• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD
Disclaimer
Samsung (MZ-7TD120BW) 840 Series 120GB 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive $89.99 w/ Free Shipping at Adorama

• 120GB Capacity
  • SATA III Interface
  • 2.5" Form Factor
  • 7mm Height (fits in laptops)
  • 530 MB/s Sustained Sequential Read
  • 130 MB/s Sustained Sequential Write
  • Up to 86,000 IOPS 4KB Random Read
  • 3-Year Limited Warranty

Normally $99 or more, now $89.99 with free shipping.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

actually i tried this one but wasn't as fast it it advertises. when you have lots of applications open, it backlogs and the computer hangs for long time. the Intel SSD 520 is REALLY WORTH the price

MichaelPro said:   actually i tried this one but wasn't as fast it it advertises. when you have lots of applications open, it backlogs and the computer hangs for long time. the Intel SSD 520 is REALLY WORTH the price

It sounds like there is something else going on here that would cause your computer to lag (RAM, caching, page file, etc..), because even a SATA II SSD that is much slower than this should not do that. Is this in your laptop or desktop? How much RAM and what CPU are you running.

MichaelPro said:   actually i tried this one but wasn't as fast it it advertises. when you have lots of applications open, it backlogs and the computer hangs for long time. the Intel SSD 520 is REALLY WORTH the priceThere are other places a computer can bottleneck than just the drive. Even the slowest SSD shouldn't cause issues like you're talking about (unless there's something wrong with it). Sounds more like limited memory and paging, or CPU bottlenecked.

Logician1313 said:   MichaelPro said:   actually i tried this one but wasn't as fast it it advertises. when you have lots of applications open, it backlogs and the computer hangs for long time. the Intel SSD 520 is REALLY WORTH the price

It sounds like there is something else going on here that would cause your computer to lag (RAM, caching, page file, etc..), because even a SATA II SSD that is much slower than this should not do that. Is this in your laptop or desktop? How much RAM and what CPU are you running.

I agree the freezing issue is probably a PC specific problem. However despite Samsung claims in their support forums many are discovering these new Samsung 840 non-pro series SSDs ARE significantly slower than the previous generation 830 series especially when multiple applications are requesting read/writes from the SSD. We upgraded a few new laptops with these 840s are we were shocked how much difference there was in performance vs the older 830s we were using for upgrades before. These new 840 series are fractionally faster than the Seagate hard drive SSD hybrids they replaced. We ended up returning them and getting the 840 Pros which do live up to their rep. If you want to get some idea of how bad these new 840 no-pro SSDs are just go on eBay and look at how much the older 830 Series is now bringing at auction. Even a 830 Series SSD purchased within the past 6 months easily sells for more than they sold for new even when eBay fees and shipping are factored in to the net price.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014