

Otherwise, your laptop comes with a sticker on either the bottom, or hidden under the battery, with a Windows license product key. Use an OEM install media (you can download those if you know where to look), and install the OS fresh onto the SSD, and then use that key. You may or may not have to call MS's activation line. Generally, that is a painless process, although it can be a hassle to type in the numbers, and then have it read them back out to you.

renkangning said:   Are you sure that the X25-M currently on sale at TD is G2 not G1? There is huge difference between the two.

The model number is SSDSA2MH160G2 according to TD. Note that the model number ends in "G2", so yes, it is a G2 drive.

I should mention, I purchased the 80GB G2 SSD from TD in Dec., and I sent in the rebate form(s) right away, and chose the "no wait" option for $2 less. I recieved my $18 pre-paid card in the mail about a week or so ago.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014