• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

gateway computer netbook
Disclaimer
Your tax may vary. Also shipping to home was $5. Site to store would (should) alleviate this if you want to drive to wa/mart instead.

Upgrade from 1gb to 2gb for around $14 if you buy it online.

Tiny little computer, not going to be a WoW gaming uber machine, but will certainly get the job done if you need to surf the net and cant afford an ipad!

$178 computer HERE

Intel Atom N2600 processor
1.60GHz, 1MB L2 Cache
1GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
Allows you to do the computer basics of web surfing, emails and documents
320GB SATA hard drive
Store 213,000 photos, 91,000 songs or 168 hours of HD video and more
10/100 Fast Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a WiFi signal or hotspot with the 802.11b/g/n connection built into your PC
10.1" WSVGA LED-backlit display
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 with 64MB onboard memory supporting Microsoft DirectX 9

Member Summary

Gateway netbook 10.1"
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

How does this compare to some of the past netbook deals around $200, such as the Asus netbooks?

I remember this one was clearanced at my WalMart for $158 about six months ago. $178 isn't bad, but just knowing it was $20 less months ago would ruin it for me. But I guess that's the curse of FW.

anonguy said:   I remember this one was clearanced at my WalMart for $158 about six months ago. $178 isn't bad, but just knowing it was $20 less months ago would ruin it for me. But I guess that's the curse of FW.

That one from 6 mos ago had a 160gb HD.. so if it's any consolation, for the additional $20, you get twice the HD? haha

Tiemanator said:   anonguy said:   I remember this one was clearanced at my WalMart for $158 about six months ago. $178 isn't bad, but just knowing it was $20 less months ago would ruin it for me. But I guess that's the curse of FW.

That one from 6 mos ago had a 160gb HD.. so if it's any consolation, for the additional $20, you get twice the HD? haha

That one had a 320gb too! So still painful. Even more, a person on the other thread said they picked it up for $130!

Isn't this the regular price.

yesidonoitall said:   Isn't this the regular price.

Regular price at my wa/mart is $228, so this was $50 off for me.

In fact I checked the three wa/marts nearest to me and they all had it for $228. But none of them would pricematch their own website. Lame.

OK, it is a good price, a seller on eBay has 39 of them @ $249.99

RE:
But none of them would pricematch their own website. Lame

No they will not.

But more lame is now for what I buy and since Christmas no more free site to store, all has to be shipped to my home for $2.97 each.
I sell around 50 a month of them and it is costing me plenty.

Also at WW.com

$198.00

Acer Red 11.6" AO725-0687 Laptop PC with AMD Dual-Core C-70 Accelerated Processor and Windows 8 Operating System

Platform: PC
Primary Color: Red
Processor Brand: AMD
Processor Type: AMD Dual-Core C-70 Accelerated Processor
Processor Speed: 1.33 GHz
System Ram: 2 GB
Maximum Memory Expansion: 4GB RAM
Hard Drive Size: 320 GB
Laptop Screen Size: 11.6"
Screen Type: HD
Resolution: CineCrystal LED-backlit Display (1366 x 768)
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 6290 with 256MB
Card Reader Type: 5-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
Battery Life: 5 hours 42 minutes
Battery Type: Lithium Ion
Network Connection: 10/100 Fast Ethernet & 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Connector Type: 1 x DC-in, 1 x Ethernet, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Headphone, 1 x Microphone, 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.0, 1 x VGA
Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit
Accessories Included: Power Cord,Battery
Model No.: AO725-0687
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 5.75
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 11.22 x 7.95 x 0.925
WalMart No.: 550933763

Good value on a netbook, too bad tablets are crushing them from the top.

The problem with this deal, because I did compare it, is that it's out of stock online, and isn't in any store within two hours of me. Four hours in the car and the gas for the trip solidified my thinking. yesidonoitall said:   Also at WW.com

$198.00

Acer Red 11.6" AO725-0687 Laptop PC with AMD Dual-Core C-70 Accelerated Processor and Windows 8 Operating System

Platform: PC
Primary Color: Red
Processor Brand: AMD
Processor Type: AMD Dual-Core C-70 Accelerated Processor
Processor Speed: 1.33 GHz
System Ram: 2 GB
Maximum Memory Expansion: 4GB RAM
Hard Drive Size: 320 GB
Laptop Screen Size: 11.6"
Screen Type: HD
Resolution: CineCrystal LED-backlit Display (1366 x 768)
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 6290 with 256MB
Card Reader Type: 5-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
Battery Life: 5 hours 42 minutes
Battery Type: Lithium Ion
Network Connection: 10/100 Fast Ethernet & 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Connector Type: 1 x DC-in, 1 x Ethernet, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Headphone, 1 x Microphone, 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.0, 1 x VGA
Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit
Accessories Included: Power Cord,Battery
Model No.: AO725-0687
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 5.75
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 11.22 x 7.95 x 0.925
WalMart No.: 550933763

I just finished installing Windows 7 Pro and 4GB RAM. It took me about 2hrs to just install Win7 Pro, Driver Install and Windows Update. You can find 4010u Drivers at following link.
http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&mode...

I installed Crucial Memory 4GB 204-pin SODIMM 512Mx64 DDR3PC3-8500. I bought it on Amazon at $24.40. Here is the link.
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-8500-204-Pin-Notebook-CT51264B...

I ran NovaBench to see the performance change. I am not sure if this is the best bench to run it but here is the result.

Before RAM Upgrade (Win7Pro) 215 (RAM 1013MB Score 81)
After Win Upgrade 224 (RAM 3061MB Score 89)

I ran this bench several times during the upgrade and the score was always around 215 on Win Start and Win 7 Upgrade so don't expect performance increase by upgrading OS. The RAM score obviously impacted the most after RAM upgrade and total score was also impacted from this. Just for your info.

mslaurag said:   The problem with this deal, because I did compare it, is that it's out of stock online, and isn't in any store within two hours of me. Four hours in the car and the gas for the trip solidified my thinking.

I had no trouble finding 4 at one store and 2 more at another all within' 8 miles of my home.

So no "problem" with the deal at all.

I recently bought a LT4009u from CowBoom, for Ubuntu 12.10 installation. I ran into problems, but solved the problems with the process described by rbcrbc in this forum:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2080587
Also, after getting to a console in recovery mode, I had to remount the disk in rw mode before making the edits he describes.
I also had to rename the 05-modeset file to 05-modeset.conf, I believe (matching file extension to other files in the same directory).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014