• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Pogoplug POGO-P21 Media Sharing Device - Black

$15 shipped @ Adorama

Link

Plug in your USB ext. drives to create your own Cloud or cheap NAS.

The web-based setup program detects the device on your network, and allows you to create a username and password so that you can securely access your files from any web browser, anywhere. Mobile access is also available via the iPhone, iPod touch, Android, Palm, and Blackberry.

Optional software is available for your Mac, Windows, or Linux computer. It provides desktop access to drives connected to the Pogoplug, and can also copy files to files stored on your Pogoplug drive automatically. Simply configure "watched" folders -- any files added to those folders will automatically be copied to a connected drive on the Pogoplug, ensuring that your latest downloads are available remotely.

Member Summary

Pogoplug POGO-P21 Media Sharing Device
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
this isn't really a NAS. NAS do not require proprietory software, a real NAS can also be used without even having intern... (more)

edsloter (Mar. 11, 2013 @ 5:20p) |

It probably gets posted because it makes a pretty functional, low power and affordable NAS that can run Arch Linux Arm f... (more)

paulgien (Mar. 11, 2013 @ 7:49p) |

This model doesn't require any proprietary software(I think the 4th version does). Add a drive. Hook it up to your net... (more)

lowerJerZey (Mar. 12, 2013 @ 12:05p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Anyone bought a Pogoplug lately and care to comment what the model inside was? Last P21 I bought was a E02, thinking about picking up another if it's a P21.

kami333 said:   Anyone bought a Pogoplug lately and care to comment what the model inside was? Last P21 I bought was a E02, thinking about picking up another if it's a P21.

For what it's worth, the latest review on Adorama (2-5-13) states they received an E02.

Mine is SLOW as hell though. I have no idea why. I am guessing that to get files to the unit on my LAN it must be run up to their server in order to come back down to the unit? It makes no sense for it to work that way but that is what it feels like!

As to your question -- I have a spare sitting around. How do you tell and WHY is it important to get the one you are looking for?

The version should be on the label, there are two different versions of this model, In order to hack it to run linux you must know because they have different steps. The old models are POGO-E02 POGO-E02G
while the new models are POGO-B01/02/03/04/P21. Going to (hopefully) turn this to an IP cam or wreck it in the process

i just bought a few now cancelling the order because reviews say they are worthless

I bought one a few months ago for $17. It functions OK as a bare bones NAS. You web to the Pogoplug site to do all file operations. Yes transfers are slow. Cannot select and copy a folder of files, you have to create the new folder on the Pogo drive, select all files, then drag and drop to Pogo drive. Their company is switching to their cloud services so IMO I doubt these will be produced for much longer.

And it's a lot bigger than it looked in the pictures. I thought it would be more along the lines of my Linksys SLU2 (which is still running SlugOS nicely after >6 years).

I loaded Linux on mine and it's OK but requires a lot of work to load and configure programs. You can find more information at Archlinuxarm.org Archlinuxarm.org

aww man. brought back some memories of THE SLUG. was one of my pet toys back in the day. made some pocket change dumping them off few yrs ago. the name was so cool...

back on topic, so i bought the pink one couple days ago. is this any diff inside?

This'll sound stupid but what's the difference between using an external eSata connection with an external drive and a Pogoplug-connected external hard drive? Wouldn't an eSata connection be faster? Can Pogoplug be used to harness the speed of eSata?

This'll sound stupid but what's the difference between using an external eSata connection with an external drive and a Pogoplug-connected external hard drive? Wouldn't an eSata connection be faster? Can Pogoplug be used to harness the speed of eSata?

In 4 1

Can you share a usb printer with this?

Regarding the speed subject, one is limited by your uplink transmission speed which for most providers is much lower then download.

Even used locally the Pogoplug will still uplink the file to there site, which you then download to a device on your local network.

Slow speeds are pretty well built in this device; that said it is still pretty capable if you choose to mod it.

GreenTrash said:   This'll sound stupid but what's the difference between using an external eSata connection with an external drive and a Pogoplug-connected external hard drive? Wouldn't an eSata connection be faster? Can Pogoplug be used to harness the speed of eSata?networking. also, this pogo probably doesnt do sata or esata.

knickdigger said:   GreenTrash said:   This'll sound stupid but what's the difference between using an external eSata connection with an external drive and a Pogoplug-connected external hard drive? Wouldn't an eSata connection be faster? Can Pogoplug be used to harness the speed of eSata?networking. also, this pogo probably doesnt do sata or esata.

One could always use an adapter.

GreenTrash said:   This'll sound stupid but what's the difference between using an external eSata connection with an external drive and a Pogoplug-connected external hard drive? Wouldn't an eSata connection be faster? Can Pogoplug be used to harness the speed of eSata?
If you are looking for speed, the external hard drives would be faster than a network drive (or NAS). The speed will be limited by the weakest link which is usually your network.

There are other comforts of having NAS. You do not have to physically connect to a computer. I use a NAS and all the computers, Bluray players, smartphones share the same NAS.

zapy said:   As to your question -- I have a spare sitting around. How do you tell and WHY is it important to get the one you are looking for?

Look at the bottom of your unit and see what the model number is, I don't think they every switched the cases, just the boxes (ie E02 in a P21 box).

P21 - 700MHz dual-core, 128MB RAM, hidden sata port
E02 - 1.2GHz single core, 256MB RAM, no sata

I have one of each running Archlinux (as well as a Dockstar), booting from the sata has been more reliable whereas booting from USB has messed up and loaded Pogoplug so I've had to reboot it.

I am so annoyed with their S/W that I no longer use the device. You need to install their S/W to access the device as a drive. Whenever you reboot the computer the S/W fires up in maximized mode and you need to manually minimize it. Pain Description

dtatha said:   I am so annoyed with their S/W that I no longer use the device. You need to install their S/W to access the device as a drive. Whenever you reboot the computer the S/W fires up in maximized mode and you need to manually minimize it. Pain Description

Yeah, have to say I was never a big fan of their software. I ran one with the Pogoplug software for a while, then switched to running the Pogoplug Server on my file server but quit because it was a resource hog. You can set it up to access it as just a shared drive via Samba but it's not officially supported link

For $15-30 I have no complaints about the hardware, even a Raspberry Pi will run you $50 after buying a power supply and case.

I consider the pogoplug software to be malware/spyware.

I personally do not trust them.

If you get one put Arch linux on it.

Thanks for posting.

Been looking at these since they came out, and at this price, it will be fun to play with it...dunno if I have any use for it, but I'll hack/play with it anyway.

I'm running two wordpress websites on my pogoplug at home, including a NAS. All off of a 64GB usb stick. Works great! Uses I think somewhere between 3-5Watts of power.

Thought I'd share, telling you that this is a good deal to get into if you want to save money and have lightweight needs for running websites.

If i install Debian Linux would i still be able to access the drives via smartphones and other mobile devices

anyone try plugging in a USB HUB to allow more than one drive? I have 5 1.5TB externals that I would like to be able to access anytime/anywhere and this might be a good way to accomplish this.

davilink said:   i just bought a few now cancelling the order because reviews say they are worthlessreviews at amaz0n say they are great. where are these other reviews that say they are "worthless?"

morecowbell said:   davilink said:   i just bought a few now cancelling the order because reviews say they are worthlessreviews at amaz0n say they are great. where are these other reviews that say they are "worthless?"

http://www.amazon.com/Pogoplug-POGO-E02-Multimedia-Sharing-Devic...

davilink said:   If i install Debian Linux would i still be able to access the drives via smartphones and other mobile devices

Not through Pogoplug. However there are other options that you can install in Debian such as ownCloud that will give you similar functionality. That's my next project, plus replace the Rasp Pi I currently have running as a webcam server.

Few things for those considering this and wanting to install Archlinux on it. First, if you're technically-capable of trying or learning new things, you can do this. I'm not a programmer, I work in business, but was able to teach myself in a few months command-line linux using archlinux. It's been a great hobby, and am now running two websites from home.

If you think you can do the following install, then you might be interested in picking one up and trying it out: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/pogoplug-provideov3

Also, Lifehacker has a good article on how to use these for a LAMP server. Their instructions are a little dated, but worth the read to understand what's involved: http://lifehacker.com/5637092/turn-a-pogoplug-into-a-fully+featu...

Finally, google archlinux and pogoplug and see what you get. There are several sites that explain how they use these for variety of uses across the home including, creating a reliable, inexpensive 24x7 NAS, integration with WIFI cameras, running OwnCloud, Samba for file sharing, etc.

Once you go down the rabbit hole, you'll either pull your hair out or enjoy the learning/tinkering experience. Archlinux isn't for the faint of heart, but if one is capable of learning and can google questions then you'll enjoy the experience.

The link indicates that the instruction is specifically for the following models.
Supported Model Numbers:
POGO-E02
POGO-E02G

Will I get E02/E02G when I order from Adorama?

I'm willing to try and learn... Thanks for sharing your experience!

huntrm said:   Few things for those considering this and wanting to install Archlinux on it. First, if you're technically-capable of trying or learning new things, you can do this. I'm not a programmer, I work in business, but was able to teach myself in a few months command-line linux using archlinux. It's been a great hobby, and am now running two websites from home.

If you think you can do the following install, then you might be interested in picking one up and trying it out: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/pogoplug-v2-pinkgray

Also, Lifehacker has a good article on how to use these for a LAMP server. Their instructions are a little dated, but worth the read to understand what's involved: http://lifehacker.com/5637092/turn-a-pogoplug-into-a-fully+featu...

Finally, google archlinux and pogoplug and see what you get. There are several sites that explain how they use these for variety of uses across the home including, creating a reliable, inexpensive 24x7 NAS, integration with WIFI cameras, running OwnCloud, Samba for file sharing, etc.

Once you go down the rabbit hole, you'll either pull your hair out or enjoy the learning/tinkering experience. Archlinux isn't for the faint of heart, but if one is capable of learning and can google questions then you'll enjoy the experience.

My bad, you are right. Here's the link for installing Archlinux (and I updated my posting): http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/pogoplug-provideov3

They updated the ARM5 with this quote: Recently, Cloud Engines has began shipping new Pink Pogoplugs with model numbers POGO-B01/02/03/04/P21 - these are completely different devices and you should NOT follow the guide on the installation tab above. Look in the "ARMv6" section for these models, or click here.

Also, check out the forums on this version of pogoplug: http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=29

lemonhead said:   anyone try plugging in a USB HUB to allow more than one drive? I have 5 1.5TB externals that I would like to be able to access anytime/anywhere and this might be a good way to accomplish this.

Pogoplug says a USB hub will work: http://download.pogoplug.com/support/faq.html

davilink said:   morecowbell said:   davilink said:   i just bought a few now cancelling the order because reviews say they are worthlessreviews at amaz0n say they are great. where are these other reviews that say they are "worthless?"

http://www.amazon.com/Pogoplug-POGO-E02-Multimedia-Sharing-Devic...

Here is the model that Adorama has/had on sale: link
It's the P21 (E02) black. And Adorama upped the price to $19, which is still a great price for someone to play with.

The Lifehacker articles have bad links, you will need to search on Archlinuxarm.org for current info.

funny the original link at the top of the page says $14.99 still but when i got my confirmation email from Adorama and click on the product link its say's $18.99 and if i do a search for the device only one is shown for $18.99 so i know i am getteing the EO2

In 4 1. Will experiment with Arch as NAS. My Asus RT-N13 B1 router fails to recognize USB 3.0 hard drives so this may be the solution.

The installation does not list model POGO-E02. Is there a different set of instructions for the E02?

In for 1 Thanks OP

Now $14.99 through eBay.
Link

It's very very slow to transfer data

Skipping 3 Messages...
edsloter said:   this isn't really a NAS. NAS do not require proprietory software, a real NAS can also be used without even having internet.. this thing you must upload to a server before you can download your own files. it has also been up for sale so many times its ridiculous. not sure why FW still keeps posting this, it has horrible reviews.

This model doesn't require any proprietary software(I think the 4th version does). Add a drive. Hook it up to your network. You'll need to register it to enable windows file sharing and change the workgroup(also enable ssh). Once you do that, you don't need the internet. It should now show up as a network device on all the PCs on your network. Mine shows up as FADSsomething. You can map it to a drive letter(or not) and use it strictly as a NAS. No software needed.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014