Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Pinemeadow Golf 11600 (55.25kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

This post is fine, but personally, I would spend a few dollars more and get some "name" brand clubs. For instance, watch www.rockbottomgolf.com (sign up for their daily deals) and you can get some great deals on NEW but previous version models of the majors like TaylorMade, Callaway, or Titleist, as well as "secondary" but VERY viable brands like Nickent or Adams.

I found incredible deals on Adams Redline irons that actually beat (in testing) the much-heralded TaylorMade Burner 2.0 irons (supposed to be the "longest" around):
http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/irons/redline.php

My point may sound contradictory, but it's not:

Golf clubs are kind of like big screen TVs. If you want the latest, greatest, you'll pay handsomely to be a pioneer. So you can wait for the top brands to come out with a new model and get a great deal on older sets or you can try to find an "off brand" (TCL in TVs and Adams in golf clubs), so you don't have to buy the uber-cheap, but maybe suspect Chinese knockoffs.

Hopefully, that puts it in perspective.

As always, Butcherboy sets the FW gold standard and this member appreciates his efforts very much.

/

I'm kind of surprised that Pinemeadow has managed to stay in business, what with the market getting saturated with used clubs, Asian knockoffs, and other budget brands.

Pinemeadow made sense in the days when new name-brand club sets cost at least $600 and used sets were at least $200-300, but I just don't see the appeal when I can go to eBay and find a decent set of used Pings or Callaways for $125 or less.

Last year I bought three sets of clubs, two used Nike sets and a new Nickent set on eBay for no more than $115 a set shipped. I figured I'd try them out, pick the set I liked the best and sell them for at least what I paid for them on Craigslist. There are an awful lot of clubs out there on eBay and if you're willing to buy last year's model or forego the overhyped Taylormade sets, you can easily get a very high quality set of name brand clubs for under $150. Set the search engine for "auctions only" to exclude all the "Buy It Now Auctions," sort by "ending soonest" and skim through some auctions, clicking the "watch auction" button so you can keep track of which ones you are following. You'll get the best deals on ones whose auction ends at odd times, such during the middle of a weekday.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014