• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
CA Travelers Ins, is 55+ and 20.00 per person for 3 year discount

Dil

ryeny3 said:   "Although the course is geared to drivers age 50 and older, the course is open to people of all ages."

http://www.aarp.org/home-garden/transportation/info-05-2010/why-...
My kids took the AARP classroom class and I got the discount fine. I'm with Geico in NY. I can't speak for the online course but I don't see why it would be different.

In NY, there is no minimum age to get the defensive driver discount or point reduction.

NYS DMV recognizes it as a valid https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pirp/

My insurer indicates there is no age restriction in NY (erie insurance) linky

I called up my insurance (esurance) and they confirmed its only for senior citizens in VA

MISTERCHEAP said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   MrWizzard said:   In PA State Farm offers 5% discount for 4 years. Not terrible. Probably worth the time. What else am I going to do in this lousy weather?What is the minimum age to qualify for the discount?

That's not what the GEICO site says. They claim it's 50. I did notice that the PA state site says 55. Odd. Perhaps that is what's required, but some companies do better.

IndianInUSA said:   I called up my insurance (esurance) and they confirmed its only for senior citizens.The AARP course or the defensive driver discount?

billrubin said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   MrWizzard said:   In PA State Farm offers 5% discount for 4 years. Not terrible. Probably worth the time. What else am I going to do in this lousy weather?What is the minimum age to qualify for the discount?

That's not what the GEICO site says. They claim it's 50.

in PA it's 55 Bill. State DMV law, insurance companies follow their lead.

MISTERCHEAP said:   
also, in most states, this course will get you the discount ONLY IF ALL DRIVERS on the policy take the course, if husband and wife on policy, be sure YOU BOTH sign up for $5ea. AGAIN, CHECK WITH INSURANCE CO. FIRST!! (also, if one is over 55 and the other under 55 (or 50 as the case may be), it may still not work, so be sure to flush out all these issues with your ins. co first before enrolling)
That seems to be the wording in PA but I wonder if that is true everywhere. In NY, it's applies to the car where the primary driver is attached. So if I take the course but my wife does not, the discount is applied to my car but not hers.

billrubin said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   
also, in most states, this course will get you the discount ONLY IF ALL DRIVERS on the policy take the course, if husband and wife on policy, be sure YOU BOTH sign up for $5ea. AGAIN, CHECK WITH INSURANCE CO. FIRST!! (also, if one is over 55 and the other under 55 (or 50 as the case may be), it may still not work, so be sure to flush out all these issues with your ins. co first before enrolling)
That seems to be the wording in PA but I wonder if that is true everywhere. In NY, it's applies to the car where the primary driver is attached. So if I take the course but my wife does not, the discount is applied to my car but not hers.

Bill,

the ins and outs of the rules are not clearly spelled out on the AARP website on a state by state basis. It's probably best if in doubt about your state's rules and the discount you can receive, to contact your insurance company and pin down the exact answers.

Obviously, to my dismay, the rules in PA are not as lenient as NY for getting this discount. According to my carrier, both parties would have to be over 55 and have completed the course to receive the 5% discount. I'm not 100% if they are accurate on that, but they are correct in the 55 age minimum based on DMV rules in PA.

busterbrown32952 said:   Good for progressive in florida for 5% off per agent.
With the 55 age requirement or not?

My time is worth more than $2/hour. The discount only lasts for three years. Then you have to retake the course. The savings is $12/year per my insurance company. So $36 savings minus $20 up front equals $16. It's $2/hr when you divide by 8 hours to take the course.

yourpal said:   My time is worth more than $2/hour. The discount only lasts for three years. Then you have to retake the course. The savings is $12/year per my insurance company. So $36 savings minus $20 up front equals $16. It's $2/hr when you divide by 8 hours to take the course.It's $5, not $20, but the math still probably doesn't make it worthwhile for you. For me, it would pay for itself in about a month (probably less).

$10 for both my wife and I to take the course. We got a 10% discount for 3 years from Allstate as soon as we faxed in the Certificates of Completion to them. For us, it more than paid for itself in the first month.

My comment that the discount was $5 for Mercury in California was pulled by the moderator because I also said that AARP has turned into a sham. I guess FW has become PC.

Sent to

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_memberemail/MemberEmail?action=New...

Subject get an insurance discount aarp driversafety course?
Do we get an insurance discount for taking this aarp driver safety course?

http://www.aarpdriversafety.com/

They've updated the price for NY residents, it now is $13 ($5 cost of class + $8 DMV fees).

Wow, let me update that, if you put in "BHM2013 " with a space on the end it only brings it down to $13, but if you take out the space it brings it down to $5 total. Signed up me and the wife. Can't go wrong with $5 savings per month for 3 years ($180 savings) for extrememly minimal effort.

This test is much better than taking the DMV test for 2-4 hr days. The up side of that is the follow up tests ar only 4hrs.

Spend little time to sign up. A little expectation. Thanks.

thanks registered and as an aarp member the course is only costing $5.

Be aware you are required to call and do voice authentication before each of 8 section quizzes.
In New York State if you 'fail' three times you have to start over from the beginning.

I did this and for the first and third quiz the system just couldn't recognize my voice, even after repeating three times in a quiet room. Three hours wasted. I already called to cancel.

Great deal!! Got it!

FYI I tried several times with no space at end of code(state MN)and was denied. Then added a space and got it for $5. Thanks!

NOTE: Not a member of AARP

For GA, it's 10% mandatory discount for the drivers age 25+. Purchased for both me and DH. Definitely going to give it a try.

for State Farm, go to this link and select your state at the bottom of the page to see the discount requirements for your state.

for CA:

Mature Driver Improvement Course Discount

You may be eligible for this discount if all of the following apply:
•The principal operator of the vehicle is at least 55 years of age, and
•The principal operator of the vehicle has voluntarily taken and successfully completed a Mature Driver Improvement Course within the past three years. Such course must have been approved by the Department of Motor Vehicles, and
•A certificate from the Department of Motor Vehicles is presented to State Farm® certifying that the course was successfully completed within three years prior to the inception or renewal of the current policy term.

When I renewed my auto insurance with Geico on Dec 1 they sent me a note saying that we could get a discount if my wife and I took a defensive driving course. A couple weeks later I got an email from AARP offering this online course for I think $9.99. I called Geico and asked if this course was eligible for the discount. The CSR said it was, and we would get a discount. I believe he said it would be $33/yr. My wife and I both did the course. She was definitely NOT happy - she HATES computers, and having to sit in front of one for 8 hours was not her idea of a good time. After we both finished I called Geico to inform them. The CSR was very nice... then she put me on hold. When she returned she said they were unable to give us a discount. I told her she better get her supervisor because my wife and I didn't spend this time for nothing. When the supervisor got on, he started apologizing before I even said a word. He said they would love to give us a discount for the course, but he said that Illinois was the only state that did not accept online courses for the discount. He said that they have to provide our info to the state, and Illinois would just reject it. He apologized some more, than said he would reimburse us for the course. I said, what about our time? We finally came to an agreement at $90. I had a check from Geico within a week. From the way he talked, I believe my file was notated from my conversation with the CSR who told us that the course would be accepted. The supervisor said he was going to send out a reminder to all the CSRs about Illinois not accepting online courses.

Thanks OP.
Just finished segment 2 (out of 8) and so far a huge part of the info (maybe 80%) pertains to older individuals... Hopefully the following segments are more universal

I have Travelers in NY and they allow the course since it is on the DMV website. Also since I am the main driver, there is no additional discount if the other drivers in household take the course. This will supposedly save me 40$/year x 3 years, nearly 7% of the premium. Not the best paying job (15$/hour if discount kept for 3 years), but maybe it's going to save me an accident in the future

So happy to find this deal by accident which is useful to me.

yourpal said:   My time is worth more than $2/hour. The discount only lasts for three years. Then you have to retake the course. The savings is $12/year per my insurance company. So $36 savings minus $20 up front equals $16. It's $2/hr when you divide by 8 hours to take the course.
I think you have just disproved your own claim by your post: you are in Fatwallet trying to save money, and that your time is worth more than $2/hour.

Thanks OP! I've taken this before and received a State Farm premium discount and a lot of valuable driver safety knowledge.

Just called insurer Kemper Direct in CT and was told 38/year discount for 3 years but only for drivers on my policy over 60.

bobley said:   thenew3 said:   Seems to be only good if you are 50 year or older (55 in some states) to get the insurance discount

Is that true for NY through this option?

Yes, I got it for NY last November through the AARP online program

Since this is an AARP course, it is more tailored to elderly drivers and might not be the most useful course for younger drivers. Although parts of the course relate to safe driving practices that are applicable to everyone; some of the material is devoted to age-related declines in ability, when to stop driving, and transportation alternatives once driving is no longer safe.

This would be a great course to recommend to an elderly relative whose driving ability has deteriorated. Rather than deal with a sensitive topic directly, recommend taking the AARP course as away to save on insurance. Suggestions on compensating for declining reflexes might save a life. If this relative is becoming a dangerous driver, hearing the same information in polite manner from the AARP might be more palatable that hearing it from a younger relative.

It's not available in Maryland from USAA.

muskiemyke said:   ...The supervisor said he was going to send out a reminder to all the CSRs about Illinois not accepting online courses.
Reason #534 to hate the bureaucracy of the State of Illinois. (Yeah, I live here too.)

sueyw said:   bobley said:   thenew3 said:   Seems to be only good if you are 50 year or older (55 in some states) to get the insurance discount
Is that true for NY through this option?

Yes, I got it for NY last November through the AARP online program
I think the question was about the minimum age for the discount, and the answer is that there is no minimum age for the discount in NY.

I will be saving about 250 over next 3 years.
The site asks for DOB and Drivers License Number.
I am not comfortable giving that out (AARP has contracted with an outside agency that provides this course directly too but charges much more)

I have put somewhat fudged info in those 2 fields. Lets see how it goes with Liberty Mutual.

Trying to charge me $13 because of some $8 State Fee...

I did this course a few months back. Note that the segments are not 15-20 minutes long where you could be letting it run in the background while you are doing other things online. The video/audio is literally in 5-15 second chunks, each of which requires you afterwards to click the arrow to advance to the next section. Still worth the discount, just wanted to make sure everyone knew you really are going to have to devote the allotted time to it.

Whats the actual time you can get thru this..is it really 8 hours???

Thanks OP, got the $5 deal and taking the course for CA.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.