• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
valvo23 said:   Nice deal, too bad its not showing up for me as an existing customer. I have the double play w/ Prime and 15/5 but don't get offered this.

Same for me. No special pricing. Double play is my current setup, but contract expired. Looks like $15 more to only get the 'quantum' at 50/25. I see a $5/month discount would be included, but I have that now. Also, there's a banner at the top of the screen that eludes to a bonus card offer, but it's not clickable, doesn't say an amount, and mentions 'or other bonus' in the description.

This is VA, btw.

Major props, op. I got 75/35 + Ultimate HD for $95 (existing customer). I was paying $104 for Ultimate + 35/35 prior

websquirrel said:   HiFideal said:   
I just switched a few months ago from my name to my wife's name to get the new customer prices. Now, I got to do it again !!!!

When you switched account owners, did you have to return your old equipment in your name and install new equipment registered to yours?
Am curious about this answer too, but am currently going down this path w/ the intent to return all existing equipment. Am not under a contract, and VZ is only offering the deal to "new customers." So let VZ spend the $$$ for a fresh truck roll.

You do need a set top box regardless of whether or not you select a cable card! The set top box is essential if you have a HDTV.

potomoc said:   You do need a set top box regardless of whether or not you select a cable card! The set top box is essential if you have a HDTV.

Non-sense. You only need it if you want on-demand.

khalkhalash said:   Thanks a million, OP!!! I just had FIOS installed on Saturday. I first chatted online and was given a hard time by the CSR, who said that there was nothing they could do to offer me the new promo. I reminded the CSR that I was within 30 days of my install and could just cancel my service with no early termination fee. CSR didn't care. An hour later, I called Verizon Support by phone and told them about this deal and they didn't hassle me at all.

I went from:

- $109.99/month for 75/35 Mbps Internet AND Extreme HD (349 channels) + $11.99/month for 1 Set-Top HD Box + $200 Visa Prepaid Card = $121.98/month + tax on a 2-year contract

to

- $85/month for 75/35 Mbps Internet AND Ultimate HD (440 channels) + $11.99/month for 1 Set-Top HD Box + $2.42 Regional Sports Fee + $200 Visa Prepaid Card = $99.41/month + tax on a 2-year contract

So op, you saved me at least $22.57/month for 24 months = $541.68!! (+ tax)

THANK YOU!

Thank you, this kind of enthusiasm and responses is what drive people like me to keep looking for and posting deals. Woah, thats a HUGEEEE Saving , good for us . Dont forget to give me the GREEN !!

StingyMan said:   If you select CableCard, do you also need a Set Top Box?

Yes, this option is for those who have a TV that has built in card readers. I've tried finding a 3rd party cable box that'll accept cable card and have had no luck other than Tivo. Tivo service costs money so I did not opt for that. Lemme know if you have any luck finding one (that works) because the craigslist Fios boxes get blacklisted on Verizon's system and I am not certain if other 3rd party boxes (such as Time Warner's) will work on Fios.

I've settled for using Xbox's in each room that doesn't have a STB. The built in Fios app on the xbox live let's you watch most of the channels that I care about.

tadr said:   potomoc said:   You do need a set top box regardless of whether or not you select a cable card! The set top box is essential if you have a HDTV.

?! Please explain. From what I understood you can only get public OTA type of channels without the STB.

beware of bait and switch with Verizon...they will sign you up with one deal then claim no knowledge after the first bill

pianoCM said:   I just simply hate Verizon, especially their CSR.
Horrible!

Their CSR is not so bad if you can get to them at all through all the hoops the answering system setup. I've never seen a more annoying answering system.

vectorz said:   tadr said:   potomoc said:   You do need a set top box regardless of whether or not you select a cable card! The set top box is essential if you have a HDTV.

?! Please explain. From what I understood you can only get public OTA type of channels without the STB.

Well...

If your TV has a QAM tuner you will get some channels. Not enough to make it worth while. Mostly locals. No guide. And the channels move around from time to time, and yes, no On-Demand without a STB.

Don't confuse a STB with a digital adapter either. Not the same thing.

Also this may sound lame but a multi room DVR isn't a multi room DVR unless you rent another STB for the other rooms. So don't fall for the multi room DVR for $19.99 ad. It's $19.99 plus at least $11.99 for one other room.

You can also use an Xbox with the Verizon FiOS app. Again limited. About 75 channels with a bunch of HD last I checked.

The cable card is only for devices designed to accept them. Newer TVs, Tivo, Silicon Dust and such.

Heads up people! I re-upped last August and the CSR promised $200 in gift cards. Four months later, no cards. Chatted online and they said they had no record of that promise. Called them up and I asked for the recording of our original agreement. After waiting on the phone, the CSR says it will require an investigation, but they would assure me of a $100 card. I took it. That's the kind of company this is.

poorfatkid said:   vectorz said:   tadr said:   potomoc said:   You do need a set top box regardless of whether or not you select a cable card! The set top box is essential if you have a HDTV.

Well...

If your TV has a QAM tuner you will get some channels. Not enough to make it worth while. Mostly locals. No guide. And the channels move around from time to time, and yes, no On-Demand without a STB.

Don't confuse a STB with a digital adapter either. Not the same thing.

Also this may sound lame but a multi room DVR isn't a multi room DVR unless you rent another STB for the other rooms. So don't fall for the multi room DVR for $19.99 ad. It's $19.99 plus at least $11.99 for one other room.

You can also use an Xbox with the Verizon FiOS app. Again limited. About 75 channels with a bunch of HD last I checked.

The cable card is only for devices designed to accept them. Newer TVs, Tivo, Silicon Dust and such.

OK, so here's how it is on the cablecards/set top boxes (STB).. I've had both...

1. Your flat-screen TV can decode ATSC signals (those are signals you get from an antenna over-the-air) and unencrypted QAM.
2. Your local channels will be sent by the cable company in unencrypted QAM, even their HD versions. For the rest of the cable channels, they're sent in analog, unencrypted, too. (though a recent bending-over by the FCC will no longer require them to do so).http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57533637-38/fcc-allows-cable-o...
3. So for #1 and #2, all you need is to plug the cable into your TV, and Bob's your uncle (assuming you have cable service, of course).
4. What if you want to get the HD version of channels? Ah, for those, you need a STB OR a Cable Card, but not both.
4a. A STB acts as a decoder for the encrypted-QAM channels, decrypts them, so when you plug it to the TV, you can see the channels decrypted.
4b. A Cable-card works in conjunction with ANOTHER device, into which it's plugged, and THAT device decodes the encrypted QAM channels so you can get your HDTV cable. What devices? Well, the most common ones are HD HomeRUn Prime, which has 3 built-in tuners, and the Ceton InfiniTV, which has 4 built-in tuners. I have the former.
5. This is what you get with a STB that you DON'T get with with a CAble-Card:
a. Interactive Guide
b. On-Demand
c. PPV (I believe. not sure on this).
6. So why would you go with a cable-card instead of a STB? One word: COST.
Renting a cable-card from the cable company runs around $4/month, for 3-4 HTDV tuners (that means you can watch/record 3-4 channels at once). Renting an set-top box with the same capabilities will run you around $15/month or so...
7. in summary, you need a STB OR a cable-card for HDTV, but not both...

Thank you for posting this!

Ok, I have 15/5 internet only and though this deal would be a little more expensive for so much more, so I logged on to do it. BUT I really didn't want all the channels, so I dropped the TV to the bare minimum (no actual cable channels, just regular local ones) and then dropped the internet speed to what I had already and I ended up SAVING $20 a month. Sure, I didn't get the extra gift card and all those channels, but I saved a bunch of money (the price doesn't change after the first month) AND since I chose 'self install' I got a $50 gift card.

Take home message: This is a good deal, but you can use this bundling deal to add the lowest level TV and drop your price.

I also noticed that it was only $5/month more to select month-to-month. Totally worth it to me to not be bound by a contract.

RK73 said:   Stranger2 said:   I BELIEVE one gets a new FIOS wireless router, correct? Or do I just use the equipment that I currently have? (That would also work great since I have 3 FIOS routers networked throughout the house using COAX).

Yes, I believe Quantum internet makes you eligible for the new n band router. I will try to get one myself once my bundle is upgraded.

Any FIOS customer is eligible for the red-banded N-band router, but even as a new customer you won't get it for free. It's still $80 through them. Their standard modem is still the Actiontec MI424 that they've been shipping for years.

Instead of buying the red-band router, go to Best Buy, find a deal on a N-band router, disable DHCP on it and plug it in to your existing MI424.

LordAthens said:   Any FIOS customer is eligible for the red-banded N-band router, but even as a new customer you won't get it for free. It's still $80 through them. Their standard modem is still the Actiontec MI424 that they've been shipping for years.

Instead of buying the red-band router, go to Best Buy, find a deal on a N-band router, disable DHCP on it and plug it in to your existing MI424.
Yes, I know I can get an N-band router myself, but CSR at the local Verizon store told me that their top tier Internet customers get new Verizon N-band router free, others can buy it for $80. By 'eligible' I actually meant 'free'.

LordAthens said:   
Any FIOS customer is eligible for the red-banded N-band router, but even as a new customer you won't get it for free. It's still $80 through them. Their standard modem is still the Actiontec MI424 that they've been shipping for years.

Actiontec MI424 rev F supports wireless N up to 65 mbps
Actiontec MI434 rev G (red-band) supports wireless N up to 160 mbps

Many Verizon installers are handing out rev Fs now (I got one last year), which should be plenty for the internet speeds in this deal.

yowhatup said:   I also noticed that it was only $5/month more to select month-to-month. Totally worth it to me to not be bound by a contract.

The problem with month to month is Verizon can up your bundle price. (In my monthly statement it's going up $6 next month, and no special deals for my area when I try the Op link) If you've got a good rate and will keep the service for 2 years, then you are best getting the price lock that a 2 year contract gets you.

poorfatkid said:   

4b. A Cable-card works in conjunction with ANOTHER device, into which it's plugged, and THAT device decodes the encrypted QAM channels so you can get your HDTV cable. What devices? Well, the most common ones are HD HomeRUn Prime, which has 3 built-in tuners, and the Ceton InfiniTV, which has 4 built-in tuners. I have the former.

Both the HDHomeRun and the Ceton InfiniTV are COMPUTER tuners, not tv tuners although I imagine you'd use it with Media Center Extenders such an Xbox? What are good cheap reliable media center extenders out there?

cjbell said:   yowhatup said:   I also noticed that it was only $5/month more to select month-to-month. Totally worth it to me to not be bound by a contract.

The problem with month to month is Verizon can up your bundle price. (In my monthly statement it's going up $6 next month, and no special deals for my area when I try the Op link) If you've got a good rate and will keep the service for 2 years, then you are best getting the price lock that a 2 year contract gets you.

So they not price lock for month-to-month? When I signed up about a year ago with no contract, it came with a price lock even though I wasn't on a contract. Is this no longer the case?

Hmm, I'm not getting this in my area. Here's what I see:

Verizon Double Play: FiOS TV Ultimate HD, Movie Completer Ultimate HD, HBO (bundle package)
FiOS QuantumSM Internet Speeds up to 75 Mbps/35 Mbps
$134.99

How is FiOS onDemand as compared to Comcast ? Have posted this before as well, but there is never a consensus.

It looks dead now for me.

Edit: It was dead in Firefox but went over to Chrome and was able to purchase the 2-year.

Order Summary for Your Selections
Product & Promotional Pricing
Pricing
& Promos
Month 1
$92.42

Pricing
& Promos
Months 2 - 3
$92.42

Pricing
& Promos
Months 4-24
$97.42

Selected Products & Promotions
View an estimate of your monthly bill
Verizon Double Play $90.00
FiOS TV Ultimate HD
FiOS QuantumSM Internet Speeds up to 75 Mbps/35 Mbps
$5 24-Month Contract Discount
$5 Bundle Credit for 24 Months

Two-year agreement plan
TV Services
Regional Sports Network Fee $2.42
TOTAL FOR SELECTED PRODUCTS
$92.42
The above Order Summary is NOT your Verizon Bill. Your monthly bill includes other items such as existing products on your account, partial monthly charges, taxes, fees and surcharges.
Prices shown are based upon current prices which are subject to change after any applicable promotional or guarantee periods.

Your Promotional savings for this period

Dead now.
I tried early and it worked.
Now, it is not showing up the savings, so the promotion is over.

Also, the $200 visa prepaid card is no longer available either, and it has been replaced with a $100 visa prepaid card.

Asking for a hard credit check- is that normal?

mcb247 said:   Asking for a hard credit check- is that normal?

That's normal.

Warning.. I got this yesterday for $80.... My service was upgraded by the time I woke up this morning.. The problem now is that I just checked my bill and it shows 124 per month as the amount.

I can sense that I am going to have a problem..

Now I'm paranoid..I'm a new customer, but I can't see my (expected) first bill anywhere... best I can see is
"New Customers Please allow approximately 30 days after your service begins for billing information to display online."

Hmmm.....

tajar96 said:   How is FiOS onDemand as compared to Comcast ? Have posted this before as well, but there is never a consensus.

That's going to be up to you. Personnaly I think Comcast has more current releases than FiOS. My brother feels that FiOS blows away Comcast with content that he likes.

Overall I like Comcast more, not by much, but I'm on FiOS mainly for price. Comcast just can't get my $$ down to what FiOS charges me. I locked my deal up with FiOS for 2 years.

TheDiggler said:   websquirrel said:   HiFideal said:   
I just switched a few months ago from my name to my wife's name to get the new customer prices. Now, I got to do it again !!!!

When you switched account owners, did you have to return your old equipment in your name and install new equipment registered to yours?
Am curious about this answer too, but am currently going down this path w/ the intent to return all existing equipment. Am not under a contract, and VZ is only offering the deal to "new customers." So let VZ spend the $$$ for a fresh truck roll.

I did the same a few months back, cancelled under my name and order under wife's name. Just got the $200 GC a few weeks back.

It was funny the guy came over and all my stuff was still installed. He had to call and cancel for me and have them process the order to cancel (I hadn't done it yet). We had to wait for like an hour or more for the cancellation to go through before he could install the new stuff.

He ended up taking my modem, so I had to call him to get it back as I had to return it.

I was also surprised that the new modem was N and gigabit. I disabled the wireless on it and am using a dd-wrt flashed router on the 2nd floor to provide wireless to the house. But the gigabit ethernet is pretty cool.

Too bad I didn't look at this deal to see if I can drop my rates a bit.

Did just look and saw chinese channels are free for the first 3 months, so that's pretty cool.

smahs said:   Warning.. I got this yesterday for $80.... My service was upgraded by the time I woke up this morning.. The problem now is that I just checked my bill and it shows 124 per month as the amount.

My TV service was upgraded this morning as well, but I don't see the new bill yet. I wonder what was other people's experience fighting the price increase - did Verizon honor the promotional rate? I printed all order confirmation pages as suggested...

P.S. Speedtest.net didn't show any Internet speed increase this morning, will check again after work.

Even though this deal is dead, it seems that Verizon has removed the 75/35 internet option today as a selectable option.

smahs said:   Warning.. I got this yesterday for $80.... My service was upgraded by the time I woke up this morning.. The problem now is that I just checked my bill and it shows 124 per month as the amount.

Update: When I look at my account now online, it now shows a monthly fee for "Double Play" for $124.99... this is a far cry from the $82.xx price that I was quoted and signed up for.
Good thing that I have a printed copy of what I agree to.

Anybody else have an issue? (You can find it under your account when you go to change it again...)

smahs said:   smahs said:   Warning.. I got this yesterday for $80.... My service was upgraded by the time I woke up this morning.. The problem now is that I just checked my bill and it shows 124 per month as the amount.

Update: When I look at my account now online, it now shows a monthly fee for "Double Play" for $124.99... this is a far cry from the $82.xx price that I was quoted and signed up for.
Good thing that I have a printed copy of what I agree to.

Anybody else have an issue? (You can find it under your account when you go to change it again...)

Yes! This is exactly what happened to me too! I called a Verizon rep today to discuss and she said this was not even possible because it's not a bundle they offer. Luckily I saved my itemized order and received it via email showing $80 for the Ultimate HD + 75/35 combo.

[UPDATE: 01/28/13]
I would suggest that you contact your local Verizon rep or the customer service email/number provided to you with your account. Please do NOT contact the original supervisor via email I had posted previously. He called to personally request I remove that information, only because his scope is the Dallas area, and he says he has received many messages asking for help across the country - information & actions to which he does not have access. I apologize to him and to you all for providing that contact information, but please honor the request and use the general support lines for communication with Verizon.

If anybody has further progress on the situation, please advise - and I will do the same. Thanks guys.

I've seen two or three people comment that their new bill shows a higher amount. How do you see this, I can only see my current bill information.

They just shipped out my "Install Kit".

I will keep a close eye on this as well.

I have all the printouts from the order so we will see.

EDIT: Noticed that confirmation e-mail does NOT list monthly payment information, it only says $5 discount and $5 discount, etc.

Stranger2 said:   They just shipped out my "Install Kit".

EDIT: Noticed that confirmation e-mail does NOT list monthly payment information, it only says $5 discount and $5 discount, etc.

Same as mine. I'm also keeping a close eye on this.

I had a phone call with Verizon CSR this morning. Sure thing, they said it shows them a full price ($139) for the bundle on my account. They also claim that they cannot see Internet promotions from their computer, this is another department, blah-blah-blah. After escalating to the supervisor I got a response that they marked my account for $95 bundle price. I will now wait to see what shows up on the bill.

Big thanks to those who suggested saving the screenshots and confirmation pages. Verizon CSRs pretend to act in complete denial about the deal until you tell them about your saved screenshots.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014