Dont forget Cash Back at 2%.

EDIT: THIS IS NOT TRUE 120HZ.

NOT 120HZ

Member Summary

47LM4600
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
You can get 3d on any tv with 120hz, but requires 3D kits that are expensive and don't work vary well. Mine as well get ... (more)

Raindr0ps (Feb. 11, 2013 @ 2:07p) |

Can't get $549 though. It shown $599 for me.

nodochauninja (Feb. 12, 2013 @ 9:12a) |

Welcome to the Expired Deals section of Fatwallet

breaux124 (Feb. 12, 2013 @ 9:52a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Be aware the 4600 sets are NOT 120Hz even though they clearly advertise it. There is still hope that it will be addressed with a firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath. I just bought the 55" version during last week's $600 A/Rewards sale at Sears (still only $650 this week), and I love the set overall.

Good to know. Thanks. I bought one and love it so far. Didnt even realize though that it was at 60hz.

DoctorDeals said:   Be aware the 4600 sets are NOT 120Hz even though they clearly advertise it. There is still hope that it will be addressed with a firmware update

Discussion of this at HardOCP forums.

Got this last month from Fry's for the same price. It's a very good tv, the problems it has are minor especially at this price point.
This TV has a media player built in and supports DLNA via a wired connection. I'm very happy with this TV.

These advertised refresh rates, unless explicitly stated, ALWAYS refer to the panel.

HDMI uses a completely different transfer method and people are trying to force HDMI into their old "analog" way of thinking about video. VGA had refresh rates. HDMI has a transfer rate (among other things) which indicates the speed of the transfer.

Remember: think of HDMI as USB and not VGA.

The part that really confuses people is the Hertz rating. Hertz literally means "per second". This is a very generic way of measuring periodic values over time. In VGA the Hz rating referred to how many times the picture was being updated "per second". In HDMI it refers to how many bits "per second" can be pushed across the cable. Bits <> Refresh. You cannot compare apples to oranges. You know those big plastic discs rated at 33 1/2 RPM? That's about .55 Hz.

EDIT: Let me add to the confusion. 1080p60 is a 1920x1080 video at 60 fps...or 60 Hz. And that's the maximum you'll get out of HDMI 1.3. Anything greater than that is not in the spec and won't be supported by all manufacturers.

According to that thread, it appears that many other brands are only 60Hz input capable. The reviews seem good, and price as well.

misch said:   DoctorDeals said:   Be aware the 4600 sets are NOT 120Hz even though they clearly advertise it. There is still hope that it will be addressed with a firmware update

Have to say I love this TV as well.. Very happy with it overall.. To a non-professional viewer like myself, the picture is excellent, and we love the 3D as well. Old TV was 42LD450 which was also excellent, and still going strong..

misch said:   DoctorDeals said:   Be aware the 4600 sets are NOT 120Hz even though they clearly advertise it. There is still hope that it will be addressed with a firmware update

That is quibble. Here are some real discussions:

http://hdguru.com/lg-55lm6700-hdtv-review-when-120-hz-isnt-120-h...

and

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408659/lg-trumotion-missing-specific-...

Here is the firmware update, if neeeded

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-55LM4600#

Okay now this is interesting...

Many moons ago I bought the BestBuy PS3/Sony 46" (KDL-46W5100) TV deal, expecting to be support 3D since it was 120hz.
It's a wonderful set but I was extremely saddened to learn that it had no 120hz inputs thus could not support 3D.
I would argue that films running at 24fps only need 48fps to display 3D thus 60fps should be MORE than sufficient - but that's another topic.
The set was never advertised as being able to support 3D so I made a costly mistake.

So here's the question...

This LG set has no 120hz inputs but is CLEARLY advertised as supporting 3D.
If an 120hz input is required on the Sony, how is it possible that the LG can do 3D with only a 60hz?
I understand that LG uses polarization on their sets versus shutter technology but I don't see how that matters.
In the case of either technology, the full L/R images must be displayed it's only a difference of visual delivery of those separate images.

So I think this basically confirms my argument above.
Shutter-based 3D could be done on 60hz inputs but the 'powers that be' wanted to force more upgrades.

nidude said:   Okay now this is interesting...

Many moons ago I bought the BestBuy PS3/Sony 46" (KDL-46W5100) TV deal, expecting to be support 3D since it was 120hz.
It's a wonderful set but I was extremely saddened to learn that it had no 120hz inputs thus could not support 3D.
I would argue that films running at 24fps only need 48fps to display 3D thus 60fps should be MORE than sufficient - but that's another topic.
The set was never advertised as being able to support 3D so I made a costly mistake.

So here's the question...

This LG set has no 120hz inputs but is CLEARLY advertised as supporting 3D.
If an 120hz input is required on the Sony, how is it possible that the LG can do 3D with only a 60hz?
I understand that LG uses polarization on their sets versus shutter technology but I don't see how that matters.
In the case of either technology, the full L/R images must be displayed it's only a difference of visual delivery of those separate images.

So I think this basically confirms my argument above.
Shutter-based 3D could be done on 60hz inputs but the 'powers that be' wanted to force more upgrades.

120hz doesn't mean it will do 3D that is just a refresh rating. 120hz is NOT required for Sony to do 3D, my PS3 works fine with my LG. Passive 3D splits the resolution 540 lines per eye and the polarization lets your eye see just the content it should and the same for the other eye to get a dimensional effect.

Yeah you're right. I've been reading about it more. HDMI 1.3 and 60Hz inputs are fine.
I just can't figure out why my Sony TV with 4 HDMI 1.3 connectors won't do 3D via PS3.
Grrr.

nidude said:   Yeah you're right. I've been reading about it more. HDMI 1.3 and 60Hz inputs are fine.
I just can't figure out why my Sony TV with 4 HDMI 1.3 connectors won't do 3D via PS3.
Grrr.

It's just because your TV lacks the circuitry to achieve 3D. Also no TV that I am aware of actually accepts a 120hz (or higher)signal, it is done in the panel from a 60hz signal. I assume that may change with the new 4k super HD sets but I'm not sure.

No consumer TV supports higher than 60Hz as the input signal. Most of the TVs support 23.976 (24p), 25/50 (Some TVs do), 29.97/60 (30p) as the input. The advertised refresh rate is the rate that panel refreshes. What TV does is that it takes the input signal (60hz) and repeats the frames until 120Hz or whatever TV refreshing at. Also some TVs interpolate the middle frame between frames instead of repeating it. That makes the movies so smooth (Soap opera effect). These techniques are called Motionflow, Trumotion or whatever depending on the brand.

Regarding 3D: You do not need a real 120Hz panel for 3D. 60Hz is perfectly enough. You need 24+24 = 48 or 30+30 = 60Hz, thats all.

In the market at the moment advertised panel refresh rate is not the actual refresh rate:

120Hz panelS have 60Hz real refresh plus backlight scanning which gives you 120Hz. (So even most 120Hz panels runs at 60Hz truly)
240Hz panels have 120Hz (true) + backlight scanning.

backlight scanning reduces blur
high refresh rates reduces judder (with interpolation)

If you are using a panel higher than 60Hz you need to utilize whatever motion technology (trumotion or whatever) to utilize it. Otherwise it will run at 60Hz. I know most of the TVs have 120Hz panels. But lacking of that motion technology will run those panels only at 60Hz.

Sorry abt my bad English

Do you have a HDMI cable capable of transferring the 3D signal to the TV? and do you have the PS3 set for 3D output?

So torn. I just bought the LG 47G2 the other day for 697 or something like that. All I was interested in was a budget 47'' Passive 3D tv. And this one is about 150 bucks cheaper. I mean I guess the the Google TV is a plus, but is it worth the 150? Any recommendations?

leejhzt3 said:   Is that LED better than LCD? What are the advantages?

Pros over LCD
1. Light weight
2. Thin bezel
3. Low power consumption
4. Much quicker time for peak bright intensity
5. Less heat
6. Better blacks if local dimming is presented
7. Better whites

Cons:
1. Could be expensive than LCD version
2. Flashlight issues (edge leds)
3. More banding issues (especially with edge leds)
4. More uniformity issues (with non full array models)

Do you have a HDMI cable capable of transferring the 3D signal to the TV? and do you have the PS3 set for 3D output?

I have a Belkin HDMI 1.3 cable. There is no option to set the PS3 to 3D mode and Yes the PS3 is running the latest OS software and patch.
I just did a video reset on the PS3 detects and works at 1080p but no 3D option. Grrr.

nidude said:   Do you have a HDMI cable capable of transferring the 3D signal to the TV? and do you have the PS3 set for 3D output?

I have a Belkin HDMI 1.3 cable. There is no option to set the PS3 to 3D mode and Yes the PS3 is running the latest OS software and patch.
I just did a video reset on the PS3 detects and works at 1080p but no 3D option. Grrr.

I don't see it come on by default just when content calls it. Stardust HD and Wipeout XL ask on startup if you want 3D then you can enable it, I think you can see it from the demos as well.

nidude said:   Do you have a HDMI cable capable of transferring the 3D signal to the TV? and do you have the PS3 set for 3D output?

You need a 3D TV. 120Hz does not mean 3D
Your TV is not a 3D TV, according to Sony at least : KDL-46W5100

You can get 3d on any tv with 120hz, but requires 3D kits that are expensive and don't work vary well. Mine as well get a tv made for 3d. Still won't for for ps3 though.

Can't get $549 though. It shown $599 for me.

nodochauninja said:   Can't get $549 though. It shown $599 for me.

Welcome to the Expired Deals section of Fatwallet

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014