• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Samsung 840
Disclaimer
SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD250KW 2.5" 250GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Use code EMCYTZT2903 to knock down the price, must be an EGG suscriber.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147186

Limit 9999 per customer.

Newegg
See Newegg promo codes that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

MZ-7TD250KW
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

"The promo code emcytzt2903 is not active yet. Please check the program details for activation dates."

When is it supposed to be active?

Edit: never mind... 9 AM PST.

Problem is TLC flash is 1/3 the lifetime of MLC.

Should I go for 840 or 840 Pro?

The pro is faster but more expensive. 840<830<840 Pro

rockymast said:   Should I go for 840 or 840 Pro?

fatxman said:   Problem is TLC flash is 1/3 the lifetime of MLC.

By that time you will want larger drive, no?

OOS currently

When can we expecting disposable SSD?

fatxman said:   Problem is TLC flash is 1/3 the lifetime of MLC.

What exactly is the problem? This is MLC SSD

When you see a Samsung drive that's in even GB numbers (120, 250, 500) it's not MLC. Also, the 3-yr warranty vs. 5-yr on the 128/256/512 MLC Pro versions is a dead giveaway.

So, if you are okay with TLC and the inferior reliability it offers vs. MLC, you can get some good deals.

Personally, I got a 256gb MLC Samsung and it flies.

According to this, if I write 10 gigs a day to a 128gig tlc drive, it will last 11.7 years. If I write 10gigs a day to a 256 gig drive it will last 23.4 years. That sounds like plenty to me. Am I missing something?

mungbai said:   According to this, if I write 10 gigs a day to a 128gig tlc drive, it will last 11.7 years. If I write 10gigs a day to a 256 gig drive it will last 23.4 years. That sounds like plenty to me. Am I missing something?
Nope. If the price is right, there's nothing wrong with a TLC drive. I dodged it because at 256gigs, the price differential was nominal and I wanted to buy the best for my dollar. My data is very precious and having lost everything years ago (yes, I back up, etc) I only buy what I'm fully comfortable with. To me, it's not the "over two decades!" that's important about what you posted, it's the confidence it inspires as it's showing the durability of the hardware. Nobody will have a drive for that long without replacing it.

Flash SSDs are still kind of new and I just trusted MLC at a premium cost. Nothing wrong with TLC though. It's cheap in comparison so hey, why not?

coolbreeze said:   mungbai said:   According to this, if I write 10 gigs a day to a 128gig tlc drive, it will last 11.7 years. If I write 10gigs a day to a 256 gig drive it will last 23.4 years. That sounds like plenty to me. Am I missing something?
Nope. If the price is right, there's nothing wrong with a TLC drive. I dodged it because at 256gigs, the price differential was nominal and I wanted to buy the best for my dollar. My data is very precious and having lost everything years ago (yes, I back up, etc) I only buy what I'm fully comfortable with. To me, it's not the "over two decades!" that's important about what you posted, it's the confidence it inspires as it's showing the durability of the hardware. Nobody will have a drive for that long without replacing it.

Flash SSDs are still kind of new and I just trusted MLC at a premium cost. Nothing wrong with TLC though. It's cheap in comparison so hey, why not?

I get what you are saying. Its good information to know that this is actually an inferior technology. I'm kind of mad that I bought one even though I know intellectually that there is no way I will burn it out in my personal laptop that I use maybe 10 hours a week. But still! NO HAVE BEST TECHNOLOGY??? HULK SMASH!!!

Who knew that 128/256/512 weren't even numbers! Damn this new math!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014