• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This was previously FREE - so many may have this already

Making Sense Of People: Decoding The Mysteries Of Personality (FT Press Science) [Kindle Edition]

Samuel Barondes (Author)

Publication Date: June 21, 2011

51 Reviews - and ★★★★.5
75 Likes

Every day, we evaluate the people around us: It's one of the most important things we ever do. Making Sense of People provides the scientific frameworks and tools we need to improve our intuition, and assess people more consciously, systematically, and effectively.
Leading neuroscientist Samuel H. Barondes explains the research behind each standard personality category: extraversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism, and openness. He shows readers how to use these traits and assessments to do a better job of deciding who they'll enjoy spending time with, whom to trust, and whom to keep at a distance. Barondes explains:
• What neuroscience and psychological research can tell us about how personality types develop and cohere.
• The intertwined roles of genes, nurture, and education in personality development.
• How to recognize troublesome personality patterns such as narcissism, sociopathy, and paranoia.
• How much a child's behavior predicts their adult personality, and how personality stabilizes in young adulthood.
• How to assess integrity, fairness, wisdom, and other traits related to morality.
• What genetic testing may (or may not) teach us about personality in the future.
• General strategies for getting along with people, with specific tactics for special circumstances.

Kirkus Reviews
A succinct look at personality psychology.
As a psychiatrist and neuroscientist at the University of California, Barondes (Molecules and Mental Illness, 2007, etc.) has spent years studying human behavior, and this book reflects his systematic, scientific approach for personality assessment. The average person isn't likely to have time to research a difficult boss or potential love interest, but the author supplements intuition with a useful cornerstone for gauging human behavior: a table of the "Big Five" personality traits, among them Extraversion vs. Introversion and Agreeableness vs. Antagonism. To learn how to apply the Big Five, Barondes supplies a link for a professional online personality test, in addition to a basic introduction of troubling personality patterns–e.g., narcissism and compulsiveness. While genetics may play a heavy hand in influencing personality, Barondes writes, it's awareness of a person's background, character and life story that is paramount in unearthing reasons for adult behavior. Readers might like to see the author weave more everyday examples into the text–his exercise in fostering compassion by imagining an adult as a 10-year-old child is a gem–but there is plenty here to ponder.
Those looking for traditional "self-help" advice won't find it here, but this book clearly lays the groundwork for deeper human interaction and better life relationships.

Posted under Hot Deals due to the normal price

Member Summary

Making Sense Of People
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
51 Reviews - and ★★★★.5
75 Likes
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

In for one. Free is a good deal and I can read it in small chunks.

archena said:   This was previously FREE - so many may have this already Quite true. Just last month on Christmas Eve. Thanks.

Looks like this was free around the same time last year.

It was FREE yes on 12/24 like I noted above, just in case anyone missed the price is usually high

archena said:   It was FREE yes on 12/24 like I noted above, just in case anyone missed the price is usually high

Thanks for posting the deal Archena.

I couldn't order it today. Here is the error message I got from Amazon:

Instant Order UpdateOur records show that you already purchased Making Sense of People: Decoding the Mysteries of Personality (FT Press Science) on January 31, 2012

talk about patterns repeating... almost a year later and I'm re ordering the same free ebook

stoploss said:   archena said:   It was FREE yes on 12/24 like I noted above, just in case anyone missed the price is usually high

Instant Order UpdateOur records show that you already purchased Making Sense of People: Decoding the Mysteries of Personality (FT Press Science) on January 31, 2012

talk about patterns repeating... almost a year later and I'm re ordering the same free ebook

if you already ordered this then they will show you how to access this. Many ebooks I have on my iPad and lately I have only been getting them on my Kindle Cloud Reader which I can do in any computer browser.

Funny I already own it. I should've known that about me...

got it, thanks OP.
Has anyone actually READ the book?

In for 1. I always get these free kindle books. Can never have too many.

In for one. This is one of those rare free Kindle books that looks like it might be pretty good. Thanks OP!

gooddealie said:   In for one. This is one of those rare free Kindle books that looks like it might be pretty good. Thanks OP!
I second this one...

thanks for this post! Book looks pretty good!

orangespot said:   got it, thanks OP.
Has anyone actually READ the book?

I just did.

stoploss said:   archena said:   It was FREE yes on 12/24 like I noted above, just in case anyone missed the price is usually high

OMG! same here! we just order but don't read. (or else we should notice)

I didn't snag it before so thanks for the post. Looks like a good read! Wonder when I'm gonna max out my kindle storage? LOL!

Thanks OP!!

Will this help me understand my wife better?! LOL

Thx OP

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.