• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
Sit tight, people with Windows 7. Your computers have been appreciating in value with every day passed.

meggacat said:   I am perfectly happy on XP.....is there something wrong with me???

No, sir/madam, XP is perfect. I may upgrade one of my Windows Vista PCs, though.

mike54721 said:   Windows 7 > Windows 8 > Mac
Atleast OS X updates actually bring features and don't cost you an arm and a leg.

I have Windows 8 one one machine and Windows 7 on three laptops. Once you install a free "start menu" (I use Pokki), then Windows 8 is better than Windows 7. Windows 8 is more stable than Windows 7. I wouldn't pay more than $50 to upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7, but for $30, it is easily "yes".

shunja said:   

No, sir/madam, XP is perfect. I may upgrade one of my Windows Vista PCs, though.

While Windows 8 doesn't do much for me, XP is FAR from perfect.

I have bought one copy of Win 8 and I was underwhelmed. I don't hate it but it really does nothing for me and gets in the way of my work and before you tell me oh you don't like change, in the dozen+ physical and virtual machines I run currently just in my study at home, I have various Linuxes (Scientific Linux--RHEL clone, Ubuntu, Debian. Mint) running Gnome 2, XFCE, KDE and Cinnamon desktop environments, Ubuntu Server with no GUI, a Mac with OS X as well as Win 7 and, yes, one XP box still that I am just too lazy to upgrade. Funny thing is that I purchased several new machines last year and so I put in for more Win 8 upgrades and never purchased them after the first one. Each week I get another almost pathetic reminder e-mail from MS asking me why I haven't upgraded. At this point it is not even worth the $15 upgrade to me.

I am not hating on Win 8 as I think it was a bold move by MS that in the end might be a big win for them though I do think the current execution is flawed and it is hard to tell whether the promises it makes will pan out (e.g., touch on desktops and laptops, unified environment across devices). It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Edit: I will add that, though it has its own flaws, I do prefer the Linux approach of separating the desktop environment from the underlying OS. It is nice to be able to chose your poison GUI-wise while still being able to run whatever the latest and greatest OS is.

duncan36 said:   cyfan said:   I'll jump into the fray on this. I upgraded to Win8 and like a lot of people, think the Metro UI is worthless on a PC/Laptop...frustrating even. But with the download of a free app called "Classic Start Menu", my PC runs just like Win7. I boot to the desktop, have my Start button, and forget that I even have that stupid Metro interface. So those of you that fear working in the new Win8 mode, you can easily avoid it.

What do I like about Win8 Pro? BitLocker is included which allows for whole disk encryption. I know BL existed in Win7 too but it was only for the "elite" versions. Win8 (re)boots much faster than Win7 did. It's been very stable - although Win7 was stable for me too.

I upgraded all of my machines (including the kids') to Win8. Why? Because now we're set for an OS for the next 3-5 years and eventually at work or school they will run into Metro so I wanted them to know how to use it. (I didn't give them the start button!)

Well great we can spend hours upgrading the new OS so it'll run like the old OS that runs fine and needs no upgrading. And we can pay for that privilege, sign me up for that! Not. If Microsoft had any sense they'd have refined/speeded up Windows 7 and added some new features and called it Windows Classic. Then made a tablet version with all the touch features laptop users dont want or need and called it something else. I learned at about age 2 that the square peg doesnt fit in the round hole, the morons at Microsoft apparently never learned this truth!

Um, it took me 2 minutes to download and install the Classic Start Menu. Actually, during the install Win8 surprisingly migrated all of my desktop icons and apps from Win7, so my desktop with the Start button looked like the old windows in under 2 minutes.

Seroiusly the rebate code is still not working.

"I'm sorry, that offer is not found. Please check the offer number and try again."

Those who do not like claiming rebates and fine with software download, then the best option is to buy software from Microsoft for $39.99. No hassles of claiming rebate etc., Additionally they provide over $70 in app offers, too!
Microsoft - 39.99 + tax - 4% CB(from fatwallet)
Newegg - 69.9 + tax ( for 69.99) - $40 - 2% CB (from fatwallet)

The difference is not really much.
PS - bought win8 pro from Newegg in December still waiting for the rebate!

There is no difference between this media center in 8 as opposed to that in Win7.
Basically win 8 sucks as it looks like a tablet design, not a pc.
Windows 8 is like the Vista was, crappy. Waiting for next version, maybe or going to Mac.
Big pass.

I'd have stuck with XP, too, if security weren't an issue.

lyubomirb said:   Seroiusly the rebate code is still not working.

"I'm sorry, that offer is not found. Please check the offer number and try again."

Seriously (spelled this way)...unless your counter theory is that Newegg is running some public scam to trick people into buying this under a false rebate....my suggestion makes the most logical sense. No reason to keep on bringing up the same subject over and over.

vsnrk said:   Microsoft - 39.99 + tax - 4% CB(from fatwallet)I don't believe you can purchase it directly through the Microsoft Store. You have to buy it through a special installer that Microsoft makes you download. Unless I'm missing something, that means no CB.

Had it for about a month on a new laptop... kept freezing randomly even though I just had a browser open. Tried every suggestion the internet had to offer and just went back to 7. What a waste.

buzzdalf said:   Cause its hip to hate windows 8.
I have windows 8 on the device I am typing from now and have no issues with it. Windows button = old start button. Start menu is now full screen. What's so hard about that people.

That said, I don't see any real reason to upgrade my old pc to windows 8.

Many of us don't like Windows 8 because we've used it extensively and found that it prevents us from getting our work done. For instance try opening a PDF file and then referring to that file while you work in another application. It can't be done without changing settings. The PDF opens in a Metro window and you can't look at the document and a non-metro app at the same time. Now try to find those settings you need to change. I have multiple monitors and the W8 Jekyll and Hyde interface is just plain stupid in my configuration. It really should be called Microsoft Window.

Try having 100+ programs installed on your PC. Now quick - find one of them that you don't use often. No can do in the Metro interface. Those 100+ programs each have a colored square button and you have to look through page after page of buttons to find the right one. Adding a start menu replacement app helps but it is not possible to fix all the other problems that come standard with all versions of Windows 8.

This video describes the long, long list of problems with W8 in great detail and with a bit of humor:

http://youtu.be/WTYet-qf1jo

The security enhancements over windows 7 alone make it worth the $14.99 upgrade.

rigor said:   The security enhancements over windows 7 alone make it worth the $14.99 upgrade.
I upgraded my Win7 to Win8 like two months ago. Hated Win8. Ended up returning to Win7 (clean install).

After sitting there and really thinking about it for a few months. I ended up re-installing Win8. It's fantastic. I wanted to get comfy for it in anticipation of the Surface Pro/Lenovo Helix...

Not sure why people are flipping out about it. It's really quite nice if you give it a chance. The speed and security are so much better than 7.

Impossible to believe, I know. But it's true. Happy camper here and waiting on the Surface Pro (or Helix, can't decide) to go up for sale.

nwrain said:   Many of us don't like Windows 8 because we've used it extensively and found that it prevents us from getting our work done.Yeah, the Metro stuff can sometimes get in the way at times when you're strictly trying to work in the desktop.

nwrain said:   For instance try opening a PDF file and then referring to that file while you work in another application. It can't be done without changing settings. The PDF opens in a Metro window and you can't look at the document and a non-metro app at the same time.Actually, it can be done. While in the desktop, bring your mouse to the upper left-hand corner. The Metro PDF app will appear as a small thumbnail. If you drag it out from the corner, it will actually allow you to place the PDF viewer in a window right next to the desktop so that both can be shown side by side. Does it show both of them well? Not really. But you're better off downloading something like Adobe Reader anyway.

(Alternatively, you can ALT-TAB between the PDF viewer and the desktop in a split second.)

nwrain said:   Try having 100+ programs installed on your PC. Now quick - find one of them that you don't use often.Just start typing the name of the program in the Metro start screen and Windows will instantly look up the app. It should appear at the top of the search results. Hit enter and it will open. Most of the time I can find and launch the app I'm looking for within a couple seconds using this method.

A lot of these shortcuts aren't necessarily intuitive...then again, when has Windows ever been intuitive? But hey, we can dream, can't we?

luckybob04 said:   nwrain said:   Many of us don't like Windows 8 because we've used it extensively and found that it prevents us from getting our work done.Yeah, the Metro stuff can sometimes get in the way at times when you're strictly trying to work in the desktop.

nwrain said:   For instance try opening a PDF file and then referring to that file while you work in another application. It can't be done without changing settings. The PDF opens in a Metro window and you can't look at the document and a non-metro app at the same time.Actually, it can be done. While in the desktop, bring your mouse to the upper left-hand corner. The Metro PDF app will appear as a small thumbnail. If you drag it out from the corner, it will actually allow you to place the PDF viewer in a window right next to the desktop so that both can be shown side by side. Does it show both of them well? Not really. But you're better off downloading something like Adobe Reader anyway.

(Alternatively, you can ALT-TAB between the PDF viewer and the desktop in a split second.)

Or you go to Adobe.com and install the free Adobe Reader and use that to open documents on your desktop.

Edit: RIF

At the risk of being tl;dr'd, I tried Win8 on a secondary machine during the RC stage. I didn't much care for it and stuck with Win7 on my main rig, but having kids, it made a lot of sense to buy upgrades for them because they're just starting their forays into what computers are. Whether or not those of us born during the Carter administration (or earlier) like it, computers are about the future, not the past.

The one OS Microsoft put out that I flatly refused to install was XP. I was running Win2K until Vista was released, for many (if not most) of the reasons people now list for "hating" Win8: they moved stuff around, it's different, &c., &c. The problem I had with XP was it was the first release of Windows to presume it knew better than you what you wanted to do with your own computer. I live in Explorer when I'm on my computer. The notion of photo folders being displayed a certain way because the OS ran an algorithm on it and found mostly photos was anathema to me. I want to know the file size and the date modified no matter where I'm at on my computer.

But, as aforementioned, technology moves forward, and complaining that this, that or the other is new and different and inherently reacting that different == bad is hardly indicative of an open mind. People thought I was nuts to be running 2K in 2006, and running XP now seems downright Luddite.

All that said, this is the last chance to get Win8 for, I'd guess, less than $120 as an upgrade. Microsoft has been very aggressive with pricing -- sure, to get developers writing Metro programs -- but that comes to an end Thursday. So, as I see it, have fun grousing now about how much Windows 8 sucks ... you'll end up using it later when your new hardware doesn't support prior versions of Windows, and you'll be paying $90 more for it. Me, I'd rather get a 128GB SSD for $90 than throwing it away. And I already have said SSD.

midiman said:   Unfortunately, ordering the DVD now means it may not be delivered by Jan 31, in which case we don't get the Media Center Pack. Optionally, can pay $10 to get that after Jan 31, but at that point you're paying $40, so why not just pay only $40 for the downloadable version now? Is there really any benefit to having the DVD?
Saving $10 AR and being able to upgrade from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS.

Newegg is offering free 2-day shipping on this product, and every one of my orders arrived in 2 days, so you probably will meet the Media Center Pack deadline, which has to be requested by Jan. 31 but installed by Feb. 1. Actually Microsoft may take as long to deliver the MCP download key by e-mail as Newegg does to deliver the disks to your mail box, so make your request now (1 per e-mail address): request link

hasu said:   asuka said:   My understanding is once Media Center us installed before 31st, the key will work. MS is doing this to make key hoarding worthless.

Media Center is still needed for ATSC or CableCARD... XBMC DVR is quite useless for now.

How about DVD Playback? I heard Windows 8 Media Center cannot play DVD. Is that right?
I really don't want to mess with my perfectly running Windows 7 Home Premium (Media Center) only to find that I will be missing existing features.

asuka said:   Media Center is still needed for ATSC or CableCARD... XBMC DVR is quite useless for now.
Are you sure ATSC (eg: Siconedust HomeRun) cannot be played on XBMC?

HDHR can be played on XBMC, but it doesn't work well. Media Center as a functional DVR stack reigns supreme.

meggacat said:   I am perfectly happy on XP.....is there something wrong with me???

Yes.

You are part of problem.

XP is over a decade old, it has 3 service packs to its credit, and, GODS BE PRAISED, Microsoft is ending support April 8, 2014.

Windows XP was great when it launched - based on the NT kernel it changed the way the windows OS was perceived. However, after a decade, and with more security patches than the titanic had rivets, it is long past time to put that old dog down.

I have April 8th marked on my calendar as a holiday. I have at current count, 18 junior to mid-level execs who refuse to upgrade their OS. Thankfully, once MS ends support, I too can smile and tell them its not my problem (having had this conversation with board).

Now if only I could so something about the Macs in the coloured pencil department my life would be complete!

Or you go to Adobe.com and install the free Adobe Reader and use that to open documents on your desktop.

Edit: RIF

Or just go and get Foxit Reader. Free and fast and not bloated. Just pay attention when installing and do no install the toolbar...

I am running Windows 8 on three machines here. Running great ! I do run Classic shell because I prefer to have a start menu. But I also run a lot of nice apps and this is another reason why I like 8 !

Jahx said:   meggacat said:   I am perfectly happy on XP.....is there something wrong with me???

Yes.

You are part of problem.

XP is over a decade old, it has 3 service packs to its credit, and, GODS BE PRAISED, Microsoft is ending support April 8, 2014.

Windows XP was great when it launched - based on the NT kernel it changed the way the windows OS was perceived. However, after a decade, and with more security patches than the titanic had rivets, it is long past time to put that old dog down.

I have April 8th marked on my calendar as a holiday. I have at current count, 18 junior to mid-level execs who refuse to upgrade their OS. Thankfully, once MS ends support, I too can smile and tell them its not my problem (having had this conversation with board).

Now if only I could so something about the Macs in the coloured pencil department my life would be complete!
First they came for the XP machines, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not an XP user.

Then they came for the Macs, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Mac user.

Then they came for that one guy who insisted on using Ubuntu on his workstation because it was "...so much better than Windows and doesn't get viruses," and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Linux user.

Then they came for my Chromebook-- and there was no one left to speak for me.

The biggest problem with XP: It works. As long as their applications run on it, it will continue to work. Security vulnerabilities are somewhat abstract to people until they're hacked.

rigor said:   The security enhancements over windows 7 alone make it worth the $14.99 upgrade.

Unless you're Bank of America I wouldn't lose sleep over having Windows 7.

i too got the email to install wmc by the 31st, or else. so i cloned my main drive and upgraded to win 8 and wmc on the clone. i a using it now. it does seam faster and i have had no major problems, i've messed with metro, but just find myself mainly using the old desktop, which was kept exactly the same as my win 7 set up, sans the start button. installed classic start 8 to get my start button back. for now i like it and will keep it.

No matter what anyone here says about Windows 8 users are rejecting it. Use has already fallen below Vista's at the same point in its life cycle and Vista first went on sale in late January, missing Black Friday and the holiday season. In addition Vista's initial price was much higher than W8. If MS can't turn things around quickly Windows 8 will make Vista look like a roaring success. Assuming Microsoft can put aside their legendary arrogance they'll quickly release an update or service pack that fixes many of the problems. More likely they'll do nothing we'll soon see a marketing campaign for Windows 9.

Computerworld article regarding user uptake:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9235059/Windows_8_s_uptak...

Rebate code 46025 now working at Newegg.rebateaccess.com

I am using Windows 8 Media Center on a 6 year old laptop and able to play dvd's from Redbox regularly. I have never used Media center with Windows 7 but Windows 8 Media center has more features then Windows xp Media center.

luckybob04 said:   Jahx said:   meggacat said:   I am perfectly happy on XP.....is there something wrong with me???

Yes.

You are part of problem.

First they came for the XP machines, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not an XP user.

Then they came for the Macs, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Mac user.

Then they came for that one guy who insisted on using Ubuntu on his workstation because it was "...so much better than Windows and doesn't get viruses," and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Linux user.

Then they came for my Chromebook-- and there was no one left to speak for me.

The biggest problem with XP: It works. As long as their applications run on it, it will continue to work. Security vulnerabilities are somewhat abstract to people until they're hacked.

The inherent issue being that they've the spending authority to six and in two cases, seven digits. With great spending authority should come great security.

mike54721 said:   Windows 7 > Windows 8 > Mac

I respectfully disagree; I think it's Mac > Windows 8 > Windows 7 > Everything else

Although to be honest I use both on a daily basis (Mountain Lion & Windows 8) and they are both superb. I'd like to move a few features from either to the other but overall they are both fantastic. I've had zero reliability issues with either and the overall user experiences are very good.

On the general sentiment re: Win8 that is just the usual...people HATE change. We are creatures of habit.

Insufficient detail

cpabster said:   mike54721 said:   Windows 7 > Windows 8 > Mac

I respectfully disagree; I think it's Mac > Windows 8 > Windows 7 > Everything else

Although to be honest I use both on a daily basis (Mountain Lion & Windows 8) and they are both superb. I'd like to move a few features from either to the other but overall they are both fantastic. I've had zero reliability issues with either and the overall user experiences are very good.

On the general sentiment re: Win8 that is just the usual...people HATE change. We are creatures of habit.

Don't fix things if they are not broken.

Jahx said:   meggacat said:   I am perfectly happy on XP.....is there something wrong with me???

Yes.

You are part of problem....

Nonsense.

Don't let anyone tell you that there is a problem with XP anywhere outside a corporate environment. I run both XP and Windows 7 on different computers and there is not one single feature I miss in Windows XP that Windows 7 provides. Even Windows 7's much hyped enhanced security features have been of limited use in preventing virus and malware infections for my friends, family and the non-profit I work with.

After Microsoft stops supporting XP it will become a problem because security patches will no longer be distributed, but until then ignore those trying to get you to upgrade until YOU find a reason to do so.

Well he's right, Microsoft has always had a legacy problem. And often that legacy code is where the security problems exist (though not always). Apple doesn't suffer from this as they obsolete you after 4-5 years. You either pay up or get left behind. It's also why Microsoft is moving to a subscription-based Windows system in the future (think Office 365) because 5 bucks a month looks better than $79 or whatever for a "boxed software" that no one actually goes in to buy. Things are changing for Redmond.

XP really is a dinosaur, I guess if you have old machines with limited resources I understand you wanting to keep it kicking but 7 and now 8 are vastly superior all the way around. Just my two cents.

XP is fine, my cousin still use XP coz it's way simpler and not complex. I'm using 7 and I'm happy with it

alicepattinson said:   

XP is fine, my cousin still use XP coz it's way simpler and not complex. I'm using 7 and I'm happy with it

So this useless debate is over what ? Unless someone posts they are being physically forced to buy Windows 8...who cares on whatever system a person uses.

The thread should be able the deal itself...not if you choose to run Windows 7, XP or OS/360.

What to do if I ordered today in regards to the FREE Media Center? I already have it for Win7, does that mean on Win8 Upgrade I lose it if I already have it? Do you know if there is any other way to get an extension on the 1/31 redemption period for the Free Media Center?

you XP users would be surprised that Microsoft support is really good these days. really really good.

I'm upgrading most of my machines to windows 8 for SMB3, integrated AV (MSE is called windows defender), office 365 integration heavily.

Really Windows RT would fit me nicely and most of my family with office 365, just on modern CPU.

My ancient Inspiron 530 $300 special with Q6600 and 6gb of ram, old GT240 video card i threw in when I got a 30" monitor.

Well I installed windows 8 and it took me a good hour or two after playing with it to realize that I had (such little faith) installed it to a 250gb hard drive rather than SSD. wow.

#1 - ClassicMenu from sourceforge - install it and the only choice you need to make is "bypass metro" or not. If you bypass metro, you have windows 7 startup.

ISO burning/mounting = win (no need for nero any more).

PDF handling = no more Adobe reader/acrobat.

Java (ban it!)

Flash - appears to be built in now with a developers whitelist. excellent.

Really surprised at how everything moved over. As good as my macbook air 2010 to macbook retina 15" migration.

Slick man.

I suppose I could return these inspiron 530's back to windows 7 (SLIC 2.1)

rigor said:   
#1 - ClassicMenu from sourceforge - install it and the only choice you need to make is "bypass metro" or not. If you bypass metro, you have windows 7 startup.

Trying to look this up. I found Classic Shell. Is this what you are referring to?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.