• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Staples
See Staples discounts that earn Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Dust Destroyer Duster 7oz. (15.26kB)
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
FWIW, I ordered some of these the last time they were on sale. Was surprised to find that the air blast is not nearly as... (more)

skavoovie5 (Feb. 12, 2013 @ 12:57a) |

I second that. I've been using compressor for a while and my computers look brand new!

HyperX (Feb. 16, 2013 @ 8:24a) |

triamarker (Feb. 16, 2013 @ 6:33p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

To blow dust from one place to another and call it "dust destroyer" is beyond me.

Is this a good deal? Is there not another way to clean out a PC besides canned air yet?

try a vaccum cleaner

JOHNR314 said:   try a vaccum cleaner

I would advise against this. Static buildup will destroy your PC components.

HeSaveDave said:   JOHNR314 said:   try a vaccum cleaner

Good point. The next house I buy will be in one of them new 'static free' communities.

But "dust displacer" just doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

KuoH

kchiok said:   To blow dust from one place to another and call it "dust destroyer" is beyond me.

Regardless of the merits of the concept of canned air, often it is the best solution for things like keyboards and the internals of computers, sewing machines, printers, etc.

$1.65 a can is an excellent price for an item that is nearly always overpriced, air. I reserved a couple for my next trip to Staples.

deloppoled said:   HeSaveDave said:   JOHNR314 said:   try a vaccum cleaner

Good point. The next house I buy will be in one of them new 'static free' communities.

Static in general will not usually harm your PC. Opening your PC, plugging in an electrical device and shoving part of it into your PC may.

HeSaveDave said:   deloppoled said:   HeSaveDave said:   JOHNR314 said:   try a vaccum cleaner

Static in general will not usually harm your PC. Opening your PC, plugging in an electrical device and shoving part of it into your PC may.

You seeed confused...you say static will"destroy your PC components" but "will not usually harm your PC".
Great deal on canned air though

Technically, both are partially true. You can zap the case of your PC all day and it will do nothing, even most of the ports are fairly resiliant to static. However, open the case and zap one of the motherboard or plug in card card components, then things are different. That said, I have never had any problems with using a vacuum cleaner to remove dust from motherboards, but they just don't have the power to suck out the years of dust and lint that tend to clog most CPU heatsinks and PSU vents. Also, most portable vacuum cleaners are still too bulky or too weak to get the job done. Forget dust busters, the closest thing I found that worked well enough was a Eureka Toolbox vac and it was still quite bulky and loud compared to a can of air. Still, a 7oz can of air is probably only enough to get 1 PC decently clean while a vacuum caleaner will do an entire house or office. In the end, it comes down to having the right tool for the job, but sometimes you just need both to do the job right.

KuoH

homersaysdoh said:   You seeed confused...you say static will"destroy your PC components" but "will not usually harm your PC".
Great deal on canned air though

IIRC, you can reserve these online and get the online price when picking them up in the store. Staples has these in their weekly ad for $4.99 and their policy is to match their store price to their online prices. No need to wait for them to ship to the store.

In for 1..thanks OP

using a paint brush and then vacuum, works great

Good price.

I'm going to get the air, but usually use a garden hose hooked up to a hot water faucet to clean the PC when the weather is warm. Never had a problem with static electricity when using the hose.

Just returned from Staples after picking up some of these. Great deal OP! Thanks!

Never used one of these, are you supposed to blow out the ventilated covers on the back of the laptop, the USB ports, etc in addition to the keyboard? PLMK, thank you!

Excellent price for canned air. For those who cannot afford canned air, a hair dryer can, if its a decent one, put out enough force for basic cleaning.

Page Not Found each time I check out and submit my order. Anyone else?

Edit: Checking out as a guest worked.

asbuilt said:   Good price.

I'm going to get the air, but usually use a garden hose hooked up to a hot water faucet to clean the PC when the weather is warm. Never had a problem with static electricity when using the hose.

Best post of the day. LOL

Dust Destroyer = Sneeze Starter for me, but I don't know of a better alternative. Thanks for the deal, OP

The 3 gallon compressor does the job for me. It handles finish nailer for the household projects and the compressed air for the Computer projects.

Ordered online and they adjusted the price in store. Got 2. Nice deal

Powerful leaf blower is the choice for me. Twice a year, never had problem, two desktops are 6-7 years old now. Can of air is too weak to do my job.

skinflinto said:   Never used one of these, are you supposed to blow out the ventilated covers on the back of the laptop, the USB ports, etc in addition to the keyboard? PLMK, thank you!

Anyone? Thank you!

Yes, just make sure you're not doing this while the laptop is on. Also, keep the car upright, and direct air using the straw attachment.

skinflinto said:   skinflinto said:   Never used one of these, are you supposed to blow out the ventilated covers on the back of the laptop, the USB ports, etc in addition to the keyboard? PLMK, thank you!

Anyone? Thank you!

thanks mister cheap. I needed this right now.
Edit:
BTW, the way to use this is WITH a vacuum cleaner running while you blow the electronics. That way the dust flies up and into the vac hose. mostly anyways.

pokumon said:   Yes, just make sure you're not doing this while the laptop is on. Also, keep the car upright, and direct air using the straw attachment.

skinflinto said:   skinflinto said:   Never used one of these, are you supposed to blow out the ventilated covers on the back of the laptop, the USB ports, etc in addition to the keyboard? PLMK, thank you!

Anyone? Thank you!

Appreciate the response! Just one question though, I cannot lift my car, can you? (Hint: reread your post!)I know you meant 'can', not 'car', just joking w/ you. Think I'll get a couple as my laptop needs a thorough cleaning. The USB ports aren't black anymore! Thanks, again!!

Just what I needed...that was easy

Anyone? Thank you!

Skinflint,
with most computers, even with laptops, I end up opening them up and blowing off the mother board.

I knew a guy who had a Toshiba that wouldn't stay on for more than 15 minutes. I googled the model # and the problem and found that this laptop was notorious for getting filled with dust and then overheating and shutting down. He opened it up, and you wouldn't believe how thick the dust was on it. He blew it off and it ran like new again.

I'm walking on sunshine

FWIW, I ordered some of these the last time they were on sale. Was surprised to find that the air blast is not nearly as strong as some older cans I bought at Fry's several years ago (don't recall the brand and don't have the can handy at the moment).

Not sure if that is a trend where newer canned air is a lot weaker, or if these are just a lousy brand.

ach1199 said:   The 3 gallon compressor does the job for me. It handles finish nailer for the household projects and the compressed air for the Computer projects.

I second that. I've been using compressor for a while and my computers look brand new!

HeSaveDave said:   Is this a good deal? Is there not another way to clean out a PC besides canned air yet?Surprised nobody has mentioned the Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac 500-Watt 0.75-HP Electric Duster 120-Volt yet.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014