• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Onkyo 660W 5.1-Ch. 3D Home Theater System @ Best Buy - $149.99
Compare at $279.99
Free Shipping!

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Member Summary

Onkyo 660W 5.1-Ch. 3D Home Theater System
Thanks zimphella
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Got in the deal in the last second possible, before it says soldout online. Not sure if they honor, seems too good of price. May be a price mistake??. Not sure if this will be honored? Oh Well.. Do not need this, will be glad if order is honored.

I don't think it's a price mistake. Just looks like a clearance sale.

That does seem like a great price. Good luck!

Oos

Ahh, appearantly this receiver does not support active subwoofer . Not sure if I want it

fistfulofdollars said:   Ahh, appearantly this receiver does not support active subwoofer . Not sure if I want it

Active subwoofers generally have speaker level inputs, meaning that you could run an extra pair of speaker cables in parallel with your L/R mains to the active sub.

Granted, it is superior to have a line-level output from the receiver.

oos...argh

fistfulofdollars said:   Ahh, appearantly this receiver does not support active subwoofer . Not sure if I want it

This same system was $199 at woot about two weeks ago and I picked one up. The subwoofer that comes with it is passive, but is surprisingly powerful. I replaced a similar Sony system that had an active subwoofer, and this one has much more bass.

If they come back in stock, I'd definitely recommend getting one. These were $399 at Best Buy just last week. I can't imagine anywhere will sell these cheaper.

One word of advice for those who do get this. Onkyo's surge/short protection circuitry is pretty sensitive, so when hooking up your speakers, make sure there are no stay wire stands touching the other wire or connection. I think I had a stray stand when I first hooked mine up, which tripped the circuitry and kept shutting it off when I'd turn it on (even after removing the speakers/wires)

cremefilled said:   fistfulofdollars said:   Ahh, appearantly this receiver does not support active subwoofer . Not sure if I want it

Active subwoofers generally have speaker level inputs, meaning that you could run an extra pair of speaker cables in parallel with your L/R mains to the active sub.

Granted, it is superior to have a line-level output from the receiver.

I already have an existing Onkyo set up with Onkyo SR-TX605 with 5.1 speaker set up and SKW-530 active sub-woofer. SKW-530 does not have active level speaker inputs that take L/R

The reason I jumped on this deal is because I thought I could use the receiver with my existing speaker setup, which I absolutely love. SR-TX605 that I have has been bought used a year and half ago, so far no major issues, however occasionally it drops sound/picture for a second or two.. once every 6 hours of playing. Not a big deal. However I was thinking that I could upgrade the receiver and this receiver is a step-up in every other category except for the 5.1 (which is adequate for me) and passive sub-woofer issue (3D, more wattage, Audio Return not to mention warranty and NEW receiver replacing 6 year old receiver). May be I need to research in to another sub-woofer that has speaker level inputs (used) or test passive sub-woofer like TerpBE suggested below.

TerpBE said:   

One word of advice for those who do get this. Onkyo's surge/short protection circuitry is pretty sensitive, so when hooking up your speakers, make sure there are no stay wire stands touching the other wire or connection. I think I had a stray stand when I first hooked mine up, which tripped the circuitry and kept shutting it off when I'd turn it on (even after removing the speakers/wires)

Can you please elaborate?

Based on what I understand from above, I should be very careful to not touch wires for different speakers (stray) while connecting speakers. Right?

Specifically I meant touching the two wires from the same speaker. It's probably no issue I'd you're using the wires they supply, because they have soldered ends, but I was using regular speaker wire, and I think one of the strands was touching the connection for the other wire when I turned it on. Generally it won't be a problem, but it can't hurt to be more careful than I was.

fistfulofdollars said:   Got in the deal in the last second possible, before it says soldout online. Not sure if they honor, seems too good of price. May be a price mistake??. Not sure if this will be honored? Oh Well.. Do not need this, will be glad if order is honored.

So what's your point?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014