QUICK LINKS
MY ACCOUNT
Cash Pending:
Cash Available:
Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

TomTom START 50M 5" Vehicle GPS with Free Lifetime Map Updates $59.98 Store Pick Up, or + s/h to your house @ Wal-Mart

6 of 8
knickdigger
2/4/13 6:21 PM
Not everyone wants/needs a smartphone, or more specifically, the monthly bill for the data plan required to do any "smart" things with the phone. Sure, you could possibly load maps onto your SD card & use it for free, but then you still don't get traffic or the better POI search.
TowHead
2/4/13 10:53 PM
Jes1 said:   

IMO: A gps is a thing of the past.
We have 4 units in our family. Free traffic and maps.
Since getting our Samsung galaxy S3's and using either Navigon or Sygic gps app, we never use our GPS any more.
The programs I mention above store the maps on your phone. Therefore all you need is a GPS on your phone to use.
No data usage.

Some of us prefer not to spend $200/mo on a stupid telephone. I pay $20 each 3 months for our DMFL Tracfone and we have plenty of time left when we re-up. That's 6.66 per month, compared to your $200+ bill and I can choose to delay the re-up until we go on a trip and even get a whole new phone number!! Heck, I'd rather take that same amount of money and buy an asset! Hell, buy a car. I think it's about the dumbest thing one can do to plug in money for a stupid smart phone so they can stare into it and text their friends on farcebook. Seriously now ...
UPRRSLO
2/4/13 11:45 PM
slickdeal45 said:   

docjoo said:   

Why not just your smartphone? It's free from Google.

A GPS is a much better tool. Some of us don't compromise.

I beg to differ. I was on vacation last month and took my Garmin along to DC. Once I got downtown the GPS kept recalculating my trip to the point I had to stop and let it think about it for a minute because I was going in circles. My wife pulled out her Iphone selected google maps and entered our target and I was on my way. If I missed a turn it didn't take a minute to think about it I was just given a new turning point. I gave my Garmin away because of that and the fact that maps do get outdated (not talking about tomtom here). I know most people don't have a "smartphone" but a lot of us do and it's a nice option that fits in my pocket.
Incredibledealmaker
2/5/13 6:11 AM
I have had major directional problems with my new Garmin. Maybe this TomTom will be better!
jmace57
2/5/13 7:36 AM
Thanks BB for the post - in for 1 - it's cheaper than updating the maps on my old Garmin.
NoMoneyInMyWallet
2/5/13 8:19 AM
TowHead said:   

Some of us prefer not to spend $200/mo on a stupid telephone. I pay $20 each 3 months for our DMFL Tracfone and we have plenty of time left when we re-up. That's 6.66 per month, compared to your $200+ bill ...

You're getting ripped off ... I only pay $10 every 4 months (Page Plus) and I have a smartphone.

Also have T-Mobile w/ a smart phone (Nokia with build-in free GPS) that I pay $10 per year (Gold Rewards).

But ... I still prefer a standalone GPS.
ColonelCash
2/5/13 9:47 AM
UPRRSLO said:   

slickdeal45 said:   

docjoo said:   

A GPS is a much better tool. Some of us don't compromise.

I beg to differ. I was on vacation last month and took my Garmin along to DC. Once I got downtown the GPS kept recalculating my trip to the point I had to stop and let it think about it for a minute because I was going in circles. My wife pulled out her Iphone selected google maps and entered our target and I was on my way. If I missed a turn it didn't take a minute to think about it I was just given a new turning point. I gave my Garmin away because of that and the fact that maps do get outdated (not talking about tomtom here). I know most people don't have a "smartphone" but a lot of us do and it's a nice option that fits in my pocket.

I have seen similar things happen in bigger cities (Chicago, NYC) where the GPS doesn't work nearly as well as a phone. Also, a phone has the ability to update mass transit and GPS usually doesn't work underground. Having said that, a GPS is great for folks who do not have smartphones. We have a few of them and my parents use them all the time. When I'm going out of town, I'll toss one in my car, too. Lastly, just because this deal doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean it is not useful for someone. Hell, I don't go thumbs down all the diaper deals because I don't need them.
BPH789
2/5/13 10:05 AM
docjoo said:   

Google map and GPS is battery power hog and inaccurate especially outside US.

Tried to find my hotel near Florence Italy train station using google gps on iPhone 4 and it led me and my family to wild goose chase every direction but our hotel = led us to opposite direction than towards downtown. Phone died after 40 mins of walking everywhere and another hotel's bell boy gave me a REAL map and direction.
dealsearch
2/5/13 11:24 AM
docjoo said:   

I bet some people who bought this unit didn't realize their smartphones can do the same for free.

Are you saying the smartphone GPS apps that do not require data to load maps are free? And how many smartphones have 5" screen?
StevenColorado
2/5/13 12:12 PM
docjoo said:   

When I use the Android application, it takes a while to receive signal in the first place, plus sometimes it will not run until it takes five or ten minutes to do an auto-update. I've had the signal get lost while on the freeway and require restart.

I am SO ready to get a real GPS.
6 of 8
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.