• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
JonnyRock said:   This one is the same price
Slightly smaller screen but includes traffic
and lifetime maps
http://www.walmart.com/ip/TomTom-XL-335SE-TM-4.3-GPS-Unit/161162...

thanks

Currently own a Garmin. I miss my old TomTom.

babalu said:   this is basically a rebranded 550 xxl - no sd slot, no audio out

This is the type of information I was asking for. Maybe I can find different views of the 550 xxl.

PharmerNate said:   JonnyRock said:   This one is the same price
and lifetime maps

Just wanted to verify that it DOES actually have lifetime maps...

The description of the one the OP posted says it in the description very clearly: "For the life of your the TomTom GPS With Lifetime Map Updates you can download four or more full map updates on your device every year."

In the description for the smaller unit however, it says "In addition, it also has the on-demand Map Share feature that keeps you updated with the latest maps every time"

This sounds pretty close, but doesn't actually say lifetime maps.

Thanks.

(Larger unit seems to have slightly better reviews, but I do agree that a 5" screen is a bit big for my little car. I really like the smaller ~4" units.)

I am still torn between the units, but just to confirm the lifetime maps, in the tomtom world a T indicates Traffic and a M indicates lifetime maps
(in the Garmin world it is a T for traffic and a LM for lifetime maps)
This Amazon link seems to confirm the lifetime maps and traffic for the TM models:
http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-4-3-Inch-Portable-Navigator-Lifetim...
Unless WalMart is giving the wrong model #

The XXL is an entry level unit, no bluetooth. With an optional cable it can receive clear channel FM traffic broadcasts in metro areas. It has a nice 5" display and a more customizable menu than Garmin. Avoid the newer TomTom Via series. You have no control at all over files or updates. You cant even seen the file system. There are complaints on discussion boards of sensitivity problems and slow satellite locks with the Via series. I have an XXL and a start 50 and they look the same.

billrubin said:   JonnyRock said:   slickdeal45 said:   docjoo said:   Why not just your smartphone? It's free from Google.
A GPS is a much better tool. Some of us don't compromise.

I have found a GPS to be much better than a smart phone.
Sometimes I am in a bad coverage area and the GPS does much better
Also you might want to use your phone wile driving
I don't want to be in a dead wireless signal area when I go off route and my phone decides it has to recalculate. With my GPS, it's got the maps built-in.

Most latest smartphones do have GPS and don't need wireless signals to make GPS work.

docjoo said:   Most latest smartphones do have GPS and don't need wireless signals to make GPS work.

Having a GPS location is a very different thing than having maps and routing data. If I gave you your lat/lon coordinates without a map, would that help you get anywhere?

Sure, many apps Cache data or have maps on local storage, that's not part of the basic functionality.

It's all about expectations. Like I said before, some people are willing to have a compromised experience. Some aren't. Whatever works for you, you know?

Jes1 said:   IMO: A gps is a thing of the past.
We have 4 units in our family. Free traffic and maps.
Since getting our Samsung galaxy S3's and using either Navigon or Sygic gps app, we never use our GPS any more.
The programs I mention above store the maps on your phone. Therefore all you need is a GPS on your phone to use.
No data usage.

Same here. My stand alone GPS unit was collecting dust after I got my first smart phone about 3 years ago. Recently sold my GPS unit on CL and have never looked back. My Samsung Galaxy S3 is capable of navigating me to where ever I want to drive or walk. There is no need to buy this GPS unit if you know how to use a smartphone. My Samsung S3 only costed me $50 during Black Friday sale...so money well spent. Just buy a car charger on eBay and you can use it all day in your car.

slickdeal45 said:   docjoo said:   Most latest smartphones do have GPS and don't need wireless signals to make GPS work.

Having a GPS location is a very different thing than having maps and routing data. If I gave you your lat/lon coordinates without a map, would that help you get anywhere?

Sure, many apps Cache data or have maps on local storage, that's not part of the basic functionality.

It's all about expectations. Like I said before, some people are willing to have a compromised experience. Some aren't. Whatever works for you, you know?

I didn't know car GPS unit can help you get directions based on lat/lon coordinates without a map. All I know is that it has GPS chip and my phone can help me do same thing and more than this $60 GPS unit. But like you said...whatever works...for me why pay another $60 bucks when my $50 Samsung Galaxy S3 can do it at no additional charge from my current phone plan. I bet some people who bought this unit didn't realize their smartphones can do the same for free.

docjoo said:   I didn't know car GPS unit can help you get directions based on lat/lon coordinates without a map.

I don't think you quite got what I was saying...

I bet some people who bought this unit didn't realize their smartphones can do the same for free.

I bet that, too, but that's life. There are plenty of dumb-dumbs, thankfully.

Not everyone wants/needs a smartphone, or more specifically, the monthly bill for the data plan required to do any "smart" things with the phone. Sure, you could possibly load maps onto your SD card & use it for free, but then you still don't get traffic or the better POI search.

Jes1 said:   IMO: A gps is a thing of the past.
We have 4 units in our family. Free traffic and maps.
Since getting our Samsung galaxy S3's and using either Navigon or Sygic gps app, we never use our GPS any more.
The programs I mention above store the maps on your phone. Therefore all you need is a GPS on your phone to use.
No data usage.

Some of us prefer not to spend $200/mo on a stupid telephone. I pay $20 each 3 months for our DMFL Tracfone and we have plenty of time left when we re-up. That's 6.66 per month, compared to your $200+ bill and I can choose to delay the re-up until we go on a trip and even get a whole new phone number!! Heck, I'd rather take that same amount of money and buy an asset! Hell, buy a car. I think it's about the dumbest thing one can do to plug in money for a stupid smart phone so they can stare into it and text their friends on farcebook. Seriously now ...

slickdeal45 said:   docjoo said:   Why not just your smartphone? It's free from Google.

I beg to differ. I was on vacation last month and took my Garmin along to DC. Once I got downtown the GPS kept recalculating my trip to the point I had to stop and let it think about it for a minute because I was going in circles. My wife pulled out her Iphone selected google maps and entered our target and I was on my way. If I missed a turn it didn't take a minute to think about it I was just given a new turning point. I gave my Garmin away because of that and the fact that maps do get outdated (not talking about tomtom here). I know most people don't have a "smartphone" but a lot of us do and it's a nice option that fits in my pocket.

I have had major directional problems with my new Garmin. Maybe this TomTom will be better!

Thanks BB for the post - in for 1 - it's cheaper than updating the maps on my old Garmin.

TowHead said:   Some of us prefer not to spend $200/mo on a stupid telephone. I pay $20 each 3 months for our DMFL Tracfone and we have plenty of time left when we re-up. That's 6.66 per month, compared to your $200+ bill ...You're getting ripped off ... I only pay $10 every 4 months (Page Plus) and I have a smartphone.

Also have T-Mobile w/ a smart phone (Nokia with build-in free GPS) that I pay $10 per year (Gold Rewards).

But ... I still prefer a standalone GPS.

UPRRSLO said:   slickdeal45 said:   docjoo said:   Why not just your smartphone? It's free from Google.

I beg to differ. I was on vacation last month and took my Garmin along to DC. Once I got downtown the GPS kept recalculating my trip to the point I had to stop and let it think about it for a minute because I was going in circles. My wife pulled out her Iphone selected google maps and entered our target and I was on my way. If I missed a turn it didn't take a minute to think about it I was just given a new turning point. I gave my Garmin away because of that and the fact that maps do get outdated (not talking about tomtom here). I know most people don't have a "smartphone" but a lot of us do and it's a nice option that fits in my pocket.

I have seen similar things happen in bigger cities (Chicago, NYC) where the GPS doesn't work nearly as well as a phone. Also, a phone has the ability to update mass transit and GPS usually doesn't work underground. Having said that, a GPS is great for folks who do not have smartphones. We have a few of them and my parents use them all the time. When I'm going out of town, I'll toss one in my car, too. Lastly, just because this deal doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean it is not useful for someone. Hell, I don't go thumbs down all the diaper deals because I don't need them.

docjoo said:   Why not just your smartphone? It's free from Google.

Google map and GPS is battery power hog and inaccurate especially outside US.

Tried to find my hotel near Florence Italy train station using google gps on iPhone 4 and it led me and my family to wild goose chase every direction but our hotel = led us to opposite direction than towards downtown. Phone died after 40 mins of walking everywhere and another hotel's bell boy gave me a REAL map and direction.

docjoo said:   I bet some people who bought this unit didn't realize their smartphones can do the same for free.
Are you saying the smartphone GPS apps that do not require data to load maps are free? And how many smartphones have 5" screen?

When I use the Android application, it takes a while to receive signal in the first place, plus sometimes it will not run until it takes five or ten minutes to do an auto-update. I've had the signal get lost while on the freeway and require restart.

I am SO ready to get a real GPS.

JonnyRock said:   This one is the same price
and lifetime maps

Does anyone own this one, that can weigh in on how well the traffic feature works? My Android GPS supposedly includes the traffic capability, but it shows nonexistent traffic jams and omits real ones.

I had Tomtom's RDS traffic service for a year. It worked alright, but I only really used that in cities I was unfamiliar with. I know my daily commuting patterns and don't use my GPS for local trips, so when it came time to renew my traffic service I dropped it.

The most useful part of the RDS traffic, for me, was having an idea of the delay involved. Knowing how much I'd be delayed reduced the frustration for me, particularly on long trips that involved going through Chicago.

Picked up the Start 50M today and just finished installing the updates. After creating an account I received an email with a $10 Voucher for the TomTom Online Shop, good for 30 days. Now to figure out what to spend it on.

The 5 inch screen suites me well for a RV.

rapidrick said:   The 5 inch screen suites me well for a RV.

What I've found to be really handy for a larger vehicle are the GPSs with remote controls. TomTom has had that as a feature on many of their older high-end units. Not sure if they still offer it, but I've found mine to be really useful when the GPS isn't mounted quite so close to the driver.

rapidrick said:   The 5 inch screen suites me well for a RV.

Your RIGHT WORD check seems to be turned off

I have a smartphone but hardly use it for gps. Use it for calls and emails mostly.
It just can't beat my 5" tomtom which has lane guidance, tts, good poi search, etc. Each to their own but regarding the obama comment and being on welfare, such a stupid comment, shouldn't put down people like that.

knickdigger said:   Not everyone wants/needs a smartphone, or more specifically, the monthly bill for the data plan required to do any "smart" things with the phone. Sure, you could possibly load maps onto your SD card & use it for free, but then you still don't get traffic or the better POI search.
Suuush...
Don't tell my $50 HTC One V (black friday) that has never been activated on Virgin or any other phone plan.
--*no* monthly fees--
Bought it AS A GPS. Add $10 for "Co-Pilot" app w/downloaded maps of whole USA, so I have access to multiple stop routing (need for business) and I have functionality of any GPS out there including traffic and "lane assist", not to mention wi-fi internet access, and multiple other things this mini-computer does.

This thing is a pain in the ass. I got it today and it takes me over ten minutes to lock onto a satellite. What a pain in the ass!

alamo11 said:   This thing is a pain in the ass. I got it today and it takes me over ten minutes to lock onto a satellite. What a pain in the ass!

I have two tomtoms and never encountered this problem. I regularly do updates though.

A discussion here, I know quickgpsfix was on the updates list, so maybe try the suggestions here?

I need help. This thing is driving me crazy! I am ready to return this back to WalMart. I am having the same problem as a posting I read on the WalMart site:
<Not what I expected02/02/2013
Although this model has improved features which I like over my old Tom Tom (more bells and whistles), for the life of me I can't get used to to changing positions of the directional arrow, it's all over the place (sometimes my new unit has the directional arrow indicator going up the screen where left is left and right is right but then it may be coming down the screen and left is right and right is left or then maybe across the screen. I can't focus or orientate my mind to keep up the proper relationship of my vehicles position in regards to the direction of travel. I've changed the menu position option from vertical to horizontal several times withonly slight improvement. On my old Tom Tom, left was always left, right was always right, up the screen was going forward where it always remained, screen view was constantly adjusting to stay in alignment with the directional arrow thus I always knew my vehicles position relative to direction of travel. I'm wondering if there are others out there experiencing the same problem.>

Your screen might be set as "North = Always Up" or whatever it's called, like mine is. I prefer it that way, keeping the map static & having the car icon change direcctions. It sounds like you prefer the other way, but there should be an option in the settings menu.

This is probably a common issue for those that didn't learn navigation by using a traditional map. I don't miss the days of having to flip through the pages of the big Rand Mcnally road atlas to figure out how far until the next bathroom break, but like you, I still prefer my maps north up. It's easier to tell what direction I'm heading at a glance and also keeps me constantly aware of the cardinal direction. I'll bet if you asked those that only know how to read the heading up orientation, 3 out of 4 wouldn't be able to tell you which direction was which as soon as they turned the GPS off.

KuoH

knickdigger said:   Your screen might be set as "North = Always Up" or whatever it's called, like mine is. I prefer it that way, keeping the map static & having the car icon change direcctions.

Until you get a call.

Billygoats said:   I need help. This thing is driving me crazy! I am ready to return this back to WalMart. I am having the same problem as a posting I read on the WalMart site:
<Not what I expected02/02/2013
Although this model has improved features which I like over my old Tom Tom (more bells and whistles), for the life of me I can't get used to to changing positions of the directional arrow, it's all over the place (sometimes my new unit has the directional arrow indicator going up the screen where left is left and right is right but then it may be coming down the screen and left is right and right is left or then maybe across the screen. I can't focus or orientate my mind to keep up the proper relationship of my vehicles position in regards to the direction of travel. I've changed the menu position option from vertical to horizontal several times withonly slight improvement. On my old Tom Tom, left was always left, right was always right, up the screen was going forward where it always remained, screen view was constantly adjusting to stay in alignment with the directional arrow thus I always knew my vehicles position relative to direction of travel. I'm wondering if there are others out there experiencing the same problem.>

OK, I figured it out. Tapping the bottom center area will toggle between 2D and 3D mode. I need to be driving in 3D mode and use the 2D mode for a view of the map as though viewed from above. 2D map mode as far as I can tell, cannot be rotated in direction of travel. I can live with that.

Appelski said:   knickdigger said:   Not everyone wants/needs a smartphone, or more specifically, the monthly bill for the data plan required to do any "smart" things with the phone. Sure, you could possibly load maps onto your SD card & use it for free, but then you still don't get traffic or the better POI search.
Suuush...
Don't tell my $50 HTC One V (black friday) that has never been activated on Virgin or any other phone plan.
--*no* monthly fees--
Bought it AS A GPS. Add $10 for "Co-Pilot" app w/downloaded maps of whole USA, so I have access to multiple stop routing (need for business) and I have functionality of any GPS out there including traffic and "lane assist", not to mention wi-fi internet access, and multiple other things this mini-computer does.

How do you get the traffic without paying the data?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.