• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Windows 8 Pro Upgrade - $29.99 AR Shipped @ Newegg.com

Windows 8 Pro Upgrade - $29.99 AR Shipped @ Newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416562&...

Item Price: $69.99
$40 Mail-In Rebate
AR Price: $29.99
http://images10.newegg.com/uploadfilesfornewegg/rebate/SH/Newegg...
Free Shipping

Rebate is valid from 01/26/12 to 1/27/13.

Limit 1 rebate offer per household.

Remember people, after January 31st, Windows 8 Pro prices go up SIGNIFICANTLY (+$100).

If you haven't already purchased your license, do so now.

Also, make sure to sign-up for your free Media Center Pack, as that offer will also disappear at the end of the month and become an additional cost.

Happi op / TDMVP73

Newegg
Need a Newegg coupon that earns 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Windows 8 Pro Upgrade (6.14kB)
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Or you run it with vulnerabilities, online. This is no different than running Windows 7 and forgetting to do updates.

jnheinz (Jan. 28, 2013 @ 9:41p) |

I did not try purchasing from Microsoft store. I agree with you there may be no possibility of CB for this.

vsnrk (Feb. 02, 2013 @ 10:31a) |

$29 for an upgrade ?
Times must be hurting.

mistycoupon (Mar. 06, 2013 @ 9:15p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Great deal on a crap OS. I got a copy I'll sell. Went back to 7.

I would be paying $29 to downgrade 8 to 7.

I can't figure out why people don't like windows 8.

Cause its hip to hate windows 8.
I have windows 8 on the device I am typing from now and have no issues with it. Windows button = old start button. Start menu is now full screen. What's so hard about that people.

That said, I don't see any real reason to upgrade my old pc to windows 8.

According to Microsoft, you must ACTIVATE the free Media Center key by January 31, not merely request it. I don't know if there will be a grace period, or if this will even take place, but it was in an email I received from MS a few hours ago.

Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 8:

* Faster and more reliable. Well, a bit.
* Better DirectX gaming performance.

Reasons to Not Upgrade to Windows 8:

* No Start button/menu
* Jailed, walled garden on WinRT/Metro/Windows Store apps. Any app that uses new APIs in Windows 8/Metro requires approval from Microsoft. Microsoft has a your-business-is-dead-if-you-don't-play-ball-with-our-mafia killswitch now, congrats Redmond.

Personally, I only use it where needed for work. Microsoft promised to not jail users in a walled garden, and pulled an about-face the day the DoJ settlement expired. Shame on them, and here's to Android taking over the world.

(And yes, iOS has the same mafioso walled garden - bad behavior doesn't justify bad behavior).

Rebate Code (46025) specified on the rebate form does not work. Says " that offer is not found." Customer Service is open only Monday-Friday...

I'll jump into the fray on this. I upgraded to Win8 and like a lot of people, think the Metro UI is worthless on a PC/Laptop...frustrating even. But with the download of a free app called "Classic Start Menu", my PC runs just like Win7. I boot to the desktop, have my Start button, and forget that I even have that stupid Metro interface. So those of you that fear working in the new Win8 mode, you can easily avoid it.

What do I like about Win8 Pro? BitLocker is included which allows for whole disk encryption. I know BL existed in Win7 too but it was only for the "elite" versions. Win8 (re)boots much faster than Win7 did. It's been very stable - although Win7 was stable for me too.

I upgraded all of my machines (including the kids') to Win8. Why? Because now we're set for an OS for the next 3-5 years and eventually at work or school they will run into Metro so I wanted them to know how to use it. (I didn't give them the start button!)

cyfan said:   

I upgraded all of my machines (including the kids') to Win8. Why? Because now we're set for an OS for the next 3-5 years and eventually at work or school they will run into Metro so I wanted them to know how to use it. (I didn't give them the start button!)

Agreed. Most of the "liked" features of Windows 7 can be added to Windows 8...if one prefers. The benefits of having a more future-proof OS outweigh any hassles at the current price points ($14 or the current sale at $30).

I think...like with many things...some of the resistance comes from change. Guess this does happen when some get " a little farther along in the years"

forumsab said:   Rebate Code (46025) specified on the rebate form does not work. Says " that offer is not found." Customer Service is open only Monday-Friday...

I also am not able to get the rebate to come up using 46025. "I'm sorry, that offer is not found. Please check the offer number and try again."

elwhatawhiner said:   forumsab said:   Rebate Code (46025) specified on the rebate form does not work. Says " that offer is not found." Customer Service is open only Monday-Friday...

I also am not able to get the rebate to come up using 46025. "I'm sorry, that offer is not found. Please check the offer number and try again."

Just like with Tiger's rebate system...it could be just a new offer/weekend thing. Given it's from Newegg...I wouldn't start freaking out too much...thinking the offer is not valid.

I go to Newegg.rebateaccess.com and rebate code 46025 does not work!!!!!

asuka said:   According to Microsoft, you must ACTIVATE the free Media Center key by January 31, not merely request it.
I installed Windows Media Center with a free key from Microsoft. Does it mean that it has already been activated or do I have to do something else to activate it?

Unfortunately, ordering the DVD now means it may not be delivered by Jan 31, in which case we don't get the Media Center Pack. Optionally, can pay $10 to get that after Jan 31, but at that point you're paying $40, so why not just pay only $40 for the downloadable version now? Is there really any benefit to having the DVD?

buzzdalf said: Cause its hip to hate windows 8. I have windows 8 on the device I am typing from now and have no issues with it. Windows button = old start button. Start menu is now full screen. What's so hard about that people. That said, I don't see any real reason to upgrade my old pc to windows 8.
Nice, honest answer about Windows 8. Your description merely states the facts. Well done!

midiman said:   Unfortunately, ordering the DVD now means it may not be delivered by Jan 31, in which case we don't get the Media Center Pack.

Many of us have Shoprunner...so this shouldn't be an issue.

Ya know, for all people rave about Newegg's supposedly great customer service, this is not the first time I'd had problems with them disavowing rebates.

Kane: Hi, my name is Kane. How may I help you?
Larry C: Hi, I was looking at the windows 8 upgrade you are selling today that has a $40 rebate. (product N82E16832416562). The rebate says go to Newegg.rebateaccess.com and enter the promotion number 46025. However, this promotion number is coming up as invalid.
Kane: I'd be happy to help you with that, Larry. May I please have a moment to look into this for you?
Larry C: sure
Kane: Thank you for holding. We apologize for any inconvenience this may caused to you. Please kindly note that the rebates along with all applicable terms and conditions are from the manufacturers directly. Newegg just posts the information on the website for customers’ convenience. All rebates are issued through the manufacturers directly. In this case, I recommend you to contact the manufacturer Microsoft at 1-800-642-7676 for further assistance and they will help you with this.
Larry C: I respectfully disagree. This rebate is clearly from Newegg - the rebate form says Newegg, url is Newegg.rebateaccess.com, and the photo shown of the prepaid rebate card says "Newegg.com prepaid visa card" and it has the Newegg logo on it.
Larry C: clearly, this is a Newegg offered rebate, not a manufacturer rebate.
Kane: After checking, there are something wrong with the rebate and I will send a request to our related department to check. Once it is solved, you will be updated via email.
Larry C: great, thanks.

I really hate getting the boilerplate "we have nothing to do with rebates" response (which, btw, isn't entirely true -- if they are advertising the rebate, they should stand behind it. see http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/perfi/columnist/block/2005-03-21-rebate_x.htm And in this case, it's their rebate, not the manufacturer's!

Sadly, I'm in for one. Soon, someone in the family will start asking for Windows 8 and I don't want to pay full price.

asuka said:   According to Microsoft, you must ACTIVATE the free Media Center key by January 31, not merely request it. I don't know if there will be a grace period, or if this will even take place, but it was in an email I received from MS a few hours ago.

I bought three Windows 8 Pro licenses already since they were cheap (just like I am) and installed only one so far on my laptop. I also obtained the "free" media center licenses, and yesterday I received the same email saying that I must activate it before Jan 31. Now, will they tell me when should I eat and sleep as well? This kind of heavy handed approach will only pave way for their self destruction.

BTW, I recently bought a corsair PSU at half the price (AR) for my pc and they did not say when I should install it.

Edit: I forgot to mention: when I (rather if I ever) reinstall my Windows 7 media center with Windows 8 and if their free key does not work, I have already identified another fantastic alternate route which is called XBMC.

I just purchased a laptop for my brother and his wife, and couldn't help but laugh when I noticed that Win8 was included in the price but I had the option to have Win7 installed for an extra $100.

To combat the fear of change, there is one compelling reason I'd like to run it on a desktop: the supposed upgraded security model. That being said, Metro does make we wish my desktop had a touch display. But I don't want a touch display on my desktop - that's what my tablet is for. I don't want to have to think about getting a 24" screen protector, ya know? I guess ultimately I wish Win8 had a toggle between "Metro" and "Classic" mode, then there wouldn't be a need for third party software to make a standard non-touch desktop a lot more functional.

And yes, with "Super Eggsaver" shipping we have virtually no chance of it arriving before the 31st, so unless MS's activation servers allow for a few days grace period (which it probably won't) then no free Media Center love.

hasu said:   BTW, I recently bought a corsair PSU at half the price (AR) for my pc and they did not say when I should install it.If you had to connect to an activation server to install the PSU I'll bet they would tell you when to install it by.

My understanding is once Media Center us installed before 31st, the key will work. MS is doing this to make key hoarding worthless.

Media Center is still needed for ATSC or CableCARD... XBMC DVR is quite useless for now.

Unlike XP, neither VISTA 7 or 8 appear to be fully functional in High Contrast Black mode.

I tend to be a stay-at-home desktop user, but I finally bought a laptop to play my silly games when away.

Don't know if it is Win 8, Acer or something else, but to make Defense Grid play, the touchpad device under Win 8 settings had to be uninstalled. Once it is uninstalled, Defense Grid plays perfectly. However, Gratuitous Space Battles and other older simpler games no longer have a pointer and cannot be played.

It seems that as is, there is a conflict. Take away the conflict, and functionality is lost for older games.

I agree that by adding a third-party start button the OS is at least useable and basically the same as Windows 7. Yes, it adds bitlocker, but you use Truecrypt for free. Honestly, I don't see a single thing about windows 8 that's worth paying 2 cents to upgrade, much less $30. I had tried the Beta a while ago, and wasn't that impressed. I got in on the $15 about a month ago and did it basically to see if they added anything worthwhile after the beta - they didn't. Honestly, I wouldn't do an upgrade from if it were free at this point. If you haven't tried it, you aren't missing a thing.

drodge said:   I agree that by adding a third-party start button the OS is at least useable and basically the same as Windows 7. Yes, it adds bitlocker, but you use Truecrypt for free. Honestly, I don't see a single thing about windows 8 that's worth paying 2 cents to upgrade, much less $30. I had tried the Beta a while ago, and wasn't that impressed. I got in on the $15 about a month ago and did it basically to see if they added anything worthwhile after the beta - they didn't. Honestly, I wouldn't do an upgrade from if it were free at this point. If you haven't tried it, you aren't missing a thing.

TrueCrypt is far less reliable than BitLocker. You may be able to argue it's more secure, but BitLocker is respected by Windows and not treated like a derelict/damaged FAT volume. For reliability and encryption, it's worthwhile.

Like I said, I admit I use Windows 8 at work, where I have to use Windows apps in a secure environment (BitLocker + TPM + VHD). But, I still want as little to do with it as possible.

I'm in for one on this, just because it will make fleabaying a MacBook down the road easier "includes Windowses for more Windowy fun" - I can see the listings in my head already.

I sure wish Windows 7 upgrade prices would come down so I could update new machines that come with the obsolete Win8 preinstalled.

Got Win 8 upgrade ($14.95) that could be not installed x 3 (download nor disk) on a Acer AX1430 desktop. Microsoft support was entirely help with 7 hours plus remote computer support and got it finally installed. Then the media center was installed without problem. But after their second attempt, they had to do a complete clean install when the option to save files failed. Also it was a hassle for them to use a wireless connection.

hasu said:   asuka said:   According to Microsoft, you must ACTIVATE the free Media Center key by January 31, not merely request it. I don't know if there will be a grace period, or if this will even take place, but it was in an email I received from MS a few hours ago.

I bought three Windows 8 Pro licenses already since they were cheap (just like I am) and installed only one so far on my laptop. I also obtained the "free" media center licenses, and yesterday I received the same email saying that I must activate it before Jan 31. Now, will they tell me when should I eat and sleep as well? This kind of heavy handed approach will only pave way for their self destruction...
You certainly don't have to install Media Center before January 31, but if you wait, you will have to pay extra. So MS is doing you a favor by telling you the free install key you got from them will expire if you don't use it in the next week. I personally was really happy that MS sent the reminder email, even though I never bought a copy of Windows 8 and most likely won't.

Windows 7 > Windows 8 > Mac

If I had a Windows 7 machine, would I upgrade it to 8? Meh. But I built my own machine and needed a copy of Windows to run, and frankly, I like it. It boots quickly and (IMO) is much cleaner and more elegant than Windows 7. And the start screen is pretty usable now that the unused icons have been cleaned out (although that may change once I install more programs). I'm glad they were able to polish things, because I did not like the developer preview.

I'm not a Windows apologist by any means, but I at least wanted to share my experience for those considering the upgrade. I figured that'd be more helpful than, "Windows 8 is lamesauce."

I'm all for Windows (I hate Apple), but I had a new Dell that came preinstalled with Windows 8. It crapped out several times just trying to install Office 2010, and crapped out a couple of more times doing Windows updates. It never pays to be an early adopter of a new Windows OS. I held on to Win 98 SE, then Windows XP, now Windows 7. I also don't like the idea of being forced to upgrade some software/hardware because Windows 8 doesn't support it...

Has anyone read the licensing agreement on Windows 8? At least on the Dell, I recall it stating that you're allowed to downgrade to Windows 7 or Vista.

pokumon said:    It crapped out several times just trying to install Office 2010, and crapped out a couple of more times doing Windows updates.

Since "crapped out" doesn't explain much......how did you correlate this was directly related to the OS ?

lyubomirb said:   I go to http://newegg.rebateaccess.com and rebate code 46025 does not work!!!!!

same here!! what's going on!??

S182 said:   lyubomirb said:   I go to http://newegg.rebateaccess.com and rebate code 46025 does not work!!!!!

same here!! what's going on!??

You were explained what is probably "going on." Unless you know someone that works for this particular dept in Newegg...that's the best hypothesis you're going to get.

How many full time or part time Microsoft employees or associates or consultants might there now to promote Windows 8? Any guess?

I didn't think I needed to provide a memory dump for the problem. The problem was that the installation failed. Why don't you google Windows 8 Office 2010 install hangs. This was a Windows 8 problem because it doesn't happen in Windows 7.

respdoc said:   pokumon said:    It crapped out several times just trying to install Office 2010, and crapped out a couple of more times doing Windows updates.

Since "crapped out" doesn't explain much......how did you correlate this was directly related to the OS ?

asuka said:   My understanding is once Media Center us installed before 31st, the key will work. MS is doing this to make key hoarding worthless.

Media Center is still needed for ATSC or CableCARD... XBMC DVR is quite useless for now.

How about DVD Playback? I heard Windows 8 Media Center cannot play DVD. Is that right?
I really don't want to mess with my perfectly running Windows 7 Home Premium (Media Center) only to find that I will be missing existing features.

asuka said:   Media Center is still needed for ATSC or CableCARD... XBMC DVR is quite useless for now.
Are you sure ATSC (eg: Siconedust HomeRun) cannot be played on XBMC?

I am perfectly happy on XP.....is there something wrong with me???

cyfan said:   I'll jump into the fray on this. I upgraded to Win8 and like a lot of people, think the Metro UI is worthless on a PC/Laptop...frustrating even. But with the download of a free app called "Classic Start Menu", my PC runs just like Win7. I boot to the desktop, have my Start button, and forget that I even have that stupid Metro interface. So those of you that fear working in the new Win8 mode, you can easily avoid it.

What do I like about Win8 Pro? BitLocker is included which allows for whole disk encryption. I know BL existed in Win7 too but it was only for the "elite" versions. Win8 (re)boots much faster than Win7 did. It's been very stable - although Win7 was stable for me too.

Well great we can spend hours upgrading the new OS so it'll run like the old OS that runs fine and needs no upgrading. And we can pay for that privilege, sign me up for that! Not. If Microsoft had any sense they'd have refined/speeded up Windows 7 and added some new features and called it Windows Classic. Then made a tablet version with all the touch features laptop users dont want or need and called it something else. I learned at about age 2 that the square peg doesnt fit in the round hole, the morons at Microsoft apparently never learned this truth!

Skipping 53 Messages...
$29 for an upgrade ?
Times must be hurting.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014