• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Movie night’s free when you cash in $5 or more at Coinstar in Kroger and pick a NO-FEE eGift Card! Check your voucher for a promo code for a free 1-day Redbox DVD rental. Stop by any Redbox location to redeem your code – then enjoy the show! Offer available 1/20-2/16/13 at the Kroger Co. family of stores: Kroger, Fred Meyer, Fry's, King Soopers, Dillons, City Market, Smith's, Baker's, Ralphs, QFC, and Gerbes.

Promo code terms: Promo code expires 2/23/13. Limit: 1 code per transaction, regardless of # of rentals. 1 time use of code only. Unless specifically stated otherwise, promo code valid at the box only for a 1-day standard DVD rental or a discount worth the value of the standard DVD daily rental rate off the first night's daily rental fee for a Blu-ray Disc™ or video game. Unless specifically stated otherwise, promo codes are not valid online, on the app or for prior rentals. Your payment card (necessary for any rental) will be charged the excess daily rental fee for a Blu-ray Disc or video game and the full daily rental rate for any additional items, plus applicable tax (except for MD rental transactions for which additional tax is not charged) for the first night of rental, if applicable, and will be charged the full daily rental fee for all items plus applicable tax (except for MD rental transactions) for each day you do not return your rental by 9:00 p.m. local time (at the box) after first rental night. Void where prohibited by law. Code must not be copied, sold, or otherwise offered. Any other use constitutes fraud. Cannot be combined with other offers. Not redeemable for cash. Offer subject to cancelation or change at any time.

Full details at: https://www.coinstar.com/SpecialOffersDetail/PromoId/28

Member Summary

redbox
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks OP. And an extra rick. If you choose Amazon card, and stop at 7 or 8, you get cash, of course no free movie either, but you don't get stuck with more gift cards (at some point it starts giving the card code, but as long as you stop, cash, no strings attached

I'm not sure I understand the point (or "trick") you're trying to inform us about. Prior to beginning the coin counting process, one is prompted to select whether they'd prefer an eCertificate/eCard, cash, or donate to charity. After the coins have been counted, there's a prompt to confirm that your selection again. If you go with the eCertificate, its value is the full amount of the coins you cashed in, but if you go with a cash voucher, they take a 9.8% cut. I guess what I'm asking is, what's the advantage to stopping after $7 or $8 like you suggested, forgo collecting the benefit of the offer to get cash? Am I missing something?

I first tried Coinstar years ago when their fee, iirc, was half what it is now (I think they started at 5%). They didn't offer the merchant voucher cashout option back then. I didn't relish the idea of them taking 5%, let alone the 9.8% they do now, for simply counting my own money. (Granted, they do have significant costs to support the machines and all it takes to keep them running, I just didn't like being on of those to pay them for it.)

I stumbled across this deal when I did a look to see if Redbox had any promos. I think often times as consumers, we forget why it is business run promotions. It really doesn't provide them much benefit if their existing users find clever ways to exploit the system. Just look at the Best Buy $50 MC coupon fiasco--that surely didn't buy BestBuy what they were looking for. This Coinstar deal however, got me as a consumer to take a look at them again. I wasn't aware of the alternatives they now offer that lets one avoid paying the high fee they charge for taking the coin value counted back in cash. There aren't many merchants I'd be content substituting cash for a credit to use on purchases on their site/at their stores, but I buy quite a bit from Amazon, so any credits are as good as cash to me. Personally, I don't feel "stuck" having them, no matter what their value might be. I have a huge glass container of coins that for this deal, took a few handfuls to the store and fed to the Coinstar machine. I split them into three transactions, so I got three Redbox coupons along with three Amazon eCertificates worth some $18, $24 and $28. The "trick" or thing to do here is immediately enter them in your account. Otherwise, it's easy to lose or forget about them--something no doubt Coinstar would like (and may even figure in to their business model).

In the end, this promo has me back as a happy Coinstar user who will continue to use them in the future, well after the perk of a collecfing a few free Redbox movies ends... Coinstar gets a cut from Amazon and Amazon continues to get more of my business. Win-Win-Win for all.

Yeah, I'm not sure what "trick" they were talking about either. Unless it was choosing Amazon and then not dumping enough in to qualify for card and they somehow don't then charge you the 9.8%. But since the Amazon credit starts at just $5, I don't see any benefit unless you are going to do a bunch of <$5 dumps. Quite frankly, taking up a fistful of $4.97 vouchers is just stretching your luck and annoying a clerk.

My own experience with this offer was the Coinstar machine kept telling me there was technical difficulties so it forced me to a cash voucher (but without the 9.8% deducted) even though I like getting the Amazon credit. Unfortunately, it also didn't kick out the Redbox codes. The Kroger manager, though, called Coinstar and they gave her the codes. And to take this to the end, one of the codes turned out to be invalid, but a chat with Redbox brought a new one with no problems. So a good company (Coinstar owns Redbox).

No problem getting the Redbox code with the Coinstar at my local Fred Meyer. Dumped in $5 in quarters and selected Amazon eGift card. FYI, on the receipt, the Amazon promo code is at the very top, and the Redbox code is at the very bottom.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014