• Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
OOS online

Edit: Back in stock!

QuadesFather said:   Wine Is Not an Emulator! WINE software on an Arm architecture would still require source code to be recompiled. This won't help me run x86 Windows software, just the non-existent Arm Windows software. I think WINE is a very cool piece of software. But it ain't magic. And even if it was, Android tablets are still orders of magnitude less powerful than a Core i5. That's fine for an entertainment device, I love my iPad. But for a convergence device that I'll use to replace my laptop I need full power.

Don't speak too soon.

I've played quite a bit with the SPro, but find that the clamshell add-on keyboard is a better form factor for me. Having to find a stable base to use the keyboard/prop up the kickstand on is more of a nuisance than jacking a tablet into a dock. That being said, the Windows convertible product space really did need this swift kick in the pants.

I'm also constantly surprised at how many people don't actually use a PC to *work* on that think they know what those of us that do need/want. Trying to do something as basic as sort a spreadsheet row on an iPad is a joke.

FinancialAnalyst said:   greling said:   Buy this if you ONLY want to run Windows 8 and nothing else. Not older versions of Windows, not Linux. It will only run Windows 8 and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you have advanced computing skills on the level of an engineer.

As compared to the iPad which lets you run all kinds of operating systems (sarcasm)

The things people find to complain about are unbelievable.

MS officially said in one of those conferences recently that the boot loader is open. Linux will run.
My only trouble is that the touch will only be worth is with the store apps anyway.
Pros: Run anything you already have + Store Apps. Pretty light IMHO for something that run Windows.
Cons: Bad battery life (only further iterations will fix this along with weight reduction). Example: iPad 3 heavier than iPad 2.
Everything else is personal preference.

Pimpee said:   Microsoft Surface Pro Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)

The battery is not soldered to the motherboard, so at least no soldering is required to replace it.

The SSD is removable but you risk killing your tablet by trying to open it.

There are over 90 screws inside this device. We're proponents of mechanical fasteners, but this number is a tad crazy.

The display assembly (comprising of a fused glass and LCD) is extremely difficult to remove/replace.

Tons of adhesive hold everything in place, including the display and battery.

Unless you perform the opening procedure 100% correctly, chances are you'll shear one of the four cables surrounding the display perimeter.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+Teardown/12...


I am guessing tablets are inherently difficult to repair, given they are way freakin' smaller than your desktop or even laptop computer. The iPad 2 got a 2/10, so I think most of these are likely on par with each other.

Pimpee said:   Microsoft Surface Pro Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)

The battery is not soldered to the motherboard, so at least no soldering is required to replace it.

The SSD is removable but you risk killing your tablet by trying to open it.

There are over 90 screws inside this device. We're proponents of mechanical fasteners, but this number is a tad crazy.

The display assembly (comprising of a fused glass and LCD) is extremely difficult to remove/replace.

Tons of adhesive hold everything in place, including the display and battery.

Unless you perform the opening procedure 100% correctly, chances are you'll shear one of the four cables surrounding the display perimeter.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+Teardown/12...

I once took an old non-working laptop apart to see what the problem was. Turns out there were small burn marks on one part of the motherboard. Something had shorted out and fried the motherboard. I was almost relieved that I didn't have to try and put the thing back together.

comsci03 said:   You heard of Samsung ATIV 700T.

fairlypricedstuff said:   This is not supposed to be an iPad or Android tablet, this is a fully functional tablet computer, there is no device and to my knowledge to date has not been a tablet PC with this spec, form factor & weight, including a Wacom digitizer for the price, even the RRP is a great deal. I am a tablet PC enthusiast and have been using them for years. this is a hot deal for a very promising device, which based my hands on experience in BB & Staples shows its a really good tablet PC. The surface pro is my dream computer.

I wish everyone would stop comparing this workhorse of a machine to Ipads & $300 android tablets (not just here, but also in all the tech news outlets/blogs). This is not even in the same league, totally different class of machine.



I have now, thanks a lot. The Samsung ATIV 700T is a promising device too, but priced higher than the Surface Pro. Can't wait for these units to drop in price. I hope MS can execute this properly, but if these devices go the way of the Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC) I cannot wait to scoop them up marked down

I feel like I wandered into CNET. This is a deal forum, and some folks here want to see DEALS. If you aren't interested in THIS one (which is the only disount I have seen anywhere for Surface) then just keep moving on.

The funny thing is that all the hater vitriol on the forums for Surface isn't used against the Samsung ATIV 700T which is virtually identical except for its screen is an inch larger. Samsung beat Intel to market by a few months.

Never understood why the Apple Fanatics feel the need to crap all over any other device that comes along. (I love apple hardware and design, detest their infrastructure and walled gardens)

not like this was a fat deal in the first place, enjoy for those who blew their kids savings on this brick.

The 64GB just isn't enough room for me to be comfortable at this price point. If this was the 128 price +sd cards, then we would be talking. My inner FW persona thinks ideally the pro would have been released closer to the RT price, and the RT cheaper than the ipad equivalent. Sales would have been unstoppable.

Having owned an RT for a few months and putting hands on the Pro, the Pro screams. It makes the RT feel underpowered at best. It is a bit heavy for one handed use, but the screen looks fantastic, albeit too small for me to use as a primary machine without some sort of dock + monitor. No plugging in an hdmi cord everytime is not a dock.

The deal breakers for now are the poor battery life combined with a proprietary charger. I've run out with my RT without a charger enough times to know that it will happen constantly with the Pro. I can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't use some more common charge type (mini/micro usb), despite understanding the difficulty in engineering that solution. Just give it a dock that supports multiple viewing angles (and stores juice to supplement the battery for long flights), and has ports so that this could do the processing when docked from home, tablet at the coffee shop, docked at work, and it would be killer.

I am terribly excited about the future of this design, just not this version. How long til v2 using WinBlue!!!! Or at least Haswell and a dock!

cake97 said:   The 64GB just isn't enough room for me to be comfortable at this price point. If this was the 128 price +sd cards, then we would be talking. My inner FW persona thinks ideally the pro would have been released closer to the RT price, and the RT cheaper than the ipad equivalent. Sales would have been unstoppable.

Having owned an RT for a few months and putting hands on the Pro, the Pro screams. It makes the RT feel underpowered at best. It is a bit heavy for one handed use, but the screen looks fantastic, albeit too small for me to use as a primary machine without some sort of dock + monitor. No plugging in an hdmi cord everytime is not a dock.

The deal breakers for now are the poor battery life combined with a proprietary charger. I've run out with my RT without a charger enough times to know that it will happen constantly with the Pro. I can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't use some more common charge type (mini/micro usb), despite understanding the difficulty in engineering that solution. Just give it a dock that supports multiple viewing angles (and stores juice to supplement the battery for long flights), and has ports so that this could do the processing when docked from home, tablet at the coffee shop, docked at work, and it would be killer.

I am terribly excited about the future of this design, just not this version. How long til v2 using WinBlue!!!! Or at least Haswell and a dock!

Well said. In fact, you nailed my reasons for passing.

Haswell or bust!

clb4g9 said:   Pimpee said:   Microsoft Surface Pro Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)

The battery is not soldered to the motherboard, so at least no soldering is required to replace it.

The SSD is removable but you risk killing your tablet by trying to open it.

There are over 90 screws inside this device. We're proponents of mechanical fasteners, but this number is a tad crazy.

The display assembly (comprising of a fused glass and LCD) is extremely difficult to remove/replace.

Tons of adhesive hold everything in place, including the display and battery.

Unless you perform the opening procedure 100% correctly, chances are you'll shear one of the four cables surrounding the display perimeter.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+Teardown/12...


I am guessing tablets are inherently difficult to repair, given they are way freakin' smaller than your desktop or even laptop computer. The iPad 2 got a 2/10, so I think most of these are likely on par with each other.


The whole goal is to lock you into Microsoft, right? I'm think that they'll want you to use and pay for their exclusive repair services as well.

I bought the Asus vivo tab and just returned it. Im waiting for my refund to come through before i get something else. I really liked Windows 8 but the atom processor was just too slow. I was going to get another laptop but seeing that this has the i5 processor, i will take a serious look at it. I really liked the digitizer on the vivo tab butit didn't shock in the tablet, are you kidding me. I never had it when I wanted to use it.

You can say what you want about the surface Pro. I'm sitting here writing this with my cool pen just enjoying the heck out of it. Everything I have installed on it just runs and runs fast. This is in a league of its own, an iPad is like a kids toy compared to the Surface Pro. The Surface Pro is a real computer, capable of doing the work of a ultra notebook and tablet all in one and it does it nicely. If you get this you will fall in love.

wizwor said:   Pimpee said:   i wouldn't waste money on this. it seems to be a product made from microsoft's indecision to make a tablet or laptop..
It may not make sense for you, but, for many of us, the Surface Pro is the first useful tablet. It has a form, girth, and battery life to entertain and inform, but add a keyboard and you are sitting at a full fledged computer. I work in Microsoft Access and other programs that only work with Windows. And it's not just a tablet running windows with a keyboard and mouse. One of the magnetic keyboards is a real keyboard.

I can see this thing being my all-the-time computer. Get up in the morning and set it on the desk where it recognizes bt keyboard, mouse, minitors, and disks then autoconnects to my wireless network. Pick it up and listen to podcasts on the commute to the train station via cell network. Hop on the train where it recognizes and attaches to the metro's wireless network so I can check email and fatwallet.com. At work it settles in with the peripherals on my desk -- until I head out to a meeting or the shop floor.

This is really the beginning of the next big thing.


He said girth

Agree with the general comment though. Potentially a seamless experience from server to PC to Surface to Lumia. MS has a pretty interesting idea in play here.

coolbreeze said:   Well said. In fact, you nailed my reasons for passing.

Haswell or bust!


Yep. That's when it really comes together.

cake97 said:   The 64GB just isn't enough room for me to be comfortable at this price point. If this was the 128 price +sd cards, then we would be talking. My inner FW persona thinks ideally the pro would have been released closer to the RT price, and the RT cheaper than the ipad equivalent. Sales would have been unstoppable.

Having owned an RT for a few months and putting hands on the Pro, the Pro screams. It makes the RT feel underpowered at best. It is a bit heavy for one handed use, but the screen looks fantastic, albeit too small for me to use as a primary machine without some sort of dock + monitor. No plugging in an hdmi cord everytime is not a dock.

The deal breakers for now are the poor battery life combined with a proprietary charger. I've run out with my RT without a charger enough times to know that it will happen constantly with the Pro. I can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't use some more common charge type (mini/micro usb), despite understanding the difficulty in engineering that solution. Just give it a dock that supports multiple viewing angles (and stores juice to supplement the battery for long flights), and has ports so that this could do the processing when docked from home, tablet at the coffee shop, docked at work, and it would be killer.

I am terribly excited about the future of this design, just not this version. How long til v2 using WinBlue!!!! Or at least Haswell and a dock!


I agree to a large extent, actually. I have my own stand that I got for my android tablet that will work for Surface as well. I think the "kickstand" was a horrible idea, except that you can close and ignore it. It would have been much smarter to have one that worked in both portrait and lanscape, even if it wasn't so simple/elagent a solution.

There isn't much of a fix for power connectors though, even my 8.9" galaxy can't pull enough power through a USB/Micro to run. Android uses a LOT less power than a Surface will. The cellular consortium standardized to the microUSB but there isn't an equivalent consortium in the PC industry to standardize this for laptops. I just carry an external battery system with high power output for my Galaxy 8.9 - but it can charge my phone as well.

What irritates me is that its a good design overall, and as long as the compromizes work for you its a solid tablet. But Team Apple clog all the news item comments about it so that you can't filter the worthwhile discussion from the Crap. I mean I don't go threadcrapping on every Apple device, I just ignore them because I don't care. But no vitriol for the Asus 121, Samsung Ativs, Lenovo and Dell equivalents.

On price its about where it should be, and its actually cheaper than the comparable tablets. (except the Acer W700 - which lacks a few features but adds a nice docking system and ends up very marginally similar in price) MS really should have gone with 128/256, but I can see the price point they were aiming for. (they wanted them below $900 and $1000 - which is why keyboards and Office were not free)

--

It cannot be really compared to any Apple device but people are determined to try anyway.

cme4oil said:   You can say what you want about the surface Pro. I'm sitting here writing this with my cool pen just enjoying the heck out of it. Everything I have installed on it just runs and runs fast. This is in a league of its own, an iPad is like a kids toy compared to the Surface Pro. The Surface Pro is a real computer, capable of doing the work of a ultra notebook and tablet all in one and it does it nicely. If you get this you will fall in love.
64 or 128? I can see a honeymoon with the 64 gig, but I can also see it wearing off quickly after photoshop, lightroom and a few other programs that call out for the pen are installed.

I want to like it, but I find myself struggling with compromises. Even 128gigs is thin for a full time machine I'd use for several years.

This is one piece of electronic I'm dying to get my hands on. I never desired an iPad, though I like them, but as an IT guy I'm drawn to this. I'm afraid I will rarely use my desktop if I get it

As a note, I'm a huge fan of Windows 8 tablets, but I found the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet II to be best suited to my needs, with incredible build quality too. Priced slightly lower, even with the optional bluetooth keyboard. I have not bought the keyboard yet, and the digitizer pen is of little use to me at this point.

Windows 8 is still not a perfect OS though. Very slick, and simple to use, but I've experienced a handful of glitches and program hangs that I imagine will be fixed in the near future. Apps are also slightly lacking at this point, but I imagine that will also change in the next few months as more people buy in.

I find myself going back to my laptop (X200s - already a very small form factor) when I need to write a long email, or filling out e-rewards surveys while sitting around. That too will likely change as I get used to tableting.

I could not get the deal. Did online chat and CSR said Surface tablets not eligible for coupon. Had her send email with conditions:
email said: Excludes Microsoft Surface products. Item nos. 130406, 130407, 130427, 147834.

Onenote said:   I could not get the deal. Did online chat and CSR said Surface tablets not eligible for coupon. Had her send email with conditions:
email said: Excludes Microsoft Surface products. Item nos. 130406, 130407, 130427, 147834.

Wish them luck with selling the 29 gig computer as you walk out empty handed. It's overpriced, even at $825 IMO.

cnIsfg said: LOL good luck running Virtualbox/VMware or any other Virtulization platform on Windows 8 Pro.

I just want to point out that the above quote is absolutely false. Windows 8 comes with a virtualization platform built-in (proof from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36188) and that VMware Workstation 9 works fine on Windows 8 Pro (proof from VMware: http://www.vmware.com/company/news/releases/vmw-workstation-0823... Sorry, the links break when going through Fatwallet's filter.

Both will even run on a Surface Pro tablet, though I don't see that would be the main point of it. If you were going to buy a Surface Pro and cnIsfg's wrong information was scaring you away, you should know what the truth is.

Sorry folks, but this thing blows any other tablet out of the water. If iPad or Android suits your needs, fine - Move along. What works for you, may not work for someone else.

With the surface pro I can do ANYTHING a PC can do, any thing an ipad can do, and through third party software run all android apps. Other than the low volume built in storage does this not meet a reasonable mark. If you are in business, or use a tablet for business, surely you have quickly discovered the limitations of your device and how they do certain things great, but literally cannot do other things. The surface pro bridges the gap between REAL computing and tablet portability. I would challenge anyone with an open mind to compare the capabilities between the Surface Pro and their Android/iOS device.

My needs are almost fully met with the surface pro. I would like a cellular modem option, a slightly larger amount of storage, and a longer lasting battery. Aside from that, if you have real business to do, you can't go wrong.

FinancialAnalyst said:   Unlike the iPad, you can pop a MicroSD card into the Surface Pro to increase storage up to another 64 GB.

In addition it has a full USB port so you can hook up external drives to it.

The thing that iPad owners don't get is that the Surface Pro is an open architecture that lets you do things like this while the iPad is a closed proprietary architecture. Printing is easy, running any application is easy. It just works like a regular computer that you're used to with no artificial barriers.


Yeah, I work in software development (and part time GameStop manager too LOL) and these things are amazing for productivity in the workplace, and productivity at home.

Sure, the iPad is a little prettier, and of course... anyone (and I mean ANYONE) can figure out how to use an iPad in a few minutes, there's nothing difficult about it... at all.

All of that being said... I use both, and... I'm currently looking to sell my iPad for another Surface, one for work, one for play. The pro is definitely a move in the right direction for MS' tablets. I wish they cost less, but I am also realistic and understand the cost of the hardware inside of them... which is something Apple and Mac fans never talk about... the fact that Apple peddles 2 year old tech off as new and exciting. I use both, I just hate how Apple has 5 dozen hipsters frothing at the mouth for every single (one!) person that happens to mention they think another product may be superior. Superior... for reasons outside of stability... Apple makes great products I don't dispute that, ever.

My 3 year old nephew makes an iPad seem as interesting and useful (seriously, he's pretty good with it!) as my co-workers consisting of software architects, Project managers, Developers and Business Analysts. On the other hand, I have other co-workers who are working exclusively on the Surface Pro, and I have been amazed several times at how easily it adapts to work as well as play, but then again I don't imagine many tablet users are looking to code java drools on their iPads either....

OOS.

So where is the keyboard?

wizwor said:   Pimpee said:   i wouldn't waste money on this. it seems to be a product made from microsoft's indecision to make a tablet or laptop..
It may not make sense for you, but, for many of us, the Surface Pro is the first useful tablet. It has a form, girth, and battery life to entertain and inform, but add a keyboard and you are sitting at a full fledged computer. I work in Microsoft Access and other programs that only work with Windows. And it's not just a tablet running windows with a keyboard and mouse. One of the magnetic keyboards is a real keyboard.

I can see this thing being my all-the-time computer. Get up in the morning and set it on the desk where it recognizes bt keyboard, mouse, minitors, and disks then autoconnects to my wireless network. Pick it up and listen to podcasts on the commute to the train station via cell network. Hop on the train where it recognizes and attaches to the metro's wireless network so I can check email and fatwallet.com. At work it settles in with the peripherals on my desk -- until I head out to a meeting or the shop floor.

This is really the beginning of the next big thing.


We have a Kindle Fire. I have an ipad3. I got a SurfaceRT.
The wife uses the KF due to the smaller screen size. The ipad sits unused a lot now. The SurfaceRT is used to the point that it needs recharged every couple of days (it has a good battery life but there are 3 of us using it so it is used a lot).

We all love how easy it is to log in with, or without, the keyboard. How the keyboard takes it from a "consumption only" type of tablet device, into a usable laptop "creative" device.

There are certainly things that we cannot do on the RT and we are now looking to add a SurfacePro to the flock since it is only marginally thicker/heavier, and one can do whatever one wants that a laptop could do.

I was a heavy skeptic on the Surface products, until I actually got one and tried it. I would bet that those that are whining/bitching/complaining about them have never used one or, if they have, only for a few minutes. I kind of regret spending $700 on my ipad3 now, as I bought it when it came out and got the 64GB version and hardly use it anymore

Onenote said:   I could not get the deal. Did online chat and CSR said Surface tablets not eligible for coupon. Had her send email with conditions:
email said: Excludes Microsoft Surface products. Item nos. 130406, 130407, 130427, 147834.


Yeah, they added that exclusion AFTER the fact. I had the coupon before they added that exclusion, and the register in store just plain refused to let the in store coupon code be used. Really annoying how they can just retroactively decide to add exclusions to coupons you've already printed out without any such exclusions something like 5 days after they sent the coupons out.

waaaaaay overpriced


handyguy said:   OOS.

So where is the keyboard?


bingo...just tried typing on one at BB and there is zero response...they haven't been spamming the "acceptable keyboard purchased separately" part

Who really cares of the performance of a virtual machine on a tablet. Are you planning on running multiple server OS's on a surface pro?

Besides, everything i've read says it's fully supported, given the processor is SLAT capable. I'm currently running MacOSX with VMware workstation on a Win8 machine w/ an i7 and no performance issues, so VMware works fine on Windows 8. This tablet has an i5 so it'll run it. Let me know when I can run Windows applications on an Ipad.

Hmm. My order on Stapl3s.com (with the $75 applied) shipped today. Now I've got to decide if I want to keep it...if only the mSATA was easier to get to.

On the fence for sure. Those who have the 64 gig, how's it going? Feeling regrets?

is the coupon still valid? i cant get it to work

semetay said:   is the coupon still valid? i cant get it to work
It was never supposed to be valid. Early orders (online and in-store) worked but Stapl3s quickly added verbiage excluding Surface products, so it died pretty quick and was YMMV.

Please voice your disagreements respectfully. Thank you.

This looks like a product with potential, but Microsoft's track record in putting out a product and then letting it rot before it has a chance to catch on is a bit scary anymore. It looks like MS sees PC sales levelling off and Tablet sales going up so they want in to the Tablet market. Good idea. What is the tabley market that has boomed from near zero to widely adopted? iPads. Love 'em, hate 'em - it is just a fact. The tablet market is iPads and a few Android tablets fighting for traction (and available at Big Lots for $59).
Microsoft needs an angle to get into this market. Is a $900 tablet running full Windows 8 Pro really the way to go? That will be a nice choice for some people but the majority of tablet user don't want to spend that much and just want e-mail, facebook, and other limited apps. Nobody buys a tablet to model nuclear reactions and the "I want it to do serious work" is sad in a day and age where people who do serious work use multiple large monitors, usable keyboards and mointing devices that are much more exact than your fat finger.
This will be a good item for some but I fear it will go the way of the Zune. Just my un-expert opinion and I guess I felt like letting you know since I am sitting in front of large monitors and a keyboard that makes typing very easy even with my fat fingers.

Invalid coupon. Dead online.

EDIT: I didn't realize there was over 1 page of comments so this has been said before...

tlwisner said:   This looks like a product with potential, but Microsoft's track record in putting out a product and then letting it rot before it has a chance to catch on is a bit scary anymore. It looks like MS sees PC sales levelling off and Tablet sales going up so they want in to the Tablet market. Good idea. What is the tabley market that has boomed from near zero to widely adopted? iPads. Love 'em, hate 'em - it is just a fact. The tablet market is iPads and a few Android tablets fighting for traction (and available at Big Lots for $59).
Microsoft needs an angle to get into this market. Is a $900 tablet running full Windows 8 Pro really the way to go? That will be a nice choice for some people but the majority of tablet user don't want to spend that much and just want e-mail, facebook, and other limited apps. Nobody buys a tablet to model nuclear reactions and the "I want it to do serious work" is sad in a day and age where people who do serious work use multiple large monitors, usable keyboards and mointing devices that are much more exact than your fat finger.
This will be a good item for some but I fear it will go the way of the Zune. Just my un-expert opinion and I guess I felt like letting you know since I am sitting in front of large monitors and a keyboard that makes typing very easy even with my fat fingers.


I think its fairly safe, there are at least 5 other major vendors making similar products. All MS is doing is raising the bar by example, its what Intel should have done when it introduced the Ultrabook format. What we got when the format launched was a whole slew of machines that met the absolute minimum spec that Intel established to certify it. Since they are sealed you can't even order more memory or a decent display. (I could order 1920x1080 displays 8 years ago from Dell on their better laptops)

One decently priced reference device is a better market guide than a minimum spec.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014