• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Linky

This is an excellent deal for the best mobile phone in the world.

For those who hate contracts? Buy it and cancel the contract for $200. You get it for $300 (I don't think you will get the rebate). It is still $50 less than google play store's price.

T-Mobile
See T-Mobile discounts that earn Up to $37.50 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Nexus 4 16GB (5.47kB)
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Well there is a chance you may get blacklisted by T-Mobile. I am. Which is why I cannot take advantage of this deal.

fatxman (Feb. 12, 2013 @ 10:22a) |

So how does this work: you cancel outside the return/ remorse period, you pay prorated service + ETF + activation + phon... (more)

noc2be (Feb. 12, 2013 @ 5:51p) |

I guess is Verizon uses LTE for 4G and this phone does not (officially) support LTE.

ltrinh (Feb. 20, 2013 @ 5:24p) |

Staff Summary

fatxman said:   

That's a lofty statement. I've owned one and it was, ok for the price.

It's the best phone for an outright purchase because it's cheap. I'd argue the Note 2 is the best mobile phone in the world, but that would open a can of worms.

There isn't a "best in the world" of anything, as everyone's needs are different. The Nexus 4 is a fine phone, as are many others. None are best though.

Carry on. Hey, I gave you green before people blast me for speaking my opinion...I think your post is a novel way to save $50 if you are willing to jump through hoops. I'm personally shocked T-Mo hasn't upped their ETF like everyone else. Guess that shoe is close to dropping due to angles like this. Get it while you can!

Why would they put suggested retail price for 549.99. Do they think people are dumb enough to fool like this?

coolbreeze said:   fatxman said:   

It's the best phone for an outright purchase because it's cheap. I'd argue the Note 2 is the best mobile phone in the world, but that would open a can of worms.

There isn't a "best in the world" of anything, as everyone's needs are different. The Nexus 4 is a fine phone, as are many others. None are best though.

Carry on. Hey, I gave you green before people blast me for speaking my opinion...I think your post is a novel way to save $50 if you are willing to jump through hoops. I'm personally shocked T-Mo hasn't upped their ETF like everyone else. Guess that shoe is close to dropping due to angles like this. Get it while you can!

Well, that is my opinion as the best mobile phone in the world right now.

As for saving $50, you will probably end up saving more with tax and shipping cost. It is more like around $75.

I got a Moto Razr ...that's the best phone in the world.

Uggg, I have less then a year on my current T-Mobile contract and they want me to pay $385 to upgrade...bozos! I hate stupid companies.

ezwrighter said:   Uggg, I have less then a year on my current T-Mobile contract and they want me to pay $385 to upgrade...bozos! I hate stupid companies.
You can pay T-Mo $385 to extend your contract or find one, probably BNIB locally for like $350. I bought one, still sealed last week locally for $350. Powered it up, played around and realized it was a downgrade to my Note 2, re-listed it and sold the next morning for $350.

Guess my point is if T-Mo is going to charge you more than Google, I'd either buy direct from Google or find one literally brand new for about $350. No contract extension.

And BTW, never sign another contract again

Yeah, I don't get this: why are people still going on contracts instead of buying their phone outright?

And why are people on post-paid = more expensive plans + up to 20% total in BS taxes and fees vs. pre-paid = same carrier/ service, cheaper plans and no taxes - discount codes to make the refills even cheaper?

coolbreeze said:   ezwrighter said:   Uggg, I have less then a year on my current T-Mobile contract and they want me to pay $385 to upgrade...bozos! I hate stupid companies.
You can pay T-Mo $385 to extend your contract or find one, probably BNIB locally for like $350. I bought one, still sealed last week locally for $350. Powered it up, played around and realized it was a downgrade to my Note 2, re-listed it and sold the next morning for $350.

Guess my point is if T-Mo is going to charge you more than Google, I'd either buy direct from Google or find one literally brand new for about $350. No contract extension.

And BTW, never sign another contract again

Ya, I got that...was lamenting the stupid company and their prices above retail WITH a contract! 1.2 years ago, there was no Nexus 4 or any really good non-contract phone for a decent price. Now I would just grab a nexus 4 and go month to month.

Wonder why Verizon does not offer this phone? wake up people!!! vote with your pocketbook!!!!

tydas said:   Wonder why Verizon does not offer this phone? wake up people!!! vote with your pocketbook!!!!

Perhaps has something to do with the Nexus 4 being a GSM device and Verizon, I dunno, being on CDMA?

It's like saying cars with gas engines should be offered with the option to also run on Diesel?

RichardF said:   Yeah, I don't get this: why are people still going on contracts instead of buying their phone outright?

And why are people on post-paid = more expensive plans + up to 20% total in BS taxes and fees vs. pre-paid = same carrier/ service, cheaper plans and no taxes - discount codes to make the refills even cheaper?

I am on a family plan and usually post-paid has better deals. Also, you get multiple discounted phones so it does end up being less expensive. If I was solo, I would have been on prepaid.

what about the activation fee and required data fee? wouldn't this be charged already before you cancel? or are these refunded when you cancel the contract?

coolbreeze said:   fatxman said:   

ThereBut you have to isn't a "best in the world" of anything, as everyone's needs are different. The Nexus 4 is a fine phone, as are many others. None are best though.

I'd say the Nexus 4 offers the smoothest/fastest UI experience of any android/iOS phone out to date and is on par with Windows phone. That being said the note 2 is a better media device due to the larger screen, longer battery life, and expandable storage for people with large collections they like to keep on them at all times locally. It also has a better camera.

At the end of the day, the Nexus 4 is ahead of the Note 2 for me because of the how awesomely fluid 4.2 is on it and I know I will be getting the next version of Android right when it's available with everything fully functional. The Note 2 will probably be updated a good while later since it has to go through samsung and then the carrier before it is pushed out. One gets the device that best suits their wants though, and for some that's the Note 2, nothing wrong with either decision.

At least there's the one MVNO that gives you money back for multiple lines, $20 off for four lines but the family plans that aren't unlimited work for most people. I pay net about $150 for 3 unlimited lines because I structured mine a little dfferent. 4 gig soft cap in writing, in practice I believe it's higher.

If you are a AAA member and start new service you get 10% off your monthly bill and 50.00 credit and 35 activation fee waived here is the 1–877–AAA–7494 and the link

sukimeps said:   what about the activation fee and required data fee? wouldn't this be charged already before you cancel? or are these refunded when you cancel the contract?

It does say $35 activation fee waived in limited time...

I switched my parents to the Nexus 4 and the WalMart Family Mobile plan which is t mobile. I too really wanted to love the Nexus 4 and finally dump Sprint. It would of also saved me $25 a month being on WFM. Which would more than make up for the unsubsidized phone. There's no beating the note 2 right now. I had the Nexus S on Sprint cause I love getting the latest upgrades fast but the screen size and the functionality of the note 2 can't be matched by the nexus 4.

Nexus 4 is a phone.
Note 2 is a phablet.

moolman said:   I switched my parents to the Nexus 4 and the WalMart Family Mobile plan which is t mobile. I too really wanted to love the Nexus 4 and finally dump Sprint. It would of also saved me $25 a month being on WFM. Which would more than make up for the unsubsidized phone. There's no beating the note 2 right now. I had the Nexus S on Sprint cause I love getting the latest upgrades fast but the screen size and the functionality of the note 2 can't be matched by the nexus 4.

What functions are you referring to?

jtroye32 said:   
At the end of the day, the Nexus 4 is ahead of the Note 2 for me because of the how awesomely fluid 4.2 is on it and I know I will be getting the next version of Android right when it's available with everything fully functional.

For sure, good point...but I would say Jelly Bean and Project Butter really leveled the playing field with fluidity. Devices running JB with quad core processors are smooth...and the Note 2 is no exception. Besides, 4.2 has a boatload of issues (high battery drain due to an error in it's kernel for one). Getting direct OS updates used to be a flawless experience...Google seems to have dropped the ball a bit lately, especially with 4.2.1. It's just buggy.

I feel like I'm starting an argument, so I'll shut up.

RichardF said:   Yeah, I don't get this: why are people still going on contracts instead of buying their phone outright?

I think your wrong to make blanket statements like this. I had to get away from Virgin Mobile because of lack of coverage in a few critical areas for my family.

I shopped around for AT&T and Verizon mnvo's and in the end decided it was best to get the AT&T Family Talk plan (contract). I've got 3 phones, better than the Nexus 4 (IMHO), for just under $160 a month w/ taxes and fees. Each phone has 3 Gb a month which we never get close to using. I've got LTE and I am not aware of any mnvo's offering that at this moment (I could be wrong about that). Maybe I could have a saved a few dollars by getting cheap phones and shopping around for discounts every month but it wasn't worth it to me.

Replaced my iphone 4s with the nexus 4; the reviews are right on. This nexus is a great phone.

Nexus 4 might not be the best but it's right there among the top league. I've been using several latest top-dollar gadgets and I can fairly say Nexus 4 beats others in overall performance although there's hardly one single trait that this phone wins hands down. Again, if you want a complete, overall feel and experience of top of the line smart phones, Nexus 4 is the one. And it's considerably cheaper. Google might be losing money on those phone in hope that users will purchase contents through them in the long run.

Being content provider is now the new front line. Only Apple, Amazon and Google can fight in battlegrounds like that. Samsung, LG, HTC and all other little players don't matter in this race. Amazon will release a phone pretty soon and xphone is on the horizon, I am excited to see what tech 2013 can bring us.

dennisfuller said:   RichardF said:   Yeah, I don't get this: why are people still going on contracts instead of buying their phone outright?

I think your wrong to make blanket statements like this. I had to get away from Virgin Mobile because of lack of coverage in a few critical areas for my family.

I shopped around for AT&T and Verizon mnvo's and in the end decided it was best to get the AT&T Family Talk plan (contract). I've got 3 phones, better than the Nexus 4 (IMHO), for just under $160 a month w/ taxes and fees. Each phone has 3 Gb a month which we never get close to using. I've got LTE and I am not aware of any mnvo's offering that at this moment (I could be wrong about that). Maybe I could have a saved a few dollars by getting cheap phones and shopping around for discounts every month but it wasn't worth it to me.

Can't agree more. It may ultimately be carriers putting their throats on MVNOs, but there is no competitive pre-paid offering for a family plan with unlimited text+talk, and at least 2 GB per line.

For a single line, I can see going pre-paid. Depending on the situation, I can see 2 lines on a pre-paid. But for 3 lines? No reason whatsoever to go pre-paid.

Best example is "The 55" from PagePlus. 55 x 3 = 165. I won't assume a discount as I wouldn't assume any discounts on Verizon Wireless. 6 GB Unlimited Share = $200 month.

It would appear you're saving $35/month, but once you add in costs for new equipment (eg - getting an iPhone 4S at $49-499 on contract vs buying an iPhone 4S for PagePlus at $299-$499), it's close to break even. And with postpaid, you get the benefit of customer support, roaming and price protection over your 24 month contract.

outtawhack said:   dennisfuller said:   RichardF said:   Yeah, I don't get this: why are people still going on contracts instead of buying their phone outright?

Can't agree more. It may ultimately be carriers putting their throats on MVNOs, but there is no competitive pre-paid offering for a family plan with unlimited text+talk, and at least 2 GB per line.

For a single line, I can see going pre-paid. Depending on the situation, I can see 2 lines on a pre-paid. But for 3 lines? No reason whatsoever to go pre-paid.

Best example is "The 55" from PagePlus. 55 x 3 = 165. I won't assume a discount as I wouldn't assume any discounts on Verizon Wireless. 6 GB Unlimited Share = $200 month.

It would appear you're saving $35/month, but once you add in costs for new equipment (eg - getting an iPhone 4S at $49-499 on contract vs buying an iPhone 4S for PagePlus at $299-$499), it's close to break even. And with postpaid, you get the benefit of customer support, roaming and price protection over your 24 month contract.

Usage needs are not the same for everyone. We're not loquacious. T-Mobile's $30/month pre-paid smartphone plan (100 minutes talk, unlimited text, and 5GB web) works great for us. That's a savings of $75 per month over what your family is spending on 3 phones.

kshell said:   outtawhack said:   dennisfuller said:   RichardF said:   Yeah, I don't get this: why are people still going on contracts instead of buying their phone outright?

Usage needs are not the same for everyone. We're not loquacious. T-Mobile's $30/month pre-paid smartphone plan (100 minutes talk, unlimited text, and 5GB web) works great for us. That's a savings of $75 per month over what your family is spending on 3 phones.

I'm not describing your usage needs - I clearly stated family plan with unlimited text AND talk. Most people need a phone with more than 100 minutes of talk time each month, and T-Mobile's pre-paid coverage is not even an option in many metropolitan areas (like mine, and I live in a large city).

kshell said:   Usage needs are not the same for everyone. We're not loquacious. T-Mobile's $30/month pre-paid smartphone plan (100 minutes talk, unlimited text, and 5GB web) works great for us. That's a savings of $75 per month over what your family is spending on 3 phones.

If T-Mobile meets your needs, that's an awesome deal. The point being made is that we all have different needs and sometimes those different needs leads you to getting a better deal with a contract phone. I was paying $25 a month for 300 minutes/unlimited data with Virgin Mobile and that didn't meet my needs since my kids didn't have coverage at their school where they would most likely need to make a call to us.

coolbreeze said:   jtroye32 said:   
At the end of the day, the Nexus 4 is ahead of the Note 2 for me because of the how awesomely fluid 4.2 is on it and I know I will be getting the next version of Android right when it's available with everything fully functional.

For sure, good point...but I would say Jelly Bean and Project Butter really leveled the playing field with fluidity. Devices running JB with quad core processors are smooth...and the Note 2 is no exception. Besides, 4.2 has a boatload of issues (high battery drain due to an error in it's kernel for one). Getting direct OS updates used to be a flawless experience...Google seems to have dropped the ball a bit lately, especially with 4.2.1. It's just buggy.

I feel like I'm starting an argument, so I'll shut up.

Couldn't agree more about project butter and Jelly Bean. It brought the polish and feel Android needed to compliment it's unrivaled functionality. Now we have the best of both worlds.

I personally haven't had the problems others had with battery/wake lock issues running stock for a couple of months, but know it is a significant enough occurance to warrant the concern. I'm now running a slightly modified version of stock with a custom stock kernel modified to allow changes to gamma and color values so I can fix Googles botched calibration of the screen.. now it's truly one of the best screens I've ever seen on a device. Hopefully all of the issues are addressed in the next revision of Android because they are pretty much all software related and can/should be mended.

is it really okay to just buy and then cancel the contract? its normal and easy? I want this phone but dont want to go in contract. Any views suggestions?/

interesting scheme. I would like to see a break down of the numbers. Not sure if the op is including the first month of data in his numbers?
I would be game if the numbers prove it true. wheres my calculator?

I chatted with a T-Mobile agent on their website today and yes, they said you could buy it for $49.99 (really $99.00 but you get a $50 mail in rebate) and they are offering the sim chip for $1 (normally $40 she said).....so it seems like a great deal. And to the person that said some people need more than 100 minutes then you can also get the $30 a month plan that has 1500/texts......data is capped much lower but there is that option.

dimebang said:   is it really okay to just buy and then cancel the contract? its normal and easy? I want this phone but dont want to go in contract. Any views suggestions?/

Well there is a chance you may get blacklisted by T-Mobile. I am. Which is why I cannot take advantage of this deal.

fatxman said:   dimebang said:   is it really okay to just buy and then cancel the contract? its normal and easy? I want this phone but dont want to go in contract. Any views suggestions?/

So how does this work: you cancel outside the return/ remorse period, you pay prorated service + ETF + activation + phone + taxes on all of this.

You cancel within the return period, to cancel the contract you have to return the phone, in which case you'll still pay prorated charges + activation fee + taxes.

What am I missing?

avash said:   tydas said:   Wonder why Verizon does not offer this phone? wake up people!!! vote with your pocketbook!!!!

Perhaps has something to do with the Nexus 4 being a GSM device and Verizon, I dunno, being on CDMA?

It's like saying cars with gas engines should be offered with the option to also run on Diesel?

I guess is Verizon uses LTE for 4G and this phone does not (officially) support LTE.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014