• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Title says it all. Nice AK made with an unissued AK parts kit on a US made milled receiver. I've read mixed reviews, but nothing real negative so I went ahead and got this. Enjoy!

ATI AK-47 Link

Member Summary

ATI AK-47 with Milled Receiver
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Credit Card was refunded today

Oh well...

CAPTKEN28 (Feb. 04, 2013 @ 5:14p) |

Still no refund here. I see item is gone from their site.

yadayada (Feb. 04, 2013 @ 7:22p) |

Emailed their sales yesterday - no response yet. Nothing refunded. Still in the dark.

asabase (Feb. 08, 2013 @ 1:08p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › ATI
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Looks like a quality AK, but I will always favor an AR-15

What's a Milled Receiver??? I mean the picture shows a complete AK, but I"m guessing that's not what this is?

yourwishismine said:   What's a Milled Receiver??? I mean the picture shows a complete AK, but I"m guessing that's not what this is?

Ak receivers are usually stamped (to save money). The originals were milled. Milled takes more work and costs a lot more.

Pretty good price...in my area stamped AK's were going for 450-500 a few months ago and milled were 600-ish. I saw some stamped AK's for $1050 the other day and haven't seen a milled one anywhere.

That is a smoking hot deal considering the state of gun/ammo supply and demand right now.Wish I had the extra to spend right now. Green to OP.

Early MAK-47s of '93 vintage were stamped and depending upon who stamped them you could get a very good rifle
for about $300. I sold my last one two years ago to a police officer who took out to qualification range and
showed the guys what a good one could do. I have seen early milled receiver built up that were pitiful.

This unit for sale today I am unfamiliar with. I see someone remarked there were pros and cons. Would want
to see and work the action on one before buying it in that case.

Seems people are overlooking the Ruger Mini-14s with machined receivers. I have one from 90 era that has been
modified with a Choate side folding stock and shoots extremely well. The barrels are shorter of course than
on a genuine Colt AR-15 but there are gun shops that will add extended length with improved twists to the Rugers,
but am satisfied with original short barrel for what it is.

I saw a polyfiber receiver a fellow bought and paid a rather high price for at a local gunshow and I hated to
tell him he was starting down a long road of misery and expense to get it made right.....if it could even be
made worth while. Polys are OK on certain brands of pistols that I have but they were got gun show specials.

Caveat Emptor is the rule in the insane market today.

AVAILABLE AS MILLED OR STAMPED RECEIVER

Listing says this, how do you know what you will receive?

usadaytrader said:   yourwishismine said:   What's a Milled Receiver??? I mean the picture shows a complete AK, but I"m guessing that's not what this is?

Ak receivers are usually stamped (to save money). The originals were milled. Milled takes more work and costs a lot more.

Actually the original AK47 design was based on a stamped sheet metal receiver, the generals in the Red Army insisted that it needed to be a milled receiver. The milled receivers are heavier and to a very small degree improve accuracy of the weapon, as the receiver flexes less. In Russia the milled receiver AK47 was only produced for ten years, being replaced by the improved AKM, which returned to a stamped receiver and introduced a few minor improvements to the design.

My own personal preference is for the milled model, but that come from a lifetime of using beautifully machined and blued precision rifles. Many believe the milled receiver AK to be more durable, but that is debatable at best, as there are plenty of stamped guns that have been use in military units for decades, and will likely outlast the current users and several generations of users yet born.

As for the accuracy advantage on the milled guns, it is minute, the receiver flex on an AKM isn't the reason they aren't more accurate, if that was the case the milled guns would be demonstrably more accurate, and they aren't. The reason for the diminished accuracy in AK patter rifles is the barrels, the barrels are much thinner than most modern western rifles, and that causes them to flex a lot during firing. The M16 and M16A1 had similar issues, when the M16A2 was released the major improvement in accuracy was generally attributed to the improved sites the design incorporated, but the real reason for the improved accuracy was the much thicker barrel used on A2 and newer model M16 rifles.

If you're in the market for one of these, this is the lowest price I've seen since the insanity kicked back in recently.

I've been watching gun show prices and online. This is a good price today.

can i get it ship to NY?

Ordered today, waiting on the invoice. I received an invoice page with number after I submitted but not a standard email invoice. Magazines crossed!!

Sept1967 said:   AVAILABLE AS MILLED OR STAMPED RECEIVER

Listing says this, how do you know what you will receive?

Because they also have a stamped version. If you read the description it says "MLLD REC" for milled receiver. The stamped receiver versions are out of stock. I know it is milled because I read everything before commenting. Thanks.

oncelost said:   Ordered today, waiting on the invoice. I received an invoice page with number after I submitted but not a standard email invoice. Magazines crossed!!

Same here. I guess time will tell...

Ordered one also. Let's see what happens.

Although it would appear to be a good price, I would never consider buying an AK w/o having a chrome-lined barrel. Since the barrel import ban in 2005, there are very few chrome-lined barrels being used in new-build AKs. This does not mention one way or another; I would assume a new US made barrel which most likely is not chrome lined.

UPdownLoAD said:   Although it would appear to be a good price, I would never consider buying an AK w/o having a chrome-lined barrel. Since the barrel import ban in 2005, there are very few chrome-lined barrels being used in new-build AKs. This does not mention one way or another; I would assume a new US made barrel which most likely is not chrome lined.

Why "would never consider buying an AK w/o having a chrome-lined barrel"? Chrome lined barrels are made for military use since they shoot corrosive ammo and some service rifles (like in basic training) must endure tens of thousands of rounds without mayor wear. Now, with that said, why do you need a chrome lined barrel? Please enlighten me.

Richardito said: I've read mixed reviews, but nothing real negative so I went ahead and got this. Enjoy!

I can't find any reviews on this, where are you looking? I see other sites that sell it, but none have reviews (just like this one).

Richardito said:   UPdownLoAD said:   Although it would appear to be a good price, I would never consider buying an AK w/o having a chrome-lined barrel. Since the barrel import ban in 2005, there are very few chrome-lined barrels being used in new-build AKs. This does not mention one way or another; I would assume a new US made barrel which most likely is not chrome lined.

Why "would never consider buying an AK w/o having a chrome-lined barrel"? Chrome lined barrels are made for military use since they shoot corrosive ammo and some service rifles (like in basic training) must endure tens of thousands of rounds without mayor wear. Now, with that said, why do you need a chrome lined barrel? Please enlighten me.

Same thing as thinking a quality of an ar-15 lower is dependent on a forward assist. All hype, not much realistic common sense.

tinman951 said:   Richardito said: I've read mixed reviews, but nothing real negative so I went ahead and got this. Enjoy!

I can't find any reviews on this, where are you looking? I see other sites that sell it, but none have reviews (just like this one).

Just "reviews"/opinions on forums.

Purchase posted to CC account...still waiting on the email though!

Does anyone know if this comes assembled or in a parts kit?

edit : These all sold out now.

Shows as out of stock now.

Anybody got any emails about their order? Placed order last night and still nothing

BruiserCruiser said:   Does anyone know if this comes assembled or in a parts kit?

edit : These all sold out now.

This is a finished rifle. NOT a parts kit.

Still havent received any emails..anyone have any luck?

Purchase posted but still waiting on email also.

I have note received an email confirmation either. All of these companies are swamped with orders right now and a 2 week delay in processing, etc. is the norm. Let's wait and see. Good luck to everyone.

Got this today:

"I regret to inform you that we are currently out of ATI AT-47s. We had a problem with our website that allows firearms to be ordered that are not in stock. We will be refunding you the amount of your purchase. Very sorry for the inconvenience."

Ugh.

Cashman said:   Got this today:

"I regret to inform you that we are currently out of ATI AT-47s. We had a problem with our website that allows firearms to be ordered that are not in stock. We will be refunding you the amount of your purchase. Very sorry for the inconvenience."

Ugh.

I ordered, but didn't feel good about the chances since my account didn't show it in order history.

I didnt get an email yet..but since i ordered 6 hours after cashman...

Ahhhhh

CAPTKEN28 said:   I didnt get an email yet..but since i ordered 6 hours after cashman...

Ahhhhh

I ordered around 4PM and no email yet.

CAPTKEN28 said:   Purchase posted to CC account...still waiting on the email though!

Ever get an email? I did not get so much as a confirmation yet but CC charge posted immediately.

Richardito said:   UPdownLoAD said:   Although it would appear to be a good price, I would never consider buying an AK w/o having a chrome-lined barrel. Since the barrel import ban in 2005, there are very few chrome-lined barrels being used in new-build AKs. This does not mention one way or another; I would assume a new US made barrel which most likely is not chrome lined.

Up until recently, there was good availability of surplus corrosive military ammo, but the ammo is NOT marked as corrosive. Another example: Wolf ammo, though says non-corrosive, is "mildly corrosive" depending on which batch of ammo it is (do a internet search for corrosive Wolf ammo). You can't always believe that your ammo is non-corrosive.

For the exact reason you stated above is why you need a chrome-lined barrel: "Chrome lined barrels are made for military use since they shoot corrosive ammo and some service rifles (like in basic training) must endure tens of thousands of rounds without mayor wear."

If I'm going to own an AK, it NEEDS to last thousands of rounds, just as if you purchased a new car you want it to last thousands of miles. It IS an investment.

So is a non chrome-lined barrel OK? It could be, but it is very important that you clean IMMEDIATELY after shooting (you should anyway) or it could pit/rust/ruin the barrel very quickly. A non chrome-lined barrel will also wear down the grooves inside and affect accuracy after a lot of rounds but no where near what a chrome-lined barrel will take.

CC charge posted...still nothing..

theres nothing on their webpage either..

not.going.to.call.though.

yet.

CC charged. No confirmation, no order history when I log in to their website. Finally decided to call this morning. Customer service - was on hold for 5 min. Tried sales - phone rings and goes to voicemail.

Good luck guys. Hopefully some of you will get it. Wish I did.

Still no update..I'll wait another week before I call.

Skipping 3 Messages...
Emailed their sales yesterday - no response yet. Nothing refunded. Still in the dark.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014