• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Samsung Galaxy SII
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
What Sprint's Vision roll-out does is integrates all of their technologies, except WiMax, into one transceiver, so this ... (more)

jonny4 (Feb. 14, 2013 @ 1:35a) |

Not before 2015. You really planning to keep your current or next phone until then?

excoriatorb (Feb. 14, 2013 @ 11:13p) |

So I got my phone in ONE DAY! Activating it did require me to call them because their website screwed up. Yes, I was for... (more)

bduboff (Feb. 15, 2013 @ 10:03a) |

$45 Cash Back at b3fruga1
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Discontinued phone, no? Is this cheaper than street price?

ercme said:   Discontinued phone, no? Is this cheaper than street price?This is still current on Virgin Mobile. It is actually one of only two options for 4G (WiMax) phones on VM. The other is the HTC EVO V 4G, which I own & the SII matches or beats it in just about every area except screen resolution (Evo V has 540x960 vs 480x800 on the SII).

Street price on the VM Galaxy SII is around $279.99, so yes, this does appear to be cheaper

reg price is $329.99 so $100 off is great! ive been waiting and waiting.

If you read the reviews, the HTC EVO V has some issues with interference between the 4G and SMS. It is not clear that the issue has been resolved yet. The GSII is a great phone with lots of memory and good support from Samsung (Wish I could say that about all Samsung's phones, which is sadly not the case). If I were in the market, this phone at this price would be at the top of my list. The major down point is that there is no Wi-Max 4G coverage in my area (Metro Detroit), and there is no assurance that there ever will be... So, for me and my wife, we will be sticking with the offerings from MetroPCS, like the $50 LG Motion 4G, and the $200 LG Spirit 4G, which for about the same price, has most of the same features, and 4G coverage in my area...

You can check 4g Sprint coverage on this, http://shop2.sprint.com/en/stores/popups/4G_coverage_popup.shtml

If no wimax coverage then it will automatically default to 3g?

Yo Ma-Ma said:   You can check 4g Sprint coverage on this, http://shop2.sprint.com/en/stores/popups/4G_coverage_popup.shtml

If no wimax coverage then it will automatically default to 3g?
Yes, it will use 3G

If there is no WiMax coverage in your area at all, you should also be able to turn off 4G on the phone

Still a good phone, but keep an eye out for the new Google phone coming later this year. Rumored to be around $300 unlocked.

In celebration of "Break-up Day", this sale may have me breaking up with my horrible Motorola Triumph!!

bduboff said:   In celebration of "Break-up Day", this sale may have me breaking up with my horrible Motorola Triumph!!Hey, I love my triumph, I just don't think it feels the same. (Cables wont charge it anymore.)
Any chance well get a better deal tomorrow? It was $203 shipped recently. Virgin has great deals on holidays, I'm hoping tomorrow is better.

ColonelCash said:   Still a good phone, but keep an eye out for the new Google phone coming later this year. Rumored to be around $300 unlocked.

I thought that was the optimus g pro and was debunked as the next Google phone.. ?

I'd prefer black, maybe a case would cover up the trim anyway, hmm. Is Virgin Mobile as good a network as the bigs, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon?

According to Korean newspaper DDaily, which cites “industry insiders”, Samsung is getting ready to unveil the Galaxy S4 and it will begin producing its components. Even though there have been a lot of rumors which claimed that the Samsung Galaxy S4 will be launched at the beginning of April, the Korean publication claims that the company will release the handset in mid-March.http://www.android.gs/samsung-galaxy-s4-release-date-9/

Joe2836 said:   I'd prefer black, maybe a case would cover up the trim anyway, hmm. Is Virgin Mobile as good a network as the bigs, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon? It is Sprint. Mostly. Living in Buffalo I get great text and voice coverage. Data, not so much. Half the time its great, half the time nothing. Then again most places have wifi and I pay $27 a month. I say go for it.

How do you get $27/month? $35/month is Virgin Mobile's lowest plan on website.

There's a titanium color one. Just click that grey box.

DONE! So excited. THANKS FAT WALLET!!

Joe2836 said:   How do you get $27/month? $35/month is Virgin Mobile's lowest plan on website.
i think he has a grandfathered plan.
But they don't let you "upgrade" to the newer phones.

bduboff said:   In celebration of "Break-up Day", this sale may have me breaking up with my horrible Motorola Triumph!!You might also be breaking up with your grandfathered account, if you've been a VM customer that long. This phone requires a minimum $35/month account.

I broke up with my Optimus Slider and the SGII is sooooo much better than the grandfather-eligible phones that I don't regret having to pay more per month.

Joe2836 said:   How do you get $27/month? $35/month is Virgin Mobile's lowest plan on website.This phone would not be eligible for that plan.

The way you get that rate is to buy someone's grandfathered account. The drawback is that you don't get access to any VM handset models, like this one, released after May 2012.

ColonelCash said:   Still a good phone, but keep an eye out for the new Google phone coming later this year. Rumored to be around $300 unlocked.But an unlocked phone would be useless on Virgin Mobile, since the service on this prepaid provider is CDMA and it doesn't allow customers to BYOD.

Joe2836 said:   How do you get $27/month? $35/month is Virgin Mobile's lowest plan on website.FatWallet love. I got the phone from a FW post on black Friday of 2011 for $130 shipped. Activated last March then a few months later saw a FW post to lower into the grandfathered plan. (Go to the site, change plan and click "don't see plan here" in small text. Offers same plan for $10 less.)

The moral of the story is check FW daily.

jtroye32 said:   ColonelCash said:   Still a good phone, but keep an eye out for the new Google phone coming later this year. Rumored to be around $300 unlocked.

I thought that was the optimus g pro and was debunked as the next Google phone.. ?

I'm seeing stuff about the Motorola X, 5" screen and all that jazz. Rumored to be announced at Google I/O 2013 with the new version of Android (5.0) Although, it won't do much good if you want to stick with Virgin Mobile as others have pointed out.

Does Virgin still offer a plan reduction of $5 for autopay making the $35 plan $30?

I just checked and there is a $5 plan reduction but only if you are a new customer and if you buy an Iphone.

Fedexec said:   I just checked and there is a $5 plan reduction but only if you are a new customer and if you buy an Iphone.

You can be an existing customer, you just have to have an Iphone and have a credit card on file.

THIS IS JUST A WARNING, DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE IF YOU EXPECT TO KEEP YOUR 4G! Boost Mobile, Credo Mobile, EcoMobile, i-wireless, kajeet, KDDI Mobile, PrepaYd Wireless, Q Link Wireless, Ring Plus Inc, Ting, Toto Communications, Virgin Mobile USA and Zing PCS all run on the Sprint Network. Sprint is literally replacing the old 4g towers with the new ones, this means those fancy new 4g Wi-Max phones on these pre-paid companies will become obsolete and you will be back on old school 3g when it happens, which Sprint projects most major areas done within the year. They are not doing like AT&T and T-Mobile and just adding the LTE towers on top of their old tech.

will stores match this price?

jonny4 said:   THIS IS JUST A WARNING, DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE IF YOU EXPECT TO KEEP YOUR 4G! Boost Mobile, Credo Mobile, EcoMobile, i-wireless, kajeet, KDDI Mobile, PrepaYd Wireless, Q Link Wireless, Ring Plus Inc, Ting, Toto Communications, Virgin Mobile USA and Zing PCS all run on the Sprint Network. Sprint is literally replacing the old 4g towers with the new ones, this means those fancy new 4g Wi-Max phones on these pre-paid companies will become obsolete and you will be back on old school 3g when it happens, which Sprint projects most major areas done within the year. They are not doing like AT&T and T-Mobile and just adding the LTE towers on top of their old tech.

I tought they were about to buy 100% of Clearwire?
Why cut service instead of just keeping it for MVNO

I thought WiMax was going to be around until 2015 at least.

anyone know if WalMart will match virgin's sale price?
I'm looking at getting 2 HTC EVO V's..

CAN I USE THIS ON PAGEPLUS?

DovleK said:   jonny4 said:   THIS IS JUST A WARNING, DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE IF YOU EXPECT TO KEEP YOUR 4G! Boost Mobile, Credo Mobile, EcoMobile, i-wireless, kajeet, KDDI Mobile, PrepaYd Wireless, Q Link Wireless, Ring Plus Inc, Ting, Toto Communications, Virgin Mobile USA and Zing PCS all run on the Sprint Network. Sprint is literally replacing the old 4g towers with the new ones, this means those fancy new 4g Wi-Max phones on these pre-paid companies will become obsolete and you will be back on old school 3g when it happens, which Sprint projects most major areas done within the year. They are not doing like AT&T and T-Mobile and just adding the LTE towers on top of their old tech.

I thought they were about to buy 100% of Clearwire?

Why cut service instead of just keeping it for MVNO

AlphabetBackward said:   I thought WiMax was going to be around until 2015 at least.

Clearwire is also rolling out LTE the same way. Sprint's rollout schedule has been moved up and it now says most major areas will be LTE by the end of the year. That being said Sprint considers a city "launched" when they have a 20% coverage of the city. Houston was "launched" in June and they are only at about 50% coverage. I am only trying to inform people of the coming issues. WiMax never even had the coverage that Sprint claimed on their website anyways so you may not get 4g. I just hate when people buy something thinking they will get a feature and they don't because of false advertising. Sprint is releasing these "old" phones on these carriers to make money off a dying technology while ripping customers off. the answer to cutting of the services is because they don't have room on the towers to support so many technologies and they wanted to cut costs by integrating all these techs into one tower. WiMax was never a great technology anyways, it was basically a more powerful version of WiFi and didn't penetrate very well.

$45 Cash Back at b3fruga1

Do I need to be a Virgin Mobile customer to get this FatWallet CashBack discount?

I bought this phone about a month ago for the same price. Yes you do get FatCash back
Excellent phone. I honestly don't care for the way the phone switches between 4g and 3g. I turned it off. 3g is fast.
And with Vonage mobile and a $35 / month Virgin Mobile plan its a good deal and no contract - thank goodness

simsk

No

simsk said:   I bought this phone about a month ago for the same price. Yes you do get FatCash back
Excellent phone. I honestly don't care for the way the phone switches between 4g and 3g. I turned it off. 3g is fast.
And with Vonage mobile and a $35 / month Virgin Mobile plan its a good deal and no contract - thank goodness

simsk

I am very happy your 3g is fast. I left Sprint because their 3g here in Houston is abysmal, on a good day I get 200Kbps and I usually get slower than an old school dial up modem. They got the worst reviews in the PC Mag data write up this year. They swear after they finish their Vision network upgrade that everything, including 3g, will be faster but I can say that is bullshit because the vision rollout includes LTE and I had LTE at my house and I still got horrid 3g speeds.

What Sprint's Vision roll-out does is integrates all of their technologies, except WiMax, into one transceiver, so this means if an area has LTE then it has finished its Vision roll-out.

Skipping 2 Messages...
So I got my phone in ONE DAY! Activating it did require me to call them because their website screwed up. Yes, I was forced to "upgrade" from $25 to $35, but what the hell, my Triumph originally forced the same thing (I got in on the promotion to choose another plan) AND I'll have 4G. Hopefully there will be another chance to choose the $25 plan again. The phone is beautiful and having android 4 is great. I've ordered a case and screen protector and will not miss the crappy Triumph at all. Hello Samsung!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014