QUICK LINKS
MY ACCOUNT
Cash Pending:
Cash Available:
Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

TomTom START 50M 5" Vehicle GPS with Free Lifetime Map Updates $59.98 Store Pick Up, or + s/h to your house @ Wal-Mart

Last page
8 of 8
Billygoats
2/10/13 11:09 AM
I need help. This thing is driving me crazy! I am ready to return this back to WalMart. I am having the same problem as a posting I read on the WalMart site:
<Not what I expected02/02/2013
Although this model has improved features which I like over my old Tom Tom (more bells and whistles), for the life of me I can't get used to to changing positions of the directional arrow, it's all over the place (sometimes my new unit has the directional arrow indicator going up the screen where left is left and right is right but then it may be coming down the screen and left is right and right is left or then maybe across the screen. I can't focus or orientate my mind to keep up the proper relationship of my vehicles position in regards to the direction of travel. I've changed the menu position option from vertical to horizontal several times withonly slight improvement. On my old Tom Tom, left was always left, right was always right, up the screen was going forward where it always remained, screen view was constantly adjusting to stay in alignment with the directional arrow thus I always knew my vehicles position relative to direction of travel. I'm wondering if there are others out there experiencing the same problem.>
knickdigger
2/10/13 11:35 AM
Your screen might be set as "North = Always Up" or whatever it's called, like mine is. I prefer it that way, keeping the map static & having the car icon change direcctions. It sounds like you prefer the other way, but there should be an option in the settings menu.
KuoH
2/10/13 11:56 AM
This is probably a common issue for those that didn't learn navigation by using a traditional map. I don't miss the days of having to flip through the pages of the big Rand Mcnally road atlas to figure out how far until the next bathroom break, but like you, I still prefer my maps north up. It's easier to tell what direction I'm heading at a glance and also keeps me constantly aware of the cardinal direction. I'll bet if you asked those that only know how to read the heading up orientation, 3 out of 4 wouldn't be able to tell you which direction was which as soon as they turned the GPS off.

KuoH

knickdigger said:   

Your screen might be set as "North = Always Up" or whatever it's called, like mine is. I prefer it that way, keeping the map static & having the car icon change direcctions.

TheGhoul
2/10/13 12:02 PM
docjoo said:   

Why not just your smartphone? It's free from Google.

Until you get a call.
Billygoats
2/10/13 12:12 PM
Billygoats said:   

I need help. This thing is driving me crazy! I am ready to return this back to WalMart. I am having the same problem as a posting I read on the WalMart site:
<Not what I expected02/02/2013
Although this model has improved features which I like over my old Tom Tom (more bells and whistles), for the life of me I can't get used to to changing positions of the directional arrow, it's all over the place (sometimes my new unit has the directional arrow indicator going up the screen where left is left and right is right but then it may be coming down the screen and left is right and right is left or then maybe across the screen. I can't focus or orientate my mind to keep up the proper relationship of my vehicles position in regards to the direction of travel. I've changed the menu position option from vertical to horizontal several times withonly slight improvement. On my old Tom Tom, left was always left, right was always right, up the screen was going forward where it always remained, screen view was constantly adjusting to stay in alignment with the directional arrow thus I always knew my vehicles position relative to direction of travel. I'm wondering if there are others out there experiencing the same problem.>

OK, I figured it out. Tapping the bottom center area will toggle between 2D and 3D mode. I need to be driving in 3D mode and use the 2D mode for a view of the map as though viewed from above. 2D map mode as far as I can tell, cannot be rotated in direction of travel. I can live with that.
dealsearch
2/10/13 12:58 PM
Appelski said:   

knickdigger said:   

Not everyone wants/needs a smartphone, or more specifically, the monthly bill for the data plan required to do any "smart" things with the phone. Sure, you could possibly load maps onto your SD card & use it for free, but then you still don't get traffic or the better POI search.

Suuush...
Don't tell my $50 HTC One V (black friday) that has never been activated on Virgin or any other phone plan.
--*no* monthly fees--
Bought it AS A GPS. Add $10 for "Co-Pilot" app w/downloaded maps of whole USA, so I have access to multiple stop routing (need for business) and I have functionality of any GPS out there including traffic and "lane assist", not to mention wi-fi internet access, and multiple other things this mini-computer does.

How do you get the traffic without paying the data?
Last page
8 of 8
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.