• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link

Rebate Link

Newegg Link for Reference

Details:

BB price $69.99 on sale
Galazy rebate: -$20 (-$18 if you choose the 'no wait')
Tax for me was another $5

My old 8800GT inside my HTPC/light gaming rig died the other day. The specs on the 640GT aren't amazing but it held it's own against the 8800GT at around half the power consumption so I gave it a shot. The live TV quality shows a slight improvement using a HDHomeRun Prime (ESPN.com scroll bar is more fluid, the intro to the Big Bang Theory is much less pixelated) and I was able to run around in Skyrim with med/high settings just fine. Other things to note is that the card does not need any extra external power, is a fraction of the size of the 8800GT, and much quieter.

I fully realize this is not a 'gamer' card so if that is what you are in the market for I suggest ignoring this post, but if you need something for your HTPC build and also want to do some casual gaming on your 65" TV at 1080p with medium graphics then this is probably $55 well spent.

Best Buy
See Best Buy promo codes that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Galaxy GeForce GT 640
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Yea I use a GT640 as a HTPC and very light gaming card.

Works fine for me and as said lower power over older cards.

"Distributors and dealers may not participate in this offer. "
Are u sure BB is particiapting?

I think that line is referencing who can purchase the item and claim the rebate, not the stores participating in the rebate itself. In any case, I filled out the rebate form online and there is a dropdown box with hundreds of retailers names to choose from...Best Buy B&M and Bestbuy.com were both on that list. The site accepted my submission and all I have to do is mail in the generated rebate form with the receipt and barcode.

Looks like a nice deal, I'm thinking about upgrading my Radeon 5670.

see review here by motherboard.org

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJPfHK4sz5c

Just bought and installed the card. Note....works fine so far with medium settings 1920 x 1080 with FX 6300 processor playing Bad company 2. You will better results on a 22 inch monitor running lower specs...

The fan is large so it quiet not like other models that use tiny fans that have to spin fast and of course make noise.

2nd purchased made at Best Buy in a long long time. I only got it since Newegg was higher, Amazon price was same but they charge tax..boo hoo...

If you just want a regular gaming card thats fine...this is not one of those killer cards for those that want the best...

When I see the price drop on GTX 650 or 660...I get one and upgrade later...

I know ATI radeons are cheaper and faster than Nvidia...but except for HDPC setups where ati sound goes to hdmi....Ati drivers with gaming is just too much of pain to deal with. Cataylst drivers updates are problematic.

thanks for the update and link...good job...by the way, this card gets pretty good reviews.

By the way...first install....remove all prior graphic drivers...install drivers off cd...restart...it take a few restarts and it will recognized the card in the device manager.
Windows 7 64 bit....forget XP..forget Windows 8

UPDATE SUNDAY...NOW 79.99

Best first game I played...Doom...486 amd 133mhz machine with 16megs (not gigs) overclocked to 160mhz...followed by Counter Strike. The good old days when 16 megs of ram was 600 dollars.(not gigs)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 9:30PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.