• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.staples.com/Surface-Windows-8-Pro-64GB/product_147834

Coupon code "99279" = $75 OFF a Windows PC or Tablet

$899 - $75 = $824 (with free shipping)

Get em while they're available!

Staples
See Staples promo codes that earn Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

surface pro (13.98kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
This looks like a product with potential, but Microsoft's track record in putting out a product and then letting it rot ... (more)

tlwisner (Feb. 15, 2013 @ 1:17p) |

Invalid coupon. Dead online.

EDIT: I didn't realize there was over 1 page of comments so this has been said before...

Al3xK (Feb. 15, 2013 @ 1:26p) |

I think its fairly safe, there are at least 5 other major vendors making similar products. All MS is doing is raising t... (more)

RedWolfe01 (Feb. 21, 2013 @ 10:19p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Nice deal, I'll wait for the $100 rebates to start rolling down the line...

Microsoft sold out of the 100 units they had nationwide right? So they are in high demand!

Not to thread crap but...

Why did this pop up on Staples under 'customers also bought'...

http://www.staples.com/Intel-PWLA8391GTBLK-Gigabit-Ethernet-10-1...

RichTJ99 said:   Not to thread crap but...

Maybe its the government, your tax dollars at work

How many people in fatwallet are planning to buy Surface Pro?
Is Surface Pro 64Gb worth 824?
Is there better options?

Only the 64gig huh? Tempting, I have to say, given the rumor that the drive is just an mSATA that should be easily replaceable...

They have one for pickup at my local store. Hmm.

battery life sucks, rather go for a low powered tablet like the Lenovo

I hope people know that 64GB is 23 GB out of the BOX with software installed.

nkling said:   I hope people know that 64GB is 23 GB out of the BOX with software installed.
3 second google tells you that. You can offload the backup stuff onto another drive, freeing up a lot of space.

It's still a small storage space, so plan on using Skydrive/external storage I guess. I had a 64gig Air and never once had an issue with space, but YM will V.

Edit: I can do the in-store pickup...can I easily use the $75 off coupon in-store? Or should I prepare for "sorry sir, this doesn't apply to the Surface Pro since it just came out" even though it can be added online?

RichTJ99 said:   Not to thread crap but...

I wish Staples had 110% PM. Then we take this item and price match to another reasonable store for $30, and get back $58.

You can use this coupon if you want to purchase one in-store:

http://reg.e.staples.com/c/s/tagfrm/hBRF$CKB7SHGCB8wwxlNtvfTlxL/...

coolbreeze said:   nkling said:   I hope people know that 64GB is 23 GB out of the BOX with software installed.
3 second google tells you that. You can offload the backup stuff onto another drive, freeing up a lot of space.

It's still a small storage space, so plan on using Skydrive/external storage I guess. I had a 64gig Air and never once had an issue with space, but YM will V.

Edit: I can do the in-store pickup...can I easily use the $75 off coupon in-store? Or should I prepare for "sorry sir, this doesn't apply to the Surface Pro since it just came out" even though it can be added online?
The coupon specifically says for In-Store purchases, so you shouldn't have any problem. Of course this IS Staples we're talking about...

And yes, you can offload the system recovery tools to free up another 10GB. My understanding, though, is that the 64GB has 32GB of storage space (depends on how you're measuring it --decimal vs binary).

letsgojets15 said:   You can use this coupon if you want to purchase one in-store:

Link works now, NM.

I have the same one but it says flat out "Excludes Microsoft Surface Products" on the front...

My biggest complaint is that the keyboard/cover costs extra. If they threw that in, I have a feeling the sales would more than cover the cost of doing that. Of course, early adopters don't care about price as much, and MS knows this.

coolbreeze said:   letsgojets15 said:   You can use this coupon if you want to purchase one in-store:

Link works now, NM.

I have the same one but it says flat out "Excludes Microsoft Surface Products" on the front...
You might be right. The coupon .PDF posted on SD has probably been PShopped to remove the line that says, "Excludes Microsoft Surface products. Item nos. 130406, 130407, 130427, 147834"

I like a good deal as much as anyone, but dishonesty and fraud are not worth it.

my 2 cents -> 64 GB version has ~ 29 GB free hard disk space .. not sure if it would be worth

frett said:   coolbreeze said:   letsgojets15 said:   You can use this coupon if you want to purchase one in-store:

Link works now, NM.

You might be right. The coupon .PDF posted on SD has probably been PShopped to remove the line that says, "Excludes Microsoft Surface products. Item nos. 130406, 130407, 130427, 147834"

I like a good deal as much as anyone, but dishonesty and fraud are not worth it.

Well, I do have a printout of the online discount showing as valid, so I do have a case if I want to argue.

At this point, I'm struggling a bit too much to buy something that I probably don't absolutely need. Maybe I'll go to Stapl3s and give it a go, if they deny the coupon, I'll walk out and cancel my online order too. It's a sign!

Buy this if you ONLY want to run Windows 8 and nothing else. Not older versions of Windows, not Linux. It will only run Windows 8 and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you have advanced computing skills on the level of an engineer.

Unlike the iPad, you can pop a MicroSD card into the Surface Pro to increase storage up to another 64 GB.

In addition it has a full USB port so you can hook up external drives to it.

The thing that iPad owners don't get is that the Surface Pro is an open architecture that lets you do things like this while the iPad is a closed proprietary architecture. Printing is easy, running any application is easy. It just works like a regular computer that you're used to with no artificial barriers.

greling said:   Buy this if you ONLY want to run Windows 8 and nothing else. Not older versions of Windows, not Linux. It will only run Windows 8 and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you have advanced computing skills on the level of an engineer.

As compared to the iPad which lets you run all kinds of operating systems (sarcasm)

The things people find to complain about are unbelievable.

phatkrazy said:   How many people in fatwallet are planning to buy Surface Pro?
Is Surface Pro 64Gb worth 824?
Is there better options?

I'm sure I will -- eventually -- but I'd like to wait for the next gen intel cpus hoping the lower power requirements eliminate the need for fans and increase battery life.

Now THIS is a laptop replacement. Best tablet on the market hands down at the moment.

FinancialAnalyst said:   greling said:   Buy this if you ONLY want to run Windows 8 and nothing else. Not older versions of Windows, not Linux. It will only run Windows 8 and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you have advanced computing skills on the level of an engineer.

As compared to the iPad which lets you run all kinds of operating systems (sarcasm)

The things people find to complain about are unbelievable.

At least an iPad can be rooted.

Nice try, but comparing a touch-screen ultrabook to a tablet accessory, is like comparing a laptop to a smartphone.

This is worse than outrage that says you can no longer legally unlock your phone.

It's anti-competitive. And pretty much every PC that runs Windows 8 OEM will soon be affected.

It's the equivalent of Time Warner telling Sony that you cannot use your TV on any other provider and forcing them to make their TVs that way.

FinancialAnalyst said:   Unlike the iPad, you can pop a MicroSD card into the Surface Pro to increase storage up to another 64 GB.

Yes, add another $60 to the price tag to go above the skimpy 29GB available disk space.

jtroye32 said:   Now THIS is a laptop replacement. Best tablet on the market hands down at the moment.

Hmmm, better than a nexus 10? Resolution less, Price more....I am going to assume heat and battery life will be an issue with an i5 in it.

i wouldn't waste money on this. it seems to be a product made from microsoft's indecision to make a tablet or laptop..

junk

Pimpee said:   i wouldn't waste money on this. it seems to be a product made from microsoft's indecision to make a tablet or laptop..
It may not make sense for you, but, for many of us, the Surface Pro is the first useful tablet. It has a form, girth, and battery life to entertain and inform, but add a keyboard and you are sitting at a full fledged computer. I work in Microsoft Access and other programs that only work with Windows. And it's not just a tablet running windows with a keyboard and mouse. One of the magnetic keyboards is a real keyboard.

I can see this thing being my all-the-time computer. Get up in the morning and set it on the desk where it recognizes bt keyboard, mouse, minitors, and disks then autoconnects to my wireless network. Pick it up and listen to podcasts on the commute to the train station via cell network. Hop on the train where it recognizes and attaches to the metro's wireless network so I can check email and fatwallet.com. At work it settles in with the peripherals on my desk -- until I head out to a meeting or the shop floor.

This is really the beginning of the next big thing.

ezwrighter said:   jtroye32 said:   Now THIS is a laptop replacement. Best tablet on the market hands down at the moment.

Hmmm, better than a nexus 10? Resolution less, Price more....I am going to assume heat and battery life will be an issue with an i5 in it.

Two very different devices. About the only thing they have in common is they are rectangle slabs.

If you don't know the advantages a full OS (Windows) has over an Android tablet, then I'd recommend not buying either until you better understand your own needs.

I'm still on the fence about picking the one I reserved up from Staples. It's the 64gig obviously...and I'd get it right now if the mSATA was confirmed to be a standard, removable one. I have a strong feeling it's soldered to the main board though...

Amazing that even in 2013 Microsoft can not make a tablet that people want. $824 and no keyboard....seriously I'm expecting a $99 deal in a few months

Amazon seems to have stated this crap. And the "also bought" get more weird by the week. Newegg is also doing
a similar thing....and the list of copycats goes on. They are only driving away the public.

Too funny

robofatwallet2 said:   Amazing that even in 2013 Microsoft can not make a tablet that people want. $824 and no keyboard....seriously I'm expecting a $99 deal in a few months
I don't think MS wants to be in the tab business. They have an unusual situation where they are releasing a touch operating system but there is no hardware to make it compelling. So, they make some compelling hardware. People react to it and, if things go well, other vendors jump on board.

Touch really does not work on a touch laptop. It's a novelty, but you do not need it. Pull the keyboard off the surface, and Windows 8 makes sense.

jtroye32 said:   Now THIS is a laptop replacement. Best tablet on the market hands down at the moment.

its a clumbsy laptop and too big for a tablet.

This device is clearly not for everyone. But I can't wait to replace both my iPad and laptop with it. Comparing it to Android only devices is hardly relevant. This is a full blown computer that can emulate an Andoid device very well with Bluestacks. Can a Nexus run Windows software? With Virtualbox/VMware it can handle plenty of other Operating systems. This is a level of freedom completely different from the walled garden approach of Apple/Google. But if you like that sort of thing then the Microsoft store is right there for you. I'm not really sure what there is not to like. I'm sure the second revision will feature better battery life. But compared to what is on the market now this thing seems great.

john398 said:   RichTJ99 said:   Not to thread crap but...

Maybe its the government, your tax dollars at work

For $607.99?

FinancialAnalyst said:   Unlike the iPad, you can pop a MicroSD card into the Surface Pro to increase storage up to another 64 GB.

In addition it has a full USB port so you can hook up external drives to it.

The thing that iPad owners don't get is that the Surface Pro is an open architecture that lets you do things like this while the iPad is a closed proprietary architecture. Printing is easy, running any application is easy. It just works like a regular computer that you're used to with no artificial barriers.

This, although to be fair I think the iPad and the Surface (Pro) are not competitors; Each is targeted at a different group. I'm glad someone posted this though I'm tired of hearing the whiners complain about 23GB you can easily free that up to about 34-35 and MicroSD to expand another 64! No big deal at all on the storage. If you are a Windows guy/gal this is your machine, the ability to plug in and run any standard USB device just like a Windows machine is awesome ... and something iPad likely will never do.

Now I agree battery life is not the greatest and there are a few quirks but overall - for a Gen 1 product - I think Microsoft has a winner with Surface Pro. I'm holding off right now waiting for Gen 2.

QuadesFather said:   This device is clearly not for everyone. But I can't wait to replace both my iPad and laptop with it. Comparing it to Android only devices is hardly relevant. This is a full blown computer that can emulate an Andoid device very well with Bluestacks. Can a Nexus run Windows software? With Virtualbox/VMware it can handle plenty of other Operating systems. This is a level of freedom completely different from the walled garden approach of Apple/Google. But if you like that sort of thing then the Microsoft store is right there for you. I'm not really sure what there is not to like. I'm sure the second revision will feature better battery life. But compared to what is on the market now this thing seems great.

LOL good luck running Virtualbox/VMware or any other Virtulization platform on Windows 8 Pro. Win8 APIs block all direct hardware interaction so no Hyper-V support that most OS virtulization platforms require. You are also forgetting that Win8 itself is a virtualized OS so even native Win 8 apps don't have direct access to any core hardware like in previous Win OSs.

Skipping 77 Messages...
tlwisner said:   This looks like a product with potential, but Microsoft's track record in putting out a product and then letting it rot before it has a chance to catch on is a bit scary anymore. It looks like MS sees PC sales levelling off and Tablet sales going up so they want in to the Tablet market. Good idea. What is the tabley market that has boomed from near zero to widely adopted? iPads. Love 'em, hate 'em - it is just a fact. The tablet market is iPads and a few Android tablets fighting for traction (and available at Big Lots for $59).
Microsoft needs an angle to get into this market. Is a $900 tablet running full Windows 8 Pro really the way to go? That will be a nice choice for some people but the majority of tablet user don't want to spend that much and just want e-mail, facebook, and other limited apps. Nobody buys a tablet to model nuclear reactions and the "I want it to do serious work" is sad in a day and age where people who do serious work use multiple large monitors, usable keyboards and mointing devices that are much more exact than your fat finger.
This will be a good item for some but I fear it will go the way of the Zune. Just my un-expert opinion and I guess I felt like letting you know since I am sitting in front of large monitors and a keyboard that makes typing very easy even with my fat fingers.

I think its fairly safe, there are at least 5 other major vendors making similar products. All MS is doing is raising the bar by example, its what Intel should have done when it introduced the Ultrabook format. What we got when the format launched was a whole slew of machines that met the absolute minimum spec that Intel established to certify it. Since they are sealed you can't even order more memory or a decent display. (I could order 1920x1080 displays 8 years ago from Dell on their better laptops)

One decently priced reference device is a better market guide than a minimum spec.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014