• Text Only
Epic fail by Staples. Available in-store only and my store does not even carry it period Really wanted to use my Staples GC from the visa prepaid deal, oh well Amazon here we come

I am pretty impress with the total footprint....much smaller than my last HP printer. Has anyone tried to use the PRINT on DVD/BLUE RAY Disk function?

pcmax said:   Epic fail by Staples. Available in-store only and my store does not even carry it period Really wanted to use my Staples GC from the visa prepaid deal, oh well Amazon here we come
Staples did have it available online Sunday when the sale started, sold out maybe? Wonder what the chances are it will come back in stock? But like you said, I wouldn't wait if you can get a good price at Amazon. Last time I looked Amazon had the MFC-J430W for like $74 but the MFC-J425W was only $59.99 and as I understand it is virtually identical with just some minor trim differences. And the MFC-J825DW which I bought is at Amazon for the same $89.99 sale price I paid at Staples but would be no tax for me. Unfortunately for me Amazon didn't PM until after I bought mine. Good luck whatever you get. And of course last time I checked Office Max, Office Depot and Best Buy all have a MFC-J43{X}W printer on sale for $59.99 which again as I understand it are virtually identical.

SpacelySprockets said:   pcmax said:   Epic fail by Staples. Available in-store only and my store does not even carry it period Really wanted to use my Staples GC from the visa prepaid deal, oh well Amazon here we come
Staples did have it available online Sunday when the sale started, sold out maybe? Wonder what the chances are it will come back in stock? But like you said, I wouldn't wait if you can get a good price at Amazon. Last time I looked Amazon had the MFC-J430W for like $74 but the MFC-J425W was only $59.99 and as I understand it is virtually identical with just some minor trim differences. And the MFC-J825DW which I bought is at Amazon for the same $89.99 sale price I paid at Staples but would be no tax for me. Unfortunately for me Amazon didn't PM until after I bought mine. Good luck whatever you get. And of course last time I checked Office Max, Office Depot and Best Buy all have a MFC-J43{X}W printer on sale for $59.99 which again as I understand it are virtually identical.


I even did an online chat with Staples rep hoping they could at least do a free ship but nope, sorry we are unable to blah blah blah.

SpacelySprockets said:   I actually ordered some Meritline ink just a bit ago. That's cool, I trust it well enough to use it. BUT, I may have found the better answer I've been looking for. First let me say I have absolutely no relationship to this company or stand to gain anything, just sharing what I found. I found them on Amazon then when and checked out the web site directly. The company is printpayless. They sell bottles of ink which they claim is specifically formulated For Brother which I assume means the additives such as glycerol and some cleaning fluids to keep the print head clear. The bottles can be used to directly fill the OEM cartridges, no syringe needed. But better yet they sell these clear pre-filled cartridges with easily accessible holes pre-drilled with plugs. They also sell other cool stuff like Continuous Ink Supply Systems but Not sure I really need that, have to think about it. Anyway, why I didn't find these guys before I don't know but I've very hopeful this will work out well for me so just passing along FYI for what it's worth.
I use to sell inkjet refill kits and bulk ink on line. (Became ill and closed my biz)
I would like to correct the above.

First off: I purchased a Brother MFC-J425W printer for my kids a few days ago. I just ordered 20 ink cartridges for the same printer for $13.68 shipped. (comes to .65¢ cents a cartridge) The cartridges hold about 30ml of ink (1 oz each)

If you were to buy the refillable cartridge from the site mentioned above, this is the break down:
$22.95 for refillable cartridges ÷ 4 cartridges = $5.74 a cartridge.

The bulk ink on the site cost $25.50 for 400ml of ink or 100ml of each color.
This would yield 3.33 refills of each color cartridge at a cost of: $1.92 per refill.

Total is: $22.95 + $25.50 = $48.45 ÷ 4 colors = $12.11 for each refillable cartridge and 3.3 refills. (shipping may be extra)

Personally, I recommend buying generic ink cartridges. (I just bought 20 @ .65¢ each through Amazon.com using Prime)
Refilling at this price is definitely not worthwhile. Spills will happen.
Have you ever spilled a few drops of ink on the carpet, counter or clothes?

And, I have a brother MFC-240C, that I bought from OfficeMax about 6 yrs ago.
I've used nothing but generic ink cartridges and never had a problem. Still work great!

Just my 2¢

Jes1 said:   SpacelySprockets said:   I actually ordered some Meritline ink just a bit ago. That's cool, I trust it well enough to use it. BUT, I may have found the better answer I've been looking for. First let me say I have absolutely no relationship to this company or stand to gain anything, just sharing what I found. I found them on Amazon then when and checked out the web site directly. The company is printpayless. They sell bottles of ink which they claim is specifically formulated For Brother which I assume means the additives such as glycerol and some cleaning fluids to keep the print head clear. The bottles can be used to directly fill the OEM cartridges, no syringe needed. But better yet they sell these clear pre-filled cartridges with easily accessible holes pre-drilled with plugs. They also sell other cool stuff like Continuous Ink Supply Systems but Not sure I really need that, have to think about it. Anyway, why I didn't find these guys before I don't know but I've very hopeful this will work out well for me so just passing along FYI for what it's worth.
I use to sell inkjet refill kits and bulk ink on line. (Became ill and closed my biz)
I would like to correct the above.

First off: I purchased a Brother MFC-J425W printer for my kids a few days ago. I just ordered 20 ink cartridges for the same printer for $13.68 shipped. (comes to .65¢ cents a cartridge) The cartridges hold about 30ml of ink (1 oz each)

If you were to buy the refillable cartridge from the site mentioned above, this is the break down:
$22.95 for refillable cartridges ÷ 4 cartridges = $5.74 a cartridge.

The bulk ink on the site cost $25.50 for 400ml of ink or 100ml of each color.
This would yield 3.33 refills of each color cartridge at a cost of: $1.92 per refill.

Total is: $22.95 + $25.50 = $48.45 ÷ 4 colors = $12.11 for each refillable cartridge and 3.3 refills. (shipping may be extra)

Personally, I recommend buying generic ink cartridges. (I just bought 20 @ .65¢ each through Amazon.com using Prime)
Refilling at this price is definitely not worthwhile. Spills will happen.
Have you ever spilled a few drops of ink on the carpet, counter or clothes?

And, I have a brother MFC-240C, that I bought from OfficeMax about 6 yrs ago.
I've used nothing but generic ink cartridges and never had a problem. Still work great!

Just my 2¢

I never said my new approach would be cheaper and in fact admitted above the generics would be cheaper. Your math is skewed as you "amortized" the refillable carts over only 3.3 refills, but I get the point and yes it will cost more. And the item I'm looking at from printpayless via Amazon includes 4 refillable Ink cartridges and 4 400ml bottles of "PrintPayLess Brand Anti-UV Bulk Refill Ink Specially Formulated for Brother: Cyan, Black, Magenta, and Yellow" for $29.80 + $6.90 shipping = $36.70. So that's $36.90 / 4 = 9.23 per cart with roughly 3 refills, so equivalent to about $3 bucks a cart. And beyond 3 refills that cost will go down some since I already have the cartridges. Your Amazon 68 cent carts are still the clean winner in cost per unit.

So yes, costs more, but still much cheaper than OEM with virtually identical ink formula vs generic dye ink sans additives. Looking at Staples web site a single set of C/Y/M/BK OEM carts is $65-$70, depending on if you buy a color multipack, plus tax. So the refill carts are still looking potentially good to me. What I'm looking for is ink with the additives to prevent clogging. We must not print enough to keep this from happening. Now our inkjet printers have lasted a decent length of time using generic ink but eventually clogged, three of them now over maybe 7 or 8 years. If the OEM formula ink can extend the life of my printers a bit then I might come out ahead overall.

And yes I've considered ink spills but thinking it's manageable if risky. Fill them in the garage over newspaper, let them sit for a while, wipe off and should be golden, knock on wood.

Nice to hear your experience, kind of calms me down, hah! Glad you chimed in, good alternative view.

Jes1 said:   SpacelySprockets said:   I actually ordered some Meritline ink just a bit ago. That's cool, I trust it well enough to use it. BUT, I may have found the better answer I've been looking for. First let me say I have absolutely no relationship to this company or stand to gain anything, just sharing what I found. I found them on Amazon then when and checked out the web site directly. The company is printpayless. They sell bottles of ink which they claim is specifically formulated For Brother which I assume means the additives such as glycerol and some cleaning fluids to keep the print head clear. The bottles can be used to directly fill the OEM cartridges, no syringe needed. But better yet they sell these clear pre-filled cartridges with easily accessible holes pre-drilled with plugs. They also sell other cool stuff like Continuous Ink Supply Systems but Not sure I really need that, have to think about it. Anyway, why I didn't find these guys before I don't know but I've very hopeful this will work out well for me so just passing along FYI for what it's worth.
I use to sell inkjet refill kits and bulk ink on line. (Became ill and closed my biz)
I would like to correct the above.

First off: I purchased a Brother MFC-J425W printer for my kids a few days ago. I just ordered 20 ink cartridges for the same printer for $13.68 shipped. (comes to .65¢ cents a cartridge) The cartridges hold about 30ml of ink (1 oz each)

If you were to buy the refillable cartridge from the site mentioned above, this is the break down:
$22.95 for refillable cartridges ÷ 4 cartridges = $5.74 a cartridge.

The bulk ink on the site cost $25.50 for 400ml of ink or 100ml of each color.
This would yield 3.33 refills of each color cartridge at a cost of: $1.92 per refill.

Total is: $22.95 + $25.50 = $48.45 ÷ 4 colors = $12.11 for each refillable cartridge and 3.3 refills. (shipping may be extra)

Personally, I recommend buying generic ink cartridges. (I just bought 20 @ .65¢ each through Amazon.com using Prime)
Refilling at this price is definitely not worthwhile. Spills will happen.
Have you ever spilled a few drops of ink on the carpet, counter or clothes?

And, I have a brother MFC-240C, that I bought from OfficeMax about 6 yrs ago.
I've used nothing but generic ink cartridges and never had a problem. Still work great!

Just my 2¢
Your 2c are worth much more. Thanks for taking the time.

@SpacelySprockets, If you're able to find out for sure that the "specially formulated for Brother" ink really does have the necessary ingredients, I'd be grateful if you'd post your findings here. I too only print very occasionally (every couple of weeks, maybe, often longer stretches than that). On the other hand, maybe I'll be printing more often now that I'll have a printer with all the modern conveniences and affordable generic ink.

Do we know that Meritline ink *doesn't* have those ingredients, though?
Also, do the automatic cleaning cycles on the Brother printer solve the ink-drying-out problem anyway?

TIA,
d.D.

SpacelySprockets said:   I actually ordered some Meritline ink just a bit ago. That's cool, I trust it well enough to use it. BUT, I may have found the better answer I've been looking for. First let me say I have absolutely no relationship to this company or stand to gain anything, just sharing what I found. I found them on Amazon then when and checked out the web site directly. The company is printpayless. They sell bottles of ink which they claim is specifically formulated For Brother which I assume means the additives such as glycerol and some cleaning fluids to keep the print head clear. The bottles can be used to directly fill the OEM cartridges, no syringe needed. But better yet they sell these clear pre-filled cartridges with easily accessible holes pre-drilled with plugs. They also sell other cool stuff like Continuous Ink Supply Systems but Not sure I really need that, have to think about it. Anyway, why I didn't find these guys before I don't know but I've very hopeful this will work out well for me so just passing along FYI for what it's worth.

dumpsterDiva said:   @SpacelySprockets, If you're able to find out for sure that the "specially formulated for Brother" ink really does have the necessary ingredients, I'd be grateful if you'd post your findings here. I too only print very occasionally (every couple of weeks, maybe, often longer stretches than that). On the other hand, maybe I'll be printing more often now that I'll have a printer with all the modern conveniences and affordable generic ink.

Do we know that Meritline ink *doesn't* have those ingredients, though?
Also, do the automatic cleaning cycles on the Brother printer solve the ink-drying-out problem anyway?

TIA,
d.D.

Good question.

Let me list you my assumptions and perhaps someone knows more. Unless a vendor states otherwise I'm assuming they use "universal ink" formulas. A universal formula is the cheaper way to go and it seems likely that if a vendor uses a "like OEM" formula that they will say so, to justify the added cost if nothing else. As I said above, I found a number of references to Brother OEM ink having some additives, glycerol specifically, to help prevent ink drying/clogging. So I am assuming a lot here and don't know for sure, would love input from anyone with information. I have found a few other vendors with similar statements. One of these sells a promising print head cleaner (WJ807) which I'm considering trying to see if I can revive some of my dead printers.

IF I decide to go this route, I plan to call the vendor I select before my purchase to ask some questions. I sort of doubt I'll be able to do this with Meritline or the cheap Amazon carts but maybe I'm wrong. I should add that the cost of this was shown above to be in the 4x range so more expensive for sure. However I don't do a whole lot of printing on the color inkjets. It's mostly for my family and sees light use. So it's not going to be a ton of $ in my case. I'm at least as concerned about keeping the printer alive. I do the bulk of my printing on a very old monochrome laser printer which sometimes seems like it will never die, hah. Now that I've said that watch it break today. At any rate, as I stated above, this is somewhat academic for me for the immediate future because before going down this line of thought I jumped the gun and ordered some Meritline ink so would have to use that up before going another route, I'm too cheap not to. And I did successfully use their ink for a long time with my last printer before the head finally clogged so probably not an immediate danger. Would be cool if I was able to somehow revive that printer by cleaning then I would always have a fallback plan and not be a worry.

Anyway, my two cents, alternative points of view?

Just ended getting the $89 mfc-j825dw at Staples instead. They wanted $18 for the extra warranty but said no. Sams Club price is $149 so figured it was a good deal.

blueis300 said:   Just ended getting the $89 mfc-j825dw at Staples instead. They wanted $18 for the extra warranty but said no. Sams Club price is $149 so figured it was a good deal.

I was kicking myself for missing out on not getting it off Amazon when it was $89, then I realized that I'm in CA, and no sales tax at Amazon is a thing of the past... tempted to pick this up.

blueis300 said:   Just ended getting the $89 mfc-j825dw at Staples instead. They wanted $18 for the extra warranty but said no. Sams Club price is $149 so figured it was a good deal.
Happened to notice that the MFC-J825DW comes with a 2 yr manufacturer warranty which is a good thing. Think the MFC-J430W is one year. Not that I've ever used such a warranty but nice to have I guess.

I received a few PM from some of you who wanted a link to the ink I purchased.
It went up a few cents. Here is it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062S4B8Q/

Jes1 said:   I received a few PM from some of you who wanted a link to the ink I purchased.
It went up a few cents. Here is it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062S4B8Q/


I love the price listing:

List Price: $280.00
Price: $14.05
You Save: $265.95 (95%)


There seems to be a noticeable number of recent reviews indicating problems with the cartridges drying prematurely, clogging and leaking, as well as compatibility issues with the 625, 825 and 835 printers.

KuoH

Jes1 said:   I received a few PM from some of you who wanted a link to the ink I purchased.
It went up a few cents. Here is it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062S4B8Q/

KuoH said:   There seems to be a noticeable number of recent reviews indicating problems with the cartridges drying prematurely, clogging and leaking, as well as compatibility issues with the 625, 825 and 835 printers.

KuoH

Jes1 said:   I received a few PM from some of you who wanted a link to the ink I purchased.
It went up a few cents. Here is it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062S4B8Q/

I'm a big believer in user reviews. I usually like to see the negative (1 or 2 star out of 5) reviews to be low, like 10-15% at most. There are almost always some negative reviews, if nothing else due to problems not related to the product like vendor issues or user error. These are a little low for my tastes, 25% negative the way I see it. On the other hand, over 50% 5 star so lots of folks like them. The Meritline cartridges have only 5 reviews, four 5 star and one 1 star. That's such a small sample size that I'm not sure it means anything.

5 star - 96 - 54%
4 star - 25 - 14%
3 star - 13 - 7%
2 star - 10 - 6%
1 star - 34 - 19%

SpacelySprockets said:   KuoH said:   There seems to be a noticeable number of recent reviews indicating problems with the cartridges drying prematurely, clogging and leaking, as well as compatibility issues with the 625, 825 and 835 printers.

KuoH

Jes1 said:   I received a few PM from some of you who wanted a link to the ink I purchased.
It went up a few cents. Here is it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062S4B8Q/

I'm a big believer in user reviews. I usually like to see the negative (1 or 2 star out of 5) reviews to be low, like 10-15% at most. There are almost always some negative reviews, if nothing else due to problems not related to the product like vendor issues or user error. These are a little low for my tastes, 25% negative the way I see it. On the other hand, over 50% 5 star so lots of folks like them. The Meritline cartridges have only 5 reviews, four 5 star and one 1 star. That's such a small sample size that I'm not sure it means anything.

5 star - 96 - 54%
4 star - 25 - 14%
3 star - 13 - 7%
2 star - 10 - 6%
1 star - 34 - 19%



The problem with the Amazon reviews are you don't know which seller they bought from unless it's stated in the review. All the 5 star ratings could be cartridges from one seller and the 1 star reviews all from one of the other sellers. All the ad states is they are generic, no telling if the sellers all get them from the same supplier.


I get mine from Meritline for that reason plus reviews from posters here that they haven't had a problem with them. The only problem I had with a couple of the ones from Meritline is that the printer didn't read the cartridge the first time I put it in. But but did on the second and one on the third try.

VegasVegan said:   The problem with the Amazon reviews are you don't know which seller they bought from unless it's stated in the review. All the 5 star ratings could be cartridges from one seller and the 1 star reviews all from one of the other sellers. All the ad states is they are generic, no telling if the sellers all get them from the same supplier.

I get mine from Meritline for that reason plus reviews from posters here that they haven't had a problem with them. The only problem I had with a couple of the ones from Meritline is that the printer didn't read the cartridge the first time I put it in. But but did on the second and one on the third try.

I haven't bought these from Amazon, only Meritline like you. Yes I can see the problem with mixing reviews of a generic product supplied by multiple vendors with no correlation back to who supplied the product. Definite flaw. Name brand stuff might not matter as much but no way to tell here if it's even the same product.

I don't mean to bash this post, actually green for OP, but I don't understand why this deal is so hot when back in August of 2012 it was on sale for $49.99. Actual post taken from the "other" site.

"Brother MFC-J430W Wireless All-in-One Inkjet Printer $50 + Free shipping

OfficeMax.com has the Brother MFC-J430W Inkjet All-in-One for sale right now for $49.99. This is a great price for the printer and the ink can easily be found for 5-10 dollars for sets of 10-20 online.

Free shipping over $50. I used binder clips as a filler.

Also a 5 off 25 coupon in weekly add"

Same as it ever was, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Normal price $100 down to $60 is pretty good. And can be bought NOW, not 6 months ago.

It's hot because it's the best deal going NOW. We can't use a time machine.

That said I've decided against the Brother purchase. I only use 2-3 ink cartridges per year and I don't want to take any chances. Penny wise and pound foolish...

cpabster said:   It's hot because it's the best deal going NOW. We can't use a time machine.

That said I've decided against the Brother purchase. I only use 2-3 ink cartridges per year and I don't want to take any chances. Penny wise and pound foolish...

You don't HAVE to buy generic cartridges you know, it's just if you do it makes this pretty cheap to operate. And it's very easy to do since brother cartridges aren't chipped with crazy "warranty violation circuitry" like some vendors use.

Are you still getting a printer? Just curious what make/model if so.

I currently have a 10 year old Brother laser printer that no longer works very well. I'm thinking of replacing it with one of these.

Can somebody who has purchased this printer comment on the quality of text output? I'm assuming inkjets have improved in that respect over the years.

rocklobster said:   I currently have a 10 year old Brother laser printer that no longer works very well. I'm thinking of replacing it with one of these.

Can somebody who has purchased this printer comment on the quality of text output? I'm assuming inkjets have improved in that respect over the years.

Unless you need the features of this all-in-one, a laser printer is still a better option for speed/reliability/cost of operation. That said, I still recommend the Brother brand. I have had both a HL2040 and am now using a HL2170W. Both (now discontinued models) have performed quite well and economically. The current 22XX series should be likewise good. Like the inkjet discussed here, Brother laser printers work well with cheaper, generic toner carts.

You want want to check out the multi-function Brother laser in this thread: Link

Brother text is decent, not as good as my laser though. If you don't need/want color then laser is the way to go. Particularly if you want it resistant to running when wet. My laser doesn't run. Brother MFC black ink, at least the OEM, is pigment ink and resistant to running when wet. The color inks are dye and pretty easily damaged by liquids.

Jes1 said:   SpacelySprockets said:   I actually ordered some Meritline ink just a bit ago. That's cool, I trust it well enough to use it. BUT, I may have found the better answer I've been looking for. First let me say I have absolutely no relationship to this company or stand to gain anything, just sharing what I found. I found them on Amazon then when and checked out the web site directly. The company is printpayless. They sell bottles of ink which they claim is specifically formulated For Brother which I assume means the additives such as glycerol and some cleaning fluids to keep the print head clear. The bottles can be used to directly fill the OEM cartridges, no syringe needed. But better yet they sell these clear pre-filled cartridges with easily accessible holes pre-drilled with plugs. They also sell other cool stuff like Continuous Ink Supply Systems but Not sure I really need that, have to think about it. Anyway, why I didn't find these guys before I don't know but I've very hopeful this will work out well for me so just passing along FYI for what it's worth.
I use to sell inkjet refill kits and bulk ink on line. (Became ill and closed my biz)
I would like to correct the above.

First off: I purchased a Brother MFC-J425W printer for my kids a few days ago. I just ordered 20 ink cartridges for the same printer for $13.68 shipped. (comes to .65¢ cents a cartridge) The cartridges hold about 30ml of ink (1 oz each)

If you were to buy the refillable cartridge from the site mentioned above, this is the break down:
$22.95 for refillable cartridges ÷ 4 cartridges = $5.74 a cartridge.

The bulk ink on the site cost $25.50 for 400ml of ink or 100ml of each color.
This would yield 3.33 refills of each color cartridge at a cost of: $1.92 per refill.

Total is: $22.95 + $25.50 = $48.45 ÷ 4 colors = $12.11 for each refillable cartridge and 3.3 refills. (shipping may be extra)

Personally, I recommend buying generic ink cartridges. (I just bought 20 @ .65¢ each through Amazon.com using Prime)
Refilling at this price is definitely not worthwhile. Spills will happen.
Have you ever spilled a few drops of ink on the carpet, counter or clothes?

And, I have a brother MFC-240C, that I bought from OfficeMax about 6 yrs ago.
I've used nothing but generic ink cartridges and never had a problem. Still work great!

Just my 2¢

That equation changes slightly when the refillable carts are $10 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190677960729

I don't have the exact price I paid for refill bottles but I'm pretty sure they're less than what was figured above.

Personally, I always have 2 printers, one inkjet multi-function like this one that i use for copying/scanning and printing color and a cheap brother laser to use for text.....Given how cheap printers are (you can get brother laser for 50 on sale on Amazon right now and this inkjet one obviously is on sale for 60) seems like the best setup for someone who prints on a regular basis.

peas said:   That equation changes slightly when the refillable carts are $10 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190677960729

I don't have the exact price I paid for refill bottles but I'm pretty sure they're less than what was figured above.

Thanks, good find. It certainly is cheaper than the cartridges by themselves from the vendor I listed. Not sure about a bundle including ink, will have to do some comparisons. I hadn't checked eBay, not sure why. Nice most eBay vendors have pretty detailed descriptions. As I suspected every vendor I checked selling what was billed as Brother compatible ink had dye based black ink rather than the pigment ink Brother actually sells in MFC printer cartridges. Not the end of the world I guess but I do like water resistant print. Confirms my suspicion that I better verify a vendors black ink is pigment if I want pigment. I did find one vendor that sold Brother compatible bottles of pigment in black -and- colors as well. Pretty sure that you can run either dye or pigment in these. Well I guess that is proved by the fact that Brother cartridges are pigment for black and dye for magenta, yellow and cyan. Just re-read why color pigment ink is a bad idea, don't mix well or work well on photo paper. But for black it's good stuff.

Will this printer feed the thicker paper used for business cards?

dXb147 said:   Will this printer feed the thicker paper used for business cards?
Looking at the specs for the MFC-J430W, http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail/4/MFCJ430W/spec, looks like the acceptable sheet weight range is 17-58 lbs which could very likely be a problem with printing business card stock. Looks like the same spec for the MFC-J825DW. Pretty sure I've used card stock in the past in the 75-80 lb range which sounds like won't play with these printers.

SpacelySprockets said:   dXb147 said:   Will this printer feed the thicker paper used for business cards?
Looking at the specs for the MFC-J430W, http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail/4/MFCJ430W/spec, looks like the acceptable sheet weight range is 17-58 lbs which could very likely be a problem with printing business card stock. Looks like the same spec for the MFC-J825DW. Pretty sure I've used card stock in the past in the 75-80 lb range which sounds like won't play with these printers.


I ran a half a dozen sheets of 67# card stock through my J430W the other day and it took them like a champ.

VegasVegan said:   SpacelySprockets said:   dXb147 said:   Will this printer feed the thicker paper used for business cards?
Looking at the specs for the MFC-J430W, http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail/4/MFCJ430W/spec, looks like the acceptable sheet weight range is 17-58 lbs which could very likely be a problem with printing business card stock. Looks like the same spec for the MFC-J825DW. Pretty sure I've used card stock in the past in the 75-80 lb range which sounds like won't play with these printers.


I ran a half a dozen sheets of 67# card stock through my J430W the other day and it took them like a champ.

Thanks, great news, I had no first hand experience with this so was just quoting specs. Sometimes specs are conservative, sometimes optimistic

rocklobster said:   I currently have a 10 year old Brother laser printer that no longer works very well. I'm thinking of replacing it with one of these.

Can somebody who has purchased this printer comment on the quality of text output? I'm assuming inkjets have improved in that respect over the years.


I hesitated jumping on this deal because I had a trusty 6 year old Brother with a continuous ink system that I used daily for a home business. This model is much more compact, at least half as quiet and twice as fast. The Android app is pretty slick, took a pic and immediately test printed it out wirelessly. It even looked great on just regular Staples copy paper with no special settings. I'd recommend it, you won't be disappointed.

Noticed that inkproducts has a little blurb on their web site which states:

- begin copied text -
The best settings to print with on the Brother is:
1. Choose inkjet paper not plain paper.
2. the default will be photo or normal
The printer will print a little slower but the print head will last longer.
This setting is best when you have text and color graphics.
- end copied text -

English is a little broken but seemingly is recommending paper type setting of "inkjet paper". I've never tried this but will give it a go to see what it does. Anyone happen to know what it actually does?

Don't try to install the generic cartriges before using the starter cartridges that come with the new printer. They will not install until after the starter cartridges have been installed.

Dang, wish I had gotten one of those $25 off $75 Staples coupons. I would have jumped on the 825. I could use a new multi-function. I have an old 5460cn but the scanner is so darned difficult to get setup right on it. I just need something that works mostly out of the box and is wireless....

russellt said:   Don't try to install the generic cartriges before using the starter cartridges that come with the new printer. They will not install until after the starter cartridges have been installed.
Yes the instructions clearly state to first use the starter cartridges. And I even read them this time!

bghunter said:   I don't mean to bash this post, actually green for OP, but I don't understand why this deal is so hot when back in August of 2012 it was on sale for $49.99. Actual post taken from the "other" site.

"Brother MFC-J430W Wireless All-in-One Inkjet Printer $50 + Free shipping

OfficeMax.com has the Brother MFC-J430W Inkjet All-in-One for sale right now for $49.99. This is a great price for the printer and the ink can easily be found for 5-10 dollars for sets of 10-20 online.

Free shipping over $50. I used binder clips as a filler.

Also a 5 off 25 coupon in weekly add"


Because that was back in Aug of 2012. Hasn't been that price in awhile, and for many, the extra $10 is a drop in the bucket when some of the ink they are buying for their current printer (say HP) runs them $50 for color/black inks.

peas said:   Jes1 said:   SpacelySprockets said:   I actually ordered some Meritline ink just a bit ago. That's cool, I trust it well enough to use it. BUT, I may have found the better answer I've been looking for. First let me say I have absolutely no relationship to this company or stand to gain anything, just sharing what I found. I found them on Amazon then when and checked out the web site directly. The company is printpayless. They sell bottles of ink which they claim is specifically formulated For Brother which I assume means the additives such as glycerol and some cleaning fluids to keep the print head clear. The bottles can be used to directly fill the OEM cartridges, no syringe needed. But better yet they sell these clear pre-filled cartridges with easily accessible holes pre-drilled with plugs. They also sell other cool stuff like Continuous Ink Supply Systems but Not sure I really need that, have to think about it. Anyway, why I didn't find these guys before I don't know but I've very hopeful this will work out well for me so just passing along FYI for what it's worth.
I use to sell inkjet refill kits and bulk ink on line. (Became ill and closed my biz)
I would like to correct the above.

First off: I purchased a Brother MFC-J425W printer for my kids a few days ago. I just ordered 20 ink cartridges for the same printer for $13.68 shipped. (comes to .65¢ cents a cartridge) The cartridges hold about 30ml of ink (1 oz each)

If you were to buy the refillable cartridge from the site mentioned above, this is the break down:
$22.95 for refillable cartridges ÷ 4 cartridges = $5.74 a cartridge.

The bulk ink on the site cost $25.50 for 400ml of ink or 100ml of each color.
This would yield 3.33 refills of each color cartridge at a cost of: $1.92 per refill.

Total is: $22.95 + $25.50 = $48.45 ÷ 4 colors = $12.11 for each refillable cartridge and 3.3 refills. (shipping may be extra)

Personally, I recommend buying generic ink cartridges. (I just bought 20 @ .65¢ each through Amazon.com using Prime)
Refilling at this price is definitely not worthwhile. Spills will happen.
Have you ever spilled a few drops of ink on the carpet, counter or clothes?

And, I have a brother MFC-240C, that I bought from OfficeMax about 6 yrs ago.
I've used nothing but generic ink cartridges and never had a problem. Still work great!

Just my 2¢

That equation changes slightly when the refillable carts are $10 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190677960729

I don't have the exact price I paid for refill bottles but I'm pretty sure they're less than what was figured above.

and you failed to factor in getting $2 recycle credit for each generic cart, something you get ZERO for with refillables.

MISTERCHEAP said:   ... and you failed to factor in getting $2 recycle credit for each generic cart, something you get ZERO for with refillables.
Yes you're essentially getting paid around $1/cartridge (after recycle credit) with the cheap generics. I'm just looking to lower risk to my printer life and get better quality results, at least for the black ink (assuming I purchase black pigment ink like Brother OEM vs black dye ink used in most cheap generic ink). It would come at a cost of course. Haven't decided yet if it's worth it. If I didn't mention it here before, inkproducts sells a pretty nifty vacuum system for refilling Brother LC71/75 OEM cartridges, see it at http://www.inkproducts.com/ink-store441/home.php?cat=4



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014