• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
In honor of Black History Month (I don't see the connection), AARP is offering their online Driver Safety (defensive driving) course for only $5. The regular price is $19.95 ($15.95 for members, and $8 more for NY residents), and the coupon currently brings it down to $5 for everyone. The email I received claimed that the $5 price is only for AARP members, but it seems to be working for non-members as well (we'll have to see if they fix that). This course pays for itself at regular price (in NY, you get 10% off your auto insurance, and 4 points from your license) at only $5 it's a steal!

Website

Use code BHM2013 for the discount.

List of states where you get an insurance discount

The offer presumably expires on 2/28. You have 60 days to take the course after paying for it.

Member Summary

aarp
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
California Wawanesa $20 per year for 3 years if you are 55 and over

DaysFan (Feb. 27, 2013 @ 12:48p) |

First, you take a stamped envelope and write my name and address on it. Then take some dollar bills, preferably the $100... (more)

aarzi (Feb. 27, 2013 @ 6:50p) |

21st insurance in FL. Discounts for 55+ only.

thegame81 (Feb. 27, 2013 @ 7:30p) |

Liberty Mutual discount only applies to 55+ in the following states: PA, TN
USAA requires age 55 for discount in VA
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

In honor of Black History Month, shouldn't the AARP be paying ME to take the test?

Seems to be only good if you are 50 year or older (55 in some states) to get the insurance discount

Which insurance company will honor the discount?

What States/companies offer discounts?

thenew3 said:   Seems to be only good if you are 50 year or older (55 in some states) to get the insurance discount

Is that true for NY through this option?

website says course is for 50 year olds and higher. Not sure insurance company will accept certificate if you are under 50. Probably makes sense to check.

About 3 years ago, a Geico rep told me that to get the discount, I'd have to take a defensive driving course with one of the providers/schools approved by Geico. Among those, there were a few that offered an on-line course but I didn't take it. Now I'm with State Farm and my agent told me that I'd have to complete a classroom-based course (she specifically said it couldn't be an Internet one). Not sure who was right. This deal looks like a very good deal but it might not apply to my policy (in GA). Have to check with State Farm.

Thanks OP!

I checked with my insurance company. I would save $40 per year for 3 years if both wife and I take the class. This class is 8 hours long. Not sure it's worth the time.

JumboRedGrunt said:   About 3 years ago, a Geico rep told me that to get the discount, I'd have to take a defensive driving course with one of the providers/schools approved by Geico. Among those, there were a few that offered an on-line course but I didn't take it. Now I'm with State Farm and my agent told me that I'd have to complete a classroom-based course (she specifically said it couldn't be an Internet one). Not sure who was right. This deal looks like a very good deal but it might not apply to my policy (in GA). Have to check with State Farm.

Thanks OP!

I'm stating the obvious but Geico is clearly a different company than State Farm so they may have different requirements to get a discount. By the way, I'm in GA and switched from State Farm (after 20 years) to All State and now save about $1000 a year. (I have 8 policies.) You might consider looking around. State Farm had their info wrong on me and sent me a cold, corporate, threatening letter. So I told them since they were a faceless corporation I could find an equally faceless corporation that charged me less...which I easily did. And when my Agent begged me to stay because he could find me cheaper rates, I pointed out that meant he was just screwing me for extra money all these years and didn't care until I left? So then I left happily waving the verbal middle finger.

mcpagano said:   I checked with my insurance company. I would save $40 per year for 3 years if both wife and I take the class. This class is 8 hours long. Not sure it's worth the time.

I think upfront time and money costs aren't the only factors to consider. The knowledge to hone your driving skills will probably make you less likely to be involved in an accident, so you'll be really saving more time and potential injuries.

Even though my state wasn't on the list, my insurance company said they will accept the class. Select the last option (US Mail) to get the certificate without additional cost.

"Although the course is geared to drivers age 50 and older, the course is open to people of all ages."

http://www.aarp.org/home-garden/transportation/info-05-2010/why-...

Bizatch said:   In honor of Black History Month, shouldn't the AARP be paying ME to take the test?

Effectively (via huge discount) they are. Maybe not the entire cost of this course but something's better than nothing and you potentially qualify for insurance discounts so it'll even pay you later.

Called Geico to see if we were eligible (mid 30's in IL).
They said 5% discount each *if* we were over 50.

So, not worth doing now - but would have saved us about $70 a year.

I'll check back in about 15 years

BenH said:   Called Geico to see if we were eligible (mid 30's in IL).

I have Geico and I took the defensive driver course a while ago, and it's on my list of discounts. It's apparently good for 36 months.

Emailed them to see when it's expiring and whether the secondary driver can take the course and we can get more discounts.

cratervalley said:   mcpagano said:   I checked with my insurance company. I would save $40 per year for 3 years if both wife and I take the class. This class is 8 hours long. Not sure it's worth the time.

I think upfront time and money costs aren't the only factors to consider. The knowledge to hone your driving skills will probably make you less likely to be involved in an accident, so you'll be really saving more time and potential injuries.
You don't get driving time with an instructor so deteriorating driving skills will not be detected or corrected. The biggest benefit you'll get is a review of safe driving techniques, a small discount, and an update of new driving laws.

BenH said:   Called Geico to see if we were eligible (mid 30's in IL).

I am 42 years old and have been getting the Geico discount for the past 15 years or so. I was in NY and now in NJ. Geico also offers a similar on-line course but I am not sure of their cost.

I think it is only for 55+ in Cali.

billrubin said:   In honor of Black History Month (I don't see the connection), AARP is offering their online Driver Safety (defensive driving) course for only $5. The regular price is $19.95 ($15.95 for members, and $8 more for NY residents), and the coupon currently brings it down to $5 for everyone. The email I received claimed that the $5 price is only for AARP members, but it seems to be working for non-members as well (we'll have to see if they fix that). This course pays for itself at regular price (in NY, you get 10% off your auto insurance, and 4 points from your license) at only $5 it's a steal!

Website

Use code BHM2013 for the discount.

List of states where you get an insurance discount

The offer presumably expires on 2/28. You have 60 days to take the course after paying for it.

IMPORTANT NOTE!!

Some states the DMV Law is indeed min. age of 55 years to get the discount on this course (you can take it at 50, but you get no benefit from it for ins. savings purposes). SO BE SURE TO CHECK WITH YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY PRIOR TO SIGNING UP!!

also, in most states, this course will get you the discount ONLY IF ALL DRIVERS on the policy take the course, if husband and wife on policy, be sure YOU BOTH sign up for $5ea. AGAIN, CHECK WITH INSURANCE CO. FIRST!! (also, if one is over 55 and the other under 55 (or 50 as the case may be), it may still not work, so be sure to flush out all these issues with your ins. co first before enrolling)

Finally, in most states, this course completion will earn you the discount for a THREE YEAR PERIOD starting with YOUR NEXT PREMIUM RENEWAL DATE. So if you take it now, and you insurance renews on 6/1/13, it may earn you the discount for 36 months from June 1, 2013.

IF YOU ALREAD SIGNED UP AND FIND OUT YOU HAVE TO BE 55 and are not yet 55 and want a refund of your $5, simply call 1-800-350-7025 and they will help you. Just explain that your DMV/insurance laws require you have to be 55 to get the discount and you didn't realize that when you signed up. This was the case for me, and I just called and they cancelled my course/processed a refund to my Visa.

Just spoke to AAA here in California and it's a 1.? discount but 55 and over only

TEXANS: The minimum charge set by statute is around $25 so this is invalid in the Lone Star State.

lexcurat said:   TEXANS: The minimum charge set by statute is around $25 so this is invalid in the Lone Star State.

I'd ask AARP about that first, they may have an exemption from this.

In PA State Farm offers 5% discount for 4 years. Not terrible. Probably worth the time. What else am I going to do in this lousy weather?

Billrubin,

Is this a course with periodic questions to be answered throughout?
Some of these o/l classes just make you sit through 6 hours as long as you keep hitting enter you pass....

thanks op gr8deal, though one maywant to consider the extra2hours (8 as opposed to 6) for other courses that cost 20 bucks, atleast in ny.

MrWizzard said:   In PA State Farm offers 5% discount for 4 years. Not terrible. Probably worth the time. What else am I going to do in this lousy weather?

Are you over 55? The Pennsylvania Insurance Website doesn't mention anything for those under 55...

-ace

Liberty Mutual said in TN to get discount you must be 55.

saladdin said:   Liberty Mutual said in TN to get discount you must be 55.

Just called, same thing for LM in Pennsylvania...

MrWizzard said:   In PA State Farm offers 5% discount for 4 years. Not terrible. Probably worth the time. What else am I going to do in this lousy weather?What is the minimum age to qualify for the discount?

I just got a ticket for 2 points, IF I take this course do you think it will remove my 2 points?
I'm IN NJ

In Rhode Island, you need to be 55.

Good for progressive in florida for 5% off per agent.

Oh well... Buy now, figure out later strategy didn't serve me well this time. Bought two courses for myself and my wife, and only then figured the discounts are for 50+ people. I guess I helped sponsor some of the costs for my fellow FWers. I'll start getting discounts in several years time, anyway.

Geico information by state. This lists what requirements are for defensive driving discounts:

http://www.geico.com/information/states/

For Kentucky this doesn't qualify because it is an online class.

Also here is a state by state list for the Geico defensive driving test. This information is specifically for Geico's online class, but it will give an idea of requirements by state:
http://www.geicoddc.com/Finesource/information/geico_stateinfo.a...

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   MrWizzard said:   In PA State Farm offers 5% discount for 4 years. Not terrible. Probably worth the time. What else am I going to do in this lousy weather?What is the minimum age to qualify for the discount?

Thanks, my current discount will expire next
year so I'm taking advantage of this offer.

anybody have progressive and live in Texas?

Skipping 77 Messages...
21st insurance in FL. Discounts for 55+ only.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014