• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

1Sale.com
See 1Sale.com discounts that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Roku 2 XS 1080p HD Streaming Video Player
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Roku
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks OP, that is the same price that I could have goten it with the coupon from Best Buy if they would had accepted it.

In case it matters to anyone:
Condition: Factory Refurbished
Warranty: 90 Day

And for anyone not familiar with Rokus (I wasn't):
http://support.roku.com/entries/20293806-what-media-file-types-d...

The Roku USB Media Player channel enables you to play back personal video, music and photo files from a USB drive on your TV. The following media file formats are supported:
Video MKV (H.264), MP4 (H.264)
Music AAC, MP3
Photo JPG, PNG
Only supported file types are shown in the Roku USB Media Player channel. The app hides unsupported file types, as well as folders with no supported file types in them, from view.

So, if you have old home videos stored in AVI or MOV containers, you will need to re/transencode them to a supported container before playing them on a Roku box.

sold out

Hard to believe anyone is not familiar with Roku by now. Seems like 1sad has refurbs once a week. This week's refurb is a Roku 2 XS. The R2XS is my favorite Roku because it has a usb port which allows one to play media files off an attached usb disk. That said, local file playback is not a strength of the Roku. If you are looking for a set top box that does a nice job with local file playback and streams internet content, I like the SMP better and you can get one for $30 on eBay if you are patient. I have four SMPs, but am buying Rokus these days.

The Roku is an OK streamer. A lot of people expect these streaming boxes to replace their cable or satellite service. I suspect those people are primarily responsible for the river of refurbs. These boxes package internet content for display on your television at ten feet with a remote control. Some of them directly or indirectly play local media. That's not TV. Local news, sports, live events are lacking. Its strength is in its extensibility -- people can make channels for it. There are hundreds of channels. Some are amazing, some are not. A lot of people expect these streaming boxes to replace their cable or satellite service. I suspect those people are primarily responsible for the river of refurbs. These boxes package internet content for display on your television at ten feet with a remote control. Some of them directly or indirectly play local media. That's not TV. Local news, sports, live events are lacking.

I have five Rokus and you can't beat this price. If you like Netflix, Vudu, Prime, or Crackle, the Roku provides a nice interface for a tv. If you are a cable cutter, you can watch CNN, Fox, CNBC, MSNBC, and fun clips. If you are willing to run a separate server in your home, then you can get more content via Playon or Plex. Going forward, I expect Aereo, Skitter, and others will bring real, live television programming to the Roku.

Go ahead and buy one. You may be surprised what you get for $60.

sold out!

LOL. Until the next truck arrives. Check in next week.

Why do we need more than one Roku ?

aravindal said:   Why do we need more than one Roku ?
One Roku per television. It's a client not a server.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014