• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
HP Elite (L2201x) 21.5" 16ms Widescreen LED Backlight Monitor @ Newegg - $89.99
compare at $119.99
Free Shipping!
Expires On: Feb 10, 2013 11:59pm

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Newegg
See Newegg coupons that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

HP Elite (L2201x) 21.5" 16ms Widescreen LED Backlight Monitor
Thanks sparky34
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

No HDMI....No DVI......

meggacat said:   No HDMI....No DVI......

That's becuase:
The HP Elite L2201x is an ultra-modern, micro-thin business monitor. Creating a picture perfect view in any environment, this is HP's thinnest monitor to date - perfect for notebook users interested in a contemporary, space-saving second monitor.

displayport only.

I'm tempted .... it's a nice second display...

meggacat said:   No HDMI....No DVI......

So what? At that price I'm sure you can afford to pick up something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=104...

Dont think that adapter will work - you need a DP source to use this monitor.

Good catch. Did not know that

16ms? Wow

Deleted.

This would be an amazing portable monitor if it wasn't so slow. If you don't mind bringing an RV of gadgets with you on a trip, it might be okay... only while on the go however.

Passed on this deal at $120, $90, $80... waiting for a sweet spot at around $50 to $60.

Some other negs for this HP L2201x monitor :

1 .The dc power input and DisplayPort connectors are on the left side of the monitor so they are both easily visible from the front of the monitor. In fact, the DisplayPort cable connector sticks out 3-4 inches on the left side which ruins any astethics the thinness this monitor brings to the table.
2. This HP monitor has serious issues waking up from a suspended state when your connected PC goes to sleep or you turn the monitor off when your PC is on. Basically in both cases you either have reboot every time or physically disconnect and reconnect the DisplayPort cable before it will recognise a DisplayPort video signal again. HP engineering is fully aware of this issue and states it is not a problem with L2201x even though their support forum is full of complaints about this issue. Their official response is that this problem it is a video card driver issue even though those complaining have used other monitors with DisplayPorts on the same PCs using the same video cards and they don't exhibit this issue.

cnIsfg said:   Some other negs for this HP L2201x monitor :

2. This HP monitor has serious issues waking up from a suspended state when your connected PC goes to sleep or you turn the monitor off when your PC is on. Basically in both cases you either have reboot every time or physically disconnect and reconnect the DisplayPort cable before it will recognise a DisplayPort video signal again. HP engineering is fully aware of this issue and states it is not a problem with L2201x even though their support forum is full of complaints about this issue. Their official response is that this problem it is a video card driver issue even though those complaining have used other monitors with DisplayPorts on the same PCs using the same video cards and they don't exhibit this issue.

In other words "We got it to work on one computer from the middle of nowhere, and nobody bought it at retail, so we ain't paying to recall it." Typical for HP. Bad news; They'll probably get away with it, and the class action lawsuit would just be billed to insurance anyways.

16ms? That's a little bit slow.

I hope I can avail this. Thanks for posting.

It's worth checking the Amazon reviews .
http://www.amazon.com/HP-L2201X-21-5-Inch-Led-Monitor/dp/B0055PK...

Display not waking up with many Video cards is a real pain.
Seems there is no way to find out ahead of time .
I will wait for $80 landed .. that seems a good price ;-}

One review ... there are a couple more worth reading also.

First, let's get the obvious out of the way. There's only one full-size displayport (DP) input.
A quirk with DP inputs is that they'll generally only work with DP sources.
So, while you can convert from a DP output to an hdmi or dvi with a cheap, passive converter, to convert from hdmi or dvi to DP requires an expensive (>$50), active converter. So, if you don't have a computer with a DP output, you should probably stop reading now and look for something else. HP bills this as a laptop monitor, as many laptops from the past few years come with either a full-size or mini DP (thunderbolt is backwards-compatible). Many discrete GPUs also come with DP outputs. And yes, 1 hdmi input would've been more useful.

As for the monitor itself, it's a 5000:1 static contrast MVA panel. IPS and TN panels generally top out at 1000:1, and other MVA monitors by Asus or BenQ are currently around 3000:1 (though 5000:1 will arrive later this year). I don't know if the HP panel I received is actually 5000:1, but I do know it's the highest contrast LCD I've ever laid eyes on. Even cranked up to full brightness, the black levels are comparable to my macbook's at minimum brightness. For every LCD I've ever owned, the blacks eventually become grey as you turn up the brightness. On this monitor, it stays very black, and that's kind of incredible.

Random observations:
- The response time isn't very good, so if you plan to do a lot of 60fps gaming, look elsewhere. For movies and tv shows, it's perfectly adequate and I didn't notice ghosting any worse than my other LCDs.
- As it's an MVA panel, it also has much better viewing angles than TN, though not quite as good as IPS.
- There's no VESA mount.
- The electronics are housed beneath the screen, so while the bezel along the top and sides is fairly thin, the bottom bezel is quite large.
- Depth-wise, the monitor is incredibly thin, and overall very light.
- Windows update will download an ICC profile, and OS X has one as well. I only made minor adjustments within the OS-level calibration tools, but I don't do color-sensitive work.
- There's no on-screen display, only a power button, brightness up/down, and a small LED that is always on.
- My particular unit has no dead pixels, or light bleed, and is well constructed.

It's the best screen I ever got for watching movies: best contrast, best colors

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014