• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Walmart
Need a Walmart coupon that earns 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

TomTom START Vehicle GPS
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Until you get a call.

TheGhoul (Feb. 10, 2013 @ 12:02p) |

OK, I figured it out. Tapping the bottom center area will toggle between 2D and 3D mode. I need to be driving in 3D mode... (more)

Billygoats (Feb. 10, 2013 @ 12:12p) |

How do you get the traffic without paying the data?

dealsearch (Feb. 10, 2013 @ 12:58p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

N41 Thanks again BB for all the effort, I really appeciate it!

for those who are buying one for the first time.....lifetime maps are a MUST!

Thanks OP. Was looking for a basic GPS - in for one. Would have been great if this also included a dashboard mount.

Thanks op

savitre said:   Thanks OP. Was looking for a basic GPS - in for one. Would have been great if this also included a dashboard mount.
I think most TomToms these days have the easyport built-in (for windshield placement)

I paid $10 more couple of weeks ago. May be I should buy this and return with my old receipt.

"...Store Pick Up @ Wal-Mart"

fwiw, shipping to your home in less than a weeks time from WalMart is still quite cheap at less than $3. Just sayin' - might be worth saving the gas unless you're going there already.

Is anyone familiar enough with this GPS to answer this question?
I imagine it has a charging port, a power button, and maybe a speaker grille, but are there any other openings in the case?
Like audio jacks, SD card slot, etc?
I am thinking of putting this on a motorcycle, and want to know the extent of water resisting I will have to do.
Thanks

In for 3. Thanks Butcherboy!

osuuma said:   Is anyone familiar enough with this GPS to answer this question?
I imagine it has a charging port, a power button, and maybe a speaker grille, but are there any other openings in the case?
I am thinking of putting this on a motorcycle, and want to know the extent of water resisting I will have to do.
Thanks

Audio out is a good feature, it allows you to put the sound where you want.
My Garmin does, this one, who knows.
I used a little powered speaker.

osuuma said:   Is anyone familiar enough with this GPS to answer this question?
Thanks

I use a different TomTom on my bike behind the fairing. It did get sprinkled on a few times with no problems, but in heavy rain I prefer to stow it in the tankbag for a while. FWIW.

BTW, if you are looking for a mount: I went with RAM mounts. Great flexibility to tailor your own layout, and incredibly sturdy. Well worth the money!

This one is the same price
Slightly smaller screen but includes traffic
and lifetime maps
http://www.walmart.com/ip/TomTom-XL-335SE-TM-4.3-GPS-Unit/161162...

Thanks OP, in for one.

Please help me,is it only for US OR US and Canada?

JonnyRock said:   This one is the same price
and lifetime maps

Ordered one of these as a gift earlier today. Much better unit than the OP's!

I want to use this on my boat as build in speedometers are notoriously inaccurate. Will this display the speed in a large easy to read format?

Anyone have an opinion on getting the protection plan for this? And btw, green to you again, BB, I'm in for one. Been wanting a good GPS forever.

ASHKARI said:   Please help me,is it only for US OR US and Canada?Correction ... US maps only. Thanks slickdeal45.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   ASHKARI said:   Please help me,is it only for US OR US and Canada?US and Canada

The 50M only has the US.

This kind of stuff is not hard to figure out. Just Google and read.

and lifetime maps

correct .....the 5 inch screen looks like a laptop sitting on my dashboard

neverl8 said:   I want to use this on my boat as build in speedometers are notoriously inaccurate. Will this display the speed in a large easy to read format?

It's big enough for me. The speedometer is displayed on the lower left corner.

Why not just your smartphone? It's free from Google.

docjoo said:   Why not just your smartphone? It's free from Google.

What if you have a dumb phone?

I am still working on the totally free Net10 phones FROM 3 OR 4 YEARS AGO with 300 minutes each.
IT IS NOT A SMARTPHONE.

and lifetime maps

The one hear has free lifetime maps....

THX for the find.

docjoo said:   Why not just your smartphone? It's free from Google.

A GPS is a much better tool. Some of us don't compromise.

slickdeal45 said:   docjoo said:   Why not just your smartphone? It's free from Google.

I have found a GPS to be much better than a smart phone.
Sometimes I am in a bad coverage area and the GPS does much better
Also you might want to use your phone wile driving

If you have Discover Card, you can get 5% CashBack for, which covers tax for VA residents.

Real good deal. Thanks

this is basically a rebranded 550 xxl - no sd slot, no audio out

and lifetime maps

I like the lifetime traffic feature but it looks like this one has been around since March 2010 which is almost 3 years old. Can someone chime in what feature(s)may be missing compared to newer models? I could live with the smaller screen.

JonnyRock said:   slickdeal45 said:   docjoo said:   Why not just your smartphone? It's free from Google.

I have found a GPS to be much better than a smart phone.
Sometimes I am in a bad coverage area and the GPS does much better
Also you might want to use your phone wile driving
I don't want to be in a dead wireless signal area when I go off route and my phone decides it has to recalculate. With my GPS, it's got the maps built-in.

IMO: A gps is a thing of the past.
We have 4 units in our family. Free traffic and maps.
Since getting our Samsung galaxy S3's and using either Navigon or Sygic gps app, we never use our GPS any more.
The programs I mention above store the maps on your phone. Therefore all you need is a GPS on your phone to use.
No data usage.

It's just not the same. Using a phone is a kludge. I do it when I have to. A good GPS unit can't be beat by a phone. And who wants to tie up their phone like that, anyway?

If you're a college kid with the money, I get it. Otherwise? It's an undesirable compromise.

and lifetime maps

Older technology and slower processor, however these should be hackable. Although since maps are free the only use for hacking is to add voices.

smokediverxxx said:   JonnyRock said:   This one is the same price
and lifetime maps

You must be seeing something I'm not ...
The 5" OP's dimensions: 7.0 x 7.0 x 1.8
The 4.3" dimensions: 8.4 x 9.0 x 2.0

Wouldn't logic dictate that the 5" (OP's) be a smaller unit, with a larger screen?

Also, I see no mention of the 4.3" having lifetime maps at the provided link above.

Sk8terboy said:   smokediverxxx said:   JonnyRock said:   This one is the same price
and lifetime maps

You must be seeing something I'm not ...
The 5" OP's dimensions: 7.0 x 7.0 x 1.8
The 4.3" dimensions: 8.4 x 9.0 x 2.0

Wouldn't logic dictate that the 5" (OP's) be a smaller unit, with a larger screen?

Logic would suggest they are giving you the dimensions of the box, not the GPS.

and lifetime maps

Just wanted to verify that it DOES actually have lifetime maps...

The description of the one the OP posted says it in the description very clearly: "For the life of your the TomTom GPS With Lifetime Map Updates you can download four or more full map updates on your device every year."

In the description for the smaller unit however, it says "In addition, it also has the on-demand Map Share feature that keeps you updated with the latest maps every time"

This sounds pretty close, but doesn't actually say lifetime maps.

Thanks.

(Larger unit seems to have slightly better reviews, but I do agree that a 5" screen is a bit big for my little car. I really like the smaller ~4" units.)

Skipping 36 Messages...
Appelski said:   knickdigger said:   Not everyone wants/needs a smartphone, or more specifically, the monthly bill for the data plan required to do any "smart" things with the phone. Sure, you could possibly load maps onto your SD card & use it for free, but then you still don't get traffic or the better POI search.
Suuush...
Don't tell my $50 HTC One V (black friday) that has never been activated on Virgin or any other phone plan.
--*no* monthly fees--
Bought it AS A GPS. Add $10 for "Co-Pilot" app w/downloaded maps of whole USA, so I have access to multiple stop routing (need for business) and I have functionality of any GPS out there including traffic and "lane assist", not to mention wi-fi internet access, and multiple other things this mini-computer does.

How do you get the traffic without paying the data?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.