QUICK LINKS
MY ACCOUNT
Cash Pending:
Cash Available:
Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

TomTom START 50M 5" Vehicle GPS with Free Lifetime Map Updates $59.98 Store Pick Up, or + s/h to your house @ Wal-Mart

7 of 8
StevenColorado
2/5/13 12:37 PM
JonnyRock said:   

This one is the same price
Slightly smaller screen but includes traffic
and lifetime maps
http://www.walmart.com/ip/TomTom-XL-335SE-TM-4.3-GPS-Unit/161162...

Does anyone own this one, that can weigh in on how well the traffic feature works? My Android GPS supposedly includes the traffic capability, but it shows nonexistent traffic jams and omits real ones.
slickdeal45
2/5/13 12:47 PM
I had Tomtom's RDS traffic service for a year. It worked alright, but I only really used that in cities I was unfamiliar with. I know my daily commuting patterns and don't use my GPS for local trips, so when it came time to renew my traffic service I dropped it.

The most useful part of the RDS traffic, for me, was having an idea of the delay involved. Knowing how much I'd be delayed reduced the frustration for me, particularly on long trips that involved going through Chicago.
junkityjunk
2/6/13 3:22 PM
Picked up the Start 50M today and just finished installing the updates. After creating an account I received an email with a $10 Voucher for the TomTom Online Shop, good for 30 days. Now to figure out what to spend it on.
rapidrick
2/6/13 3:48 PM
The 5 inch screen suites me well for a RV.
slickdeal45
2/6/13 3:51 PM
rapidrick said:   

What I've found to be really handy for a larger vehicle are the GPSs with remote controls. TomTom has had that as a feature on many of their older high-end units. Not sure if they still offer it, but I've found mine to be really useful when the GPS isn't mounted quite so close to the driver.
yesidonoitall
2/6/13 5:30 PM
rapidrick said:   

Your RIGHT WORD check seems to be turned off
sylar30
2/6/13 11:03 PM
I have a smartphone but hardly use it for gps. Use it for calls and emails mostly.
It just can't beat my 5" tomtom which has lane guidance, tts, good poi search, etc. Each to their own but regarding the obama comment and being on welfare, such a stupid comment, shouldn't put down people like that.
Appelski
2/7/13 8:09 PM
knickdigger said:   

Not everyone wants/needs a smartphone, or more specifically, the monthly bill for the data plan required to do any "smart" things with the phone. Sure, you could possibly load maps onto your SD card & use it for free, but then you still don't get traffic or the better POI search.

Suuush...
Don't tell my $50 HTC One V (black friday) that has never been activated on Virgin or any other phone plan.
--*no* monthly fees--
Bought it AS A GPS. Add $10 for "Co-Pilot" app w/downloaded maps of whole USA, so I have access to multiple stop routing (need for business) and I have functionality of any GPS out there including traffic and "lane assist", not to mention wi-fi internet access, and multiple other things this mini-computer does.
alamo11
2/10/13 10:34 AM
This thing is a pain in the ass. I got it today and it takes me over ten minutes to lock onto a satellite. What a pain in the ass!
sylar30
2/10/13 10:58 AM
alamo11 said:   

This thing is a pain in the ass. I got it today and it takes me over ten minutes to lock onto a satellite. What a pain in the ass!

I have two tomtoms and never encountered this problem. I regularly do updates though.

A discussion here, I know quickgpsfix was on the updates list, so maybe try the suggestions here?
7 of 8
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.