• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Sears
See Sears promo codes that earn 3.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Ratcheting Wrench Set
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Can someone explain why a ratcheting socket is 12-points instead of 6?

IgorSkovoroda said:   Can someone explain why a ratcheting socket is 12-points instead of 6?
Perhaps because 12-point sockets work better with 6-point heads than 6-point sockets work with 12-point heads?

Seriously, I see a lot of these that have more 'squareness' on the points, and are billed as "universal":
"works with 6-point, 12-point, 4-point, torx, rounded heads, .... " And the most useful for most people
is probably when they have to use them on a square-head bolt.

Bought similar sets at Sears under different label for my mechanical engineer son. Marvelous tools, also amazing that such a relatively simple concept had not flown until this late date.
I suspect these "Craftsman" wrenches are rebranded versions of the ones I bought.

I find the open end "ratching" part is gimmicky and rarely useful

bas157 said:   I find the open end "ratching" part is gimmicky and rarely useful
I'm not surprised; on all the sets I've seen, the ratchet is part of the closed end.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014