• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Meritline has the Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote Control with Color Touchscreen, Model# 915-000099, Recertified for $99 with free ground shipping with code MLCKX04HNL1. Normally $124.99. These are nice remotes if you do not need the RF feature. In that case get the 900 model, which comes with an RF receiver and two controller units. The one issue is battery durability, which is dicussed widely on the net. Link: Meritline

Meritline.com
See Meritline.com coupons that earn 3.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Logitech Harmony One (36.77kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Staff Summary

I had one 6 months ago after seeing on this site and it was a horror story. I ended up sending it back c/o the CEO and never heard back.This product is hard to program and once you finish and try to use it I found basic functions like volume up and volume down did notwork or favorites. Often some function like selecting input on the tv did not work and you must go to the Help button and use it 3 or moretimes to get that input selected. Certainly this is not a time saver. I found that my Verizon Remote that comes with the FIOS DVR coulddo everything that this unit did and it was without cost. I would not buy this thing if the price were $1.00.They get tons of returns b/c of problems. This unit they sell as "refurbished" was a return. These things are cheap to make and sellfor more than a Bluray player so they can afford lots of returns.

belgique said:   I had one 6 months ago after seeing on this site and it was a horror story. I ended up sending it back c/o the CEO and never heard back.This product is hard to program and once you finish and try to use it I found basic functions like volume up and volume down did notwork or favorites. Often some function like selecting input on the tv did not work and you must go to the Help button and use it 3 or moretimes to get that input selected. Certainly this is not a time saver. I found that my Verizon Remote that comes with the FIOS DVR coulddo everything that this unit did and it was without cost. I would not buy this thing if the price were $1.00.They get tons of returns b/c of problems. This unit they sell as "refurbished" was a return. These things are cheap to make and sellfor more than a Bluray player so they can afford lots of returns.

Hmm, quite a different experience than my family has had with the Harmony remotes. We set these up for my parents and grandparents, and they LOVE them. Programming them properly will ensure that they DO save time and are quite the handy device. My grandparents LOVE that they can press "Watch TV" which turns on the DVR, TV on and to correct input, and turns the receiver on and to the correct input. Hit watch a movie, and it switches everything to the proper inputs, shutting off devices which don't need to be on.

The only issue I had with setting my Harmony up, was my Sony TV having a longer boot up delay than the remote thought, which would always turn on my tv but not switch input. 2 minutes of looking and it was fixed.

These things are not perfect but they offer FAR more than your basic universal remote, but they may not be for everybody.

These remotes are far from perfect and in some RARE cases are unusable to all but the most expert user. It all depends on your hardware. For some reason I had to manually setup 1/3 of the buttons on my AVR through their Windows software. Basic things like the arrow keys for menus were not wired! It had them listed and the function was either blank or mapped to the wrong key. I think volume up was arrow up. Arrow left/right were not even set. And my AVR isn't exactly new or unknown...it's a Denon 1712.

In addition to the nightmare setting up the AVR keys, I have another problem. I have two digital inputs into my TV, one for my AVR and one for my PC. I have a harmony 700 and the inputs only switch properly 85% of the time. I understand that the remote is "state" based, so using "device" keys directly on the remote to switch the input will screw up the state of the device. So I always use the Help button when this happens.

In any event, I'm a programmer and understand how the remote works on a very intimate level. Even with this knowledge I am having issues. So I could definitely see a non-techie person having LOADS of issues if they had my setup. However, the real targeted user of this device is generally a home theater nerd.

Harmony wants you to think their remote will work for every setup regardless of the users' technical prowess. They get it right 90% of the time though. And that's pretty damn good considering how many thousands of devices they need to support.

nice remote but no RF

belgique said:   I had one 6 months ago after seeing on this site and it was a horror story. I ended up sending it back c/o the CEO and never heard back.This product is hard to program and once you finish and try to use it I found basic functions like volume up and volume down did notwork or favorites. Often some function like selecting input on the tv did not work and you must go to the Help button and use it 3 or moretimes to get that input selected. Certainly this is not a time saver. I found that my Verizon Remote that comes with the FIOS DVR coulddo everything that this unit did and it was without cost. I would not buy this thing if the price were $1.00.They get tons of returns b/c of problems. This unit they sell as "refurbished" was a return. These things are cheap to make and sellfor more than a Bluray player so they can afford lots of returns.

sounds like you never broke free from the old 'universal' remote style functionality. the harmony is heavily activity-driven. if you answered the questions of the wizard correctly, controlling the basics like volume and channel control is dead-simple.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014