Model: X501A-HPD121H

Member Summary

asus
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
OOS

ElGuache (Feb. 05, 2013 @ 2:23p) |

Please say there are less spies in the sequel..?

in2dadark (Feb. 06, 2013 @ 10:46p) |

Got this a couple days ago, as good as any other cheapie laptop. Trackpad is mediocre, but they pretty much all are in ... (more)

aerotive (Mar. 01, 2013 @ 8:05p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Shipping option shows up at checkout.

Click on Find Stores (before putting in cart) and see if they have it in your area. Mine had at 5 different stores within 60 mile radius.

Available for Store Pickup at select Best Buy Stores.
Find Stores | Learn More

wait a few more days. It will be like 30% off on valentine's day

I'd read the reviews first before jumping on this deal.

What's the OS on it?

Edit: the internets say it's Win8

LetsGoMets1 said:   I'd read the reviews first before jumping on this deal. I agree, pretty much all the BB reviews are negative

g10ny said:   What's the OS on it?

The internets? Is there more than one?

LetsGoMets1 said:   g10ny said:   What's the OS on it?

Internet2 (The Sequel)

If you remove the reviews complaining about Win8 and the missing CD/DVD drive and you have a little better laptop but even giving the benifit of a doubt it is a no go for me.

isn't the CPU on this really terrible?

russ0519 said:   isn't the CPU on this really terrible?

It is not as fast as a core i7, but the new B series Pentiums based on the Sandy Bridge architecture are much better than the old versions. It is fine for most surfing / light usage.

Logician1313 said:   russ0519 said:   isn't the CPU on this really terrible?

It is not as fast as a core i7, but the new B series Pentiums based on the Sandy Bridge architecture are much better than the old versions. It is fine for most surfing / light usage.

Benchmark

Score 2309 vs 8521 for a 2600k, which is a gen 2 i7.

russ0519 said:   Logician1313 said:   russ0519 said:   isn't the CPU on this really terrible?

Benchmark

exactly...."not as fast" is "a slight understatement"

lordoffire said:   russ0519 said:   Logician1313 said:   russ0519 said:   isn't the CPU on this really terrible?

Benchmark

exactly...."not as fast" is "a slight understatement"

actually "not as fast" is however you want to interpret it, it is a 100% correct statement.

I agree with the above, CPU speeds are over-rated for the intended use (light usage/most surfing). It reminds me of the knocks against a laptop I purchased (AMD quadcore A4 processor). Yes, it will not compute PI as fast as i3 or i5, but for my usage (surfing the web, watching movies on a plane etc) I would rather have the better battery life and lower power CPU then be computing pi or doing heavy math on it. Most people aren't buying laptops at Best Buy to do complex simulations/mathematics. For most light word processing applications etc the OS/RAM etc will make more of a difference than the CPU speed (does it really matter if you can launch MS-WORD a few seconds faster?). For most games the processor speeds are moot and it's the graphics card that counts. My sister bought one of these B series machines for a similar price and its fine for the facebook/office/storing digital pictures and general web use that she uses it for. For the price this seems like a fantastic deal.

Great price OP, FWers cry too much for $244

Product Features
Intel® Pentium® processor B980
Features a 1333MHz bus speed, a 2MB L3 Cache and a 2.4GHz processor speed.

4GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power.

Note: Optical drive not included
Compatible with optional external recordable CD/DVD drives (not included).

15.6" LED-backlit TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen display
With 1366 x 768 resolution showcases your movies, games and other images in stunning detail.

500GB hard drive (5400 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.

UMA graphics
For lush images with intricate detail. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.

Built-in 1.0MP webcam and microphone
Make it easy to video chat with family and friends.

Multiformat media reader
Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick and Memory Stick PRO formats.

1 USB 3.0 port and 1 USB 2.0 port
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11n)
Connect to the Internet without wires.

Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Fast Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.

Weighs 4.1 lbs. and measures just 1.3" thin
For lightweight portability. Chiclet-style keyboard with full-size keys allows easy, comfortable typing.

I only see store pickup and my local stores don't have it in stock.

yeah, there's the one that Al Gore invented and then the other one that we all use.

russ0519 said:   Logician1313 said:   russ0519 said:   isn't the CPU on this really terrible?

Benchmark

Here is the comparison of laptop CPUs.
B980 (@ 2290) is just about 4% slower than i3-2310M (@ 2377).

looks like the shipping option is gone, only in-store pickup is available, if you can find out

More best buy clearance items that are never in stock....

I got one, can pick it up tomorrow, it better not be open box or refurbished, if so they will keep it to sell to someone else.

When I put the model number in the regular BB site for store stock, it said none.
However for the clearance site apparently they do have them, or at least the one I am getting

picking mine up at a store 10 miles away in the morning. thanks

Why yes there is....
Ours and the one North Korea has.

hankbass said:   picking mine up at a store 10 miles away in the morning. thanks

I need to go 28 miles away, but it gives me a good reason for lunch at Hometown Buffet

yesidonoitall said:   hankbass said:   picking mine up at a store 10 miles away in the morning. thanks

I need to go 28 miles away, but it gives me a good reason for lunch at Hometown Buffet

Manchester?

Coupon code shows dead, expired for me.

bignick said:   yesidonoitall said:   hankbass said:   picking mine up at a store 10 miles away in the morning. thanks

Manchester?

Medford Oregon

Second time I have seen this after the code expired. i wouldn't mind the Dell 14 inch Ultrabook with 20% off, it still retails for $999.99 at Dell.com.

ElGuache said:   Coupon code shows dead, expired for me.

Try

REALLOVE22 - $241.79 now.

Oh My, the Dell is now 600, very tempting. 70 mile round trip to pick it up though.

fwbuckeye said:   I agree with the above, CPU speeds are over-rated for the intended use (light usage/most surfing). It reminds me of the knocks against a laptop I purchased (AMD quadcore A4 processor). Yes, it will not compute PI as fast as i3 or i5, but for my usage (surfing the web, watching movies on a plane etc) I would rather have the better battery life and lower power CPU then be computing pi or doing heavy math on it. Most people aren't buying laptops at Best Buy to do complex simulations/mathematics. For most light word processing applications etc the OS/RAM etc will make more of a difference than the CPU speed (does it really matter if you can launch MS-WORD a few seconds faster?). For most games the processor speeds are moot and it's the graphics card that counts. My sister bought one of these B series machines for a similar price and its fine for the facebook/office/storing digital pictures and general web use that she uses it for. For the price this seems like a fantastic deal.

I agree that a lot of folks don't need much more than an entry level laptop. The Pentium series is very capable, I used one as my main laptop for a few months before selling it and getting an i5.

BTW, there's no such thing as a quad-core A4 APU. Yours is either a dual-core A4 or a quad-core A6 and up.

Best Buy Store Pickup Only

Shipping Doesn't show up anymore

Todays Coupon Code: REALLOVE22 (gives you 22% off)

NoOneHere said:   LetsGoMets1 said:   g10ny said:   What's the OS on it?

Internet2 (The Sequel)

i own internetv2.com, one day I will make it version 2 of the internet

These my be open box items...returned items, floor samples

From the clearance website
==============================

Worry-free shopping.

At Best Buy, we sell lots of computers, e-readers, tablets, and accessories—millions, in fact. Sometimes we end up with extra inventory, floor samples, or returned items, and that means we can offer them to you at a great price.

New deals all the time

Check here often! We’re adding new items at low prices every week. You never know when that special product you’ve had your eye on will come up for sale at the price you’ve been waiting for. And these deals are available exclusively online—you won’t find them in Best Buy stores or at BestBuy.com.

Buy with confidence

You don’t have to worry when you buy from Best Buy Computing Clearance. Most of the devices we sell come with a warranty that varies by product. Learn more about our warranties.

Simple returns

Change your mind? No problem. In most cases, you can return your purchase within 30 days by mail or at your local Best Buy store.

Yessus! There's is lots of peoples that useses the internets.

According to their website:

Clearance Items at Best Buy Clearance

What does "clearance" mean?
Clearance items are brand new, never opened, factory-sealed products that are available at a reduced price.

If it's open box or refurbished, they would have to state so.

Clearance items are suppose to be brand new.

Skipping 7 Messages...
Got this a couple days ago, as good as any other cheapie laptop. Trackpad is mediocre, but they pretty much all are in this price range. Will use a wireless mouse I already have. Keyboard is good so far.
Screen is nice for the price though 99% of the time it'll be hooked up to my tv with the lid closed.

Recommend Classic Shell to get the start button back.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014