• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Did a quick search and didn't see a related post so here you go:

Harmon Kardon AVR 1700 500W 5.1 Channel 3D Receiver - Black

Good price for a quality 3D network receiver.

Member Summary

Harmon Kardon AVR 1700
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
The separate on/off buttons is actually a high-end feature. When you program custom remotes to integrate devices togeth... (more)

collinong (Jan. 29, 2013 @ 10:12p) |

Do you have a 4k TV? Do you plan on getting one? Did you go to CES and check them out? do you have the $$ for a 4k TV? W... (more)

jeffd (Jan. 29, 2013 @ 11:41p) |

Hi everyone. This may be a stupid question, but here goes: I set up my Avr 1700 with my br player and cable box, but I a... (more)

saamirahmed (Apr. 04, 2013 @ 7:50p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Good price on a well-rated receiver.

- 6 HDMI inputs (3D capable)
- 5.1 output (not 7.1)

This is usually available for ~$300, but has been down to $199 before (Best Buy.)

In for 1

My wife will love this for Valentine's Day. I'm positive.

cKGunslinger said:   Good price on a well-rated receiver.

- 5.1 output (not 7.1)

This is usually available for ~$300, but has been down to $199 before (Best Buy.)

All true. Unfortunately it has zero component inputs which kills it for me. If it had even one, I'd probably buy one.

This has been on sale for this price for the past four weeks, either at best buy or frys at this price. Harman Kardon really wants to get rid of these lately.

Bought one at BB, hate those guys, but it is great. Just LOVE it!!!

NxN2005 said:   cKGunslinger said:   Good price on a well-rated receiver.

- 5.1 output (not 7.1)

All true. Unfortunately it has zero component inputs which kills it for me. If it had even one, I'd probably buy one.

Great point and your post makes me realize I shouldn't be hasty to buy something so central not just to audio but is the lifeblood of an entire household. A simple detail like that can kill the buy. Is there any site out there that helps navigate what are the best AV receivers out there? Something like camcorderinfo.com but for home theater. Ideally they would just pick products at a few different quality levels. I used to be an audiophile more years ago than I care to admit (let's just say I miss my Marantz analog tuner receiver) but don't have time to think through every last detail and need to read from somebody who has already done that!

- 5.1 output (not 7.1)

No HDMI pass through either...might be an issue for some...Bought it one at Best Buy which MADE me upgrade my speakers LOL...went from an Onkyo HTIB speakers to an all Polk setup...

I bought one two weeks ago at BB for $199/-. Sound was OK, but sub kick is not good enough, it may be due to my sub. One more issue is remote controller is weired, it has two seperate buttons on and off. All my other remote have only one for both on/off. I keep pressing the on button for switching off the receiver, I am getting mad at myself when it was not responding. Even all the HDMI inputs are labelled as Game, Cable box etc. I don't have Game console or Cable box. I have Bluray, Raspberry Pi, Goodgle TV etc. I expected they should be labelled as HDMI1, 2, 3 etc.

spacejamz said:   cKGunslinger said:   Good price on a well-rated receiver.

- 5.1 output (not 7.1)

No HDMI pass through either...might be an issue for some...Bought it one at Best Buy which MADE me upgrade my speakers LOL...went from an Onkyo HTIB speakers to an all Polk setup...

Yes was just getting ready to post this fact and most likely that is the reason why these are being dumped. No passthrough will be a major deal killer for most, unless you want to use the receiver for audio 24/7.

- 5.1 output (not 7.1)

Presently $499.99 at BB:

BB Link

I'm pretty sure last week it was this exact same price at BB.

Bagofchips said:   NxN2005 said:   cKGunslinger said:   Good price on a well-rated receiver.

- 5.1 output (not 7.1)

Great point and your post makes me realize I shouldn't be hasty to buy something so central not just to audio but is the lifeblood of an entire household. A simple detail like that can kill the buy. Is there any site out there that helps navigate what are the best AV receivers out there? Something like camcorderinfo.com but for home theater. Ideally they would just pick products at a few different quality levels. I used to be an audiophile more years ago than I care to admit (let's just say I miss my Marantz analog tuner receiver) but don't have time to think through every last detail and need to read from somebody who has already done that!

CNET comparisons:

CNET

So, which one is better? this one or the Yamaha V373?

V373 has 4 HDMI inputs but supports 4k...

AVR 1700 has 6 HDMI and network

Big2mouth said:   Did a quick search and didn't see a related post so here you go:

Harmon Kardon AVR 1700 500W 5.1 Channel 3D Receiver - Black

Good price for a quality 3D network receiver.

Bagofchips said:   

well.. people have different needs etc..

but...

I find avsforum to be the definitive place for most of this info. The forums cover everything audio/video, the discussions are great.

You'll still need to do your own research but this is a great place to start.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/90/receivers-amps-and-processors

Also $199 through Amazon (though currently out of stock - you can still order, though).

Coop1979 said:   Also $199 through Amazon (though currently out of stock - you can still order, though).

That's through a "Featured Merchant" and is OOS; regular price at ama-zon at this moment is $277.86 + $14.xx shipping...through Amazon/ASUS of all people.

Link

Squonk said:   Coop1979 said:   Also $199 through Amazon (though currently out of stock - you can still order, though).

That's through a "Featured Merchant" and is OOS; regular price at ama-zon at this moment is $277.86 + $14.xx shipping...through Amazon/ASUS of all people.

Link

Check this page - it's through Amazon with FSSS or Prime.

Coop1979 said:   Squonk said:   Coop1979 said:   Also $199 through Amazon (though currently out of stock - you can still order, though).

Link

Check this page - it's through Amazon with FSSS or Prime.

Yeah, I see that.

So it is at Amazon for $199 as well. So given this price has been widely available at multiple places over the past several weeks, this really isn't that hot of a price.

I bought these to go with it. Can't wait
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1253375/

quickNdirty said:   So it is at Amazon for $199 as well. So given this price has been widely available at multiple places over the past several weeks, this really isn't that hot of a price.

Care to point out any other receivers with similar features at this price?

NxN2005 said:   cKGunslinger said:   Good price on a well-rated receiver.

- 5.1 output (not 7.1)

What good would just 1 component input do? I didn't think it was possible to do a component to HDMI conversion?

Bagofchips said:   My wife will love this for Valentine's Day. I'm positive.

I bought my wife a Series 2 Tivo several years ago. She stomped around mad for 2 weeks and wouldnt open the box.

Flash forward 5 years and the addiction is just now wearing off; She can be heard telling the kids "SHHHHH! I can't record this and can't hear what they said!!!"

Sadly, it sits in a corner, despite all my attempts to InstaCake it to a new HD.

Moral of the story? You'll pay dearly for a while, but she'll come around.

One question about DLNA feature on these receivers and bluray players. Most of these devices claim they are DLNA certified including this receiver. But it is not playing anything expect music through DLNA. I can browse through videos folder, but all I get is format not supported MSG (tried, AVI, MKV, MP4, WMV, MPEG2). Does anybody has any success playing videos using DLNA feature on these recievers/bluray player?

jiveturkey said:   NxN2005 said:   cKGunslinger said:   Good price on a well-rated receiver.

- 5.1 output (not 7.1)

What good would just 1 component input do? I didn't think it was possible to do a component to HDMI conversion?

Some devices (e.g. Nintendo Wii) will do component input but not HDMI.

Green for it, the best receiver I have seen.

Backordered on Amazon, since I had a ton of points burning a hole in my pocket. Replacing my 6 year old Onkyo 606 that only has HDMI issues with my Xbox.

Review on audioholics:

Link

quickNdirty said:   spacejamz said:   cKGunslinger said:   Good price on a well-rated receiver.

- 5.1 output (not 7.1)

Yes was just getting ready to post this fact and most likely that is the reason why these are being dumped. No passthrough will be a major deal killer for most, unless you want to use the receiver for audio 24/7.

What is HDMI pass through? Why it is so important ?

nottingham said:   quickNdirty said:   spacejamz said:   cKGunslinger said:   Good price on a well-rated receiver.

- 5.1 output (not 7.1)

Some people want video and audio to pass through the receiver when it is off. For instance, if you hook your cable/dish/directv box to the receiver, then the receiver to the TV, you must have the receiver on to see the video. Some people want to be able to have the A/V pass through when the receiver is off.

The 1700 is H/K's first sin with compromising the amplifier section to meet a price point. This is seen as a hot deal because in the past even the lowest H/K had a solid amplifier section with a relatively high price to match, a "real" H/K at $200 new would have been a good deal.

Now H/K has entered the game rolling out a low priced model with a mainstream (not true H/K) amplifier section. This is what happens when you start selling product through Best Buy and value chains.

This is a $200 AVR. Not a $500 AVR at a $200 price. Now, I think it is decent as a $200 AVR because $200 for a new AVR doesn't buy you much. I just think there are some similarly priced Yamaha/Denon/Onk models with real advantages.

I'd still go with a low end Denon/Onk with Audyssey, because EZ set blows. Any Audyssey version above 2EQ is the single biggest REAL sound quality improvement feature for the average home theater setup. It will make a bigger difference than the amplifier section I am complaining so much about in this H/K.

But the H/K's sure are pretty. They'll sell tons of these.

Boochi said:   One question about DLNA feature on these receivers and bluray players. Most of these devices claim they are DLNA certified including this receiver. But it is not playing anything expect music through DLNA. I can browse through videos folder, but all I get is format not supported MSG (tried, AVI, MKV, MP4, WMV, MPEG2). Does anybody has any success playing videos using DLNA feature on these recievers/bluray player?

I have the same issue .

nottingham said:   quickNdirty said:   spacejamz said:   cKGunslinger said:   Good price on a well-rated receiver.

- 5.1 output (not 7.1)

As already explained, without pass through, you must have the receiver on each and every time you want to watch TV, as otherwise you will not have any signal at all from your source to the TV itself.

quickNdirty said:   

As already explained, without pass through, you must have the receiver on each and every time you want to watch TV, as otherwise you will not have any signal at all from your source to the TV itself.

Just when will they get this through their heads, qnd? Thanks for explaining several times...

I'm looking for a good receiver that I can stream music files form my PC or play from a usb flash drive. Wireless Pandora would also be good

TX08050
Disclaimer
bwasb said:   I'm looking for a good receiver that I can stream music files form my PC or play from a usb flash drive. Wireless Pandora would also be good

Here's one:

Onkyo TX-8050 Network Stereo Receiver - 'zon

...though there must be newer models, this one is 2011, but for your needs it might suffice...is HDMI limited, i.e. no HDMI so be very aware of that...

Personally, I would need "pass-through" and I don't believe this unit has it. I would also need "Phono" capability since I have about 2,500 records. Any other ideas?

I bought this last weekend. One of the speakers(yes I have tried another speaker) does not work. Am fm radio does not work and I would of liked one component hook up for the wii. The sound is good but when you go from digitial to an local access channel its awful. Still tweaking maybe I am doing something wrong ?

Skipping 11 Messages...
Hi everyone. This may be a stupid question, but here goes: I set up my Avr 1700 with my br player and cable box, but I am getting no sound out of my sound bar that is plugged into the back of the tv via digital optical...will this set up not work?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014