• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Toshiba Satellite 17.3" Laptop w/ 3rd Gen Intel Core i3, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel HD Graphics and Windows 8 @ Best Buy - $399.99

Free Shipping!

• 17.3" LED Back-lit HD Wide Screen LCD Display (1600 x 900)
  • Intel Core i3 3rd Generation Dual-Core i3-3120M Processor (3MB Cache)
  • 4GB DDR3 Memory (Up to 16GB)
  • 500GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
  • 1 USB 3.0 Port and 3 USB 2.0 Ports
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • 5.7 Pounds
  • WIreless N
  • Windows 8 64-Bit
  • 6-Cell Battery

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Member Summary

Toshiba Satellite 17.3" Laptop w/ 3rd Gen Intel Core i3, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel HD Graphics and Windows 8
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Sorry but I'm changing my vote to red. Really disappointed....was thrilled about this one.

Ordered one over the weekend, ... (more)

lordoffire (Feb. 14, 2013 @ 9:08p) |

I've been eyeing this Toshiba model since it was shown as "COMING SOON" on bestbuy.com. But I bought the HP g7-2235dx(r... (more)

View (Feb. 15, 2013 @ 9:18a) |

Irrelevant now. Out of stock *everywhere* and unavailable online.

aoverify (Feb. 24, 2013 @ 9:46a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

that's the exact same one they did for BF. must be the one i returned. would've kept it if it had win7.

in for one, going to pick it up soon, hopefully

(what got me was the great benchmark for the CPU (3500+) and the keyboard, which doesn't look like a chiclet style...would have liked better graphics but it would be more money-efficient to put that towards a desktop card instead...the HD can be upgraded if needed, it should be fine for me....RAM isn't an issue either, upgradeable very cheap...there are also tons of drivers listed for this, I plan to install win7 instead (if you do, MAKE AN IMAGE OF THE ORIGINAL SYSTEM JUST IN CASE))

Nevermind

SteelRing said:   that's the exact same one they did for BF. must be the one i returned. would've kept it if it had win7.

I'm on my second W8 laptop (I found a deal that was too good to pass up, I prefer W7 too) and using Windows 8 Start Button which creates a start button and boots automatically into desktop mode - makes it very usable. And I can use the live tiles for more fun things.

I bought one of these week before Xmas and it's a decent laptop performance-wise. My biggest concern however is that it randomly shut down twice recently, and once locked up while playing a game...

I got one a few months back & the HD fried, I took it back to Best buy & got the money back. Then I got a Ipad 4 on BF from them for $439.

Beware of the blue screen, it's the beginning of the end. If the computer starts freezing up, you'll be seeing it soon.

I came close to getting one of these Toshiba laptops a few weeks back but I can't stand the rough trackpad. It's like running your finger over sandpaper. HP has the same type of trackpads.

How is this compared to this one . I know it is a refur, but price is $50 cheaper

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+17.3%22+Refurbished+La...

Yea, got it several months ago, same price, seems to be doing fine..

Biggest draw back, is the Win8..went dual boot with 7 and does much better.

S105dude said:   SteelRing said:   that's the exact same one they did for BF. must be the one i returned. would've kept it if it had win7.

I'm on my second W8 laptop (I found a deal that was too good to pass up, I prefer W7 too) and using Windows 8 Start Button which creates a start button and boots automatically into desktop mode - makes it very usable. And I can use the live tiles for more fun things.

start button is the least of my grief... having to login using microsoft account from the welcome screen and for every application then on must be from the store, no thanks... sure you can force not to do the microblow account but it's gonna nag you every other minute for it and all the inconveniences that come because they punish you for not using the microblow account (coz they can't track your data and mine it for their profit). to me all it did is really moving people from the typical windows experience to the walled garden environment of the white fruit, and if i need to be in the walled garden i definitely choose the white fruit over this bullsh1t whitefruit wannabe.

tomatoes never really took off as a hand-fruit....

I just checked it during lunch break. it looks cheap and the touchpad and keyboard are both subpar. Speaker is probably cheap too. The $429 Toshiba is much better though slightly slower by 100mhz. IMO I prefer the HP g7 but have to sacrifice CPU performance by 15%-20% or so.

Be sure to check if these laptops use the Broadcom 4313 series wireless adapter. You will probably want to stay far away from it. The HP laptops also limit which cards can be installed in them. Do a quick search for information on the 4313 cards before you buy.

don't we have like 30 days to take it back?

Can some experts please comment on this comparison ?

thevshopper said:   How is this compared to this one . I know it is a refur, but price is $50 cheaper

thevshopper said:   Can some experts please comment on this comparison ?

lesser cpu, better graphics, one less USB

if you're okay with refurbished, it's fine

lesser cpu ? How much lesser ? Are you sure ? Some reports on the net indicate that A8 is compatible to i5 .

thevshopper said:   lesser cpu ? How much lesser ? Are you sure ? Some reports on the net indicate that A8 is compatible to i5 .
check the benchmarks

uhmmm...no

Does BB accept Staples coupons? PLMK, thank you!

lordoffire said:   thevshopper said:   lesser cpu ? How much lesser ? Are you sure ? Some reports on the net indicate that A8 is compatible to i5 .
check the benchmarks
uhmmm...no

I guess he meant comparable. No they are not comparable. The A8 has a stronger graphics card. (Still not anywhere close to a discrete, dedicated card but better than the Intel integrated GPUs) So for a low end laptop without graphics GPU, AMD A8 could provide better gaming experience if the game is heavily dependent on GPU performance but not too demanding on CPU. But the I5 has much stronger CPU processing power.
The performance varies depending on which game you want to play.

thevshopper said:   Can some experts please comment on this comparison ?

thevshopper said:   How is this compared to this one . I know it is a refur, but price is $50 cheaper

I bought from Microcenter the 640GB version of this for $399. The keyboard is much nicer than this $399 C875-S7103's(still not any where close to my Thinkpad's but well even Lenovo is discontinuing this.)

Comparison side by side based on my visit today and some online reviews:

CPU: Toshiba wins by 20% or so
Display: Toshiba's is brighter than HP's (assuming Toshiba did not downgrade this model in particular.)
Keyboard: HP has a better keyboard which is actually similar to the keyboard of the $429 Toshiba
Speakers: HP has Dolby and Altec Lansing, likely better
GPU: HP wins 25% or so but could be offset by slower CPU for games that require stronger CPUs
HDD: Both have VERY SLOW harddrives
Look and feel: Toshiba C875-S7103($399) feels cheaper than the HP g7 series laptops. But the L875-S7110($429) is somewhat comparable to the HP g7
Reliability: HP had a terrible history but not sure if it is better nowadays. Toshiba was great but support reputation is now quite questionable. I think it's a toss up.
Warranty: Toshiba(1 yr) >> HP (90 days)

By the way, I really can't stand the Windows 8 performance with those slow hard drives. I highly recommend getting an SSD if you don't require large amount of space...
A 120GB for $80 or so can make a huge difference. Otherwise, you may not be able to tell the performance difference with either because both have really slow disks.

Original Best Buy Review of the same HP model(not refurbished)
http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/7015368/hp-pavilion-17-3-laptop-...

Where do you see I5 ?

View said:   lordoffire said:   thevshopper said:   lesser cpu ? How much lesser ? Are you sure ? Some reports on the net indicate that A8 is compatible to i5 .
check the benchmarks
uhmmm...no

I guess he meant comparable. No they are not comparable. The A8 has a stronger graphics card. (Still not anywhere close to a discrete, dedicated card but better than the Intel integrated GPUs) So for a low end laptop without graphics GPU, AMD A8 could provide better gaming experience if the game is heavily dependent on GPU performance but not too demanding on CPU. But the I5 has much stronger CPU processing power.
The performance varies depending on which game you want to play.

Also I found that the hard drives are quite different though both 640GB. Toshiba uses HTS547564A9E384 (Hitachi Travelstar 5K750) HP uses SAMSUNG Spinpoint M8 ST640LM001/HN-M640MBB. Benchmark says Samsung is 20% faster. Though, it's a big YMMV depending on the type of tasks you run.

Sorry but I'm changing my vote to red. Really disappointed....was thrilled about this one.

Ordered one over the weekend, went to pick it up. First looked at the floor model and unfortunately there was a LOT of flex. To the point where it's pretty visible.

Opened the order to check and sure enough it was the same. Returned in less than 5 mins.

Employees felt bad about it...at least we didn't have to make another trip to return it later.

In short, THE KEYBOARD SUCKS...DON'T BUY IT, WAIT FOR THE NEXT DEAL

lordoffire said:   

In short, THE KEYBOARD SUCKS...DON'T BUY IT, WAIT FOR THE NEXT DEAL

I've been eyeing this Toshiba model since it was shown as "COMING SOON" on bestbuy.com. But I bought the HP g7-2235dx(refurbished) from Microcenter over the weekend -- same as:
The Toshiba showed up on Sunday and I decided to take a look because the I3 has 20% higher benchmark scores. Like you said, the keyboard sucks and the touchpad was not great either.
ALso the speaker on the Toshiba appears to be a cheap one. (See my previous comparison for details.)
Though, I thought we could have gotten this HP for $50 less:

It appears to be the same on all specs except for the HDD being 500GB instead of 640GB.

My wife is quite happy with the HP g7-2235dx. It looks like new and performs well enough to her standard.
The only drawback is that HP only gives 90 days warranty. I bought with a Mastercard so I think I'm covered for 6 months.
If you use Visa or AMEX, they may cover the warranty up to possibly an additional year depending on your program.

Irrelevant now. Out of stock *everywhere* and unavailable online.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014